3 cheers for the second amendment.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I aplogize for the above post - I was a bit angry and frustrated and needed to let off steam.
I would have deleted/edited it - but for some reason was unable to do so.

In any case, I apologize if I offended anyone.

i hear you. i agree with you.

that boy was just exercising his constitutional rights. all up in that other kid's face. boo-yah!

A gun is just a tool, the same thing would have happen if the boy was playing with a screwdriver.

Now that I got that out of my system.

It's a tragically sad story, one that happens far too often. Irresponsible gun owners, bad parents, a really screwed up gun culture.

1. where where the parents when all this shit was going on? if they werent home, what kind of parents leave a 9 and 2 y/o home alone?

2. what kind of parent leaves a loaded gun where a 9 y/o could get it?

let's face it, there are a LOT of stupid people in this country. im pro-gun ownership and all, but you know, the more i think about it the more i wonder if all these stupid people should really have guns.

i say 3 cheers for giving all the smart people the guns! :happy:

Seems like a thread designed purely to rile the other side up and get into another long winded back and forth that we've seen 100 times before. good times

i just found this out seconds ago.

apparently this morning there was a shootout on one of the popular tourist beaches here on st thomas. there was a funeral going on at the cemetary next to it. a man attending the funeral was killed as well as a 14 y/o tourist girl. this will get ugly :uhoh:

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2010/07/12/coki-point-shootout-leaves-two-dead

this place is getting out of hand. i've been snapped awake 2 nights this last week by nearby gunfire. and im not talking about 1 or 2 shots, im talking MAGAZINES, SHOOTING EMPTY THEN RELOADING FOR MORE.

funny we have probably the strictest gun control in the US, but there are so many illegal guns here that the laws dont mean shit except keeping law-abiding people from being able to protect themselves from these thugs.

even I, a fed, have to jump through so many hoops to bring a non duty firearm down here it's pathetic. and going through the police department to do all this shit is asking for trouble, since they are EXTREMELY corrupt.

The kinds of parents who are allowed to purchase guns.

OK I'm all for stricter gun laws but you seriously cannot make assumptions about how parents raise their kids based on gun ownership. Is everyone that doesn't own a gun automatically a contender for world's best parent? My dad has always owned guns, and growing up I never even knew where they were, let alone how to load or use one (nor did I want to). To this day I don't know where they were stored, only that it must've somewhere safe because my mom is even more anti-gun than I am and she put up with the hunting rifles.

Personally I think there needs to be much more strict rules for who can own guns, how they are purchased, how they are stored, and what types of guns are available.

Me, I just "pack" a loaded German shepherd dog. :D

My father had many guns, I never touched them or wanted anything to do with them. Many times maybe they weren't even locked up-who knows, I have no way of knowing. It was just a given that we were not to have anything to do with them. My brothers learned how to shoot but that was at gun clubs under supervision, the guns were never touched at home. I have held a gun but I've never fired one-it scares me too much.

OK I'm all for stricter gun laws but you seriously cannot make assumptions about how parents raise their kids based on gun ownership. Is everyone that doesn't own a gun automatically a contender for world's best parent? My dad has always owned guns, and growing up I never even knew where they were, let alone how to load or use one (nor did I want to). To this day I don't know where they were stored, only that it must've somewhere safe because my mom is even more anti-gun than I am and she put up with the hunting rifles.

Personally I think there needs to be much more strict rules for who can own guns, how they are purchased, how they are stored, and what types of guns are available.

Me, I just "pack" a loaded German shepherd dog. :D
That wasn't my point. My point was that any type of parent anywhere can buy a gun because of the second amendment.

In that case, I agree. It needs to be more regulated. Sometimes I think it's harder for me to get served a margarita at a family restaurant than for my brother to walk into a sports shop and buy a rifle. But I'm not sure that simply being a parent is a disqualifying factor.

i just found this out seconds ago.

apparently this morning there was a shootout on one of the popular tourist beaches here on st thomas. there was a funeral going on at the cemetary next to it. a man attending the funeral was killed as well as a 14 y/o tourist girl. this will get ugly :uhoh:

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2010/07/12/coki-point-shootout-leaves-two-dead

this place is getting out of hand. i've been snapped awake 2 nights this last week by nearby gunfire. and im not talking about 1 or 2 shots, im talking MAGAZINES, SHOOTING EMPTY THEN RELOADING FOR MORE.

funny we have probably the strictest gun control in the US, but there are so many illegal guns here that the laws dont mean shit except keeping law-abiding people from being able to protect themselves from these thugs.

even I, a fed, have to jump through so many hoops to bring a non duty firearm down here it's pathetic. and going through the police department to do all this shit is asking for trouble, since they are EXTREMELY corrupt.

The gun control laws in the Northern Marianas Islands (also a U.S. territory like the VI) where I lived for 11 years were probably as strict as yours. However we never have had a problem gun violence or widespread illegal weapons. I'm not sure what the difference is between the NMI and the VI, but the whole armed criminals/defenseless law abiders thing just never materialized there.

(Incidentally, I used to live in the VI too, when I was a kid. St. Croix. I never desired to live on St. Thomas, though St. John looked much nicer than St. Croix.)

Was just at a friend's house this weekend. He showed me his 10 guns -- 9 under lock and key in his garage, 1 in a locked safe by his bed. He taught me two rules he lives by:

1. Assume every gun is loaded.

2. Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

Helpful tips, but they reminded me why I don't yet own one.

(Incidentally, I used to live in the VI too, when I was a kid. St. Croix. I never desired to live on St. Thomas, though St. John looked much nicer than St. Croix.)

i'll be in the USVI later in the year -- St. John is amazing.

awful news about that shooting. i decided not to forward that on to my family.

i'll be in the USVI later in the year -- St. John is amazing.

I always wondered if my jealousy of St. John was simply a case of the grass being greener, but I guess not. :(

It didn't help that we always went to the crappiest beach on St. Croix--the gloomily named Gallows Bay.

St. Croix is beautiful to though and maybe a little less commercial (and I would hope less crime-ridden than St. Thomas).

to stray even further off topic, some StJ eye candy:

StJohn-Trunk-BayTB.jpg

I'd follow that with some Saipan eye candy in retort but. . .

I don't live there any more and nothing in Columbus, Ohio, sadly, can compete with that.

That was the life, man. I'm telling you.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

~Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

~Thomas Jefferson

Everything the founding fathers said is perfectly applicable today. Just the same as the Bible. I better not catch anyone eating shellfish.

Everything the founding fathers said is perfectly applicable today.

Huh. Second time in two days that's been said here in FYM. Maybe we should just hit the reset button on the whole thing. Because, you know, nothing the Founding Fathers said is applicable today. Except for the stuff we agree with.

And for the record -- the Founding Fathers didn't foresee assault weapons in the hands of gang bangers, a license to own and operate a gun is not the same thing as barring gun ownership, and neither is a background check.

come on, every time they introduce a bill in congress today
the biggest part of the discussion and debate is,

"We must consider how this law will affect the everyday lives of the future citizens 250 years in the future, all 1.2 billion of them, or however many little bastards we squirt out."

Back
Top Bottom