A little quiz for those in the gifted/genius IQ range - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Whether there is a health or financial problem, relationship or spiritual issue, the plain truth is that alcohol is the reason that change hasn't happened as of yet. But, equally true, as soon as alcohol is removed from your life, your goals and dreams will come true as surely as the sun rises each morning.
This bit seems doubtful, at best. Look, I won't make light of alcohol problems, if they are a problem for someone, which is not the case for every person. But this kind of simplistic absolutism... like so many things alcohol serves to fill a void. The problems will not just go away, absent it.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
Boy, have I got a song for you Finance Guy. If you don't know it already, I suggest you download the song "Between the Bars" by Elliott Smith. Spend a dollar, or euro, or whatever. It's the article you cite above, but set to music.
Well, I tend to make a deliberate effort not to listen to too much depressive music these days. In a similar vein, "The Living Dead" by Suede is my favourite downer song, though it's about heroin rather than alcohol.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #78
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
This bit seems doubtful, at best. Look, I won't make light of alcohol problems, if they are a problem for someone, which is not the case for every person. But this kind of simplistic absolutism... like so many things alcohol serves to fill a void. The problems will not just go away, absent it.
Agreed. It's not like life will suddenly go and become awesome when you're not drinking. There's so much more you'll have to do to get everything on the right track again. Dealing with problems instead of avoiding them by drinking for instance..
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
You used the term functioning alcoholic. Or was it highly functioning? In any case, I think that's one of the main things that keeps me from ever flirting with that point, is that I'm afraid I wouldn't function so well, and I'd lose any modicum of intellectuality that I've ever had. Maybe I just don't have enough confidence in myself. Who knows.

What I get from that lyric you cited is that with age comes the realization that no matter how much you know, you really don't know shit, because the possibilities of knowledge are endless. As a 17 year old, I thought I knew it all. Now, I realize how little I do know. I'm far less certain of many things now than I was then.

Define "lost in themselves." The Irish condition does sort of fascinate me, though. It's a unique cultural circumstance, for sure.
I've broken the daily drinking habit, I read somewhere it only takes three weeks to break a bad habit and so I've found. It was never hard liquor or anything, just a few glasses of wine a night. Well, ok, the entire bottle, in recent years.

I still have my crutches...but progress is being made...so that's something.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Another thing I wanted to ask is whether other people that are gifted have this tendency - when I've done something, especially at work, it doesn't interest me in the slightest doing it again, I am either on or off, not much inbetween, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Does anyone else have this?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #81
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Do you mean in a been-there-done-that-next! sort of way? Yes, but I attribute that not so much to an IQ score and more to the high D and low S in my DISC profile.

DISC assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
I've broken the daily drinking habit, I read somewhere it only takes three weeks to break a bad habit and so I've found. It was never hard liquor or anything, just a few glasses of wine a night. Well, ok, the entire bottle, in recent years.

I still have my crutches...but progress is being made...so that's something.
Good for you! Sometimes I think there's a real distinction to be made between genuine addiction and just breaking bad habits you've gotten into. Do you think you're more inclined to the latter?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #83
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Good for you! Sometimes I think there's a real distinction to be made between genuine addiction and just breaking bad habits you've gotten into.
I've been just an observer in this thread because some of it hits too close to home, but I agree with this.

I've dealt with both in my life, true alcoholics and those with true bad habits, sometimes the line is gray... but there is definately a line.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Good for you! Sometimes I think there's a real distinction to be made between genuine addiction and just breaking bad habits you've gotten into. Do you think you're more inclined to the latter?
Well, among the factors that might lead me to suspecting it's a bad habit rather than genuine addiction, is that for example, when at university, I didn't drink at all for nine months (run up to finals) and, perhaps more significantly, don't recall missing it at all during that period, and even when I did drink it was probably less than the average college student.

That said, on the other side of things, I think it's potentially dangerous to assume one isn't an alcoholic just because one doesn't need a 'stiffener' in the morning or whatever other patterns tend to be associated with full-blown dipsomania.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Does anyone else here experience earworms?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

That said, on the other side of things, I think it's potentially dangerous to assume one isn't an alcoholic just because one doesn't need a 'stiffener' in the morning or whatever other patterns tend to be associated with full-blown dipsomania.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about that so much as someone who habitually comes home at night and has a couple of drinks before dinner, and maybe even more on the weekend. I think in some cases, the person might not have a serious need, it's become more of a habit that's ingrained into their daily routine, as opposed to an addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
CONSTANTLY. I walk around with a soundtrack playing in my head all the time, and often, the songs get "stuck" for hours, or days, even.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Non-genius posting again, but can I say that I have the opening drum pattern to U2's Mofo (itself heavily borrowed from The Prodigy) stuck almost constantly in my head at present.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I'll get a song stuck in my head sometimes before bed and it will keep me up for hours. Again, like Kieran, not posting as a genius, but I find myself affected by much of the same things that are affecting some of you
Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #89
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
yes! sometimes i have problems getting to sleep because my brain won't stop playing music.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

I cannot remember a time when I didn't have music stuck in my head. It's been constant for years.