2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it's not the answer but it's pretty disturbing watching liberals on twitter fundraising to rebuild the fucking building. They've already raised like $10k. Fuck this bullshit. jesus.

Well first of all I'm SURE the GOP will be able to find somewhere a dollar or two to rebuild it themselves. Secondly that's giving money to people who are pretty happy promoting a racist, sexist arsehole like Trump to be president.

What happens if David Duke's house burns down? "Look I don't agree with your politics David, but no one deserves that. Here's $40,000 to help you rebuild your life, get back on your feet and start lynching black people again :)"

Yeah, I'm generally not on board with acts of political violence - at least not when you have a functioning democratic system, which the US ostensibly still has for the moment - but donating money to rebuild the office is the height of silliness. Great way for some liberals to pat themselves on the back for how "tolerant" and "generous" they are towards all people while actively helping a campaign that wants to undermine every single value they hold dear.

Sure it is wrong to firebomb the joint, won't support that ever, but starting a fucking gofundme to rebuild it?! How about donating that money to domestic violence services, organisations that support minorities that will be shat on for four years under Trump?

Why is that disturbing?

[TWEET]787838292058370048[/TWEET]

"Let me give these guys money and maybe they'll realize I'm one of the Good Liberals." You're giving money to the North Carolina GOP, the same group that passed HB2. They're actively trying to make life worse for minorities, and Democrats who have $100 to spare are actively encouraging people who very possibly don't to donate money to these assholes. There are so many worthy causes that desperately need attention and the Clinton Dems are more worried about the optics of who has the "high ground" or whatever. We don't even know who did this and yet the concern is ammo for the other side.

As if they don't have insurance on this shit anyway. It's wholly unnecessary and purely self-serving by (well-off) Democratic Party members who don't want their Twitter rants inconvenienced.

It's the right thing to do. People have to be kind to each other, period. And if the go fund me was limited to the amount needed, which cobl says it was, mainly, then it was the right thing to do. This country should never resort to political violence and terrorism. Even mild terrorism.

When someone commits a crime and does it in your name, unfortunately you are left with the responsibility to take action to say "this is not what I believe represents my views, and I want nothing to do with it."

That means more than just saying it. That means fixing the problem. It's sort of like how muslims have a responsibility to help show people that they're normal people just like everyone else. It is also the very same reason "PC" Obama won't say "radical Islamic terrorism." Everyone who stands for this view of equality has a responsibility to show that they are neither alienating nor being distant.

It's an unfortunate card to be dealt, but I think it's a good idea to not be implicit and instead display how this is not the views or behavior of anyone who belongs to this view, stance, or movement.

It's the right thing to do. People have to be kind to each other, period. And if the go fund me was limited to the amount needed, which cobl says it was, mainly, then it was the right thing to do. This country should never resort to political violence and terrorism. Even mild terrorism.

When someone commits a crime and does it in your name, unfortunately you are left with the responsibility to take action to say "this is not what I believe represents my views, and I want nothing to do with it."

That means more than just saying it. That means fixing the problem. It's sort of like how muslims have a responsibility to help show people that they're normal people just like everyone else. It is also the very same reason "PC" Obama won't say "radical Islamic terrorism." Everyone who stands for this view of equality has a responsibility to show that they are neither alienating nor being distant.

It's an unfortunate card to be dealt, but I think it's a good idea to not be implicit and instead display how this is not the views or behavior of anyone who belongs to this view, stance, or movement.

:up:

Sorry, I'm going to give my limited amounts of money to people who actually fucking deserve it, not these hateful cretins who would hang minorities if it would help them get elected. This isn't just the GOP, this is fucking North Carolina's GOP. Have we all forgotten the shit they've been up to recently?

You don't have to donate money to hateful people to prove you don't believe in political terrorism. Why am I suddenly being told otherwise?

So you think it's OK to use fear tactics to silence someone you don't agree with?

I mean, because that's what happened. And some people who don't agree with that kind of action decided to step up and show that this isn't OK and it's not who we are, and fixed it.

I think feeling the need to prove you are against fear tactics by sending money to hiding-in-plain-sight hate groups is insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let them win or fail on the merits of their argument, not because someone burned down their office.

Let's also not forget that, while these people might have diametrically opposed political beliefs, they are all members of the same community.

You can condemn the attacks, which are awful. But I would still save the money and send it to the next Planned Parenthood clinic that gets attacked. I don't recall a GOP GoFundMe Campaign for that.

Last edited:
Just as I figured, McMullin's candidacy in Utah was nowhere near its ceiling, especially since the majority of people didn't even know who he was according to recent polls. He's now a point behind Trump and a point ahead of Clinton and I can't really foresee any scenario where he doesn't end up taking the state unless the polling is just way off at the moment.

Just as I figured, McMullin's candidacy in Utah was nowhere near its ceiling, especially since the majority of people didn't even know who he was according to recent polls. He's now a point behind Trump and a point ahead of Clinton and I can't really foresee any scenario where he doesn't end up taking the state unless the polling is just way off at the moment.

You must be a wizard, or maybe a seer.

Last edited:
The idea that it's deplorable to donate, though to me, is an embodiment of what REALLY scares me about this election. I'm not worried about what happens to Clinton or Trump post election, I'm worried about what happens to us. The climate for violence is getting a bit oppressive at this point.

Truthfully there are better ways to donate your money - but then again I don't donate to political campaigns as a matter of course as I think $ goes a lot further in other places. But hey, to each their own, everyone has the right to spend how they see fit.

I was down south recently (South Carolina) and had a few people at home who had previously wanted Trump paraphernalia as a joke. Well we came across the Make America Great Again hats but didn't get any because even the people who thought it was funny once no longer do. It's like he is a giant shitstain on our world and the sooner he is gone the better we will all be.

Of course the reality is that he'll be bloviating on TrumpTV which is by all accounts in the works (hey FoxNews, couldn't have happened to nicer people!). Luckily we'll at least have the choice of not paying for the privilege of watching that drivel.

I think feeling the need to prove you are against fear tactics by sending money to hiding-in-plain-sight hate groups is insane.

No shit. I don't need to prove I'm against fear tactics by donating to help a group of people who... use fear tactics.

I frankly view this ridiculous donation campaign as a great exercise in back-patting and smug self-satisfaction.

I would like to see if there's any correlation between those donating (or defending it) to rebuild this building and those who get upset when anti-fascists confront Neo Nazis.

Being a republican does not make you inherently racist, misogynist, a terrible human being, or somehow evil, sorry. Life isn't black and white.

This particular state's headquarters may be shitty, but it doesn't make it OK, and to talk about basically half the country as if they're Nazis or something is really friggin' disturbing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom