8.9 magnitude quake hits japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow. just turned on the news. could this Tsunami potentially hit other countries as well?

yep, they've issued tsunami alerts all over:

from the Guardian:

A tsunami watch has been issued for the entire western coast of the United States and Canada from the Mexican border to Chignik Bay in Alaska

Tsunami alerts have been extended to the following countries among others:

Russia
Papua New Guinea
Australia
New Zealand
Fiji
Mexico
Guatemala
El Salvador
Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Panama
Honduras
Chile
Ecuador
Colombia
Peru

Not necessarily, earthquakes/hurricanes are not bound to happen at any given instance. But once they have, it is guaranteed that there will be aftershocks.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be reporting 'significant aftershocks' and noting them. It just seems like they've got no heart if they're sitting there saying 'and now it's 10', 'and now it's 11', 'and now it's 12', etc. etc.

Bear in mind that the Japanese reports vary from our own and likely give greater emphasis to the aftershocks afflicting localities throughout the nation (it's also likely that those afflicted have no power and are therefore unable to view our heartless newscasts).

But above all, it really seems as if you're looking for something to be righteously indignant about. I understand that we don't report on every dead puppy so as not to get us even more reliant on antidepressants than we already are, but reporting on the details of a catastrophe shows greater care and professionalism than cruelty.

it's just devastating and overwhelming beyond words...

and i'm amazed people have the energy and inclination to bicker in this thread actually, LuckyNumber7 i'm looking at you

Bear in mind that the Japanese reports vary from our own and likely give greater emphasis to the aftershocks afflicting localities throughout the nation (it's also likely that those afflicted have no power and are therefore unable to view our heartless newscasts).

But above all, it really seems as if you're looking for something to be righteously indignant about. I understand that we don't report on every dead puppy so as not to get us even more reliant on antidepressants than we already are, but reporting on the details of a catastrophe shows greater care and professionalism than cruelty.

:up:

and i'm amazed people have the energy and inclination to bicker in this thread actually, LuckyNumber7 i'm looking at you

same thing happened the day of 9/11 unfortunately, accept it was about 100x worse.

Yeah, I'm sorry for even contributing to it at this point.

I have no frame of reference for what's happening, but I would never wish to. This is hideously awful and my thoughts and prayers are with those whose lives are literally being shaken to their core at this very moment.

worrying reports re. Japan's nuclear power plants...

Kyodo News is reporting that a fire has broken out in a turbine building at Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi prefecture in the wake of today's earthquake.

9.53am: Some worrying news regarding one of Japan's nuclear plants from Justin McCurry:

According to Kyodo news, the operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant in northeast Japan has reported an abnormality after today's earthquake, the industry ministry said. The system to cool reactor cores in case of emergency stopped at the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors of the plant, which is run by Tokyo Electric Power, Kyodo quoted the ministry as saying.

conflicting reports about how high this wave could be. it's going to hit Hawaii at 3am local time and the US West Coast around 7am. some dude on CNN said it could be as low as 4 feet but it all depends on how much the ocean floor moved and it could potentially be much stronger depending on if it gains momentum.

kind of a sick feeling not knowing what will happen. i feel bad for those in Hawaii and US West Coast who are probably sleeping right now and have no idea they're in danger.

Totally.

And I for one AM interested in the aftershocks. I know nothing about quakes having only ever lived in the midwest but I would think the aftershocks are extremely dangerous, since the initial quake could weaken a lot of structures, and have people coming out of buildings and milling around, exposing themselves to more danger from collapses and falling debris during aftershocks.

Christ, this is just terrifying. Seeing those massive container crates swept away like lego bricks ...makes you realize just how fragile we are against nature. I've been to Japan and they are the most disciplined and organized people on the planet - they'll pull through this. My thoughts go out to them.

This is so devastating. :sad:

Still waiting to hear from friends in Hawaii as to how they fared. I live in BC (suburb of Vancouver, so I'm considerably inland), but my parents live on a small island right off the coast, so they could possibly be affected.

Another terrible disaster in such a short time :(
My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Aftershocks always happen as a result of an earthquake. It is the way of nature. I don't know why they think it's a good idea to sit there and count the aftershocks. It doesn't mean anything.

The 8.9 quake was itself an aftershock of a recent, smaller quake.

They have now had more than 30 aftershocks. That is unbelieveable. Many of those aftershocks would be considered substantial earthquakes on their own. So sad. the footage is very hard to watch, especially the video of the massive wave going over the farmlands.

I don't really want to derail this thread any further, but I really cannot believe that the issue of reporting on aftershocks is being criticized. It is an essential part of the story. Either you report on the full story or don't report at all.

That said, the images from Japan are frightening. My thoughts are with all affected.

The whirlpool thing is crazy. The whole situation is so overwhelming, I can't fully take it all in. Any one of those aftershocks would be a substantial earthquake, plus the tsunamis, whirlpool, burning refinery, the condition of the nuclear power plant.... Dozens of disasters all at once. :(

Still waiting to hear from friends in Hawaii as to how they fared. I live in BC (suburb of Vancouver, so I'm considerably inland), but my parents live on a small island right off the coast, so they could possibly be affected.

Do you guys have signs for Tsunami Evacuation Routes posted along the coasts like we do here in Washington?

I've always wondered how big or close to the coast an earthquake would have to be to cause an issue in Puget Sound itself. When the warnings are for the Washington coast, Seattle isn't at risk. Maybe some big currents in some of the waterways, if I understand correctly.

Just awful, awful and awful.

If anybody knows any JETs who are currently living in Japan and who you know FOR A FACT are okay, could you please let me know...

A) Their names
B) Their locations (in Japan)
C) Their home countries
D) How you know that they are okay

I am working at the Japanese Consulate General in Chicago, and we are trying to confirm who is/isn't okay. Post here or on my profile; no PMs. I will be happy to delete profile comments, in the interest of privacy, as soon as I get them. Just let me know.

Thank you x 99999999999999999999999999

Awful, devastating news. Feel really bad for the people of Japan, especially near the epicenter in the Sendai area. :(

I've been in an 8.0 earthquake and its no joke. So sad and devastating. :( My thoughts are with everyone in Japan.

We've got Tsunami goin on here on our coasts right now but doesnt seem too bad at the moment.

My clients visiting Guam said they are freaked out but safe.

Very sad and scary.
It astounds me that Japan has any infrastructure capable of surviving their earthquakes, and the people are so resilient.

Do you guys have signs for Tsunami Evacuation Routes posted along the coasts like we do here in Washington?

I've always wondered how big or close to the coast an earthquake would have to be to cause an issue in Puget Sound itself. When the warnings are for the Washington coast, Seattle isn't at risk. Maybe some big currents in some of the waterways, if I understand correctly.

Just awful, awful and awful.

I can't recall seeing any, but I'm sure they're around the coastal areas. I often drive through an area that's at high risk for landslides, so I've always been aware of those areas in case of an earthquake or avalanche, but this is obviously quite different. We haven't had to think about something like this in my lifetime (that I can remember).

I haven't heard any further updates about what's happened on our coast, but I've been swamped at work for the last hour. I sent a text to my dad early this morning, but he hasn't responded yet. I know he'd call me as soon as he could if there was anything happening there, so I'm assuming it's okay.

Back
Top Bottom