2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extremely disappointed with this whole election. It is a disgrace that we no longer have a media that presents the news in an unbiased manner. It is a disgrace that Donald Trump is the Republican nominee. It is a disgrace that Hillary is the Democratic nominee. It is disappointing that I have more accurate news from #Anonymous than from our own media. It is a disgrace that in a year with all of the issues - immigration, common core, police and black lives in peril, debt, poverty, the insanely high prices of college, individual debt, housing affordability........... This is what we are left with ...... TOPICS THAT GIVE THE MEDIA RATINGS...... nothing more........ I am thankful to be on the down slope of my life, because this place is going straight down the drain like the Democratic Mobile dumped it yesterday.

AS for FYM..... how many people with conservative ideas left..... and why? Maybe the forum is reflective of society, nobody really enjoys the debate and everyone believes they have the answer so why engage. Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Newt Gignrich were successful because despite their differences, they were able to find common ground. Maybe its more fun to hang with people who are of like mind?

Anyway - I am voting Gary Johnson. I don't agree with everything he stands for, but he does seem to have some integrity. Bill Weld was a good Republican in Massachusetts, but the national party ran him out for not being conservative enough. Anyways.....back into my box.:reject:
You and I have not crossed paths but I know from conversations with others here that you are a respected member of the forum from way back. I mean you no ill will.

That said, Gary Johnson is a fucking moron who has zero intellectual curiosity and horrendous understanding of practically any of the responsibilities of the Oval Office, and voting for him is nearly as reckless and irresponsible as voting for Donald Trump.

Trump is not sniffing and is surprisingly somewhat coherent. Hillary has to look down at her notes for every question, but is giving better answers.

I wish Hillary had asked the moderator to translate whatever gibberish Trump just answered on Syria. It just doesn't make sense.

Trump has absolutely no self-control whatsoever. He's proven that over and over and over again. Any attempts to stay calm and on topic last, like, a minute, at best with him.

Also, can someone explain to him how the internet works? 'Cause he keeps saying that all these examples of him mocking and insulting various people aren't true, even though we have it all on record. We have video evidence. We can go to his Twitter feed and find exactly what he's said about various people. Own up to the shit you said, dude, for cripes' sakes.

Last edited:
That "what a nasty woman" interjection is sure to get some traction.

I thought Trump was doing alright for a bit, but he went all the way off the rails by the end. It got out of hand.

I thought Trump was doing alright for a bit, but he went all the way off the rails by the end. It got out of hand.

She was so good getting under his skin. Not that it's that hard. The Emmy line was great.

Trump had his way with the clown pussy posse during the Republican debates. Now he's 0 for 3 on the national stage. It speaks volumes about the current Republican Party.

Gawd I hope they learn this time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not entirely sure Trumpists understand the damage that his refusal to accept the results does to the country and perceptions abroad.

Can't wait for how this will play out the next time the US is involved in monitoring an election somewhere.

Tactical voters in Utah might want to vote for Evan McMullin now that he has a way better chance of taking the state instead of Clinton...either way, it's just a chance to humiliate Trump even more as it won't really have an effect on the electoral outcome.

Would not shock me if this guy announcing and winning Utah in less than a three month span leads to him contending for the Republican nomination in 2020. I mean, he technically did better than any of the primary contenders other than Trump.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure Trumpists understand the damage that his refusal to accept the results does to the country and perceptions abroad.

I wasn't aware that the election had already happened, guess I must have missed that!

Have you asked anyone 'abroad' for their views, as a matter of interest?

I am extremely disappointed with this whole election. It is a disgrace that we no longer have a media that presents the news in an unbiased manner. It is a disgrace that Donald Trump is the Republican nominee. It is a disgrace that Hillary is the Democratic nominee. It is disappointing that I have more accurate news from #Anonymous than from our own media. It is a disgrace that in a year with all of the issues - immigration, common core, police and black lives in peril, debt, poverty, the insanely high prices of college, individual debt, housing affordability........... This is what we are left with ...... TOPICS THAT GIVE THE MEDIA RATINGS...... nothing more........ I am thankful to be on the down slope of my life, because this place is going straight down the drain like the Democratic Mobile dumped it yesterday.

AS for FYM..... how many people with conservative ideas left..... and why? Maybe the forum is reflective of society, nobody really enjoys the debate and everyone believes they have the answer so why engage. Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Newt Gignrich were successful because despite their differences, they were able to find common ground. Maybe its more fun to hang with people who are of like mind?

Anyway - I am voting Gary Johnson. I don't agree with everything he stands for, but he does seem to have some integrity. Bill Weld was a good Republican in Massachusetts, but the national party ran him out for not being conservative enough. Anyways.....back into my box.:reject:

Thank you. You speak for many. :up:

Coming back to this post - I am bothered by the fact that, in the first part, you are seemingly trying to make an equivalency between Trump and Hillary by saying that it is a disgrace that they're both the nominees. There is no equivalency.

Trump is a laughingstock on the global stage - the very notion of being an 'American' having taken a hit because we made this guy the nominee of one of our major parties - a pathological narcissist, who is dangerously uninformed about foreign affairs, is insistent on pushing a strongman, authoritarian style of 'leadership', has for over a year fanned the flames of racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, paranoia, panic, and general fear in his supporters, and is now openly threatening to not accept the results of the election if he loses. He is such a political poison that large swaths of elected officials in his own party either support him in the least full-throat-ed way possible, don't support him at all, or are actively campaigning against him.

Hillary has her own issues to be sure, and it's not like I agree with her on everything, but they simply don't compare to what she's running against, and I simply cannot use the word 'disgrace' to describe the act of having nominated someone as intelligent, informed, competent, qualified, experienced, and prepared as Hillary for President. To try to make any equivalency is frankly a huge insult to her. IMHO.

He is such a political poison that large swaths of elected officials in his own party either support him in the least full-throat-ed way possible, don't support him at all, or are actively campaigning against him.

US Democrats/liberals can't have it both ways.

In the one hand we are invited to believe:

(1) GOP = terribly bad peeps

AND, on the other hand, also

(2) Because Trump is criticised by some GOP'rs, THEN that means that Trump must be dreadful.

There seems to be a bit of a logical failure here, wouldn't you have thought? You seem to be suggesting that conservatives are terrible if they vote for Trump, but that they're lovely people when they criticise Trump.

Also, as a matter of interest can you explain why it is that you think that you have the right to speak for the 'global stage' (whatever the 'global stage' even means)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom