5 Harvard Students answer questions on their Faith-who represented theirs the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who did the best job explaining and representing their Faith in this forum?

• Total voters
Do I disagree with them, yes. Scientologists and Muslims don't call themselves Christians though. And I don't see any Seventh Day Adventists picking fights here.

Many Orthodox Christian Groups similar to yours call, have called or have labeled 7th Day Adventists a a cult.

Mormons, on the other hand, do not call any Christian demoninations who believe in the divinity of Christ a cult, therein lies the difference between the LDS Church and certain Evangelicals.

<>

That one group of believers in Chirst understand His nature differently from another group of believers- shouldn't disqualify that group of believers by the other.

And that is the crux of the problem one poster cannot get thru his head.

When I look at Sunni and Shia Muslims, I know of their differences however: both groups are Muslim.

Even though one group may claim the other group is not a group of "true Muslims"-doesn't make it true.

<>

But diamond - that's just my point. And I'm going to try to say this as objectively as possible without making it personal: The Mormon Jesus is not the Jesus of Christianity. They have the same name, but they're very different. There's much more at stake here than just his nature. We're talking about his identity.

Christianity believes Christ is part of the Triune God - three in one. Mormonism doesn't. (yes, you use the term "trinity," but you believe they're three different gods. This would be an example of the twisting, or significantly altering, of essential Christian doctrine I was talking about.)
Christianity believes in one God. Mormonism believes in many gods and that its believers can reach that level.
Mormonism believes there is a Goddess mother and that God is married to said female god. Christianity does not.
Mormonism believes God is a man from another planet. Christianity does not.
Christianity does not believe Christ is Satan's spirit brother. Mormonism does.
Mormonism also claims that the Book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible and that good works are needed for salvation. Christianity objects to these positions.
This is just a handful of the differences between the two faiths.

So, let's again look at this objectively -- if the two faiths are so contradictory, how can they be the same? How can Mormons deny so much essential Christian doctrine -- including who Christ is -- and still be Christian? If that's OK, is it OK for me to deny essential Mormon doctrine and consider myself Mormon?

Mormons, on the other hand, do not call any Christian demoninations who believe in the divinity of Christ a cult, therein lies the difference between the LDS Church and certain Evangelicals.

<>

That's because the LDS church is not that old, relatively speaking, and it's the one that's added on with the Book of Mormon. Not the other way around. Again, the word cult isn't meant to be a slam, it's simply a definition. How would you say the Mormon church doesn't fit that definition?

But diamond - that's just my point.

how can they be the same? QUOTE]

Nonetheless, we still believe Christ to be the Son of God and Savior of the world and mankind, therefore with that fundemental belief and recognition of Christ's divinty, which is the same as most Christian faiths world wide, there is no way you can say Mormons are not Christians-by the broader sense of the word's meaning.

I've seen Evangelicals attack Jehovah Witnesses the same way-claiming they aren't "Christians" too and labeled them a "cult".

As I said before to you it's offensive.

What you need to understand is this:

We're not trying to be the same as you; you do not own the rights to the word Christian and since some non traditional Christian sects or faiths don't match up with yours-doesn't make them non Christian.

As many have patiently and painsakingly tried to point out to you-it's offensive.

<>

Can I save this for the next time you post something outrageous and horrible in a thread about marriage equality?

I've never said that gay people weren't or cannot be Christian, or call themselves Christian- nonetheless you've never have been afraid to speak your mind.

:)

<>

Nonetheless, we still believe Christ to be the Son of God and Savior of the world and mankind, therefore with that fundemental belief and recognition of Christ's divinty, which is the same as most Christian faiths world wide, there is no way you can say Mormons are not Christians-by the broader sense of that word's meaning.

I've seen Evangelicals attack Jehovah Witnesses too-claiming they aren't "Christians" and labeled them a cult.

As I said before to you it's offensive.

What you need to understand is this:

We're not trying to be the same as you; you do not own the rights to the word Christian and since some non traditional Christian sects or faiths don't match up with yours-doesn't make them non Christian.

As many have patiently and painsakingly tried to point out to you-it's offensive.

<>

Yes, but see, again, your version of Christ, your version of God and your version of salvation are not only different, but contradictory to Christianity. We're talking essential doctrine here. Not just differences in baptism practices, what hymns are played on Sundays and if we use grape juice or wine for communion. The essentials are different. So how can they be the same? If you're a Christian, am I a Mormon or LDS? It just not the same thing. And that's not an attack, and neither is the definition of cult. That's the very definition of cult from the dictionary:

"a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious," and spurious means "outwardly similar or corresponding to something without having its genuine qualities."

Mormonism is unorthodox and outwardly similar to Christanity, but it doesn't have its genuine qualities. That's not me, that's holding it up to Merriam-Webster.

You yourself even labeled the video for the Mormon girl as "the unorthodox Christian" on your intial post here. Is that offensive?

Mormonism is unorthodox and outwardly similar to Christanity, but it doesn't have its genuine qualities. That's not me, that's holding it up to Merriam-Webster.

I can find other dictionaries with different meanings of a bunch of different words.

Let's keep it simple instead of splitting hairs:

In looking up "Chrstian" I found this:

noun 7. a person who believes in Jesus Christ

Mormons believe in Christ, the name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we're Christians.

<>

I can find other dictionaries with different meanings of a bunch of different words.

Let's keep it simple instead of splitting hairs:

In looking up "Chrstian" I found this:

noun 7. a person who believes in Jesus Christ

Mormons believe in Christ, the name of the Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we're Christians.

<>

I get where you're coming from, but, once again, the Jesus of Mormonism is not the Jesus of Christianity. Let's put it this way: if there was a Christian dictionary and a Mormon dictionary, they would have different and even contradictory definitions of Jesus. Mormons worship a Jesus who is one of many gods and related to satan. Christians believe Jesus is God and not related to satan. I worship my Jesus, as described by the Bible. You worship yours as described by your dictionary, but they're not the same. And on top of it all, Mormonism claims both dictionaries are right despite the contradictions.

We could go around and around on this all night. I'm sorry if you're offended, but I can't appologize for the differences in the two faiths and the definitions they use, etc. It is what it is, even if you look at it objectively.

Anywho, I hope you have a good night and a great tomorrow. I'm off to bed.

Kevin

Yolland... honestly, the differences between Judaism and Christianity aren't as deep as those between Christianity and Mormonism.

Actually, this is incorrect, and I got to call you on it, along with other things-but I will get to those later.

Mormons have been commanded to build Temples, Jews already build and worship in Temples.

This vid touches on that by both Christians, Mormon Christians and Jews.

YouTube - Mormon Rituals and Ancient Temples - 1 of 5

<>

But diamond - that's just my point. And I'm going to try to say this as objectively as possible without making it personal: The Mormon Jesus is not the Jesus of Christianity. They have the same name, but they're very different. There's much more at stake here than just his nature. We're talking about his identity.

Christianity believes Christ is part of the Triune God - three in one. Mormonism doesn't. (yes, you use the term "trinity," but you believe they're three different gods. This would be an example of the twisting, or significantly altering, of essential Christian doctrine I was talking about.)
Christianity believes in one God. Mormonism believes in many gods and that its believers can reach that level.
Mormonism believes there is a Goddess mother and that God is married to said female god. Christianity does not.
Mormonism believes God is a man from another planet. Christianity does not.
Christianity does not believe Christ is Satan's spirit brother. Mormonism does.
Mormonism also claims that the Book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible and that good works are needed for salvation. Christianity objects to these positions.

So, let's again look at this objectively -- if the two faiths are so contradictory, how can they be the same? How can Mormons deny so much essential Christian doctrine -- including who Christ is -- and still be Christian? If that's OK, is it OK for me to deny essential Mormon doctrine and consider myself Mormon?

Your understanding of Chritianity is not the same but we agree on the most important aspects of who Chirst was and what He did, namely:

Most importantly-He is the Savior of the world.

He rose of the 3rd day and shewed Himself to at least 500 people in Jerusalem and neighboring communities as recorded in the New Testament.

He appeared in His resurrected state to Saul/Paul.

He will come again to reign over earth for 1000 years.

The Mormon Jesus is not the Jesus of Christianity

We believe that the Jesus you understand is a corrupted version that started 250 years after Christ was slain by Pilate and collaborators in His community.

To be objectively honest Kevin, and more accurate-you don't believe in the Restoration.

You don't believe in the countless visions, ministrations of angels, and orgin of the Book of Mormon as recorded by Joseph Smith and his associates-that's fine.

You cannot take a group of believers in Christ and claim they are not believers in Christ because they have supplemental data, and supplemental sources other than yours. You don't own that right-only Christ does.

Certain Evangicals tried to do it to the Catholic Church 50 years ago-they failed.

Perhaps in 50 years, I suspect many Evangicals will change their tune about Mormons being Christian or not-time will tell.

As far as the straw man arguments about satan once being the brother of Christ, but hasn't been since he was thrown out of heaven, or that evenutally mankind can eternally progress into something more than angels, a mother in heaven-these concepts aren't part of the normal curriculim nor are essentail for man's salvation. What they are, are restored concepts and truths that were once on the earth long ago, lost by man but returned by God to Joseph Smith. Again, they are not essentail to know for one's salvation, but some use it to try and distract people with fear tactics.

What we are taught in our churches and temples is the significance of Chirst and His atoning sacrifice, also who He is and how to become more like Him, and in that-no open and fair minded person can say 'Mormons are not Christian'. What they can say is 'Mormons are not the same type of Christians as most.' That would be more honest.

<>

Actually, quite a few branches of Christianity teach that good works are indeed needed for salvation. Including the largest branch. Also,

The Westminster Confession is representative of the historical Protestant doctrine of Justification:

Faith, thus receiving and resting on Christ and his righteousness, is the alone instrument of justification: yet is it not alone in the person justified, but is ever accompanied with all other saving graces, and is no dead faith, but worketh by love.

Not that I really give a shit, but there seems to be a slight double standard here on taking Diamond to task on his alleged heresy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom