A Nation Divided... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Another development in the Limbaugh story, another example of partisanship. Last night on O'Reilly, Juan Williams defended Rush Limbaugh, to which radio show host Warren Ballentine responded "Go back to your porch."

The bigger story here is that O'Reilly said that Limbaugh's only racist remark ... EVER ... was his comment about Donovan McNabb.

Literally, that's O'Reilly telling you, "I'm either a Republican shill or a moron, and there's no in between."

Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
The bigger story here
There's a "bigger story" than a black man defending Rush Limbaugh being called an Uncle Tom? I can't believe people here are defending that language.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #33
She's the One

Local Time: 11:01 AM
I can't believe an otherwise intelligent person such as yourself insists on defending Rush Limbaugh as much as you do.

What has he ever done to deserve such loyalty from you?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
There's a "bigger story" than a black man defending Rush Limbaugh being called an Uncle Tom? I can't believe people here are defending that language.
Yet you defending Rush's constant racism and sexism? The tea partiers racism?

Hypocrisy at it's best!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Do you think less of Juan Williams because of his take on Limbaugh?
Well, I don't know Juan Williams personally at all. I know little about him. So in that sense I don't think I can fairly say whether I think less of him. I do feel that it's sad when an African American feels they need or want to buddy up with someone like Limbaugh. I understand it--I'd even go so far as to say I've maybe even done it when I was a kid and growing up around mostly white friends--but I still think it's sad, and if it is indeed the case, yes, I do think less of that person.

Quote:
I don't think it is inherently wrong to make the case that a black man defending Rush Limbaugh is. . .what's a nicer word? . .I don't know. It's not nice, I know that. But this is not a nice situation.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #36
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:01 PM
I think most people who're waxing outraged over this Williams/Ballentine incident seem to be lacking in due perspective about the context of the comment, namely one black person criticizing another. It's not like a white person aiming the n-word at him, it has a totally different social force. If another Jew called me a self-hating Jew in front of non-Jewish friends, I'd frankly be annoyed if said friends publically got all outraged and defensive on my behalf--not because I wouldn't appreciate the general idea of their support, but because to me that just shows a lack of social common sense, inserting themselves into an in-group standoff that they by definition don't and can't belong to. It's not really even about them at all. These kinds of expressions simply mean something different, and feel different, to the fellow in-group person they're aimed at than they do to others outside the group, to whom they're merely sending a "this guy's a sellout and therefore lacking in credibility" message--which is publically highly critical, sure, but hardly a racial slur. To the in-group person it's accusatory on a whole different level--'You're hurting our people with your spineless groveling to the [Whoevers], and now I'm gonna respond in kind by calling you on it right in front of them'. That particular message is something the accused really needs to hash out themselves with their accuser (or not, if ignoring it is their preference).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
No. It's about making a business decision based on what business decisions tend to be about - money. They don't want to alienate fans/customers who loathe Rush Limbaugh.
I see that-but the NFL and some of their other decisions could have already alienated some fans. Have I stopped watching football because of them? No. Would I if Rush owned part of the Rams? No. I also don't have to work for or with the guy. But for the NFL to act all high and mighty in this instance is sort of laughable. I get that Goodell has been trying to improve things and that this is probably part of that-but they are certainly not coming from a place of moral purity. Are some of the past decisions they have made on par with being in business with Rush? It depends upon your perspective, I guess. I can't believe that all of their owners are as pure as the driven snow either as far as racist or sexist, etc. leanings. I'm sure they're just not as vocal about it as Rush Limbaugh is.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm sure the NFL wouldn't have had any problem with Rush's money if his involvement was silent, but it wasn't. It has nothing to do with being pure, it's that he's controversial. It's just smart business for them, it has nothing to do with partisanship.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Michael Vick isn't controversial?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yet you defending Rush's constant racism and sexism? The tea partiers racism?

Hypocrisy at it's best!!!
I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things. Though there's no point in having a debate like this with someone whose definition of racism is clearly different than my own.

But go on thinking that I've just become "desensitized" to it (or whatever your stupid explanation is), despite the fact that I condemn things like the birther movement.

Also, go on finding nothing wrong with the character and intelligence of a black man being put in question because he actually thinks for himself and doesn't march in lockstep with 99% of African-Americans.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Michael Vick isn't controversial?
Well sure, but that was controversy that occurred while he was already in the NFL, I think NFL is jut being precautionary with Rush.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things. Though there's no point in having a debate like this with someone whose definition of racism is clearly different than my own.
Ok, then here's a great stepping off point for discussion.

Define for me sexism, and then define for me racism.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #43
She's the One

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I can't believe an otherwise intelligent person such as yourself insists on defending Rush Limbaugh as much as you do.

What has he ever done to deserve such loyalty from you?
2861, I'm really interested in your thoughts.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"Some of these babes, I'm telling you, like the sexual harassment crowd. They're out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes."

“She’s actually a very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn’t have to do anything for it, which is why I say this cat’s taught me more about women, than anything in my whole life.”
Rush Limbaugh is not sexist AT ALL. WTF do I know as a woman, anyway.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I remember that one. He's just kidding. Haha.