45% Of Students Don't Learn Much In College

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're all talking about me.

I'm a sophomore right now. I'm a communications major. I'm a business minor. I have about a 3.7 GPA. By the time I graduate, the total cost will be a little over $100,000. I'll still owe most of it.

I have no idea if I'll be able to get a job. Let's hope so.

I'm a sophomore right now. I'm a communications major. I'm a business minor. I have about a 3.7 GPA. By the time I graduate, the total cost will be a little over $100,000. I'll still owe most of it.

Could be worse, you could have been spending around 100k on a Journalism degree in this transitional, turbulent media climate :lol:

As there is a need for shorter degrees that deliver real skills at a reasonable cost
We already have these - vocational schools, and some very decent ones in Canada and the U.S, too. Unfortunately I think society looks down on vocational education or apprenticeships.

I think a reckoning in university eudcation is coming eventually in the West, and maybe our values will shift from paying for externalities like big, green campuses and musty, century-old buildings with tuition money.

We have no choice as a society but to change, eventually, because resourcefulness and innovation from the developing world will force us to find a better way to educate our kids without breaking the bank. We fight about all this stupid shit like Creationism and re-writing history textbooks, which distracts us from the fact that with the widening income gap between rich and poor, intellectual capital is becoming more and more out of reach for many.

We have no choice as a society but to change, eventually, because resourcefulness and innovation from the developing world will force us to find a better way to educate our kids without breaking the bank. We fight about all this stupid shit like Creationism and re-writing history textbooks, which distracts us

Yep.

intellectual capital is becoming more and more out of reach for many.

Nope. What used to be the exclusive domain of university libraries and classrooms is now at our fingertips. That is, for those so inclined and who do not intend to seek permission from credentialing bureaucrats.

It's a little frustrating to not have information such as which colleges and majors we're talking about, but, that is a built-in limitation of the CLA. The most useful indicator supplied may be the number of students who'd written a 20+ page paper or read >40 pages per week for a course. In my field (poli sci), there was a lot of curriculum overhaul back in the 1990s in response to concerns about how easy it was in many poli sci departments for majors to get all the way through without ever writing a research paper or engaging in seminar discussion/group work (as a component of the grade). Particularly since poli sci is a popular major for aspiring lawyers, who must be able to write well and to critically analyze arguments, this was a big problem. Of course, those overhauls will have had sharply varying degress of success, and that's only looking at one field.

As the OP article points out, particularly for underclassmen, too many large, lecture-based courses undoubtedly contribute to the problem as well. I do have the students in my larger 200-levels (which are around 200 students, give or take) write a few ~5-10 page papers during the semester, including face-to-face meetings with each student to discuss revisions and so forth, but it truly is a marathon to fit all that in, and I couldn't do it without multiple TAs working with me on the grading (I do still review the papers they've graded after they've graded them, so it's professional development for them as well). And no one should be surprised that part-time untenured faculty (more than 50% of all faculty nationwide now) are more likely to cut corners on reading and writing assignments and to inflate grades; they're typically working multiple teaching jobs, carrying large class loads for peanuts, and nervously looking ahead to the next time their contract comes up for review, so all told they've probably got less breathing room for labor-intensive teaching, even though they're usually free from publishing and committee work requirements. As for professors who care more about their research than their students, well, when you make that a job requirement, you're gonna attract a lot of that type of person.
What used to be the exclusive domain of university libraries and classrooms is now at our fingertips. That is, for those so inclined and who do not intend to seek permission from credentialing bureaucrats.
The Gen-X infogeek in me says Right On, but the teacher in me just laughs bleakly. Access isn't educational by itself; you still have to actually read, critically analyze, and synthesize original responses to what you've "accessed." And I don't know any academics (in the humanities and social sciences, anyway) who WOULDN'T say those skills are on the decline. Very few people have the self-discipline and innate intellectual rigor to voluntarily subject themselves to the kinds of 'pressure' situations needed to build up high-level research skills--not the least of which is ensuring quality and breadth of information.

Last edited:
As the OP article points out, particularly for underclassmen, too many large, lecture-based courses undoubtedly contribute to the problem as well. I do have the students in my larger 200-levels (which are around 200 students, give or take) write a few ~5-10 page papers during the semester, including face-to-face meetings with each student to discuss revisions and so forth, but it truly is a marathon to fit all that in, and I couldn't do it without multiple TAs working with me on the grading (I do still review the papers they've graded after they've graded them, so it's professional development for them as well). And no one should be surprised that part-time untenured faculty (more than 50% of all faculty nationwide now) are more likely to cut corners on reading and writing assignments and to inflate grades; they're typically working multiple teaching jobs, carrying large class loads for peanuts, and nervously looking ahead to the next time their contract comes up for review, so all told they've probably got less breathing room for labor-intensive teaching, even though they're usually free from publishing and committee work requirements. As for professors who care more about their research than their students, well, when you make that a job requirement, you're gonna attract a lot of that type of person.

Thank you for describing what the bubble looks like on the inside. :wink:

The Gen-X infogeek in me says Right On, but the teacher in me just laughs bleakly. Access isn't educational by itself; you still have to actually read, critically analyze, and synthesize original responses to what you've "accessed." And I don't know any academics (in the humanities and social sciences, anyway) who WOULDN'T say those skills are on the decline. Very few people have the self-discipline and innate intellectual rigor to voluntarily subject themselves to the kinds of 'pressure' situations needed to build up high-level research skills--not the least of which is ensuring quality and breadth of information.

I don't disagree. I'm not suggesting access to information by itself is educational to the degree that we value higher learning. But bricks and mortar are no longer as necessary in the traditional sense.

So if/when the bubble bursts and many actual bricks and mortar institutions go down, distance learning may evolve and increase in quality and become more of the norm as a departure from the mail-it-in/cereal-box-degree reputation it has now.

Nope. What used to be the exclusive domain of university libraries and classrooms is now at our fingertips. That is, for those so inclined and who do not intend to seek permission from credentialing bureaucrats.
Although it's nice to think of it like that, the ability to look up a piece of information instantly does not equal critical thinking or long-term memory retention.

The availability of information has indeed been democratized, but I think university still provides critical reasoning skillz the Google ain't so hot at dishing out alone.

45% of students dont learn much in college because they're moronic.

It's so incredibly amazing... in middle school I understood why they were.

In high school I understood why they were there, but I didnt understand why they were there in my class.

In college... it just doesn't make any sense. Why are they still here!!?

It's interesting that you both assumed that the library and classroom at our fingertips comment referred solely to access to information.

Think interactive video technology and virtual classrooms.

Ouch that sucks. That's the one beauty about Florida, the state school system is pretty awesome. I'm a freshman CS major, college is pretty expenseless here if you abide by state qualifications for scholarships. It's pretty much just the cost of living that you pay for.

I took "credentialing bureaucrats" to suggest you were talking about autodidacticism, not distance learning. I've taught (small) distance-learning courses before, in fact I'm doing one right now. It has its place, but the technology isn't really all there yet and the dropout rates are discouragingly high; another decade will give a clearer sense what the future holds, I think. The workplace hasn't really caught up to the implicit model of learning yet, either--few companies overall have much use for graduates whose teamwork skills are solely of the electronic variety. But it's still a classroom; I'm a teacher and mentor to students, not a database at some anonymous consumer's "fingertips." I know that's not how you meant it, but I dislike those kinds of metaphors intensely.

Last edited:
The education in neo-liberal economies is largely a vehicle for producing brain-washed automatons. If it is true that 45% of students don't learn much in college, then that is probably precisely as intended.

Tidying the collar of my Mao suit right now before dashing off to gloat about Marx to another faceless hallful of brainwashed automatons.

I took "credentialing bureaucrats" to suggest you were talking about autodidacticism, not distance learning. I've taught (small) distance-learning courses before, in fact I'm doing one right now. It has its place, but the technology isn't really all there yet and the dropout rates are discouragingly high; another decade will give a clearer sense what the future holds, I think. The workplace hasn't really caught up to the implicit model of learning yet, either--few companies overall have much use for graduates whose teamwork skills are solely of the electronic variety. But it's still a classroom; I'm a teacher and mentor to students, not a database at some anonymous consumer's "fingertips." I know that's not how you meant it, but I dislike those kinds of metaphors intensely.

Ha, I was thinking that the credentialing bureaucrats are the people in companies like Trader Joe's who make ridiculous candidate criteria for the job at hand.

Large companies have started to master the integration of technology for learning and development, but not for effective remote teamwork. And they rely heavily on people who are strongly self-directed. As discretionary budgets continue to get squeezed (i.e. travel), it will be adapt or die.

There will always be a place for teachers and mentors. It's the delivery methods that will evolve as market demand changes.

Could be worse, you could have been spending around 100k on a Journalism degree in this transitional, turbulent media climate :lol:

That's the thing that scares me. I want to major in things related to journalism/writing in general, and yet we all know how topsy-turvy that occupation is. But it's something I really love to do and really want to make a career in, so something I'll have to deal with, I guess.

I think a reckoning in university eudcation is coming eventually in the West, and maybe our values will shift from paying for externalities like big, green campuses and musty, century-old buildings with tuition money.

We have no choice as a society but to change, eventually, because resourcefulness and innovation from the developing world will force us to find a better way to educate our kids without breaking the bank. We fight about all this stupid shit like Creationism and re-writing history textbooks, which distracts us from the fact that with the widening income gap between rich and poor, intellectual capital is becoming more and more out of reach for many.

Fully agreed with you on this. Yes.

I like the suggestions/posts Headache made in this thread, pretty much hit the nail on the head. Though I also agree with those who talked about well-rounded education as well, not just because I want to expand my knowledge on all sorts of topics, but also because, given that my dream career is one that can be shaky and uncertain, it'd be nice to find something else out there that I could develop an interest in and perhaps have a more stable job in, and work in to help take care of my everyday financial situations while I'm pushing on with the whole writing thing.

Basically the biggest problem for me is always going to be with the costs. I'll go to school for as long as I need to go and take the classes I need to take for the work I want to do, that part of it all actually doesn't bother me one bit. I just don't want to be in massive debt before I even finish college. I'm sick to death of the word "debt", and think it's insane that people have to pay an arm and a leg just to get an education.

Angela

New York Times, July 15
We’ve written before about some of the work of Stuart Rojstaczer and Christopher Healy, grade inflation chroniclers extraordinaire. They have put together a new, comprehensive study of college grading over the decades, and let me tell you, it is a doozy. The researchers collected historical data on letter grades awarded by more than 200 four-year colleges and universities. Their analysis (published in the Teachers College Record) confirm that the share of A grades awarded has skyrocketed over the years. Take a look at the red line in the chart below, which refers to the share of grades given that are A’s:

gradesyear.jpg

Most recently, about 43% of all letter grades given were A’s, an increase of 28 percentage points since 1960 and 12 percentage points since 1988. The distribution of B’s has stayed relatively constant; the growing share of A’s instead comes at the expense of a shrinking share of C’s, D’s and F’s. In fact, only about 10% of grades awarded are D’s and F’s.

As we have written before, private colleges and universities are by far the biggest offenders on grade inflation, even when you compare private schools to equally selective public schools. Here’s another chart showing the grading curves for public versus private schools in the years 1960, 1980 and 2007:

gradesprivpub.jpg

As you can see, public and private school grading curves started out as relatively similar, and gradually pulled further apart. Both types of institutions made their curves easier over time, but private schools made their grades much easier. By the end of the last decade, A’s and B’s represented 73% of all grades awarded at public schools, and 86% of all grades awarded at private schools, according to the database compiled by Mr. Rojstaczer and Mr. Healy. (Mr. Rojstaczer is a former Duke geophysics professor, and Mr. Healy is a computer science professor at Furman University.) Southern schools have also been less generous with their grading than institutions in other geographic regions, and schools that focus on science and engineering tend to be stingier with their A’s than liberal arts schools of equal selectivity.

What accounts for the higher GPA’s over the last few decades? The authors don’t attribute steep grade inflation to higher-quality or harder-working students. In fact, one recent study found that students spend significantly less time studying today than they did in the past. Rather, the researchers argue that grade inflation began picking in the 1960s and 1970s probably because professors were reluctant to give students D’s and F’s. After all, poor grades could land young men in Vietnam. They then attribute the rapid rise in grade inflation in the last couple of decades to a more “consumer-based approach” to education, which they say “has created both external and internal incentives for the faculty to grade more generously.” More generous grading can produce better instructor reviews, for example, and can help students be more competitive candidates for graduate schools and the job market. The authors argue that grading standards may become even looser in the coming years, making it increasingly more difficult for graduate schools and employers to distinguish between excellent, good and mediocre students.

More disturbing, they argue, are the potential effects on educational outcomes. “When college students perceive that the average grade in a class will be an A, they do not try to excel,” they write. “It is likely that the decline in student study hours, student engagement, and literacy are partly the result of diminished academic expectations.”

^Wow.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised though. I'm working on my master's now and while my work has been far from poor, I probably wouldn't have given myself the grades I've been given--I routinely get better grades than I expect. The bar does strike me a little low sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom