A little quiz for those in the gifted/genius IQ range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
If I may be so bold I would like to pose some questions specifically for those posters in the gifted/genius IQ range

164 and over Genius or near genius
148 - 164 Very superior intelligence
132 - 148 Superior intelligence

IQ reference chart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My questions are:

(1) Do you view yourself as having poor EQ (emotional intelligence)?
(2) If yes to (1), have you/are you taking steps to rectify this?
(3) Do you perceive your giftedness as having made you happier than those less gifted, or is the obverse true?
(4) Do you struggle with addictive behaviour patterns?

If you are not in the gifted or genius IQ range but have an SO or someone you know very well that is, your insights would also be valuable.

For me:

(1) Yes
(2) Yes but not particularly successful thus far
(3) At this point I view happiness more or less as a personal choice
(4) Yes, I have multiple addictions. (Booze, nicotine, internet.)

My questions are:

(3) Do you perceive your giftedness as having made you happier than those less gifted, or is the obverse true?

1. No.
2. I still need to improve in managing my boss relationships. People who try to micromanage me find me difficult.
3. I don't perceive giftedness and happiness as related.
4. Yes. Thankfully quit nicotine years ago.

1. Somewhat.
2. I'm constantly evaluating myself to try to make improvements.
3. In some ways yes, and in some ways no. I am well versed in a wide range of topics, so I really never feel in over my head in any discussion, and I have excellent conversation skills, between my ability to follow along with anyone and my excellent abilities with word choice. However, at the same time, I'm often very distracted by thought, and much of my time is spent worrying about problems as opposed to letting my mind at ease or appreciating enjoyable activities as they're happening. My sleep is very poor because I spend hours dwelling on minor mistakes: things I feel I should not have done or said during the course of a day. I'm just a tremendous worrier.
4. Many, ranging from very minor to major things. I also have a fear of future addictions that I won't be able to prevent myself from falling into (this is probably a question better asked of someone ten years older than I am).

If I may be so bold I would like to pose some questions specifically for those posters in the gifted/genius IQ range

My questions are:

If you are not in the gifted or genius IQ range but have an SO or someone you know very well that is, your insights would also be valuable.

For me:

(1) Yes
(2) Yes but not particularly successful thus far
(3) At this point I view happiness more or less as a personal choice
(4) Yes, I have multiple addictions. (Booze, nicotine, internet.)

1) Not anymore, no. But for a long time, yes. Time and experience did their job, I guess.
3) I don't think that my intelligence makes me any happier than anyone else. I think I derive my happiness from other sources. I'm not saying I'd trade it in, but I don't think that being endowed with some modicum of intelligence is a passport to joy or sadness.
4) Not especially, no. I'm very into things like reading, music, film, sports, but do not consider myself addicted to any of these. Nor do I drink or do drugs, smoke, etc.

It should be noted that I was tested at a very young age regarding my IQ, and once again in college. My scores were remarkably similar, which disturbed me at the time. But my point is that I used to be very proud of my high IQ and then as I got older it became more and more of a joke to me, in myriad ways. As much as I still value intelligence, I've found many other traits to admire over the years.

My questions are:

1. Definitely not. What's frustrating is that I feel like a good chunk of my friends have a poor EQ. I know their actions can be unintentional, but the imbalance can be exhausting at times.
3. No. It doesn't make me unhappier, either. I think my happiness comes from a sort of higher sense of self...on a spiritual level, rather than my ability to solve puzzles.
4. My phone temps me to post to facebook a lot more than I should, due to the accessibility. Does that count? Also, I only drink at least twice a week, and only smoke up on occasion. But if I were in situations where I had to do without for a certain period of time, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. So no, I don't feel as though I have addictions.

It should be noted that I was tested at a very young age regarding my IQ, and once again in college. My scores were remarkably similar, which disturbed me at the time. But my point is that I used to be very proud of my high IQ and then as I got older it became more and more of a joke to me, in myriad ways. As much as I still value intelligence, I've found many other traits to admire over the years.

I have to agree with this. I was pissed that I took that test in the first place. I purposely skipped out on the Gifted & Talented program in grade school because I didn't like being separated from my friends. I had a huge falling out (yes, even at such a young age) with my parents when my teacher suggested I skip a grade (do they even do that anymore?) I was also selected to attend a magnet high school, which I also declined.

That stupid number put all sorts of pressures and expectations on me. I even opted not to take Advance Placement courses in high school for college credit. I realize people were only trying to help me and offer more challenges. I saw it as people trying to take my youth and friends away (I had a hard time connecting to the kids in the Gifted & Talented program.) That stupid number also hurt my relationship with my brother, who had a lower IQ. To this day, we're still trying to work on reconnecting. It's been difficult, because he was under a lot of pressure too, and spent most of his life comparing himself to me.

Fuck IQ.

My questions are:

1. No, not at all. If anything, I'm over-intuitive and "emotional," in the sense that I can empathize and sympathize with people's situations quite easily, which has its benefits and costs.
3. No, I'm happy because of who I am, part of which includes intelligence, but that's only a very small portion of me as a human being.
4. Somewhat. I've avoided ever smoking cigarettes because I know for a fact that I'd enjoy it too much (I really just like the act of smoking, very soothing in a bizarre way). However, I do smoke marijuana daily, often multiple times a day, for a mixture of medicinal (Crohn's disease is a real bitch, but luckily marijuana and only marijuana has put me into remission for 9 months now, the longest remission since my diagnosis) and recreational reasons. In recent weeks though, I've cut down from essentially being high all day to smoking once or twice a day, a significant improvement for me, so I'm working on it. Other than that, I rarely drink, but it's probably fair to say that I'm also addicted to music and maybe the internet/my computer.

I have to agree with this. I was pissed that I took that test in the first place. I purposely skipped out on the Gifted & Talented program in grade school because I didn't like being separated from my friends. I had a huge falling out (yes, even at such a young age) with my parents when my teacher suggested I skip a grade (do they even do that anymore?) I was also selected to attend a magnet high school, which I also declined.

I don't know if they still have kids skip grades, but I started kindergarten when I was 4 with an October birthday. Skipping grades once you're in school is just cruel, I think.

My questions are:

1: Not anymore.

2: Yes, I have become way more social after my teenage years. I just wanted to change my behaviour badly and so I did.

3: I do think it makes me happier, as it gives me a lot of opportunities. I can do a job I love because I got the right graduation papers and I can earn a fair living. That means I'll have a secure environment for a family and I'll be independant. That thought makes me happy.

4: Yes. I'm a very lazy person by nature, and it doesn't really help that I didn't have to do anything in highschool. I just passed every test easily without giving effort, which brings me in trouble now as I never really learned how to study for tests, which results in bad grades for subjects that are hard on me now at Uni. I'd probably count for a game addiction and internet as well.

I agree with what's been said about IQ being a bad thing as a child. I too hated it and didn't want to skip a grade in primary school(because I'd end up in the same class as my 1 year older sister:wink: ). And now I'm glad I didn't skip that grade. In highschool I pretty much didn't do anything with the other 'gifted' children, simply because I had other interests. I did some stuff outside classes for biology, feed the pet snake and later the lizzard, and went into the school dance organisations. That made me more social I guess. A friend of mine is WAY smarter than I am, he's a genius, but with him you do see that he's got some social problems. It's become better over the years and he's a social guy now, but as a highschool kid? He was pretty much the class nerd who acted like a grown up.

My questions are:

I should mention that my first thought is not to respond to this thread, because it seems so immodest to refer to myself as having a "gifted/genius IQ." Those reservations aside...

(1) I tend to be able to observe others quite well, which I think to be key to much of what I write here, and am weaker in evaluating myself and how I relate to the rest of the world. Overall, I guess that's a "yes."

(2) Moving over the last year has helped substantially, I'd say. Now I'm more likely to run into people with interests similar to my own, particularly relating to my artistic interests.

(3) Sometimes it makes me happier, and sometimes it makes me unhappier.

(4) I have no inclination toward alcohol or substance abuse of any kind (in fact, if Prohibition were ever enacted again, I'd object in principle, but never really miss alcohol ever again). And there was a point in which I'd say I had a bit of an internet addiction, but I really can't say that any longer.

I have no idea what my IQ is, nor do I plan to find out. I feel that, in everyday interactions with my peers, I'm sure I'm above average, though I wouldnt know by what extent. Knowing the number would do one of two things; it would make me realize that I'm not as intelligent as I think, which would be defeating, or it would subconsciously inflate my ego. My intelligence is what it is and I dont find it necessary for me to have a number put on it. I'm curious though; apart from Unico, anyone else wish they were never tested? What about the ones that were tested and found it to be a positive influence? I'd like to hear

my first thought is not to respond to this thread, because it seems so immodest to refer to myself as having a "gifted/genius IQ."

Which is what I figured would be most people's reaction so waited a while to see who would be the first willing to respond. Then I wanted to see if it would get going if I broke the ice. Admittedly I was very curious to see who would step up and self-identify.

I have no idea what my IQ is, nor do I plan to find out. I feel that, in everyday interactions with my peers, I'm sure I'm above average, though I wouldnt know by what extent. Knowing the number would do one of two things; it would make me realize that I'm not as intelligent as I think, which would be defeating, or it would subconsciously inflate my ego. My intelligence is what it is and I dont find it necessary for me to have a number put on it. I'm curious though; apart from Unico, anyone else wish they were never tested? What about the ones that were tested and found it to be a positive influence? I'd like to hear

The only reason I was tested was because my grade school had a program for people with high IQs (I believe it was people with 130 or above) that allowed them to take "accelerated" courses every couple of weeks. It allowed me to do a lot of cool shit, which was fun. I don't particularly think about it much, though, so it's not a big deal. All of my close friends are probably 30-50 points lower in IQ than me, and it doesn't matter in the least.

I didn't actually find out my specific IQ until I think a year and a half ago. All I knew was that it was good enough to get me into that grade school program. I never really cared, nor do I care now.

It's such a minuscule detail, though. I mean, if I had the same IQ and was born into an impoverished environment, I'd be a completely different person and probably wouldn't be nearly as knowledgeable as I am now. Circumstance is much more important to who you are than anything like IQ.

I have no idea what my IQ is, nor do I plan to find out.

just to actually add some value to this thread (instead of just appearing to be a smartass), i'll reply to this.

i was tested about 12-13 years ago. i can't remember the specific result, but i do remember i was in the gifted fap fap range. i have no desire to be tested again. i also have no reason, unless i plan to get another university degree - and it's not like you need an iq test to enroll anyway.

it personally didn't impact me finding this out, all it really did was basically give my parents more of a reason to get annoyed by my academic laziness - knowing i could kick ass and take names (although they didn't care until i was in university) but not actually trying hard enough to do it.

my, some people certainly think highly of themselves.

Well now we've a good reason to look down upon you commonfolk eh? This is our thread for the elites, stay out!

:tsk:

Meh, I don't get why it would be 'immodest' to admit you're smart. It's not like I chose to get a high IQ or something. Like floppy ears, it's something you get when you're born, so why should I hide it from the world?

My questions are:

1. Yes, to some extent. I'm too practical and rational sometimes to be able to relate to people on a purely emotional level. I also don't need a lot of emotional up-keep and am low-maintenance in that regard, but not everyone else is.

2. Yes, and there is a particular relationship that has forced my hand in this respect. And I think that regardless of its outcome, it has been a very good thing for me so far.

3. Both. Happier because I think it has given me more opportunities than I would have had otherwise and because most of the friends I have made are extraordinary people whom I would not have otherwise met. Less happy in the sense that I was indecisive about what I wanted to do with my life (sometimes having too many options is not a good thing).

4. No, I really don't have an addictive personality at all. This might be related to my very short attention span.

I had no idea there were so many geniuses wandering around this forum. We all have our crosses to bear. How sad.

I too am afflicted with genius. Beyond this, I also have to balance it against more heart-stopping good looks than should have ever been visited upon just one man.

Aaaahhh. It feels so good to finally come out and admit that terrible secret.

Geniuses don't do humour I'm afraid.:sad:

you're calling me stupid? :depressed:

Meh, I don't get why it would be 'immodest' to admit you're smart. It's not like I chose to get a high IQ or something. Like floppy ears, it's something you get when you're born, so why should I hide it from the world?

i agree with you entirely! although i'm not sure people with floppy ears can be quite as proud of themselves. freaks.

Meh, I don't get why it would be 'immodest' to admit you're smart. It's not like I chose to get a high IQ or something.

Agreed. School programs that separate kids into IQ hierarchies would be to blame for that. In retrospect I suppose I'm glad the schools in my area didn't do that when I was growing up.

Also, I've always thought that intelligent by nature and smart are very different even though they're often used as interchangeable. Smart is more a function of high EQ.

4. Many, ranging from very minor to major things. I also have a fear of future addictions that I won't be able to prevent myself from falling into (this is probably a question better asked of someone ten years older than I am).

You are correct to be wary.

More generally, in my opinion, any addiction is a craving for emotion.

I had my IQ tested in the 6th grade and the proctor came out, asked me if I eat paste in class, and left. I always thought that was odd.

Back
Top Bottom