A cultural elite that rejects middle class values and censors debate - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I want to know who here is paying 40-50% in their effective tax rate? Anyone? Bueller?

Hell, how many are even in the 40-50% marginal tax rate?

It's like a friend of mine who said to me "it's so frustrating when they take half my pay for taxes!" and in reality her effective tax rate is something like 28%.

How much tax do we really pay?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #107
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Something I read years ago related the success of the welfare state to cultural homogeneity. The argument, as such, is that they don't work in multicultural societies, because of the presumption that the money of the "hard-working majority" goes to fund that of the "lazy minority," while in homogeneous cultures, it is seen as helping out one's neighbours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this was how it was explained to me by a Dane once.
It sounds plausible as a factor, although, looking at the most recent OECD data (2006), Sweden's foreign-born population for example was 12.9%, larger than the UK's (10.1%), while Norway's was 8.7%, larger than France's (8.3%). So not all the Scandinavian countries are all that homogenous. It does sound from a cursory glance like Sweden's foreign-born population (though not Norway's) is overwhelmingly composed of other Europeans, which might make a difference, and also these statistics might represent a very new development for Scandinavia, which could also make a difference.

I doubt that that's a wholly adequate explanation, assuming financeguy's perceptions are broadly correct.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

That theory about cultural homogenity and welfare is interesting, but I am referring more to the Irish tendency, perhaps less in evidence nowadays, to see tax evaders as 'showing it to the man', admiration for the local guy outwitting the system of government which originally came from a foreign invader, that kind of thing - the legacy of colonialism, in other words. It is not really a major stigma in some rural areas for a farmer to be caught evading taxes, maybe more so in Dublin.

(see Franz Fanon's writings on the subject for example)
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It sounds plausible as a factor, although, looking at the most recent OECD data (2006), Sweden's foreign-born population for example was 12.9%, larger than the UK's (10.1%), while Norway's was 8.7%, larger than France's (8.3%). So not all the Scandinavian countries are all that homogenous. It does sound from a cursory glance like Sweden's foreign-born population (though not Norway's) is overwhelmingly composed of other Europeans, which might make a difference, and also these statistics might represent a very new development for Scandinavia, which could also make a correct.

There is a lot of cross immigration between Scandinavian countries. Large scale immigration from non northern European countries into Sweden is a relatively recent phenomenon, and I understand is creating some problems.