A Nation Divided... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #46
She's the One

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Rush Limbaugh is not sexist AT ALL. WTF do I know as a woman, anyway.
Why would a guy who engages in sexual tourism think less of women? He LOVES them!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
"Some of these babes, I'm telling you, like the sexual harassment crowd. They're out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things.
I'm convinced.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:53 PM
So, what were the racist statements from Rush Limbaugh?

Please post the quotes and your source.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Top 10 Rush Limbaugh Racist Quotes | News One

This is just what came up for me in a quick search-according to this site and this author. It's also dated Oct 20th 2008, so it has nothing to do with the Rams situation.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Top 10 Rush Limbaugh Racist Quotes | News One

This is just what came up for me in a quick search-according to this site and this author. It's also dated Oct 20th 2008, so it has nothing to do with the Rams situation.

I read the site you posted.

I like the comment, on the page, by SuzieQQ, "Let’s all make up more quotes and claim Rush said them."

I know it was a quick search and thanks for posting it, but I think the site just shows that "the truth" is not what most people are looking for.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

So the sources are fabricated?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I see that-but the NFL and some of their other decisions could have already alienated some fans. Have I stopped watching football because of them? No. Would I if Rush owned part of the Rams? No. I also don't have to work for or with the guy. But for the NFL to act all high and mighty in this instance is sort of laughable. I get that Goodell has been trying to improve things and that this is probably part of that-but they are certainly not coming from a place of moral purity. Are some of the past decisions they have made on par with being in business with Rush? It depends upon your perspective, I guess. I can't believe that all of their owners are as pure as the driven snow either as far as racist or sexist, etc. leanings. I'm sure they're just not as vocal about it as Rush Limbaugh is.
I don't believe for a second that the NFL owners are doing this out of any kind of nobility - they just know that Rush is a lightning rod for controversy and unlike Rush's radio show, which is listened to by professed "dittoheads," the NFL audience is diverse. Sure, some customers/fans are probably either Rush fans or just don't care if he owns the team or not, but the owners probably figured they could find someone else with deep pockets who doesn't carry so much baggage and potential risk of offending paying customers. If there wasn't that risk, I'm sure the owners would welcome Rush with open arms.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
So the sources are fabricated?

From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated,

It's funny that Limbaugh's radio show is on five days a week and these "racists" statements are just now being exposed.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton statements are so pure and should never be questioned.

It seems to be.

*We are still so far from MLK's dream
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #54
She's the One

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I know it was a quick search and thanks for posting it, but I think the site just shows that "the truth" is not what most people are looking for.

Did you listen to the audio?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated
Why? Even the quotes from his own show?

And something from 08 isn't just coming out now. One of the sources I clicked on there is dated 2000-so that's not just coming out now either. This one.

Limbaugh

6/7/00

Limbaugh
A Color Man Who Has a Problem With Color?

By Jeff Cohen and Steve Rendall

Talk radio host Rush Limbaugh may be returning to television. He recently auditioned for a job as color commentator on ABC's Monday Night Football. The tryout followed weeks of self-promotion by the self-styled "truth detector" to the millions who listen daily to his syndicated radio show on some 600 stations.

Limbaugh's audition is stirring controversy. Sports columnist Thomas Boswell quipped that if Limbaugh joins Monday Night Football, then baseball's game of the week broadcasters might "team up with John Rocker."

Veteran sports writer Michael Wilbon, who is black, indicated a boycott might result: "If Rush Limbaugh is put in that booth, I will NOT listen to the broadcast," he wrote in a Washington Post chat session. "His views on people like me are well documented and I would find it insulting and hypocritical to watch him…There are tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands who feel the same way I do."

If ABC hires Limbaugh, it's not clear a boycott will materialize. What is clear is that his expressed views on racial matters -- from the spiteful to the sophomoric -- would make him an odd color commentator. Indeed, CBS Sports dismissed Jimmy the Greek Snyder for ignorant racial remarks less derisive than some of Limbaugh's.

As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a 90-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's Jeffersons when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.

Such quotes and antics -- many compiled by Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR) for our 1995 book -- offer a whiff of Limbaugh's racial sensibility. So does his claim that racism in America "is fueled primarily by the rantings and ravings" of people like Jesse Jackson. Or his ugly reference two years ago to the father of Madonna's first child, a Latino, as "a gang member-type guy" -- an individual with no gang background.

In 1994, Limbaugh mocked St. Louis for building a rail line to East St. Louis "where nobody goes." East St. Louis is home to roughly 40,000 residents -- 98 percent of whom are African-Americans. One of its 40,000 "nobodies" is star NFL linebacker Bryan Cox.

Once, in response to a caller arguing that black people need to be heard, Limbaugh responded: "They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?" That's not an unusual response for a talk radio host playing to an audience of "angry white males." It may not play so well among National Football League players, 70 percent of whom are African American.

Compared to some talk radio hosts, racism is not central to Rush Limbaugh's shtick. But there has been a pattern of commentary indicating his willingness to exploit prejudice against blacks to further his on-air arguments.

ABC has the right to hire Limbaugh, even at the risk of alienating members of its audience. (Monday Night Football is the second-most-watched TV show in black households). Thrust into the world of pro football where Limbaugh himself would be something of a racial minority, is it possible that he'd rise above his history of racial bigotry and insensitivity? Not likely.

When all is said and done, the athletes are the key players on Monday Night Football. It would be great to know how they'd feel about a color man who seems to have trouble with people of color.

A version of this appeared in the Los Angeles Times, 6/7/2000
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated,

It's funny that Limbaugh's radio show is on five days a week and these "racists" statements are just now being exposed.
Web sites such as Media Matters have been exposing his racist statements for a long time. I think the first time I visited that site was in 2006, and they were doing it then.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I give up trying to get a quote and the date and time on his radio show.

Thank all of you for your replies.

I give up.

For me, the Rush Limbaugh debate is a diversion from the truth of what is going on.

I see a lot of jerks dancing and promoting division who seem (in this PC world)
immune to being questioned.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
I see a lot of jerks dancing and promoting division who seem (in this PC world)immune to being questioned.
Can you give some examples?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Can you give some examples?

Like i said, I give up.

"We are the world...we are the children."
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Also, go on finding nothing wrong with the character and intelligence of a black man being put in question because he actually thinks for himself and doesn't march in lockstep with 99% of African-Americans.
And see that's another thing. This Williams NEVER attends any of the meetings of the Black Community--every other Tues, how hard is it to show up--where we all get our marching orders from Rev. Sharpton and Jackson, and keep in lockstep. . .

We don't march in lockstep. There are a diversity of views among African Americans and I'm fine with that. Buddying up with Limbaugh or groveling before him (as Steele did) is a different story.

That you would say a thing like that. . .well, if I didn't know you better I'd almost say it was. . .well, you know. . .