50% of Men Would Dump Girlfriend for Getting Fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
According Ask Men's annual Great Male/Female Surveys, half of all straight men say they would dump a girlfriend who got fat. 20 percent of straight women say they'd dump a boyfriend who got fat.
Silver lining: Half of straight men also think can tell when women fake orgasms, and another half say they would be upset if they discovered a woman had been faking orgasms. So, with any luck, these are all the same half of men, and when they dump their fat girlfriends, the girls respond, "All my orgasms were fake, anyway.

Half of Men Would Dump Their Girlfriends for Getting Fat

OK FYM guys: Would you dump your girlfriend for putting on weight? Does it depend how much weight she puts on? What about you, are you keeping your weight under control? What if she gets pregnant with your kid?

Or do you find this study to be misrepresentative of the American male?

I'll be honest - if the man I am dating suddenly lets himself go and gains 100lbs, if he doesn't do anything about it, I may consider letting him go. I prefer someone who takes care of himself.

Honestly, I think we could have a good discussion here on dating, appearances, and the differences between the sexes as well as same sex dating.

I'm on my phone so I couldn't read the whole thing. Did it state age? How long you were dating? Etc?

I think if you're young and your significant other puts on a significant amount of weight over a few months that can be alarming. Not only for shallow aesthetic reasons but also long term health, will they just let themselves go type of reasons.

I've never dumped anyone for this reason, but have known plenty of boys and girls who have.

Honestly, if she put on a large amount of weight and didn't seem to care to do anything to change it, yes, I'd consider it.

I'm on my phone so I couldn't read the whole thing. Did it state age? How long you were dating? Etc?

I checked out the actual survey and no, it doesn't mention age or length of relationship.

it's not like, "i won't date fat people because i'm shallow, so if you get fat i will dump you because fat people are ugly, and i am shallow," it's more that if someone were to gain a large amount of weight it would raise questions as to what else is going on in their lives. this is a health issue, and i'd feel it my job as part of a couple to tell the other person that i was concerned about their health and, yes, about their physical appearance (in the same way i'd tell them that they needed to shower or brush their teeth). obviously, there are better ways to handle this than others, offering to cook better food and exercise together is a great way to start, rather than, say, buying someone an exercise bike for their birthday (hint, hint) or simply withholding sex without an explanation.

but, if i were to answer such a question in a yes/no fashion that such a poll designed to shock demanded, i'd have to say "yes." which of course would be speculative.

Only if she was eating herself to death. Agreeing with Irvine that positive reinforcement (like eating healthy and exercising) would send the signal better than negative criticism.

I'm not a guy but...I think gaining a lot of weight and becoming obese would be a problem. It's not just about looks but overall health. Neither of us are perfectly healthy but we both try to stay within a certain range because we like being more active and having more energy. If I started packing on pounds I would hope that he would have some concern.

OK FYM guys: Would you dump your girlfriend for putting on weight?

No. But (potentially, hypothetically) the opposite, as I like curves.

Does it depend how much weight she puts on?

Up to a point. Gross obesity is certainly a turn-off.

What about you, are you keeping your weight under control?

I don't tend to put on excessive weight. I was slightly overweight a few years ago but lost it when I took up a (very moderate) exercise regime, and stopped drinking a bottle of wine every day.

Or do you find this study to be misrepresentative of the American male?

No idea, but I don't tend to put a lot of credence in surveys like this.

Society by itself has created an sphere of influence where people put too much value on physical attractiveness and the constant search for it; what has happened to the appreciation of personality in a person without including physical traits?

what has happened to the appreciation of personality in a person without including physical traits?

romantic love almost always involves some kind of physical attraction. what people find physically attractive can vary wildly, and the importance of physical attraction can vary wildly over time in a relationship.

but, given the question at hand, where we're talking about a "girlfriend" -- which i take to mean someone you are dating but have not yet become married -- yes, a significant weight gain that isn't due to health reasons but lifestyle choices would make me consider not continuing the relationship because i know, for myself, that i need to be with someone who makes healthy lifestyle choices because i need the help myself.

Another part of that survey that I just saw on Yahoo

AskMen.com just released the results of their 2011 Great Male Survey, which polled over 70,000 men from the United States, Canada, England, and Australia, about everything from their personal grooming habits to their breakup styles. AskMen also included a couple of questions pertaining to celebs, where the results revealed that although Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber came in at #1 and #3 on Forbes' Celebrity 100 List respectively, it doesn't mean that everyone loves them.

When asked which female public figure they were most tired of hearing about, the men were presented with the following choices, and the results were as follows:

29% Lady Gaga
25% Sarah Palin
17% Kim Kardashian
15% Lindsay Lohan
3% Kate Middleton
3% Pippa Middleton
8% None of the above

Interestingly enough, when the percentages were broken down according to country, it was revealed that a whopping 42% of gents in the U.K. are not into keeping up with curvaceous Kim Kardashian. Meanwhile, 30% of American dudes said they were fed up with seeing Sarah Palin make headlines, while 34% of Aussie males and 32% of Canadian guys are so over Lady Gaga.

When asked the same question about males they were most sick of seeing in the spotlight, the results weren't quite as surprising. Clearly, men around the world have not been struck by Bieber Fever, and Charlie Sheen is no longer "winning."

47% Justin Bieber
20% Charlie Sheen
12% Barack Obama
8% Donald Trump
4% Prince William
3% Mark Zuckerberg
0% Arnold Schwarzenegger
6% None of the above

Check out AskMen.com to see all of the results from their 2011 Great Male Survey.

no. i'd ask for permission to fuck other people and for the spouse to pay their fair share of the increased grocery bill.

(a simple poll designed to shock requires simple answers designed to shock)

and for the spouse to pay their fair share of the increased grocery bill.

:lol:

Seriously, if my husband is putting on a lot of weight, hopefully I am too. I'd like to marry someone who is dedicated to making healthy living as part of our marriage, and I think it would be better if we both go off course. Because one of us is getting fat while the other isn't, then I'd wonder what went wrong between us. I think it would symbolize a problem with the marriage.

But this also makes me wonder - should a husband complain about his wife being fat after giving birth and is not losing weight fast enough? Not all women regain their form after pregnancy.

no. i'd ask for permission to fuck other people and for the spouse to pay their fair share of the increased grocery bill.

(a simple poll designed to shock requires simple answers designed to shock)

:lmao:

At least you'd ask permission first!:wink:

I would definitely give my g/f a chance to lose any weight that she has gained, and i'm not talking about 5-10lbs. If they got over 20lbs from when we first met or fell for each other, I think a discussion is in order.

I'm not really sure it's a discussion that is going to go over well though. I've found in my past relationships this tends to happen, meet a gal, we get serious, they start to gain weight. Then they complain they are fat, I'm not really sure how to respond, and when I do respond asking if they'd like to workout more (with me) or start eating better (with me) i get resistence.

If someone wants to lose weight, my attitude now is "don't talk about it, do it". It's harsh but in my experience I've found trying to be supportive has gotten me no where but fights.

What I'VE found difficult is actually meeting women who don't use my body type or size against me. I'm 5'8" which seems to be short nowadays, 140lbs and I have a body fat % between 5-7% (NOT TRYING TO BRAG ;) ) But I'm someone who works out a lot, always conscience of what I'm eating, and just enjoy being active.

My experience lately seems to be the workout chicks who are shorter than me and in shape want a guy who's taller. Why a 5'2" chick wants a 6'5" dude is beyond me :). Then I struggle with women who are "average" in size because they feel they're either close to my weight, or are above it. So they can't date me because I'm smaller than them.

In the end I can only be happy with myself, hope to find someone that finds me attractive and *gasp* mesh well with my personality. But I think I am seeing a slight change in what the survey says. Guys are always going to be more visual, but I think women are gaining in this area as well.

^ I've never really known how to respond to female friends, coworkers etc. who do that, either--frequently lament how out-of-shape they are, seem truly down on themselves about it, but then never attempt to change either their eating or exercise habits (there are a few men who do this, too, but it's rare). It can get a bit annoying sometimes, because I wasn't thinking about the person's weight/appearance in the first place until she mentioned it, yet then I feel like it's a faux pas if I can't manage to say something "helpful" (and so far as I can tell there is nothing helpful). I don't know what their partners think.

i will say that in our first year or two together, both of us gained weight. i think the end of the pressure to going out and look good in order to attract a mate tends to result in being a little bit less concerned about the gym and a little bit more likely to order dessert. plus, we both really like food, we both cook reasonably well, and it can be much more fun to stay in and cook (or get take out and polish off a bottle or two of wine) and watch a movie.

but we both gained a bit, together, and we are both working out much more these days together (not at the same time, we do our separate thing, but we are both exercising) and try to suffer through healthy meals together.

if, say, between now and Christmas either one of us suddenly gained 50lbs (barring any health reason) then, yes, there would be a big discussion because part of our relationship -- as two big men who will put on weight if not careful -- is about trying to keep that weight off and to be healthy together.

either that, or we're both going to The Biggest Loser casting call in P.G. County next week.

^ I've never really known how to respond to female friends, coworkers etc. who do that, either--frequently lament how out-of-shape they are, seem truly down on themselves about it, but then never attempt to change either their eating or exercise habits (there are a few men who do this, too, but it's rare). It can get a bit annoying sometimes, because I wasn't thinking about the person's weight/appearance in the first place until she mentioned it, yet then I feel like it's a faux pas if I can't manage to say something "helpful" (and so far as I can tell there is nothing helpful). I don't know what their partners think.

I agree. I won't bash BEAL for saying it b/c I feel the same way and doesn't matter what sex the person is or what is the nature of our relationship.

I've gained some weight recently, not a ton and I'm still within a healthy/normal range, but it annoys me. I always do in the winter b/c I can't do any of the activities I like, and then usually slim down for the summer but I had a sinus infection for several months and we were busy and stressed buying the house (unfortunately I am one that will eat more when stressed, not less). I don't want to "let myself go" so I'm now working out more, eating better, and holding off on the soda. When I say to Phil "I feel so fat" it's not because I want him to turn around and say "you're not fat" but because I really FEEL fat. I've never cared all that much about appearance but I know when I don't watch my eating and work out I start to feel more sluggish, get down on myself easier, and then find it harder to motivate myself. If I complain about my weight or lack of energy I do appreciate help holding myself accountable rather than a spouse who would let me get out of control. I don't think I ever would, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom