45% Of Students Don't Learn Much In College - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #46
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:41 AM
YouTube - So You Want to Get a Ph.D. in Political Science

Really only accurate for the Ivies on the research biases, still, comedy gold for veterans.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:41 PM
I am so brainwashed.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Tidying the collar of my Mao suit right now before dashing off to gloat about Marx to another faceless hallful of brainwashed automatons.

i miss college.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I took "credentialing bureaucrats" to suggest you were talking about autodidacticism, not distance learning. I've taught (small) distance-learning courses before, in fact I'm doing one right now. It has its place, but the technology isn't really all there yet and the dropout rates are discouragingly high; another decade will give a clearer sense what the future holds, I think. The workplace hasn't really caught up to the implicit model of learning yet, either--few companies overall have much use for graduates whose teamwork skills are solely of the electronic variety. But it's still a classroom; I'm a teacher and mentor to students, not a database at some anonymous consumer's "fingertips." I know that's not how you meant it, but I dislike those kinds of metaphors intensely.
Ha, I was thinking that the credentialing bureaucrats are the people in companies like Trader Joe's who make ridiculous candidate criteria for the job at hand.

Large companies have started to master the integration of technology for learning and development, but not for effective remote teamwork. And they rely heavily on people who are strongly self-directed. As discretionary budgets continue to get squeezed (i.e. travel), it will be adapt or die.

There will always be a place for teachers and mentors. It's the delivery methods that will evolve as market demand changes.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i miss college.

Me too.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Could be worse, you could have been spending around 100k on a Journalism degree in this transitional, turbulent media climate
That's the thing that scares me. I want to major in things related to journalism/writing in general, and yet we all know how topsy-turvy that occupation is. But it's something I really love to do and really want to make a career in, so something I'll have to deal with, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
I think a reckoning in university eudcation is coming eventually in the West, and maybe our values will shift from paying for externalities like big, green campuses and musty, century-old buildings with tuition money.

We have no choice as a society but to change, eventually, because resourcefulness and innovation from the developing world will force us to find a better way to educate our kids without breaking the bank. We fight about all this stupid shit like Creationism and re-writing history textbooks, which distracts us from the fact that with the widening income gap between rich and poor, intellectual capital is becoming more and more out of reach for many.
Fully agreed with you on this. Yes.

I like the suggestions/posts Headache made in this thread, pretty much hit the nail on the head. Though I also agree with those who talked about well-rounded education as well, not just because I want to expand my knowledge on all sorts of topics, but also because, given that my dream career is one that can be shaky and uncertain, it'd be nice to find something else out there that I could develop an interest in and perhaps have a more stable job in, and work in to help take care of my everyday financial situations while I'm pushing on with the whole writing thing.

Basically the biggest problem for me is always going to be with the costs. I'll go to school for as long as I need to go and take the classes I need to take for the work I want to do, that part of it all actually doesn't bother me one bit. I just don't want to be in massive debt before I even finish college. I'm sick to death of the word "debt", and think it's insane that people have to pay an arm and a leg just to get an education.

Angela
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #52
War Child

it's like a return to _____ historical era... where education is poor and sparse, unlike the latter half of the 20th Century in the West.

On another note, since it hasn't been posted yet:

YouTube - Is getting a higher education worth the debt?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #53
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:41 AM
New York Times, July 15
Quote:
We’ve written before about some of the work of Stuart Rojstaczer and Christopher Healy, grade inflation chroniclers extraordinaire. They have put together a new, comprehensive study of college grading over the decades, and let me tell you, it is a doozy. The researchers collected historical data on letter grades awarded by more than 200 four-year colleges and universities. Their analysis (published in the Teachers College Record) confirm that the share of A grades awarded has skyrocketed over the years. Take a look at the red line in the chart below, which refers to the share of grades given that are A’s:
Most recently, about 43% of all letter grades given were A’s, an increase of 28 percentage points since 1960 and 12 percentage points since 1988. The distribution of B’s has stayed relatively constant; the growing share of A’s instead comes at the expense of a shrinking share of C’s, D’s and F’s. In fact, only about 10% of grades awarded are D’s and F’s.

As we have written before, private colleges and universities are by far the biggest offenders on grade inflation, even when you compare private schools to equally selective public schools. Here’s another chart showing the grading curves for public versus private schools in the years 1960, 1980 and 2007:
As you can see, public and private school grading curves started out as relatively similar, and gradually pulled further apart. Both types of institutions made their curves easier over time, but private schools made their grades much easier. By the end of the last decade, A’s and B’s represented 73% of all grades awarded at public schools, and 86% of all grades awarded at private schools, according to the database compiled by Mr. Rojstaczer and Mr. Healy. (Mr. Rojstaczer is a former Duke geophysics professor, and Mr. Healy is a computer science professor at Furman University.) Southern schools have also been less generous with their grading than institutions in other geographic regions, and schools that focus on science and engineering tend to be stingier with their A’s than liberal arts schools of equal selectivity.

What accounts for the higher GPA’s over the last few decades? The authors don’t attribute steep grade inflation to higher-quality or harder-working students. In fact, one recent study found that students spend significantly less time studying today than they did in the past. Rather, the researchers argue that grade inflation began picking in the 1960s and 1970s probably because professors were reluctant to give students D’s and F’s. After all, poor grades could land young men in Vietnam. They then attribute the rapid rise in grade inflation in the last couple of decades to a more “consumer-based approach” to education, which they say “has created both external and internal incentives for the faculty to grade more generously.” More generous grading can produce better instructor reviews, for example, and can help students be more competitive candidates for graduate schools and the job market. The authors argue that grading standards may become even looser in the coming years, making it increasingly more difficult for graduate schools and employers to distinguish between excellent, good and mediocre students.

More disturbing, they argue, are the potential effects on educational outcomes. “When college students perceive that the average grade in a class will be an A, they do not try to excel,” they write. “It is likely that the decline in student study hours, student engagement, and literacy are partly the result of diminished academic expectations.”

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Wow.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised though. I'm working on my master's now and while my work has been far from poor, I probably wouldn't have given myself the grades I've been given--I routinely get better grades than I expect. The bar does strike me a little low sometimes.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

College costs increase so much every year that it appears more and more unjust to try to grade severely.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 PM
if fees go up anymore, everyone should just get an automatic A.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #57
War Child

What is %? I didn't learn that in college
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 PM
you don't have to curse
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #59
War Child

lol, yeah. That IS one thing I learnt in college