2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Bono say about Fred Nile?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's been a rather long time since I've listened to the bootlegs, but I think it's Sydney Popmart where it's around mardi gras time and he has a real go at Fred Nile before Desire, telling Sydney not to let Fred Nile ruin their fun.

Just came across this article online, in case anyone really needs further proof of just how big a moron Mike Pence is:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pence-tries-to-stem-evangelical-rebellion-against-trump-220653885.html

LYNCHBURG, Va. — Republican vice presidential candidate Mike Pence on Wednesday framed the decision between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as an epochal choice, and implied that Christians who sit out the election lack courage.

“When the annals of this time in American history are written, the question will be, ‘Where were you?’ Where were we in the great battle for life and liberty and freedom in America? What did you do?” Pence said in a speech at Liberty University, a Christian university of 15,000 on-campus students in southwest Virginia.

“There’s no place for believers on the sidelines at a time like this,” Pence said. “It’s a time for courage.”

Pence left no room for the possibility that conservative evangelicals might actually consider standing against Trump on moral grounds.

Later in the article, it also mentions that he said this:

Pence, who was rumored to have been considering dropping off the ticket with Trump when the 2005 tape first broke into the news cycle, argued that Christians should forgive Trump for his indiscretions.

“As Christians, we are called to forgive even as we are forgiven,” Pence said. “My running mate showed humility … and then he fought back and turned the focus to the choice we face.”

I'll pause to let you all take in the "My running mate showed humility" part of his statement. Yeah.

Thing is, his plea seems to be kinda massively backfiring on him, because...

But on the very campus where he spoke, a group of Liberty students seized on Pence’s appearance to start publicly circulating a strongly worded petition repudiating Trump and distancing themselves from Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. because of his outspoken support for Trump.

“We are Liberty students who are disappointed with President Falwell’s endorsement and are tired of being associated with one of the worst presidential candidates in American history. Donald Trump does not represent our values and we want nothing to do with him,” the petition states.

“Because our president has led the world to believe that Liberty University supports Donald Trump, we students must take it upon ourselves to make clear that Donald Trump is absolutely opposed to what we believe, and does not have our support,”
the petition says. “We want the world to know how many students oppose him. We don’t want to champion Donald Trump; we want only to be champions for Christ.”

The petition also takes Falwell to task for defending Trump’s comments on a 2005 videotape in which he talks graphically about forcing himself physically on women and sexually assaulting them.

“Any faculty or staff member at Liberty would be terminated for such comments, and yet when Donald Trump makes them, President Falwell rushes eagerly to his defense — taking the name ‘Liberty University’ with him. ‘We’re all sinners,’ Falwell told the media, as if sexual assault is a shoulder-shrugging issue rather than an atrocity which plagues college campuses across America, including our own,” the petition states.

Jerry Falwell Jr. supporting Trump. You can't make this stuff up, I swear...

And Mike Pence's words and actions here are a prime example of why the Republican Party is in the state it's in now. When even your normally deeply loyal base is calling you out on your shit, you know you've got problems.

If I was President of the US I would make the use of the words 'liberty' and 'freedom' a criminal offence. That's how ridiculous the overuse of these words is.

Just came across this article online, in case anyone really needs further proof of just how big a moron Mike Pence is:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pence-tries-to-stem-evangelical-rebellion-against-trump-220653885.html

Later in the article, it also mentions that he said this:

I'll pause to let you all take in the "My running mate showed humility" part of his statement. Yeah.

Thing is, his plea seems to be kinda massively backfiring on him, because...

Jerry Falwell Jr. supporting Trump. You can't make this stuff up, I swear...

And Mike Pence's words and actions here are a prime example of why the Republican Party is in the state it's in now. When even your normally deeply loyal base is calling you out on your shit, you know you've got problems.

It sickens me when people try to use religious guilt to get votes.

I can't stand the phrase "freedom isn't free." WTF does that even mean?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think it means you have to have wealth to have freedom. :wink:

Which is actually on the money.

In America, scary rightwing outfits have names like Liberty and Freedom and Heritage. In Australia they call themselves the Institute for Public Affairs.

We do have the Australian Liberty Alliance though, the answer to a question no one asked - uppity upper-middle class reactionaries.

Cum-fYCW8AAwJt0.jpg

In December 2005, PEOPLE writer Natasha Stoynoff went to Mar-a-Lago to interview Donald and Melania Trump. What she says happened next left her badly shaken. Reached for comment, a spokeswoman for Trump said, “This never happened. There is no merit or veracity to this fabricated story.” What follows is Stoynoff’s account.

“Just for the record,” Anderson Cooper asked Donald Trump, during the presidential debate last Sunday, “are you saying … that you did not actually kiss women without (their) consent?”

“I have not,” Trump insisted.

I remember it differently.

http://people.com/politics/donald-trump-attacked-people-writer/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom