A Nation Divided... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Another development in the Limbaugh story, another example of partisanship. Last night on O'Reilly, Juan Williams defended Rush Limbaugh, to which radio show host Warren Ballentine responded "Go back to your porch."

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up. I think Limbaugh should be able to buy an NFL franchise if he wants.

Of course the current owners are under ZERO obligation to sell him a share in the Rams. They, too, are free to sell to whoever they like.

If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't care to do business with him, but I also wouldn't want it becoming the big media circus it is. I'd prefer Sharpton et al focus on more important things.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Another development in the Limbaugh story, another example of partisanship. Last night on O'Reilly, Juan Williams defended Rush Limbaugh, to which radio show host Warren Ballentine responded "Go back to your porch."

I think it's fair to call out someone who we think is being an Uncle Tom. I said as much about Michael Steele after he fell all over himself to apologize for his remarks about Limbaugh.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

oh great. a "look how stupid the other side is!" thread. just what this board needs.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
oh great. a "look how stupid the other side is!" thread. just what this board needs.
The intent was suppose to be more about "look how stupid the people who represent us are"...
Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up. I think Limbaugh should be able to buy an NFL franchise if he wants.

Of course the current owners are under ZERO obligation to sell him a share in the Rams. They, too, are free to sell to whoever they like.

If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't care to do business with him, but I also wouldn't want it becoming the big media circus it is. I'd prefer Sharpton et al focus on more important things.
Exactly!!!

Quote:
I think it's fair to call out someone who we think is being an Uncle Tom. I said as much about Michael Steele after he fell all over himself to apologize for his remarks about Limbaugh.
I agree, but I think this concept is very difficult for many white people to understand(no matter what "side"). I think unfortunately Juan Williams comes off as "going beyond race" in the eyes of conservatives, rather than ignoring the racism in Rush's past. This is a big problem.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
No. It's about making a business decision based on what business decisions tend to be about - money. They don't want to alienate fans/customers who loathe Rush Limbaugh. Rush is simply reaping what he sows. You can't be a racist, hateful, lying jackass and expect everyone on earth to welcome you with open arms.
Free market at work.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

I agree, but I think this concept is very difficult for many white people to understand(no matter what "side").
I know. . .it's hard to explain too. There's a certain type of white person that likes black folk as long as they aren't too angry, share their view of the world, and basically don't have too much of an "attitude." Black people who chum around with these types of people, in my view might be viewed as. . ahem. . .on the porch.

And I say this as a black person who is generally not too angry, tends to like "white" culture (I mean, I'm a huge U2 fan! Come on!), and doesn't have too much of an "attitude" The difference is, you wont find me kissing Rush Limbaugh's ass.

As an aside, since I'm pretty sure 2861 will read this post and because I know he's been watching Survivor. Remember what happened with Jaison and Ben after Ben had that heated exchange with that admittedly annoying (and probably crazy) Yasmine? Remember how Jaison really struggled with whether to call Ben out on his behavior, and finally did even though it might have put a target on his back? As a black person, I really relate to that struggle. Jaison knew that nobody likes an angry black man, but at the same time he couldn't live with himself if he said nothing. Juan Williams would have said nothing.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #24
War Child

I'm totally ready for the divide.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Free market at work.
I'm all for the free market decided economic opportunities like this. I'm not saying Rush is entitled to the team. But it sucks when the reason for dropping Rush is completely false and based on things he simply never said.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I'm totally ready for the divide.
Remember the last group of Americans that were "totally ready for the divide"? Didn't turn out so well for them. . .
Old 10-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I think the problem with Limbaugh is not so much his perceived racism and perceived sexism, but that his program provides a refuge for ugly beliefs.

I'm not saying that all or even most of his listeners (I don't know them and I'm not about to stereotype them) share those beliefs, but enough appear to and find those views to be acceptable on his program, even championed. Maybe it is good that it is out of the closet, but the embrace is disheartening. Maybe other owners share those beliefs or share other equally reprehensible beliefs, but none of them is so overtly divisive. He lives (well) and dies by his radio show. I'm sure he considers it a fair tradeoff.

We're all entitled to our dreams, but we're not entitled to having them given to us, are we? Good conservative principle that, eh? Or maybe just the rich are cause life is so unfair to them.

Entrepreneur that he be, maybe he can start his own league.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Remember the last group of Americans that were "totally ready for the divide"? Didn't turn out so well for them. . .
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
But it sucks when the reason for dropping Rush is completely false and based on things he simply never said.
That's unfortunately the reason it made news, it's NOT the reason he didn't get the bid. DO NOT fool yourself into becoming a victim.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Remember what happened with Jaison and Ben after Ben had that heated exchange with that admittedly annoying (and probably crazy) Yasmine? Remember how Jaison really struggled with whether to call Ben out on his behavior, and finally did even though it might have put a target on his back? As a black person, I really relate to that struggle. Jaison knew that nobody likes an angry black man, but at the same time he couldn't live with himself if he said nothing. Juan Williams would have said nothing.
Do you think less of Juan Williams because of his take on Limbaugh?

(BTW I saw that Survivor and Ben deserved what he got)