8.9 magnitude quake hits japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
7.9 magnitude quake hits Japan; tsunami warning - The Denver Post

there's also a 6 metre (20 feet) tsunami warning for the miyagi prefecture. there was also a 7.3 magnitude quake nearby on wednesday.

not sure how many japanese interferencers there are but stay safe, guys. :(

edit: also just read it was upgraded to an 8.8 magnitude but i can't seem to find any credible sources for that, so yeah. no matter what it's bad.

The Age is currently reporting it at 8.9, followed by a 7.4 aftershock half an hour later.

Fucking hell, Christchurch was bad enough.

Australians, put on ABC News 24, they've got live footage from NHK World. It's absolutely terrifying.

The newsreader on there is calling it at 8.4 right now.

Re: the discrepancy in magnitude measures being reported in the media, apparently the US Geological Survey recorded it at 8.9, while Japan's meteorological agency at 8.4. That's per The Age.

CNN with the lamest earthquake damage video ever

LOOSE PAPER EVERYWHERE

MY OFFICE IS RUINED

a couple new things:
- there's been eight aftershocks since the 8.4/8.9 earthquake
- tsunami warning for nz, australia, hawaii, and i can't remember everywhere else listed but it was all places on the pacific of course.

ok this tsunami helicopter video is scary- it's marching straight over farmland at this road with cars still driving on it.

Most the videos I've seen from the Boxing Day earthquake were from coastal resorts right by the sea

I saw it, it's horrible!!!!!

I'm guessing that the network and helicopter cameraman opted to cut away in order to not broadcast deaths on live television. My parents' home is near some farmland, I'm going to be glancing over my shoulder next time I'm driving there.

Reporting the news should be the least of their concerns :tsk:

Aftershocks always happen as a result of an earthquake. It is the way of nature. I don't know why they think it's a good idea to sit there and count the aftershocks. It doesn't mean anything.

Not that it's not absolutely awful, but it's almost like the media wants to make it look as bad as possible. They're happy to update you with every flipping aftershock recorded to keep you watching (as if you're not already watching with your eyes glued to the television in horror already).

The aftershocks can be more dangerous than the actual earthquake. That's why they report on them.

The aftershocks can be more dangerous than the actual earthquake. That's why they report on them.

Go back to 9/11. Do you ever recall the news sitting there and telling you as each floor of the twin towers collapsed into each other? No. It was happening and there's nothing you can do about it.

Aftershocks happen, and there's nothing you can do about it but sit and wait until the horror is done.

It's going to happen. There's no need to keep count and essentially rub it in.

Go back to 9/11. Do you ever recall the news sitting there and telling you as each floor of the twin towers collapsed into each other? No. It was happening and there's nothing you can do about it.

Aftershocks happen, and there's nothing you can do about it but sit and wait until the horror is done.

It's going to happen. There's no need to keep count and essentially rub it in.

yeah but i mean earthquakes are going to happen, hurricanes are going to happen, etc.

i'm of two minds about this kind of thing: the news can definitely overdo things when it comes to how they report, what they report, etc. but people need to know about this, especially since now more than ever we're all global. everyone probably knows at least 10 people who don't live in their country.

my initial post about the aftershocks (the agreeing one, not the earlier ones) is somewhat coloured because that was the text that was constantly being displayed on the screen, as if that's all that mattered. but that info needs to be out there. just imagine if you were half a world away but you knew someone in that region of japan.

i should probably stop though because if i really gave my opinion on how the news covers incidents like these, i'll probably sound like a huge hypocrite.

yeah but i mean earthquakes are going to happen, hurricanes are going to happen, etc.

i should probably stop though because if i really gave my opinion on how the news covers incidents like these, i'll probably sound like a huge hypocrite.

Not necessarily, earthquakes/hurricanes are not bound to happen at any given instance. But once they have, it is guaranteed that there will be aftershocks.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be reporting 'significant aftershocks' and noting them. It just seems like they've got no heart if they're sitting there saying 'and now it's 10', 'and now it's 11', 'and now it's 12', etc. etc.

It would do a disservice to the Japanese people to give the misleading impression that a solitary 8.9 quake struck, once, several hours ago. Noting the persistent 6-7 magnitude quakes that have continued over the last 2 days is critical towards understanding the current situation in that country.

wow. just turned on the news. could this Tsunami potentially hit other countries as well?

Back
Top Bottom