7 year expiration on marriage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
By Madeline Chambers Fri Sep 21, 4:00 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Bavaria's most glamorous politician -- a flame-haired motorcyclist who helped bring down state premier Edmund Stoiber -- has shocked the Catholic state in Germany by suggesting marriage should last just 7 years.
ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriele Pauli, who poses on her web site in motorcycle leathers, is standing for the leadership of Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU) -- sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) -- in a vote next week.

She told reporters at the launch of her campaign manifesto on Wednesday she wanted marriage to expire after seven years and accused the CSU, which promotes traditional family values, of nurturing ideals of marriage which are wide of the mark.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," she told reporters. "My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."

After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved, she said.

Fifty-year-old Pauli, twice divorced, is a maverick intent on shaking up her male-dominated and mainly Catholic party which has dominated Bavarian politics since World War Two.

"This is about bringing ideas into the CSU and starting a discussion," she told German television on Thursday after she had unleashed a wave of criticism from other politicians.

Former foe Stoiber said she did not belong in the CSU and European lawmaker Ingo Freidrich dismissed her views.

"She is diametrically contradicting our Christian, ethical values," Freidrich said.

Peter Ramsauer, head of the CSU in Germany's parliament, compared Pauli's ideas to "the dirt under your fingernails".

Pauli, who attracted attention earlier this year when she posed for a magazine wearing long black latex gloves, was at the centre of a snooping scandal which eventually led to Stoiber, Bavarian premier for 14 years, saying he would stand down early.

She said his office tried to obtain details about lovers and alcohol consumption to use against her.

The CSU will elect Stoiber's successor as party head at a conference next week. He will be replaced as state premier in early October.

Viewed as a party rebel, Pauli stands almost no chance of winning next week's vote. The contest has been fought mainly between Bavarian state economy minister Erwin Huber and German Consumer Minister Horst Seehofer.

The popularity of Seehofer, a 58-year-old married father of three, has suffered from the disclosure that he had been having an affair with a younger woman who recently had his baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:scratch: um....wow....that's deffinetly a different approach...

Well how many people treat marriage and relationships as if they do have an expiration date? Tired of someone, they're not hot enough anymore, it's too much work, etc. So what's the difference really? And I'm talking about marriages that could be worked out, not those that are truly broken and can't be fixed for a myriad of reasons.

Kiki said:

wow...that's quite the blatant approach.

why exactly do you blame them or how did you get to that conclusion?

Irvine is gay. He's joking.:wink:

But I'm not. It's obviously their fault. They iz corruptin' the young mindz...and making marriage seem like it's not specialz!!!1111 Don't try to understand...it all won't make sense later, either..

Kiki said:

wow...that's quite the blatant approach.

why exactly do you blame them or how did you get to that conclusion?

we discussed this at the last Assembly For The Homosexual Agenda. it's all part of our plan.

:wink:

Irvine511 said:
we discussed this at the last Assembly For The Homosexual Agenda. it's all part of our plan.

I knew it!!! There you have it folks...undeniable proof of that organized homosexual agenda we hear so much about. :sexywink:

Irvine511 said:

That big agenda!!1111 To be free to be who you are and be treated equally under the law...we don't roll that way in this country..oh, wait...:hmm:

Irvine511 said:

I hope the DTO and Pink Pistol Packing Posse were represented :wink:

Seven does seem arbitrary but maybe that's from the "seven year itch"? Seems sort of kooky...I wonder if you'd have to pay for another marriage license if you decide to re-up with the wife...that would explain why a politician would want it.

I have an acquaintence (I don't know if I would characterize him as a friend) who seriously 100% believes gays are causing the downfall of western civilization...:uhoh:

As for that 7 year thing, wtf??? :confused: So if a couple wants to stay together would they let it expire and remarry?

U2democrat said:
I have an acquaintence (I don't know if I would characterize him as a friend) who seriously 100% believes gays are causing the downfall of western civilization...:uhoh:

As for that 7 year thing, wtf??? :confused: So if a couple wants to stay together would they let it expire and remarry?

Did he go down to his bunker with a tinfoil hat and lots of bottled water and canned soup on New Year's Eve '99' too?:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but that kind of crap pisses me off.

As for the 7 year marriage issue, I suppose the couple in question would have to file for a new marriage license or something along those lines. It seems pretty ridiculous to me though.:down:

UberBeaver said:
October 15th will be 7 years for me. :uhoh:

So are you going to re-up or not? :)

I would think the religious right would be all for it...after all the divorce rate would decline dramatically. :wink:

indra said:

I would think the religious right would be all for it...after all the divorce rate would decline dramatically. :wink:

Oh they don't care about the divorce rate, the sanctity of marriage is still intact as long as those gays aren't getting married.

I have thought of something like this too.

I never fleshed it all out.

And this plan has lots of holes.

If marriage were 5 or 7 year agreements with options to renew for the same term it might be interesting, all the financial aspects would need to be provided for, also child custody and support.

But those things also need to be mediated when marriages are dissolved or for that matter don't even take place.

If each spouse knew their contract was up in 7 years they might put more effort into it at year five
to assure their option was picked up.

Also, with the dissolution already negotiated we could end these terrible divorce battles.

Also, why would you want to marry someone that would not agree to a reasonable dissolution agreement up front if you did not want to renew with them?

Last edited:
Some things: She said she just picked seven years because of the seven year itch and because statsitically most marriages get divorced after seven years. But it was just a figure and she would be fine with another one as well.
She also said that 50 percent of marriages get divorced. I don't know if any of these numbers are real.
After that time you just have to renew. She didn't speak about fees, but as far as I know German fees it probably would be around ten to fifteen Euros.
It would only go for legal marriage, not church marriage.

It's not to be taken seriously, and won't happen.
Before she often spoke about politicians talking too much in "speech templates", and she wants to break this rule. So a commentator of the Spiegel I read guessed that this part of her proposed program was just to proof her attempt since all the other points she laid out were things that would make her electable and fit right into the program of the CSU.

As said in the article she won't have a chance to get elected the new party leader, so she probably uses every last chance to get some media attention since she is only a county commissioner.

But I think no screenwriter could have written a better script than what happened and currently happens in Bavaria. :D

I've been married for ten. . .I wouldn't have wanted to mess with the hassle of "renewing." I have enough trouble paying taxes!

I think some people miss the point of marriage. It's the whole idea of sharing a LIFE, your whole life, ideally with someone. There's a level of trust, of knowing your spouse, of planning your future, of knowing someone will always be there for you, that you just won't have with 7 year "terms."

Irvine511 said:

:lol:

cool. At our last meeting of The African American Community we re-nominated Jesse Jackson as our spokesperson. Yep. . .all the black people in America were there as usual.

Isn't it great being part of a group that thinks in lockstep and has it's "agenda."

Our most recent census in Canada just showed that for the first time ever, married people are in the minority. 51.5 % of adults over 18 are not married.

Other family stats in Canada from Statistics Canada

* For the first time, there were more families without children (42.7 per cent) than with children (41.4 per cent).

* The number of common-law families surged 18.9 per cent since 2001, to nearly 1.4 million families.

* Common-law families now make up 15.5 per cent of families, while 20 years ago, they only represented 7.2 per cent.

* Twenty-six per cent of families with children are headed by a single parent.

* Of the 1.4 million single-parent families, about 20 per cent are headed by men. The number of men at the head of single-parent families is growing more than twice as fast as the number of women.

Back
Top Bottom