8.9 magnitude quake hits japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I've read is that there was heavy traffic along the roads in Oregon with their evacuations, and that they were evacuating one or two of the Washington coastal counties as well.

When you drive out near Mt Rainier, there are evacuation signs around there, too. It freaks me out to think about it blowing its top.

I don't really want to derail this thread any further, but I really cannot believe that the issue of reporting on aftershocks is being criticized. It is an essential part of the story. Either you report on the full story or don't report at all.

Clearly you were not awake as it was happening. Nor are the rest of you who are criticizing me for saying what I said.

They're showing video of potentially thousands of people dying pretty much live on TV and all they have to say is updating us on an aftershock count.

Aftershocks are something you can calculate, because they are 100% going to happen. They obey laws of nature and physics.

Just saw this little blurb on the BBC website. If this is even a little bit accurate, its just mind blowing....

The power of the earthquake off north-east Japan shifted the earth's axis by nearly 10in (25cm), Earth-issues.com reports, citing the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology.

This stuff freaks me out.
I remember both the recent Chilean earthquake and the 2004 Sumatran earthquake also affect the Earth's axis.

Heard from everyone I was concerned about. Several of my friends in Hawaii "slept" in their cars because they were evacuated to higher elevations, but they're fine and are headed back to their places shortly. In BC, the waters rose a little bit where my parents are, but so far it's been nothing to be worried about.

Heard from everyone I was concerned about. Several of my friends in Hawaii "slept" in their cars because they were evacuated to higher elevations, but they're fine and are headed back to their places shortly. In BC, the waters rose a little bit where my parents are, but so far it's been nothing to be worried about.

Glad your friends and family are ok.

I am so heart sick for all those people affected by this.

Cori, how did you hear about the evacuation sign around Rainer?
That's freaking me out since we are on the ring of fire too.

Cori, how did you hear about the evacuation sign around Rainer?

I saw them while driving around the Mt Rainier area. I think they're common around any of the active volcanoes - likely St Helens and Baker as well, although I can't say with 100% certainty that I've seen them in each area.

They have evacuation drills once in a while in the towns surrounding Rainier.

Think back to St Helens - the ash cloud went east, but the mudslides/lehars (I think that's the right word) are what caused the destruction, and they flowed down the other side of the mountain. People need to know to evacuate if the volcano is in danger of erupting, although I believe there's only so much that can be done to predict the area of destruction.

Edit: There's tons of info online, but this page has a picture of one of the road signs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier_Volcano_Lahar_Warning_System

And finally, from the Seattle Times: "Take note, Northwest: Offshore quake would create a tsunami like this." ugh.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014466822_quakethreat12m.html

I mean, for as long as I've lived here, I've heard that The Big One is a "when" and not an "if." But still - ugh. It makes my stomach hurt to think about either of these disasters happening.

BoMac said:
I don't really want to derail this thread any further, but I really cannot believe that the issue of reporting on aftershocks is being criticized. It is an essential part of the story. Either you report on the full story or don't report at all.

That said, the images from Japan are frightening. My thoughts are with all affected.

:up: :up:

I saw them while driving around the Mt Rainier area. I think they're common around any of the active volcanoes - likely St Helens and Baker as well, although I can't say with 100% certainty that I've seen them in each area.

They have evacuation drills once in a while in the towns surrounding Rainier.

Think back to St Helens - the ash cloud went east, but the mudslides/lehars (I think that's the right word) are what caused the destruction, and they flowed down the other side of the mountain. People need to know to evacuate if the volcano is in danger of erupting, although I believe there's only so much that can be done to predict the area of destruction.

Edit: There's tons of info online, but this page has a picture of one of the road signs:

Mount Rainier Volcano Lahar Warning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally, from the Seattle Times: "Take note, Northwest: Offshore quake would create a tsunami like this." ugh.

Local News | Take note, Northwest: Offshore quake here would create a tsunami like this | Seattle Times Newspaper

I mean, for as long as I've lived here, I've heard that The Big One is a "when" and not an "if." But still - ugh. It makes my stomach hurt to think about either of these disasters happening.

Thanks for all the info.! :hug: Ya, it's making me very nervous too!

It's very upsetting and my heart just goes out to all those people....
I can't imagine the terror and panic they must have felt/feel. They live on top of each other too, it's the most densely pop. country in the world I believe. :ohmy:
I freaked out last night when I saw this happened. I just returned a few days ago from Seoul S.Korea. I was in the neighborhood...it's very close to Japan. :ohmy:

This photo killed me (not graphic)...
1299831661842.jpg

I am in Japan now and has been for two weeks.

The country has been at a virtual standstill (at least here in the east) until a couple of hours ago, when the trains started running again.

I was stuck in a small town for 18 hours and had to sleep in a high school gymnasium, with small bits of rubble dripping from the ceiling throughout the night...
Quite an experience.
Back in Tokyo now, and many shops are shut, and not as many people are out on the streets as usual.

Everyone is a bit shaken, no pun intended.
All eyes are on the nuclear plant in Fukushima now, apparently it has started leaking small amounts of radioactivity.

I'll post some updates later.

there's been an explosion at the power plant.

Yeah looks like things are getting serious at the nuclear plant. Reports on CNN said the roof blew off one of the reactors. The evacuation radius has been extended to 25 km. It sounds like no one knows for sure how things are going to turn out.

"This is a situation that has the potential for a nuclear catastrophe. It's basically a race against time, because what has happened is that plant operators have not been able to cool down the core of at least two reactors," said Robert Alvarez, a senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington."

Nuclear agency: Explosion at Japanese plant - CNN.com

Scary stuff.

What's going on with this nuclear reactor?

Harry Shearer will no doubt not be pleased.

The powerplant leak was just a matter of time , if the reactor isn't watercooled (seriously,no pun intended) it overheats, its terrible. Plus the aftershocks are so heavy , somethings gonna break eventually. Makes you feel so sad... Like they need any more trouble than a Earthquake and Tsunami .

The country has been at a virtual standstill (at least here in the east) until a couple of hours ago, when the trains started running again.

I was stuck in a small town for 18 hours and had to sleep in a high school gymnasium, with small bits of rubble dripping from the ceiling throughout the night...
Quite an experience.
Back in Tokyo now, and many shops are shut, and not as many people are out on the streets as usual.

All eyes are on the nuclear plant in Fukushima now, apparently it has started leaking small amounts of radioactivity.

wow.. hang in there be safe. Glad you are ok and thanks for coming in and posting.. I guess the internet and cellular services are still working.. thank god for that.

Quite an experience.

Sounds unreal, but I'm glad you're well, and best wishes for everyone in the affected areas.

This is the worst thing you'll see all month. How goddamn heartless and stupid can people be?

Back
Top Bottom