9/11: Seven Years On(Discussion Thread) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:19 PM
On a related note, Bruce's The Rising will always be one of my favorite albums. Probably top 5. To write basically an entire album about that day is brilliant. Some of those songs are so incredibly moving- Nothing Man, You're Missing, and Paradise in particular.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
On a related note, Bruce's The Rising will always be one of my favorite albums. Probably top 5. To write basically an entire album about that day is brilliant. Some of those songs are so incredibly moving- Nothing Man, You're Missing, and Paradise in particular.

Nothing Man is my favorite song off that album. It's fantastic.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
It's nice to see a democrat and a republican agreeing on something.

I love that album too!

That Daily Show clip in the first post was really moving! Took me back to how we were all feeling that day. I was in grad school at Rutgers back then. I cannot forget seeing the smoke in the horizon from the rooftop of our 7 storey department building. The day just came to a complete standstill on campus and there were groups of people everywhere mourning and comforting others. Hope all the people personally affected by this tragedy have found the courage and moved on with their life. :Pray:
Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #34
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Hope all the people personally affected by this tragedy have found the courage and moved on with their life. :Pray:
:Pray:
Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:19 PM
The Rising is a fantastic album, and I'm glad I finally ran into it, especially today.

I don't have a lot to share, I live in Indiana and so I'll always feel slightly detached from what happened, which kind of upsets me. I got that same feeling last week when it seemed the Hurricane Gustav was about to destroy New Orleans forever. When Katrina hit, I was no where near what happened, and so, I could not TRULY fathom how terrible it was. The closest I got were two students who transferred to our school months after it happened, but I never even met either of them. But now I go to school in Texas, and I was completely chilled to the bone when I passed the first sign directing Gustav evacuees to various shelters around Dallas. It suddenly all kind of crashed in on me how absolutely heart breaking, and earth shattering Katrina was, and how awful Gustav could possibly be. But back to the topic at hand, in some ways, being so far away from New York, I know what happened was terrible, and I feel sorrow at the thought of what happened and always will, but I will never know how terrible it was to be there.

Personally for me what happened that day was nothing until 2:15 PM. Because I was taking a standardized test that week. And for some reason, some bastard in charge of my school decided the test was more important, and that the "children" shouldn't be interrupted. So I went through the whole day with not a care in the world. It didn't even dawn on me that it was strange that we didn't get our break that day. It wasn't until my step-dad picked me up from school that I was even vaguely aware anything was going on. It's possible they released us from school early, I don't really remember. I just remember getting home, and finally understanding what was going on, because...I actually had never even heard of the WTC until then. I'd seen it before, but I didn't know what it was or anything about it. Anyways, I took a walk, I started thinking about things, had a few hours there when I was convinced it was the end of the world. Made a hysterical phone call to one of my friends. The one truly terrifying thing about the situation was that I live 45 minutes from Chicago, and so we were all a little nervous, even if we were far enough away.

Anyways, it was awful, and I just wish that some things that happened afterward, had not, there's no going back, and I won't discuss those issues here, but someday I really pray that we can find some closure.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post

I listened to it this morning. It was my own moment of 9/11 remembrance.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I am hating the fact that as time passes by, I am losing the "hate" feeling of what those bastards did.....does this make sense?
*confused*
Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #38
Refugee

I lived in Northwest Indiana during 9/11.

I was in grade school and my buddy Jasen told me that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I was sure it was an accident, but throughout the day, more information came flooding in.

The Pentagon, WTC, Pennsylvania. There were rumors that the President was dead, too. You didn't think the world was coming into an end or anything like that. You just watched.

Everything changed after that. My brother spent the next six years on the front lines, from going door to door in Baghdad to fighting the Taliban in the mountains of Afghanistan. You heard daily reports of the terrorism threat level. You watched our freedom become traded for security.

But in the end, are we a stronger nation? I don't know. The levels of prejudice, racism, and hate have seem to increased so much now. Much of the world does not seem to respect us anymore, even though we couldn't do much about it.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #39
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I am hating the fact that as time passes by, I am losing the "hate" feeling of what those bastards did.....does this make sense?
*confused*
Why do we not see everyone with American flags on their cars like we did in the days and weeks after? Time heals and we get back to business as usual. It would be nice if we did a better job of remembering the great things about our country coming together and not let that fade away along with the sadness and hurt.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

CNN.com - September 11 Memorial
Old 09-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

I listened to it this morning. It was my own moment of 9/11 remembrance.
The Rising is definitely one of my all time favorite albums. It's such a snapshot of the time.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Beautiful The sister of Todd Beamer, who was supposedly the leader of the group that broke into the cockpit and fought off the hijackers on the Pennsylvania flight, goes to my mom's church.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #43
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Why do we not see everyone with American flags on their cars like we did in the days and weeks after? Time heals and we get back to business as usual. It would be nice if we did a better job of remembering the great things about our country coming together and not let that fade away along with the sadness and hurt.
No one will ever forget
Time doesn't necessarily heal but it does allow you to continue to live your life which is the greatest form of rememberance there can be
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I listened to the Howard Stern show from that day today. I know alot of people hate him but I love him. Listening to that show during all the events you really get the sense of what so many people felt at that moment. Hate, anger, racism, betrayl, revenge, sadness, disbelief. It was extremely interesting to hear people on live radio not be so proper, they just let out everything.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:19 PM
I remember. I was at work back at a university in CT. (We had just been in NYC on the weekend and had literally driven beneath the towers.) We listened to NPR every morning driving, and it was a normal day. We prayed together, and I got out of the car, and between getting out of the car and walking into the building -- a walk of about 2 minutes -- the world changed. I got in and everyone was talking about what happened. I remember clicking MSNBC.com and getting a fleeting glimpse of the building on fire before the website crashed. We had a staff meeting and suddenly the second tower was hit. Then my wife called and said that the Pentagon was hit. We found a TV somewhere and put it on. I remember when the towers fell, and I crumbled to the floor with it. Someone later that day made a snarky wisecrack by email about the president and I think I lost it. I sent an email back and then left work. My parents had been trying to call us from the UK to see where we were. They were panicked.

It was such a day of misinformation -- "there was a car bomb outside the White House! There's been an explosion! There are missing planes!" No one knew where the president was. No one knew what was happening. No one knew what was going on.

I remember hosting a prayer event that night on campus, and students packed into this little apartment knowing that we could do nothing else but pray. "When the earth trembles and quakes, it is I who holds its pillars firm," was the verse from the Psalm we used.

I remember the silence of the skies. I remember how quiet it was for days after.

I remember anthrax and everyone being so conscious of what they were sending in the mail, for weeks and weeks.

I remember Bush on top of the rubble on the megaphone. I remember when a firefighter yelled "We can't hear you!" and he yelled back, "But I can hear you!" I remember the Congressmen and women singing on the steps. I remember the pundits talking ad nauseum the day after about how the nation could heal and when the healing could begin, and it made me sick that they were trying to skip to the next point in the story they were trying to write. I remember my firefighter cousin-in-law driving down to Ground Zero the day after to lend a hand. I remember my flight to the UK in November, and how everyone applauded on the plane when we landed.

I remember the anger of the policemen and firefighters when NY suspended the recovery effort. I remember the first funeral and I remember the last funeral. I remember the memorial service. I remember Bush pleading with us to not respond in kind to our Muslim brothers and sisters who were not responsible. I remember stories talking about how Americans were banding together to help. I remember being proud of my country.

I guess most of all today, I just remember.