6 Y/O Suspended for Bringing Camping Utensil to School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problem with no-tolerance rules, but I do think 45 days of alternative school for a first time offense is a bit much...

was that a general "how's your mom?" question? just wondering, because mine is doing well. she told me that she made tuna casserole for lunch today. she makes very good tuna casserole. growing up, it was one of my favorite meals.

I saw this story on the evening news and saw the camping tool. Why would his mother let him take a knife to school? I think the suspension was justified but I don't know about the 45 day alternative placement.

Maybe his mother let him because he's a suit wearing scout? She's naturally biased, but a knife is a knife. The school cannot make personal judgements on each offence as it occurs. I see no problem with a punishment for the boy, agreed, and the 45 day reform school is strange. I'm not sure what the case for reform is. It's not like a 6 year old can be taught how to make rational judgements beyond their age.

I saw this story on the evening news and saw the camping tool. Why would his mother let him take a knife to school? I think the suspension was justified but I don't know about the 45 day alternative placement.

It's a combination fork and knife.

He wanted to use it for lunch.

I remember being shocked when I went to school and was give a spoon -- ONLY a spoon -- to eat lunch. I looked at my food and thought "how are we supposed to eat this shit with just a spoon?" I don't think we got forks or knives until second or third grade. I was so offended that they wouldn't let us use knives or forks I'm surprised I didn't bring my own cutlery. :lol:

I'm just happy I don't have any kids and so don't have to deal with this crap.

It's a combination fork and knife.

He wanted to use it for lunch.

He's SIX!!!

He barely knows how to tie his own shoes, you don't allow them to carry a knife or knife/combo in their pocket unsupervised.

The fact that the scouts just hand them knives when they join baffles me :huh:, we had to pass a test before we were allowed to have our own knife back when I was in scouts.

That seems like it belongs in the "Your Conservative Side (or vice versa)" thread :D

:lol: Well I think the punishment should still be fair, but I think zero-tolerance policies keep people honest. It doesn't allow them to let the honor roll student slip past punishment because the teachers like him, etc...

what's this mom bullshit in my thread?

heres another similar story:

Rough Road Ahead for New York Eagle Scout as School District Won't Budge on Pocketknife Suspension - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

wonder how the school found out there was a pocketknife in his car? :hmm:

There are much bigger holes in this story compared to the other, like how did they find it in the car, and even even bigger why did they add 15 days?

I think there is more going on with this story...

It doesn't allow them to let the honor roll student slip past punishment because the teachers like him, etc...

it also doesnt allow for discretion and common sense in punishment.

oooh, expelled from the public school system, what a tragedy! :lol:

it also doesnt allow for discretion and common sense in punishment.

I'm not talking about the punishment itself, I don't think it's fair or makes sense in the 6 year olds case.

But "discretion" and "common sense" also can equal bias and prejudice. So it can swing both ways.

Back
Top Bottom