Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 PM

Found that on the NASA webpage
Quote:
A Day of Remembrance
Visible from space, a smoke plume rises from Manhattan after two planes crashed into the towers of the World Trade Center. This photo was taken of metropolitan New York City the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, from aboard the International Space Station. "Our prayers and thoughts go out to all the people there, and everywhere else," said Station Commander Frank Culbertson of Expedition 3, after the attacks
I remember being stunned at what happened in NY. Then came word of the Pentagon being hit. My friend's brother works at the Pentagon. I went cold. I raced to the phones in the office at work and called his mother and my friend. No one had heard anything, yet.

Found out the next day he was out of the office when it happened. Long 24 hours. It was his part of the Pentagon that got hit. He lost friends and co-workers. I was so thankful that he was safe yet felt guilty to be that happy when so many others were not able to be.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:12 PM
I remember that day so very well. I had the day off work, and was watching TV, and saw both planes hit the Twin Towers. I could not believe of what I saw. Then it was announced that a plane had crashed in the state of PA. When they said where it went down, my heart just sunk, learning that is was only 50 miles from where I live. It was just a horrible & sad day for our country, that so many innocent people died.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
The attacks will soon be forgotten and September 11 will be remembered for what it is....

...my fucking birthday.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrball View Post
The attacks will soon be forgotten and September 11 will be remembered for what it is....

...my fucking birthday.

- Knock Knock.
- Who's there?
- 9/11
- 9/11, who?
- You said you'd never forget!!

Happy Birthday.

I'd always had a fear of heights, 9/11 has definitely exacerbated that. I hate even being in the short high rise buildings that we have around here.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
I still remember a lot from that day, even if I was thousands of miles away in Australia, even if I was just a clueless kid. Like I said, I was still a kid when the planes crashed into the towers, I remember waking up, getting ready for school. As I turned on the TV out came a breaking news broadcast, being young I really didn't understand the severity and the atrocity of the attacks, and didn't make much of it but I remember it was the talk of the class. I remember other students in class re-enacting the catastrophe using their hands as aeroplanes crashing into table legs accompanied by voiced crashing noises.

Yesterday, at school I watched a DVD of the attacks, everything that happened in the short space of those few hours. I was watching with a gaping mouth as the first plane smashed into one of the towers, people down below gasping at what they just witnessed in front of their eyes, the smoke steadily escaping out of the building, btw a lot of the footage was amateur. Later on, I saw probably the most disturbing thing in my entire life, people just jumping out of the buildings knowing that they faced certain death, it was one way or the other. You could see many papers and documents just floating out of the building and taking their place on the ground.

Then, sometime later the second plane hit the other tower, BAM! more directly than the previous. That hit me pretty hard emotionally, too. Later on in some amateur camera footage a man spotted someone in one of the towers waving the American flag out the window, then he turned the camera away as soon as he saw the man just falling out of the building. Heartbreaking stuff. It was very horrendous although I've never really liked or respected America as a country, in terms of blood I am not a westerner.

Does really remind you how bad this really was, and how significant ATYCLB became after these attacks.

(Gee I ramble on a lot)
Old 09-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
9/11 < 12/26

And its hero the Conqueror Worm.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #22
WCF
The Fly

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Yeah 9/11 happened when I was in fifth grade. The teacher made it out to be a big deal, but no one else in the class could understand what was happening. She said this could change the world - she bought us all papers. Unfortunately, we were all just too young to understand. I knew it was a big deal when my dad - who claims to hate politicians and heavily criticizes the country - got an American flag bumper sticker for his car.

Still. I read news articles that said that my generation, the high school graduation class of '09, is the "9/11 generation." I dunno about that, we were awfully young when it happened.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:42 AM
I was on a plane from Dublin from London when it happened. We landed at Heathrow and heard from the ground staff. Then while we were trying to truly understand what he meant, we watched an American Airlines plane being towed into the middle of the field, which was very strange.

That week I was bummed that I missed the Slane concerts by a week but we ran around Dublin and had a great time. I prefer to remember that 10 September I was drinking in the Clarence, rather than what happened the next day.

I remember just feeling very, very, very far from home that day....
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 AM
two days ago, it was eight years ago since the 9/11 attacks.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #25
45:33

Local Time: 04:12 AM
i'm from australia and i was only 11 at the time (i remember being angry my tv show got interrupted!) but what a horrible thing to happen.

and wow what a video that is, letterman.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Extra hugs to all here who knew people who perished in the 9-11 Atrocity.....

Among my circles we were incredibly lucky:
one person either was late to work, or stepped into a coffee shop (instead of Towers); one who had fairly often been in the Towers visiting clients was not there that day; and the most amazing of all was a person who worked on around the ? 102nd floor (and who probably have not made it down the stairs in time) was fired about 2-3 weeks before 9-11.

Longish story b/c it was in a way- UNUSUAL in how i found out :

I don't usually watch TV in the morning unless I know about something incredibly amazing or horrific has happened before I went to sleep (such stories that big would continue on when I woke up), so I had NO DEA this was happening upon awaking at 10AM.

The UNUSUAL thing for me, however was NOT turning on my Walkman in the morning which I have on as I get ready to leave the apartment building, catch news, Local Public Radio programs, and Rock& Roll stations.

SO I left the building, heading down my street which is perpendicular to a Major Brooklyn Avenue that in looking northwestward would sightline towards Lower Manhattan as it leads towards the Manhattan Bridge. I see how beautiful the day is... the type of Non-Rainy Puffy Happy Summer Clouds showing up between the trees, low apartemnt buildings, and brownstones of the area signaling LOW HUMIDITY Summer Weather here and there in the sky.

As I get near my corner, and FINALLY turn ON MY WAlkman I CLUELESSLY hear several newscasters talking in mid-stream (which at that point DOSN'T ID where/what building(s) ..."fireman cover in ashes...." ... I know this sounds trite but it looks like a movie...." then they all go silent for what feels like least 15 - 30 seconds < which in radio parlance means too much "dead air" time> as I am almost ready then cross the next corner to go down the street leading towards that Major Brooklyn Avenue.

I'm imagining (a certain prevalent type of) some poor big red-brick building a block long around 12 stories high found in the Borough of Queens... and thinking... 'how awful!...', WHEN one On-Air person returns to say in a flattened voice... "The Towers are gone" ....

I spun to face the street across from me, and stopped short in my tracks- staring at my walkman as if it's turned into a small squawking monster !!

IN NYC "The Towers" then meant only one place, but perhaps I (like millions of others) didn't believe this because HOW COULD THAT BE !?!!!

I begin to swiftly but only semi-consciously reel in all the things I learned . Something big on fire/ incredible surreal/ Towers gone/ I am facing towards Lower Manhattan now....... WAIT A SECOND ... that Happy Summer Cloud in front of me ?? I [I ]hadn't ACTUALLY turned around [/I] from side- to-side looking about the sky above my street/ block because I was focused ahead in a hurry to get to the Subway ... were there any other clouds around???...

Some part of me must of caught on before the rest of me because I then then sort of shot up straight, spun back around, and then stared straight ahead at what I thought had been a Happy Summer Cloud sticking up above the lower, but way closer local buildings that blocked a farther view .

Almost like a zoom lens my sight focused in-- it wasn't the bright-white with blued-gray shadows that a cloud of that type and [B]in that time of day/season would look[ like[ /B]....... no, instead I began to see the lightish but distinctive grayed-beige yellow color it really was.

And didn't it look more somehow more gritty-ish, > well, wait... didn't that meant it wasn't just a cloud "cloud", then?

And I am
Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
the thing that sticks out at me the most is the surreal factor of it all. as it was going on that morning, it almost seemed like it wasn't a big deal....like i wouldn't allow myself to be terrified by what was happening. i even went to class that day, and i remember the professer not even mentioning what happened and just going along with his lecture for the day. the magnitude of what had happened didn't actually hit me until the afternoon.
I had a similar experience in that later in the afternoon I was visiting a friend in University. I was totally blown away by what had happened and was trying to gauge everyone else's reaction...it struck me that many people didn't even know what had happened (i.e. had been in class all day and were NOT informed!!!) or just didn't get the magnitude of the event yet. To me it is unforgivable for a professor to not immediatley stop classes and concentrate on the event at hand...it really gave me a certain insight into some Professors and their complete lack of appreciation for the moment. It also made me worry that people wouldn't drop everything they were doing and stand in awe but instead would go to their next class. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks, namKcur or the Letterman & Stewart Vids. I had no Cable TV at that time so I didn't and hadn't seen the Stewart one beofore.

I type S-l-O-W so the time ran out on my post.
I quoted and finished it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post

Extra hugs to all here who knew people who perished in the 9-11 Atrocity.....

Among my circles we were incredibly lucky:
one person either was late to work, or stepped into a coffee shop (instead of Towers); one who had fairly often been in the Towers visiting clients was not there that day; and the most amazing of all was a person who worked on around the ? 102nd floor (and who probably have not made it down the stairs in time) was fired about 2-3 weeks before 9-11.

Longish story b/c it was in a way- UNUSUAL in how i found out :

I don't usually watch TV in the morning unless I know about something incredibly amazing or horrific has happened before I went to sleep (such stories that big would continue on when I woke up), so I had NO DEA this was happening upon awaking at 10AM.

The UNUSUAL thing for me, however was NOT turning on my Walkman in the morning which I have on as I get ready to leave the apartment building, catch news, Local Public Radio programs, and Rock& Roll stations.

SO I left the building, heading down my street which is perpendicular to a Major Brooklyn Avenue that in looking northwestward would sightline towards Lower Manhattan as it leads towards the Manhattan Bridge. I see how beautiful the day is... the type of Non-Rainy Puffy Happy Summer Clouds showing up between the trees, low apartemnt buildings, and brownstones of the area signaling LOW HUMIDITY Summer Weather here and there in the sky.

As I get near my corner, and FINALLY turn ON MY WAlkman I CLUELESSLY hear several newscasters talking in mid-stream (which at that point DOSN'T ID where/what building(s) ..."fireman cover in ashes...." ... I know this sounds trite but it looks like a movie...." then they all go silent for what feels like least 15 - 30 seconds < which in radio parlance means too much "dead air" time> as I am almost ready then cross the next corner to go down the street leading towards that Major Brooklyn Avenue.

I'm imagining (a certain prevalent type of) some poor big red-brick building a block long around 12 stories high found in the Borough of Queens... and thinking... 'how awful!...', WHEN one On-Air person returns to say in a flattened voice... "The Towers are gone" ....

I spun 90 degrees in shock to face the street across from me, and stopped short in my tracks- staring at my walkman as if it's turned into a small squawking monster !!

IN NYC "The Towers" then meant only one place, but perhaps I (like millions of others) didn't believe this because HOW COULD THAT BE !?!!!

I begin to swiftly but only semi-consciously reel in all the things I learned . Something BIG on fire/ incredible surreal/ Towers gone/ I am facing towards Lower Manhattan now....... WAIT A SECOND ... that Happy Summer Cloud in front of me?? I hadn't ACTUALLY turned around from side- to-side looking about the sky above my street/ block because I was focused ahead in a hurry to get to the Subway ... were there any other clouds around... did that mean mean something?

Some part of me must of caught on before the rest of me because I then then sort of shot up straight, spun back around, and then stared straight ahead at what I thought up to that second (consciously, anyway) had been a Happy Summer Cloud sticking up above the lower, but way closer local buildings that blocked a farther view.

Almost like a zoom lens my sight focused in-- it wasn't the bright-white with blued-gray shadows that a cloud of that type and [B]in that time of day/season would look like[ /B]....... no, instead I began to see the lightish but distinctive grayed-beige yellow color it really was.

And didn't it look more somehow more gritty-ish, > well, wait... didn't that meant it wasn't just a cloud "cloud", then?

And I am looking towards Lower Manhattan. Then.... that must mean, that must be the cloud of destruction, I'd glimpsed already as I left home- and was now facing.
THAT'S when I clapped my hands over my mouth and went half-crying, half-screaming back home. As I did-I heard about the Pentagon and Pennsylvania. It was getting worse & worse.

I didn't even look at the TV footage till around 11 PM. I was scared of w how intense my reaction would be. So until then I was glued to my local Public Radio station.
-------------------------------------------

I had spent a year way back in 80- 81 working on the 73th floor of the South ( No #2) Tower. An amazing view: looking east towards Long Island - with binoculars I once saw Concord take off from JFK, and Northwards past the George Washington Bridge, past The Tappanzee Bridge (NYC Suburbs) all the way up towards the Ramapo Mountains.

After that (and before) I'd worked on & off in that area.
Sometimes for a change of pace -because you can be right by the Hudson River (after work in that area) I would visit off & on and relax around the Palm Court, and the North Cove & Plaza of The World Financial Center; walked the Esplanade, and the Upper & Lower Parks of Battery Park City.

I fell in love with The Towers (while working there), then because I saw how they acted like canvases for the natural light and cloud conditions around them!

So not only were they an engineering feat of the time but they became to me an important aesthetic place to be around.

I grieved for My New Yorkers & My City, all the visitors there for business and fun, for my Country, and I also grieved for The Towers as well.

------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most striking & moving things (along, of course, with the amazing people who gave their lives, or healthier previous live, and those volunteering after) was all the spontaneous Memorial ) and gatherings) of people & physical stuff representing all manner of emotions, symbols of the people towers lost... was the BIGGEST Memorial at the southern end of 14th Street - Union Square .

It became there because across the street (south side of 14th) was the no-go zone except for certain people an professionals, and this was the biggest and CLOSEST TO area for people to congregate, and mourn etc.

What didn't hit me the first minutes I was there (and revisited again & again till it was removed) then finally did:
... as a semi-activist I had for decades gone to Marches, gatherings in NYC and elsewhere etc marking problems & tragedies all over the world, and other part s of The USA>> but until then I had never had the "eyes of The Country & The World" turned towards NYC in this particular fashion before (and hope & never again ).

For me it added an even more sense of stunned-ness, as it also gave voice to our sorrows etc.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

tired here clicking-- wrong button?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

PS>>>>

Altho, heh, let me tell you--
it was NO fun at ALL at times being the #2 or would it be > #1B [ DC being the #1/ #1A ] Nuclear Bomb TARGET during the Nuclear Cold War stand-off between the USA and Soviet Union!