A little quiz for those in the gifted/genius IQ range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been just an observer in this thread because some of it hits too close to home, but I agree with this.

I've dealt with both in my life, true alcoholics and those with true bad habits, sometimes the line is gray... but there is definately a line.

BVS can you clear some space on your PM box?

:reject: I thought earworms were the animals.

But I do have music stuck in my head pretty much 24/7, and if I think of a song I can play it in my head up to the smallest detail, separate guitar from bass and piano and such.

:)

For a long time I had no idea it was weird to have that. I just figured everyone always had music stuck in their head. But I always got comments about how I always seemed to be humming, singing or air drumming along to nothing. I didn't put two and two together until I figured out it wasn't something everyone experienced.

Same here. To be completely honest, I only realized it wasnt normal by reading this thread. Right now? New Gorillaz track

I am your borderline superior, high 120s, low 130s. That ad I clicked on freemp3sleakdownload.com to test myself wasn't the most legitimate though, so I'll tack on another 30 points for the hell of it.

(1) Do you view yourself as having poor EQ (emotional intelligence)?
(2) If yes to (1), have you/are you taking steps to rectify this?
(3) Do you perceive your giftedness as having made you happier than those less gifted, or is the obverse true?
(4) Do you struggle with addictive behaviour patterns?

1. No. I can take FYM jabs in stride.
2. No. But I could improve my direction-taking skills.
3. Yes, I enjoy being superior to most.
4. Yes, but nothing I am comfortable discussing in this venue.

If you are not in the gifted or genius IQ range but have an SO or someone you know very well that is, your insights would also be valuable.

I just did you all a friggin' service. Goulet.

Does anyone else here experience earworms?

I've had VCR by The xx stuck in my head all day. Just the riff though, which explains why I'm only borderline superior.

I never actually knew having music stuck in your head was a strange thing. I've always been unable to sit still and usually move my leg according to the beat in my head and stuff like that... sometimes play some air guitar or bass or air drums.. I just figured most musicians have music in their heads or so.

Anyone got a good clue how to get certain songs OUT of your head? Sometimes I get really annoying songs stuck and I can't stop hearing them. :crack:

The only way to get one song out of your head is to listen to another.

Still hearing the drums. Here come the drums. Spot the reference.

I cannot remember a time when I didn't have music stuck in my head. It's been constant for years.

Purple Haze & Foxey Lady right now. :cool: The worst for me is kids songs and Christmas songs.

YouTube - Earworms (Part 1)

YouTube - Earworms (Part 2)

The best way to get rid of them for me is to increase the variety of music I listen to. The earworms then don't last as long. Also increase the complexity of some of the music you listen to because your brain will have trouble remembering it.

I never actually knew having music stuck in your head was a strange thing.

Same here - when not actually listening to music, it's the only thing that makes some mundane day-to-day activities bearable!

To get a bad loop out of my head I usually pass it on by telling someone it's stuck in my head (out loud only, email, IM etc don't work) - it then leaves me and sticks to them. Works like a charm for me. :D

Another thing I wanted to ask is whether other people that are gifted have this tendency - when I've done something, especially at work, it doesn't interest me in the slightest doing it again, I am either on or off, not much inbetween, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sort of. I don't like doing anything again which I'm proficient at. That's to say, I can find enjoyment out of doing the same sort of task 10 times if it's something that's complicated and it will take me 10 tries to get it right. Then I'm bored and no longer want to do it. A large part of why I enjoy my career is that you do get a variety of things to do, whereas when I did lab work, it was the same experiments over and over again and that killed my spirit.

Sort of. I don't like doing anything again which I'm proficient at. That's to say, I can find enjoyment out of doing the same sort of task 10 times if it's something that's complicated and it will take me 10 tries to get it right. Then I'm bored and no longer want to do it. A large part of why I enjoy my career is that you do get a variety of things to do, whereas when I did lab work, it was the same experiments over and over again and that killed my spirit.

Yes I am exactly like that. This is why ultimately I think I will have to change my career.

Boredom is an absolute spirit-killer for people of high IQ, or so I've found.

I never actually knew having music stuck in your head was a strange thing. I've always been unable to sit still and usually move my leg according to the beat in my head and stuff like that... sometimes play some air guitar or bass or air drums.. I just figured most musicians have music in their heads or so.

Anyone got a good clue how to get certain songs OUT of your head? Sometimes I get really annoying songs stuck and I can't stop hearing them. :crack:

I thought it was normal to have songs in your head 24/7.
Sometimes I can even get depressed by certain songs in my head. In March 2008 I had "Drive/ Who's gonna drive you home" by The Cars in my head. It lasted there for 3 months. Listening to other music didn't help, it came back even after I tried to 'bend it' into the intro of U2's WOWY.
Whenever it's on the radio, I get a nasty feeling. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a very good song!

:reject: I thought earworms were the animals.

But I do have music stuck in my head pretty much 24/7, and if I think of a song I can play it in my head up to the smallest detail, separate guitar from bass and piano and such.

I'd love to jam with you sometime! :rockon:

This story from Vanity Fair I found interesting, it touches to some extent on some of the issues discussed in this thread,

After a while even he ceased to find it surprising that he spent most of his time alone. By his late 20s he thought of himself as the sort of person who didn’t have friends. He’d gone through Santa Teresa High School, in San Jose, U.C.L.A., and Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and created not a single lasting bond. What friendships he did have were formed and nurtured in writing, by email; the two people he considered to be true friends he had known for a combined 20 years but had met in person a grand total of eight times. “My nature is not to have friends,” he said. “I’m happy in my own head.” Somehow he’d married twice. His first wife was a woman of Korean descent who wound up living in a different city (“She often complained that I appeared to like the idea of a relationship more than living the actual relationship”) and his second, to whom he was still married, was a Vietnamese-American woman he’d met on Match.com. In his Match.com profile, he described himself frankly as “a medical resident with only one eye, an awkward social manner, and $145,000 in student loans.” His obsession with personal honesty was a cousin to his obsession with fairness.

Obsessiveness—that was another trait he came to think of as peculiar to himself. His mind had no temperate zone: he was either possessed by a subject or not interested in it at all. There was an obvious downside to this quality—he had more trouble than most faking interest in other people’s concerns and hobbies, for instance—but an upside, too. Even as a small child he had a fantastic ability to focus and learn, with or without teachers. When it synched with his interests, school came easy for him—so easy that, as an undergraduate at U.C.L.A., he could flip back and forth between English and economics and pick up enough pre-medical training on the side to get himself admitted to the best medical schools in the country. He attributed his unusual powers of concentration to his lack of interest in human interaction, and his lack of interest in human interaction … well, he was able to argue that basically everything that happened was caused, one way or the other, by his fake left eye.

Late one night in November 1996, while on a cardiology rotation at Saint Thomas Hospital, in Nashville, Tennessee, he logged on to a hospital computer and went to a message board called techstocks.com. There he created a thread called “value investing.” Having read everything there was to read about investing, he decided to learn a bit more about “investing in the real world.” A mania for Internet stocks gripped the market. A site for the Silicon Valley investor, circa 1996, was not a natural home for a sober-minded value investor. Still, many came, all with opinions. A few people grumbled about the very idea of a doctor having anything useful to say about investments, but over time he came to dominate the discussion. Dr. Mike Burry—as he always signed himself—sensed that other people on the thread were taking his advice and making money with it.

Once he figured out he had nothing more to learn from the crowd on his thread, he quit it to create what later would be called a blog but at the time was just a weird form of communication. He was working 16-hour shifts at the hospital, confining his blogging mainly to the hours between midnight and three in the morning. On his blog he posted his stock-market trades and his arguments for making the trades. People found him. As a money manager at a big Philadelphia value fund said, “The first thing I wondered was: When is he doing this? The guy was a medical intern. I only saw the nonmedical part of his day, and it was simply awesome. He’s showing people his trades. And people are following it in real time. He’s doing value investing—in the middle of the dot-com bubble. He’s buying value stocks, which is what we’re doing. But we’re losing money. We’re losing clients. All of a sudden he goes on this tear. He’s up 50 percent. It’s uncanny. He’s uncanny. And we’re not the only ones watching it.”

“He calls me the day before the meeting,” says one of his e-mail friends, himself a professional money manager. “And he asks, ‘What should I wear?’ He didn’t own a tie. He had one blue sports coat, for funerals.” This was another quirk of Mike Burry’s. In writing, he presented himself formally, even a bit stuffily, but he dressed for the beach. Walking to Gotham’s office, he panicked and ducked into a Tie Rack and bought a tie. He arrived at the big New York money-management firm as formally attired as he had ever been in his entire life to find its partners in T-shirts and sweatpants. The exchange went something like this: “We’d like to give you a million dollars.” “Excuse me?” “We want to buy a quarter of your new hedge fund. For a million dollars.” “You do?” “Yes. We’re offering a million dollars.” “After tax!”

Betting on the Blind Side | Business | Vanity Fair

I am not really like the guy in the article, but can identify with the obsessional thinking thing to an extent.

Back
Top Bottom