2M Michigan lottery winner still receiving food stamps... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:38 PM
Amanda Clayton Dead: Lottery Winner Who Used Food Stamps Died Of Possible Drug Overdose

ECORSE, Mich. -- Police say a Detroit-area woman who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize has died of a possible drug overdose.

Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed that 25-year-old Amanda Clayton was found dead about 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in the community southwest of Detroit.
Another reason I call state lotteries the tax on stupidity.

INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:38 PM
Yes there are plenty of examples of people who win the lottery who end up in dire circumstances, or dead. They just aren't equipped to handle having all that money, and they don't go in with the right attitude. Don't get the proper advice. Have preexisting issues that money can never solve.

If I won the lottery I'd buy myself a nice house (somewhere with no winter) and do some traveling. Other than that I don't need or want anything. I would probably still use coupons and try to get the best deal and refuse to pay full price. That's who I am and the money wouldn't change that. I would just have freedom, and that would be priceless to me. I'd be so afraid of losing it that I'd be as careful as possible.

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:38 PM
DH and I had this conversation recently and I fully admitted if we won the big lottery I'd quit my job, probably never work a day again but travel, volunteer, train more dogs, etc. You bet we'd upgrade the house and car, pay off the student loans, I'd pay off my parent's land contract and my sibs' student loans.... There's a lot we could do that would still keep us in the upper-middle-class bracket and have plenty leftover for future family and investments. I would love to learn more about investing, not just to make piles of money but that kind of stuff intrigues me...something that involves math but also the element of risk. My step-grandpa started an investment club when he was 18, he worked blue-collar day labor jobs all his life but died a millionaire (before I got the chance to learn from him about investing).
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:08 AM
I'd like to say that if I won the lottery I'd go live on a mountain somewhere with a hundred cats, but for all I know it'd probably just all go up my nose in a blaze of food stamps glory. It's something I can't even comprehend.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:38 PM
If I won the lottery I'd get myself a nice little place to live. Nothing fancy, just a nice comfortable little home, or maybe an apartment or something. And I'd get my mom a place, too-she doesn't want much, she's talked about wanting a simple one story house. All she really wants is a place where she can put a washer and dryer in the house (we don't have one in our apartment, so we have to go to the laundromat once a week). And then I'd get my mom a more up to date car, one that doesn't look like it'll fall apart on her in a few months' time, with handles on both doors and everything. Again, she's not looking for a BMW or whatever, a little two door car with a CD player in it as her big luxury is all she's asking for.

I'd go to the doctor and dentist, finally, and would be able to do that on a regular basis, and I'd also support charities and other things of that sort-my mom's talked about how, if she won the lottery, she'd like to start up a thing that helps low-income families with rent and heat and other bills, so that they don't have that burden on their heads. She's also got a friend who works with animals, and she'd like to help that friend start up her own vet clinic if she had that kind of money. I like those ideas, and would like to do similar things like that.

Then for splurges I'd take trips to a couple countries I always wanted to visit, and then I'd probably just spend some money on CDs or movies or books I really wanted. And then I'd put some in the bank and save it away.

I'd also probably still work, because I'd be too paranoid that I'd wake up one day and find out it was all a mistake or a dream or something and the money got taken away for some reason . Some people do abuse their lottery wins, yes, that lady being a notable one. But honestly, if my family won that kind of money, it truly would be such a help to us. We're not asking for much, we just want to be able to take care of all our necessities easily first and foremost, whatever we wanted would come later. I do think it's sad people often have to resort to that because other means of making money aren't working out for them, but if it helps them out in good ways, I don't see the problem.

Also, I am sorry to hear of that woman's death.
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:38 AM
I'd sit here, and do... nothing.
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
Local Time: 06:38 AM
I would just never leave Amoeba Hollywood.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'd do what I always wanted to do: backpack around the world, buy a cottage in Ireland in County Kerry near the coast, divide the remaining into threes - money for my future children's college tuition, my life savings since Social Security is supposed to go bankrupt when I get older, and the rest to worthy charities like Doctors Without Borders
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
This is why I'm perfectly willing to give a bum begging for change some money. Yes, I know it's going toward drugs or booze. But maybe it will be the hit that kills him.

IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote