A Nation Divided...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I crazy or was one of the posters a few pages back rubbing their hands at the thought of a second civil war? That caught my attention a lot more than esoteric doctrinal debates concerning the precise flavour of Limbaugh's toxicity. Entertaining as they are.

In case you needed any more convincing that Congressman Grayson is near certifiable...

YouTube - Rep Alan Grayson: Fox News Is The "Enemy Of America"

This from the 4:05 to 4:24 mark:

"Fox News and their Republican collaborators are the enemy of America. They're the enemy of anybody of who cares about healthcare in this country, the enemy of anybody who cares about educating their children, the enemy of everybody who wants energy independence or anything good for this country and certainly the enemy of peace. There's no doubt about that. They are the enemy."

This guy deserves a fat lip. Good thing we have an honest, responsible host in Ed Schultz over there at MSNBC who didn't hesitate to jump in and reprimand the guy. Oh? He didn't do that? I'm shocked. My mistake.

In case you needed any more convincing that Congressman Grayson is near certifiable...

YouTube - Rep Alan Grayson: Fox News Is The "Enemy Of America"

This from the 4:05 to 4:24 mark:

"Fox News and their Republican collaborators are the enemy of America. They're the enemy of anybody of who cares about healthcare in this country, the enemy of anybody who cares about educating their children, the enemy of everybody who wants energy independence or anything good for this country and certainly the enemy of peace. There's no doubt about that. They are the enemy."

This guy deserves a fat lip. Good thing we have an honest, responsible host in Ed Schultz over there at MSNBC who didn't hesitate to jump in and reprimand the guy. Oh? He didn't do that? I'm shocked. My mistake.

This whole business of going after Fox is a waste of time in my opinion. All the Dems are doing is playing right into their hands and increasing their ratings. I understand the Obama administration feels like it needs to play hardball what with the whole healthcare debate being highjacked but I don't think this is the way to do it. Take a firm stand for a public option--that's the kind of hardball we need, not calling Fox the enemy of America.

This whole business of going after Fox is a waste of time in my opinion. All the Dems are doing is playing right into their hands and increasing their ratings. I understand the Obama administration feels like it needs to play hardball what with the whole healthcare debate being highjacked but I don't think this is the way to do it. Take a firm stand for a public option--that's the kind of hardball we need, not calling Fox the enemy of America.

I agree.

ok, putting aside whether or not it's a good idea to go after Fox News, for all your complaints about mean old MSNBC, the fact that it does have such partisan political entertainment shows is the fault of Fox. it was Fox who came out with a relentlessly partisan, clearly conservative point of view and called it news. they made money. they found an audience. in response, MSBNC did the same in the opposite direction.

however, can anyone honestly, HONESTLY, tell me that a horrifying piece of hackish like this belongs on a network that has "news" in the title? this is so beyond the pale i actually found it upsetting, and it's a tremendous blueprint for how Fox "News" actually works. you find an out-of-context point of coincidence, not even agreement or association, and you then "ask the question" about said person's beliefs and how they must possible could coincide with the other, more radical person. i.e., "critics are asking questions about a possible association."

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910070042

click on the link and watch the video. it's the height of irresponsibility, and it's filled with shocking homophobia -- that stands right in line with the anti-marriage equality folks who keep talking about some kind of "threat" to the "children" represented by gays en masse -- that ultimately gets people killed.

...and still a poor choice for a safe school czar

... and, why?

i'm assuming that you have some reasons. what are they? and if they are good reasons, do you think Hannity could have brought them up without making the odious, tired, and specious connections between one/any gay man and fringe-of-the-fringe group NAMBLA?

or is this because it's not so much about the qualifications but a moment where Fox News can create a link between whatever group -- in this case, gays -- and a generalized, vague and totally irrational fear about said group and then tie all those things to Obama? doesn't Hannity's smear tie directly in to the attack ad about Obama wanting to teach sex ed to kindergardeners?

this is why Fox News isn't news. it's not. the administration is calling a spade a spade.

Big Government ? Blog Archive ? Florida Journalist Speaks His Own ‘Truth’ to Those Out of Power

A journalist for the Key News in Florida sent out an email that get out in which he says this:

"You know what? I don't believe one word you or other conservatives say. The Republican Party is now a group of mentally ill people who want nothing more than to destroy Obama's first term no matter how much the country needs his policies. I despise your party's activities and the hatred you spew on Fox and other sounding boards for the insurance companies. Please don't you dare get him killed, which is the underlying goal of you right wing nuts."

Wow, the liberal trifecta! Republicans are mentally ill, Fox News is a puppet, and conservatives want Obama to get killed! Well done. :cute:

One can only hope there are no more "journalists" out there like this. But I doubt it. At least if he gets fired for this, I'm sure there's a job waiting for him over at MSNBC. :love:

Big Government � Blog Archive � Florida Journalist Speaks His Own ‘Truth’ to Those Out of Power

A journalist for the Key News in Florida sent out an email that get out in which he says this:

"You know what? I don't believe one word you or other conservatives say. The Republican Party is now a group of mentally ill people who want nothing more than to destroy Obama's first term no matter how much the country needs his policies. I despise your party's activities and the hatred you spew on Fox and other sounding boards for the insurance companies. Please don't you dare get him killed, which is the underlying goal of you right wing nuts."

Wow, the liberal trifecta! Republicans are mentally ill, Fox News is a puppet, and conservatives want Obama to get killed! Well done. :cute:

One can only hope there are no more "journalists" out there like this. But I doubt it. At least if he gets fired for this, I'm sure there's a job waiting for him over at MSNBC. :love:

What exactly is your point? That journalists are supposed to be void of opinion out of the office as well? Don't kid yourself. The moment they step off screen, the claws come out and they can say whatever the hell they like, especially on the freaking internet, of all places.
Or is there a politically numbing pill that reporters must take daily in order to ensure that they never reveal a single statement that sounds like they can form an opinion?

Why aren't you freaking out at the blatant invasion of privacy?

What exactly is your point? That journalists are supposed to be void of opinion out of the office as well?

Yeah, that's what I said. :hi5:

That goes a little beyond "having an opinion," don't you think? It's pretty ridiculous when you have anybody saying that Republicans are mentally ill and want Obama to get assassinated, and the fact that this guy is a reporter is just plain worrisome and irresponsible. When you have a guy that far to the left, I'd be surprised if this guy was able to suppress all his hatred in order to do fair, honest reporting and investigating.

Of this I-can-find-a-guy-just-as-screwy-on-your-side-so-i'll-continue-ignoring-how-bad-my-guy-is mentality.

Oh please! I've yet to see BVS or any other liberals here give examples of crazy liberals! Are you going to say this same thing to him? But you want me to post some ultra-partisan, wacky conservatives? Fine. I totally condemn the birther movement or anyone who comes to a tea party showing Obama as Hitler or telling him to go back to Africa or whatever it is. They're CRAZY! :coocoo:

Your turn.

That goes a little beyond "having an opinion," don't you think? It's pretty ridiculous when you have anybody saying that Republicans are mentally ill and want Obama to get assassinated, and the fact that this guy is a reporter is just plain worrisome and irresponsible. When you have a guy that far to the left, I'd be surprised if this guy was able to suppress all his hatred in order to do fair, honest reporting and investigating.

but this is what Fox "News" does 24/7. :shrug:

This thread, and any thread on anything to do with politics, just divides us even more. :sigh:

It doesn't have to though. We can have different views and still see each other as human beings. For example, even though I'm sure say, 2861, finds my views wrongheaded and vice versa, I'm pretty sure he's the sort that would help me change a flat tire if I was stranded on the side of the road, and vice versa.

It doesn't have to though. We can have different views and still see each other as human beings. For example, even though I'm sure say, 2861, finds my views wrongheaded and vice versa, I'm pretty sure he's the sort that would help me change a flat tire if I was stranded on the side of the road, and vice versa.

Indeed. But I feel like these threads bring out the worst of us. :reject:

Indeed. But I feel like these threads bring out the worst of us. :reject:

It does feel that way sometimes. But, I don't know for me, even when I get hot under the collar (see Racism thread), it doesn't run very deep for me.

Yeah. I feel like I'm always pissing people off, even though I try to be level-headed and polite.. :wave:

It's easy to be polite when you're the one advocating to remove people from the Constitution, or making sure they don't have access to health care, or denying them the right to make their own reproductive decisions.

Politeness will only get you so far.

It's easy to be polite when you're the one advocating to remove people from the Constitution, or making sure they don't have access to health care, or denying them the right to make their own reproductive decisions.

In other words, this is a one way street. If you have a view that believes that the Constitution doesn't encompass legislated marriage for gay people, or have a view that health care is run better by the private sector, or have a view sympathetic to the rights of conceived but as yet unborn citizens, then you're just plain wrong, and the folk that are right are quite entitled to be impolite, because, after all, they are right. Essentially, you're just advocating rudeness for the sake of it, because you already 'know' you're right. To me, that comes across as extreme, to be honest. Maybe fanaticism doesn't just exist on the Christian Domininist right.

Thank you for making my point.

In other words, this is a one way street. If you have a view that believes that the Constitution doesn't encompass legislated marriage for gay people, or have a view that health care is run better by the private sector, or have a view sympathetic to the rights of conceived but as yet unborn citizens, then you're just plain wrong, and the folk that are right are quite entitled to be impolite, because, after all, they are right. Essentially, you're just advocating rudeness for the sake of it, because you already 'know' you're right. To me, that comes across as extreme, to be honest. Maybe fanaticism doesn't just exist on the Christian Domininist right.

the point you're missing is that things that martha pointed out all involve taking rights/benefits away from people. and the people that would take these things away aren't personally affected by them.

thus, the individual who senses that his own rights are being ripped away from him is going to have a difficult time being polite when he feels as if others are trying to destroy his family, trying to force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term, or keeping someone uninsured.

for some people, these are intellectual abstractions. for others, it's in their blood.

for some people, these are intellectual abstractions. for others, it's in their blood.

Exactly. Of course we all strive to maintain a civil discourse. It's not out of bounds to point out that on certain issues for certain people for whom the issue strikes particularly close to home, it just happens to be a little harder to maintain that civility. And the rest of us should be able to understand that. That's not excuse for rude behavior and I'm pretty sure the mods won't make allowances for objectionable behavior just because it happens to be a hot topic for someone. But at the same time, I think they'll allow for posters to be a little more heated in their replies when they know it's an issue that affects the poster personally.

Yeah, that's what I said. :hi5:

That's the first amendment for ya. I still don't see your point. He has radical views to you.

As Irvine said, FOX news takes some mild views and occasionally some pretty radical views and puts them on the front page. This doesn't worry you? At least this guy didn't say this stuff on air.

Are we really going to chastise people for what they post on a message board? If that's the case, then interference better start making the delete button for old posts commonplace. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom