Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Wow... crazy how the exclusion zone still applies today, I would have thought the radiation would dissipate with time? Does this mean that people will never be able to return to within 30kms of the Fukushima plant?
The half-life period for caesium-137 is about 30.5 years. The fallout will be absorbed by plants and other organic matter. Like in Chernobyl, you would be able to go there after a couple years, but you should not touch anything or dig in the dust.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #167
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Really interesting time-lapse animation of >4.5 earthquakes in Japan, from the 9th until the 14th. Even prior to the 8.9 the number of quakes is surprising, but the number and quick succession of quakes after the 8.9 is staggering.

YouTube - Japan Earthquake Swarm Google Earth Animation

Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Red dots should not look that frightening. My god...I felt a weird urge to want to go in and try and get rid of them the way you try to get rid of a bug infestation. I saw a Google Earth image this past weekend on the Weather Channel, a before and after snapshot of Japan, and the difference was eerie. The "after" photo looked so desolate. It was fascinating in the absolute worst way possible.

Such a horrific situation. To all those in the area who've reported in, so glad you're all right, and Thora, I hope to every deity imaginable that the girl you mentioned you knew is all right as well. My thoughts go out to everyone who is suffering through this nightmare, I just can't even imagine...

And the talk of all the nuclear stuff terrifies and depresses the ever-loving shit out of me. I've been watching the news the last couple nights a bit and they talk about it, and at the end I feel really, really numb and deeply scared. How the people in Japan are remaining so calm about all this, I do not know.

As for that link about the inane Pearl Harbor bullshit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
It still surprises me that I am surprised how stupid people can be.
Ugh. Yes . I mean, in a way I'm not surprised, but still...for Christ's sake, people, use your brains.

Angela
Old 03-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #169
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Just got a hold of my former host family from when I stayed in Japan in 2005. I don't know why it just occurred to me that I could use Facebook to contact them . My host sister says they're all fine, but they may have to evacuate . I'm just glad to know they're well.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #170
Blue Crack Distributor

I finally just got word about one of the families I know in Sendai. Their immediate family is ok, although everyone she knows have lost people. They feel lucky because she thought for sure they were going to die. Their home is seriously damaged. They had no power up til now. The worst thing though, is that she says they have now run out of food. It feels awful not being able to do something for them. Unfortunately she has not heard from the other family we know in Sendai.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I'm glad the people you guys know are all right, relatively speaking, though I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances involving them all .

bonocomet, even if you can't send food directly I'm sure there's got to be some other way to help. If nothing else, at least, being a supportive, concerned friend is definitely something they could use. Have you gotten a chance to look at any aid or donation things or something? I do understand the feeling of helplessness, though.

Angela
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #172
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:39 PM
U2, Rihanna featured on new album to aid Japan | Entertainment | Reuters

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Irish rockers U2 and pop star Rihanna are among the artists expected to be featured on a digital-only album being rushed out by Universal Music to raise funds for Japanese quake and tsunami victims.

The world's biggest record label aims to make the album available by the end of the week, although the lineup of artists has yet to be finalized. Proceeds will go to the Japanese Red Cross, a spokesman for the group said on Monday.

"We are doing it only digitally because it is faster, and this will be a worldwide release. The plan is to have it available later this week," he added.

Key to the album's success will be finding more major acts willing to waive their royalties on the song appearing on the record.

Lady Gaga, also part of the Universal stable, may be one of the stars tapped to contribute to the album, having already raised money for the victims of Japan's recent natural disasters by selling a special wristband
Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #173
ONE
love, blood, life

New album!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

have they been reporting about the radioactive plume passing west to east across the pacific, US and atlantic?? apparently it is reaching Europe today but they claiming there is no risk to human health

in the US, were you advised to stay indoors or anything over the past few days?

here's a simulation from the french nuclear safety institute

http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/ir...ce_19mars.aspx
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #175
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I'm glad the people you guys know are all right, relatively speaking, though I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances involving them all .

bonocomet, even if you can't send food directly I'm sure there's got to be some other way to help. If nothing else, at least, being a supportive, concerned friend is definitely something they could use. Have you gotten a chance to look at any aid or donation things or something? I do understand the feeling of helplessness, though.

Angela
Thank you Angela
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

very worrying indeed... i just don't understand why they haven't encased the plant in sand and concrete yet?!?! wtf are they waiting for?

Japanese nuclear officials fear crack in reactor core
Possible damage at Fukushima nuclear power plant could cause leak of high levels of radiation

Justin McCurry in Tokyo
guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 March 2011 09.12 GMT

Nuclear safety officials in Japan fear the core of a reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant may have cracked, causing a leak of high levels of radiation.

Growing uncertainty over the state of the stricken reactor prompted the government to tell people living within a 12-19 mile (20-30km) radius of the plant to consider leaving their homes temporarily.

The government's chief spokesman, Yukio Edano, said 130,000 residents in the area had been encouraged to leave to improve their quality of life, not because their health was at risk.

The nuclear emergency, 150 miles north of Tokyo, has caused severe disruption to business, supply routes and other services in the area.

On Thursday, three workers were exposed to radiation after stepping in contaminated water in the turbine building of the No 3 reactor. They were trying to cool the crippled reactor when the accident occurred.

"The contaminated water had 10,000 times the amount of radiation as would be found in water circulating from a normally operating reactor," said Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for Japan's nuclear safety agency. "It is possible that there is damage to the reactor."

Two of the men received possible beta ray burns to their legs. All three have been transferred to a special radiation treatment facility.

Edano said the source of the leak remained unknown. "We are exploring every possibility, but we don't think this is a new situation, rather that a certain amount of radiation may have leaked from the reactor. This is a possibility that we have been mentioning for some time.

"But at this point we don't know if the radiation is coming from the reactor itself or from another source."

Nuclear officials say the leak may have come from pipes or the reactor's pool for storing spent fuel rods, which workers have been struggling to cool off since the plant was badly damaged in the 11 March earthquake and tsunami.

Officials were preparing themselves for the possibility that the reactor core was damaged in an explosion three days after the disaster that destroyed its containment building. The reactor contains 170 tonnes of radioactive fuel in its core, and is the only one of the facility's six reactors that contains the potentially more dangerous plutonium-uranium mixed oxide fuel.

Thursday's accident forced a temporary halt to work on two reactors while technicians check radiation levels.

"We should try to avoid delays if at all possible, but we also need to ensure that the people working there are safe," Nishiyama said.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #177
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
very worrying indeed... i just don't understand why they haven't encased the plant in sand and concrete yet?!?! wtf are they waiting for?
From what I've heard it's still just too hot. I guess if you encase the cores in concrete while they are still very hot, it insulates them. Then, if any water/moisture gets in, there can be a steam explosion.

I heard on the radio yesterday that because the power plant is run by a private corporation, they hesitated in pumping saltwater on the cores because they knew that would ruin the plant. I guess they thought they could try and keep it viable as a power plant (until reality set in).
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #178
Refugee

New York City is 25 miles from a nuclear power plant. Evacuation even possible? Never
Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #179
has a

I don't want my sushi microwaved from the inside:

Japan Frantically Tries To Trace Radioactive Water In Pacific Ocean

Quote:
The plant operators also deliberately dumped 10,000 tons of tainted water – measuring about 500 times above the legal limit for radiactivity – into the ocean Monday to make space at a storage site for water that is even more highly radiactive.

Oh well, nothing to worry about then:

Radiation safety: What you should know – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
It's true that radioactive particles from a nuclear disaster like this do get into the food supply, but so far there's no indication that there's cause for alarm. The particles emitted from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant bind to dust, which is how they travel through the air and eventually fall on the ground, according to CNN's chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

And how about what that water might do to fish? If you're still craving sushi, it seems that, unlike after the Gulf oil disaster, there isn't as much concern about the safety of fish from Japan, Eatocracy reports. Fishing in the prefectures near to the nuclear plant - Fukushima, Miyagi and Iwate - has been suspended since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, which makes it less likely that tainted fish will reach the market.
Sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fish is known not to migrate, especially tuna. (After some deliberation: )

On the upside, very good additional reason to stop eating red tuna and blue-fin tuna before it's entirely gone extinct.