9/11: Eight Years On - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:50 PM
9/11: Eight Years On

It's 9/11/09. And this year, the media has been by far the quietist its been in eight years in the lead-up to this year's anniversary. For the past few days I've been waiting for someone on any of the news channels to say something about the anniversary approaching, but I've heard very little amidst the 24/7 healthcare debate. I'm sure it'll get its due coverage today. And it should. We should never forget how we all felt that day - the fear, the shock, the horror, the sadness, the anger, the...the stuff that can't even be put into words. I posted these videos last year and I'm posting them again this year because I think they do a good job of reminding us of what the country was feeling in the days immediately after the attacks. These are Jon Stewart and David Letterman's monologues from the first episodes of The Daily Show and The Late Show, respectively, after 9/11. They're really good. I recommend watching them as you remember 9/11 today.

Video: September 11, 2001 | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

YouTube - David Letterman - Reflections after 9/11 Sep 17 2001

This thread can be used a discussion/remembrance/'where you were you?' thread.

Never forget.

namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Location: This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here
I remember every detail of that day, both before and after I found out what happened. I even remember the clothes I wore.

I can't even begin to imagine how painful today must be for the loved ones of the victims.

daygloeyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Location: Where the streets have no name, White as snow, in God's country, Colorado USA
Local Time: 02:50 PM
I'll never forget that day either, my grandmother passed the night before and when I woke up my country was attacked. At first I didn't think it was real at all, until I saw my Dad with tears in eyes he grabs me and goes Baby girl, our country has been attacked, I was in total shock I remember setting them watching the towers burn than watched the last one fall. Sadly an old friend of mines Dad was one of the fire fighters killed I remember hearing it at school. Very sad day for all not just for America, but for the world. It just shows that in a blink of an eye everything can change. Never forget 9/11. God bless America!

No matter how hard they try they can never brings us down. I'll have my moment of silence for all those that were lost and all the victims and their families today. I always wear my red, white, and blue and will be flying my flag in front of my house.

This has always been one of my favorite photos.

Along with this.
floweravalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 03:50 PM
I think the fact that it's gotten politicized to death by all sides is one of the reasons you haven't seen the media coverage you think it may deserve. Unfortunately people have already forgotten.
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't care much at all for Letterman or Stewart, but the monologues they gave when their shows came back were excellent and very moving. Every year, whenever I watch the "as it happened" footage, I always start to cry. And I think I always will, and that's ok. September 11 changed my life. That's what inspired and drove me to want to protect the American people in some capacity, and why I'm currently a criminal justice major. Honestly, if that day never happened, I highly doubt I would be aspiring to work in the field that I currently am.

And you're right. It does seem like the coverage has been a little less this year...
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Local Time: 08:50 PM
I remember 9/11 as if it were yesterday.

I still cry. When, I see footage of the planes hitting the towers. The most horrible image in my mind is, the people on the upper floors, jumping or falling to their deaths. I also, remember seeing a photo taken inside of one of the towers of a young fire fighter. You could see it in his eyes. That he knew. He was not coming back out, alive. These men and women are my Heros.

People tend to glamorize celebs, rock stars, politicians, sports stars, etc. But, none of them have done what the fire fighters and police in NYC did on September 11, 2001.
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I still remember where I was, what I was doing and what I was wearing. It is always a sad day.
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 12:50 PM
I remember pretty much every detail from that day. My parents were supposed to be flying home from their vacation in the States, so I was in a panic, trying to get in contact with them, or find out where they were. It was a gorgeous fall day outside, and I remember being so mad that it was such a beautiful day. It didn't seem right for the sun to be shining so brightly.
Insert something interesting here
Thora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
there's no question that it's the defining "event" of my lifetime, so far, and it just gets weirder and more complex and more awful with each passing year, even as the viscera of that day has started to fade, just a bit, into history, even though i, like everyone, can give you a precise description of what i was doing that morning.

the best way i can think of to discuss it is to reprint part of this interview with Rabbi Irwin Kula from the superlative PBS Frontline documentary "Faith and Doubt At Ground Zero.:

These are final conversations that were recorded on cell phones, recorded on voice mail. They seem to me to be incredible texts, because they were at the moment of confronting life or death. They're so pure about the expression of love between husband and wife, between mother and child. ... When I read them, I just felt they were texts as sacred as the text that we end up having recorded, that we transmit from generation to generation.

I read these every single morning now, or most mornings, because they remind me that whatever my tradition is about; it's about this. It's about being able to express love. It's about being able to understand, taking care of our children. It's about being in real, genuine friendships. They just seem so real to me. ...

I know all these chants, because my father is a cantor. He transmitted all these ancient Jewish chants to me, so they almost naturally came out in chant. I realized, "My God, the chant that we use to read one of the Scriptures that tells the story of the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem and the burning down of that temple, those chants fit this perfectly," although that's not how I thought about it. The chant came and then I said the chant worked, which, of course, is the way a good tradition works. The chant has made them even more alive to me and then links these new texts to my traditional text, even though I don't know these people. But the fact is, we all knew these people in our own way. ...

"Honey. Something terrible is happening. I don't think I'm going to make it. I love you. Take care of the children."

"Hey, Jules. It's Brian. I'm on the plane and it's hijacked and it doesn't look good. I just wanted to let you know that I love you, and I hope to see you again. If I don't, please have fun in life, and live life the best you can. Know that I love you, and no matter what, I'll see you again."

"Mommy. The building is on fire. There's smoke coming through the walls. I can't breathe. I love you, Mommy. Good-bye."

"I love you a thousand times over and over. I love and need whatever decisions you make in your lives. I need you to be happy, and I will respect any decisions you make."

When I chant these, there's this mix of real sadness, because I think how many of these people probably, like me, didn't say some of these things prior to that moment. Then the second thing I think is how -- I get goosebumps, actually -- when you chant a text from the Torah, you have to get it just right, because it's holy. Getting it just right means you have to take it seriously. So when I chant this, I think about, "Well, what it would mean to actually make sure I feel this and say this?" post-chanting it. ...

It's incredibly life-affirming, because it's knowledge from the Ground Zero. It's knowledge from real experience, and that's what religion always was about to me, [and] I think I got away from that. That was from the head; 9/11 is about being from the heart.

My genuine experience of life is that there is nothing "out there." This is all there is. And when you see the seamlessness of it all, that's what I mean by "God." Every tradition has that. Every morning, three times a day since I'm five or six years old, I've been saying, "Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One." Right? It's one of our few creedal statements, the Shema. Three times a day, since I'm six years old.

If you ask what 9/11 really did, it made me understand the truth of that. The truth of that, "Everything is one." Not that there's some guy hanging out there who has it all together, who we call "One," but that it is all one. We all know it deep down. We've all had those experiences. whether it's looking at our child in a crib or whether it's looking at our lover or looking at a mountaintop, or looking at a sunset. Right? We've all had those experiences. And we recognize, "Whoa. I'm much more connected here."

That's what those firemen had. They recognized; they didn't have time to think about it, right? Because actually, if you think about it, you begin to create separations. They didn't think about it. All they knew is we're absolutely connected. We're absolutely connected to the 86th floor.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I live in Sarasota FL and while my career takes me to places mostly away from here it just so happened I was in the city the day of 9/11. I remember having to pick up and an associate that morning and she said to drive past SRQ Int'l Airport and see if we can get a glimpse of Air Force One. That was the one and only time I saw the aircraft and was saying to my colleague what a beautiful day it was, see the plane and the very blue skies hanging over the airport. My office is close enough to where we heard the "Motorcade" rushing to get the President Airborne and actually saw Air Force One ascending into the south west Florida sky.

I was living alone at the time (coming off of a seperation from my wife) and remember every news report that came after the initial attack was getting worse and worse. A bunch of us headed to a neighborhood bar close to work to see and catch up on the events that were happening in real time. I was standing in a crowded bar during lunchtime squeeze and seeing the video (for the first time) of the Towers coming crashing to the ground. I felt so alone among all of these people it transcended me. As the hours then days passed I was trying to desperately get in touch with business contacts that I knew in the North East. I knew a number of people that were in the Towers that morning, all but one survived. I had to fly (as usual) the next Tuesday after the attacks and had to deal w/ the empty airplanes (wondering if I was on the next flight to be attacked). I personally saw the 9/11 widows that every day would show up at train stations in Northern Jersey and south west CT just hoping that maybe just maybe there loved ones would be there to pick up there abandoned cars.

The first time my business ventures brought me into NYC I was shocked to not see the Towers. For Hayseeds like myself I used to use the towers for my bearings if I ever got turned around somehow downtown.

So that brings me to my thoughts on the US Gov't and how they let us down, they not only let us down they let the world down. Many of my conservative freinds have implored me to give this up and get back in line with the fold but the fact of the matter is we didn't get Bin Laden and many of you will say it really doesn't matter that we didn't bring him to justice but I guess it still matters to me and will never forgive the Administration that was in power at the time and the one before it when they had a chance at him.

Our Gov't FAILED all of us.
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Originally Posted by Thora View Post
... It was a gorgeous fall day outside, and I remember being so mad that it was such a beautiful day. It didn't seem right for the sun to be shining so brightly.
Yep. It was beautiful here too.
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I still can't believe it happened. My city was attacked. People I knew lost loved ones. My dad attended funerals of the firefighters, some of them sons of the men he used to work with.

A couple of nights ago, I was having nightmares of 9/11. I could see the planes heading towards the towers, the flames, people hanging out the windows or jumping, the collapse. That was really when old emotions came roaring back for me.

It does seem like people are forgetting. But I doubt New Yorkers would ever forget.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One thing I'll never forget about 9/11 was the aftermath. Misguided patriotism and racism. People incorrectly displaying and caring for their flags. It was a pretty ugly time. It seemed like every time I turned around people were selling fleeces, sweatshirts, tee shirts or hats with the 9/11 Never Forget slogan on it. I don't think anyone who was alive and aware of what was going on will ever forget 9/11. Just like people who were alive and aware of Pearl Harbor will never forget that.

But, I really don't need to see video of the 2nd plane crashing into the tower again. I've seen it too many times already and its just too tough to watch.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:50 PM
It was actually hard to open this thread.
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
the thing that sticks out at me the most is the surreal factor of it all. as it was going on that morning, it almost seemed like it wasn't a big deal....like i wouldn't allow myself to be terrified by what was happening. i even went to class that day, and i remember the professer not even mentioning what happened and just going along with his lecture for the day. the magnitude of what had happened didn't actually hit me until the afternoon.

mikal is offline   Reply With Quote