( A Lot of) Thoughts for Liberal Progressive Interferencers Sitting Out This Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
well it's finally here
(oh and plaese forgive any typos I miss )

I don't spend much time here in FYM so I don't know IF any you are planning to do that.

In case there is'nt anybody feel free to use any of my thoughts on anyone you know that's IS doing that. Sometimes it's what a person says, and sometimes itsalso how they say what they are sayng.

This is here I'm coming from.
I have been basically a liberal/progrssive all my life. I was raised that way. Having gone through a fair amount of life... i on occasions stop to think.... "could they be right...." on issue _______ .

But no; nothing has really changed my mind with examining either my own expereinces, expereinces of people I know, and the many things I'ver heard, and read about in various aspects of life here in The USA and around The World. In some ways I've even become more liberal etc.

I also have been a semi-activist (I know of many people who've done way more than me) in various single issues which I often can tie together, and in Local & Presiential
Campaigns. I've been at it for about 40 years. I started young! :D

Do I get cynical? Sometimes. Do I sometimes despair. Oh, yeah. But i've have expereinced some important good stuff being done by various politians early on, activists and people who became active - to so far stay in those frames of mind permannently.

Why do I think you should go out and vote.

There SO many things riding on this election! This is like another extremely major nexus in American & World History.
(Elecion 2008 was another)

Let's start with this.
Those of your who have in your immediate, extended family or friends; people using, or very soon to use for both the natural ongoing of life, or through more unfortunate circumstances (longer term job loss, disabilities etc) Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Food Stamps (and maybe something I haven't thought of) -- while none of these programs is perfect ARE they, are you glad they have them?

If the Republicans get control of The House of Reperesentives- they are going to do their very best to curtail these Programs, and get rid of them. Through several turns of Repulbicans in the White House /or having control of both Congression Houses the Medicare and Medicaid programs have been cut, either in serives covered, or amoints of money alotted.

Newt Gingrich said in the 1980's they wanted Medicare to "wither on the vine". The more right-wing Republicans of which now the GOP is almost solely made of - they are gunning for these programs all over again. Some of them never stopped from the moment each of these came into existance (starting with FDR). How would the people you care do with much less or without? Could you hlep out them out 9n very close relationships)?

Another more general look at Gonvernment. I think it was Grover Norquist who said (a close paraphrase) "we want to shrink The Goverment so much that we can drown it in the bathtub".

In the Constitiution it says "for the General Wealfare of The People".

What does that constitute? Beisdes protecting the popoulus from war--
to me it speaks major of deccent housing, SAFE water to drink, air to breath, food to eat, basic health care, infrastructure, and a good education (in safe, comfortable buildings), and a (
Teddy Roosevelt - a Republican supported this!​
) "living wage" (and he believed in vacations for all workers, as well!) to afford the things above, and for women the right to control their reproductive lives ( which ultimately affects everyone in some way or another).

If we're drowning The Government I don't think we're going to be getting the above.
When we pool our resources we are then able to create these things above that we couldn't on our own.

"Taxes are what we pay for a Civilization"... I don't remember who said this. In the 50's and up to the late 70's the tax rates were higher for the highest incomes- and we had agrowing, thriving Middle Class - AND the tax rate were way higher! At one point they has been 90%. They were reduced to around 50%, and still things were going along well, but it started to drop into the 30's % range THAT's when monies for much of the things above really started to diminsh! And the top 2% of Americans are currently complaining because the rate is being asked to go from 34% to 37%.

Not only funding troubles- when you either ignore passed laws, or don't fund programs at the Federal Level yet all The States are odered to comply (like -no child left behind), or you cut the number of regulators/ inspefctors to oversee the various safety concerns - then HOW CAN Government work well? Think of that horrific evnet with the bridge that collapsed. Direct result of the above practices by Republicans ( and probaly some Conservative Democrats).

Then The Republicans say (after all this mess happens), "Goverment doesn't work!".

For those of you who are luckly enough to be working only one at least deccent or better job and doing pretty to quite well... are you happy you have a weekend? If your place of work is gnerally safe and comfortable- this makes you feel good?
All these conditions were brought to you by the sweat, blood and even deaths of Union Organizers and Union Members back in the ealry 1900's (maybe ealier here & trhere).

Things statted to go downhill when President Reagan arrived on the scene. Breaking the Air Controllers' Union was the begining of the diminisment of Unions in this ccountry.

Finally... l this is directed more at liberals who are doing well financially, abke to be comfortable in your home, etc, but are very frustrated, angry at President Obama.

It'd be wonderful if he would do all the things we liberal/progressivesw want - like at least the Public Option, if not Single Payer outright! Some he may never do becuase he can also be a Centrist in some areas.
Alot of peope don't know that whole lot of bills at least 200 have been passed by The House of Representtives (and that maybe a low figure) BUT been thrawted by The US Senate! Back in JFK's & LBJ's time there were around 68 Democrats in The Senate. Now some were the Blue Dog types with those Presidents couldn't always count on. But they could sometimes count on Moderate to Liberal Republicans. Where are those now? Almost gone, or gone! There are also appointemnts The Senate is stil holding up as well.

If we do lose the House of Representtives - there is at least one (has been quoted) Repulbican who will jump in right off with Impeachment Hearings on President Obama. DO you really want that Circus to start up again?

The President said - just as FDR said to his supporters - "make me, push me".

Change as much as we'd love it, wish, need it to be "Right Now (NAO)!" doesn't always, often doesn't happen that way. We stand on the shoulders of others who have (sport metaphor) advanced the fooball down the field.

Are you REALLY willing to let more things/situartions, sructures go to "hell in a handbasket". Becuase a lot of the people thatg would most effected immediately or soon after deopeneding on what The Republicans could pull off -- won't be you (maye you way down the line).

They''ll be the kind of people I mentioned at the top, plus the Working Class, the Working Poor.

You may be willing for this downward spiral to probaly happen if the Republicans gain a hand- but most of these other people didn't sign up for you "sitting it out" campaign. They will be the unwilling pssilbe vicctims of The Change We DON'T Want!

If you hold the basic values of all the Major Relgions, people who call themselves Spiritual (I do), or believe in good Ethics - which are compassion, mercy, justice, caring for "the least of these", .... how CAN you NOT vote -
even if it is for a rather imperfect Democrat vs the better in my [our?] opinion becuase the (in general) choice is Another Republican.

Change, as I said, we doesn't usually happen at the speed we want -- give Presidnet Obama more of the backing and, time he needs! We can do more over time. But we need the time now.

There are increasing amounts of Liberal/Progressive organizations, think tanks, web sites etc to help elect more Liberals/Progressvies but the Republicans aftger Goldwater's defeat -- have had a long headstart! Lets keep it going! Let's not slide back into a Republican miasma!

As a old song from (yeah) the 60's goes let's "keep on pushing " . And one mo' " ...ain't no one gonna turn us around". Let's go out and VOTE!

You pretty much echoed every thought of mine. I have absolutely no intention of sitting home tomorrow. I'll be out voting, no question (and the place I can vote is just behind our house! Convenient :D!). I have this "crazy" belief that voting does help, even if only in a small way. I like having my voice heard, even if I'm in a minority on an issue. And as I always say, women fought to allow me this right, you'd damn well better believe I'll honor them by exercising it.

Will be interesting to see how the conservative members, few though there may be, will respond to your post. You may find yourself in some agreement with a few of them, and they could have some good responses to some of your comments.

Finally, I hope you do pop up a little more in FYM. I know this section is not everybody's cup of tea, but if you or anyone else out there have any sort of passion for political issues/debate at all, I'd love to have you join the discussion when possible :).

Angela

Well, I enjoyed the part of your post about how everyone should vote. No matter what your position. :up:

I live in a very liberal and active district of Mpls.

I was voter #118 this morning. Two years ago, I was voter #250-something at roughly the same time.

Unfortunately, turn-out will not be as high as it could/should.

I live in a very liberal and active district of Mpls.

I was voter #118 this morning. Two years ago, I was voter #250-something at roughly the same time.

Unfortunately, turn-out will not be as high as it could/should.

Go kw1!

It may be better than we've been lead to beiieve.
I just heard a report saying that in some district voting is 3x's higher that predicite. In fact i now just heard that several states vtoing is higher than usual for a Mid-term election....becuase orf the liberal nature of this radio talk show-- it's higher turn-out in the more Democratic Disitricts .

Keep going Dems!

oh and ETA

since i didn't get to say it in the other thread I posted...

SO Sorry to hear kw1 that you were near by where that Bridge collapsed from maintainence neglect.

Go kw1!

It may be better than we've been lead to beiieve.
I just heard a report saying that in some district voting is 3x's higher that predicited .

Thankfully my district doesn't matter much. Governor is our only really important vote this year, and Former Sen. Mark Dayton is looking quite good for it.

I'm amazed at some of the voter turn-out reports on the radio from around the nation.
:up::up::up:

Strong voter turnout is always a good thing to hear about :up:.

Was pretty quiet when I went down to my polling place, but they figured things would pick up later this afternoon when people were getting off work. Plus, we had a lot of early voting ballots as well. Hopefully we get a good turnout here as well.

Angela

One LAST Motivator for Reluctant Liberals/Progressives - election districts

a liberal radio talk show caller reminded me/listeners this after noon before I left my apt.

Since this was the Year of the Census
the NEXT Congress will be Redrawing the Election Districts lines!!!

IF you think it was sometimes hard to get L/P congress people elected before..........

it's going to be even MORE Difficult If the Republican Congress are Drawing them and further isolating L/P's especially in the more Purple and Red States of the USA!

the strong turn out, even in Liberal areas, will most likely be an increase of independents that are fired up and voting for change

NPR just said 41% of voters are calling themselves conservatives today vs 32% in 2008

that 9% shift is huge.

Will be interesting to see how the conservative members, few though there may be, will respond to your post. You may find yourself in some agreement with a few of them, and they could have some good responses to some of your comments.

Frankly - and granted, as a non-US citizen it's largely irrelevant - upon reading the OP, the Tea Party ideas are starting to make sense to me. I don't agree with most of the ideas put forward in the OP, and agree fully with dramatically reducing the size of government, and many other ideals of the libertarian conservative movement.

dazzledbylight said:
"Taxes are what we pay for a Civilization"... I don't remember who said this. In the 50's and up to the late 70's the tax rates were higher for the highest incomes- and we had agrowing, thriving Middle Class - AND the tax rate were way higher! At one point they has been 90%. They were reduced to around 50%, and still things were going along well, but it started to drop into the 30's % range THAT's when monies for much of the things above really started to diminsh! And the top 2% of Americans are currently complaining because the rate is being asked to go from 34% to 37%.

"Taxation is theft".

Having said all that, I don't think liberals and progressives need to worry too much - government in the US will remain absolutely enormous and will not be shrinking any time soon.

Having said that, I don't think liberals and progressives need to worry too much - government in the US will remain absolutely enormous and will not be shrinking any time soon.

A hundred years ago in the U.S. a liberal meant one who was for individual freedom and less government.

Somehow that definition has changed.

It's almost scary to think what a progressive liberal has planned for my life.
Why are you guys so hip on Big Brother???

I agree with financeguy, the U.S. federal government will not be shrinking any
time soon.

:sad:

Truly when you say things like this, you ignorantly offend every person out there in the world who is not living in a free state. Get real.

I did not vote because I am not registered. The registration deadline kind of snuck up on me and I did not notice I'd missed out until it was too late. I did feel a bit guilty for not being able to vote today. I do not understand why registration needs a month before the election; I wasn't even thinking about it a month ago.

Go Sestak.

You mean more make believe bans?

More people that understand the constitution better than you?

People that actually respect science?

You'd be taken more seriously if you ever provided REAL answers, REAL examples, so far it's lies and misunderstandings.

You mean more make believe bans?

More people that understand the constitution better than you?

People that actually respect science?

You'd be taken more seriously if you ever provided REAL answers, REAL examples, so far it's lies and misunderstandings.

I would love you more if you would simply ask a direct question.

OK, love you anyway:wave:

Do you understand when you post things like "Big Brother" that you're wrong and that there's nothing in the United States right now close to 1984? Or are you simply a sheep posting things you read somewhere?

Simple question.

I've tried that, many of us have... never seems to work. Many have given up, I haven't yet, but I'm close.

Just the other day I asked you to back up your statement by asking who hasn't followed the constitution?

Guess what? No answer.

Do you understand when you post things like "Big Brother" that you're wrong and that there's nothing in the United States right now close to 1984? Or are you simply a sheep posting things you read somewhere?

Simple question.

Nothing like Big Brother?

Have you tried to purchase whole milk in a public school or tried to get salt on your fries?

Yeah, I'm one of the awake sheep.

Nothing like Big Brother?

Have you tried to purchase whole milk in a public school or tried to get salt on your fries?

Yeah, I'm one of the awake sheep.
Have you read 1984? Do you understand the difference between putting more health in public schools and brainwashing an entire population?

New York City — the nation's largest school district — has decided to cut whole milk from the menu.

The school district of New York City is NOT the federal government(which is what YOU stated).

This is what I mean, you don't seem to actually read your sources. I thought reading was fun?

You're raging against federal bans that DO NOT exists. Why? Blindly following your websites? Misunderstanding? Why?

Frankly - and granted, as a non-US citizen it's largely irrelevant - upon reading the OP, the Tea Party ideas are starting to make sense to me. I don't agree with most of the ideas put forward in the OP, and agree fully with dramatically reducing the size of government, and many other ideals of the libertarian conservative movement.

If the Tea Party truly believed in their ideology of fiscal pragmatism and legitimate constraints on the federal government, I'd listen to them. I can at least understand the theories behind those ideas, hell, I can even agree with some of them, too. No question we are blowing money on a lot of frivolous, unsustainable stuff. We could do with some downsizing of the federal government's power (one area you and I would certainly be in agreement on in regards to that would be our national defense). And I support health care reform, but I have no problem believing Medicare/Medicaid has its waste areas it could fix/get rid of, too. Tidy things up and get them in some order. I'm fine with that and will gladly discuss that with anyone who's interested.

The problem is, this particular Tea Party says that stuff because they know it gets them votes. But they'll never follow through on any of it, and their idea of "small government" is always hypocritical and confusing (see the gay marriage/abortion topics, that's a classic example right there: "Government, stay out of our lives! Except, ya know, when it comes to stopping those gays from marrying. Or when it comes to women making decisions about their bodies." Or, "Government is the problem, they've made things worse. Which is precisely why I'm running for a position in the very government I can't stand."), and in its most radical moments, almost anarchy-esque at times. Add in the religious extremism element as well as some of the racism that has surfaced, and that doesn't help matters, either.

Some of the ideas in and of themselves are fine. But this is not the group of people I would entrust to properly deal with them.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom