2014 New Zealand general election thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, you bet.

The trouble for those who imagine to perpetuate it is that times have changed, the long boom is probably over and the also-rans from that government are barely fit to sit on a rural council.

The Howard Years is our new Menzies Years.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

John Key, the one or two photos I ever see of him, reminds me of the President in 'House of Cards'. Let's hope there isn't a Francis Underwood waiting in the wings.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Well shit got interesting today. To use what will surely be the headline on tomorrow's Sunday Star-Times, "Crusher" finally got crushed - Judith Collins has resigned as Justice Minister. Really she should've been gone much sooner. The amount of times she was given a "last chance" reflects badly on Key, as does the fact she's been allowed to resign rather than Key publicly sacking her from the ministry. Obviously her hand was forced, but Key would've looked more decisive by demoting Collins himself.

The big question here is whether this was in response to Collins' seemingly endless string of controversies - the latest that she actively sought to undermine the head of the Serious Fraud Office while she was Minister responsible for said Office - or because she was marshalling forces to undermine Key. Winston Peters has claimed that he was approached about whether he would work with a Collins-led National Party in parliament: Peters stands by Collins claim - Politics - NZ Herald News

Collins has denied it, obviously, but her denials aren't worth the paper they're printed on right now. Here's the email that, at least publicly, brought her down today: The email that brought down Judith Collins - National - NZ Herald News

I think there's something of possibly greater interest in that email than the revelation about Collins undermining the head of the SFO: the details about Cameron Slater being in close contact with the NZ Herald, including a Herald journalist feeding him info that could not run in the paper so that it would be published on Whale Oil. Coverage and commentary on the scandal has to date focused on the links between Slater and politicians, but what about the links between Slater and journalists? Surely feeding Slater scandalous info the paper wouldn't publish is at the least unethical.

Coverage on Stuff.co.nz (the Internet umbrella site for all Fairfax papers in New Zealand) of the Dirty Politics scandal has been pissweak, often buried among silly fluff headlines. Now, Stuff has become increasingly fond of fluff, but the pissy coverage of the scandal is poor even by their standards. One of my colleagues suspects it's because key political reporters at Stuff were actually balls-deep in the scandal, reliant on Slater for news or using him for their benefit. I wouldn't be surprised if he was right - and now it emerges the Herald did in fact have exactly those relationships. I've got to give Herald credit then for its coverage this year of the scandal and for publishing the email. They haven't exactly called themselves out for past misdemeanours, but now for the first time in my life I have more respect for the Herald than I do for the Fairfax stable.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
Vocal parasite

New Zealand is at the polls as we speak.

Fancy a laugh? Check out our arse-backwards election day laws:

Quote:
Publishing anything on election day that could potentially influence another voter is strictly prohibited in New Zealand until voting has closed.

The same rules apply to social media users, and the Electoral Commission reminded users that encouraging others to vote was okay, as long as no mention of candidates or parties were made.
Where's the election coverage? - National - NZ Herald News

That's especially absurd in light of the unprecedented turnout of early voters - possibly as much as a quarter of all votes will be early ones. By the sounds of it, weather's pretty shit across much of New Zealand today too, and since voting is voluntary that will drive down today's turnout figures.

Oh well, I'm free to say from Australia that Kiwis back home should brave the weather to go vote for Green or Labour. Otherwise, stay at home nice and dry and enjoy your weekend quietly. Cheers.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Pretty disappointed and honestly baffled by the results coming in right now. Keep waiting for at least a little surge to ensure the Nats cannot secure an absolute majority, and it keeps failing to come. Internet Mana are dead. Hone Harawira made a terrible mistake siding with Kim Dotcom; barring a miracle he's lost Te Tai Tokerau. Labour and Green result is frankly disastrous. The strong return of National - a duplicitious government that has indulged in odious and illegal activity against opponents and deceived the public about spying - is beyond my understanding right now. New Zealanders seem to have just tuned this out and focused on a bullshit folksy persona. This whole idea that National has won on the basis of NZ having a good economy can only be described as farcical, given the amount of people who are moving from New Zealand to Australia, a country where they enjoy few rights and no representation, to work at Macca's and earn more than they can in a professional job in NZ.

I don't know what else to say, at least not without getting angry.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well that sounds like a counter-intuitive election outcome. Let's cut the crap and say it sounds like us a year ago. Except they're returning the government.

Do workers at Maccas (in Australia) really earn more than professionals in New Zealand? Say I want to become a doctor in New Zealand.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Well that sounds like a counter-intuitive election outcome. Let's cut the crap and say it sounds like us a year ago. Except they're returning the government.
That's a decent analogy. What's left me particularly shocked is that National's vote has gone up (only marginally, but still enough to gain a couple of extra list seats). I would try to explain that away by suggesting it was soft Conservative voters defecting to National after a minor scandal two days out from the election - Colin Craig's press secretary quit, accusing him of being manipulative, and he had no time to go into damage control - but the Conservative vote stayed stable around what polls predicted, and New Zealand First's vote surged.

I was ready for Key to retain in power with support from New Zealand First. I had not even entertained the possibility that their vote would improve after all that has transpired. That's what's left me reeling. It is especially depressing to see all the scandals dismissed as simply "noise". Nicky Hager and Glenn Greenwald have both raised very serious issues that need a lot more discussion, and to suggest it was a distraction or an irrelevancy is either 1. insulting or 2. says there is something very rotten - or just very lazy and disengaged - in New Zealand democracy.

Quote:
Do workers at Maccas (in Australia) really earn more than professionals in New Zealand? Say I want to become a doctor in New Zealand.
That was a slight exaggeration. However, I know baristas here who earn more than friends in New Zealand with jobs in the public service. The minimum wage in New Zealand is roughly $5 lower than it is here, and that's without taking the exchange rate into account. If I took an academic job in New Zealand I would probably earn at least 30% less than I would in an equivalent position in Australia. My current income is below average in Australia; in New Zealand I would be comfortably above average. It's not surprising that so many Kiwis come here, even though they are now essentially ineligible for citizenship (thank god I came when I did); I know a few couples who've come here, worked for a few years on a decent but not remarkable Aussie wage, saved it, then gone back to New Zealand and now live pretty comfortably.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What was it some people used to say at the height of the Bush era? Democracy is a mile wide and an inch deep.

It really does require an engaged citizenry.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I voted National
Cant stand Cunliffe!
Russel Norman is a idiot as well from the eco-warrior Greens.

Dirty Politics was a joke. If National did everything that's claimed in that book, fair play, very clever of them.

Kim Dot Com needs to be turfed out. His moment of truth with his criminal mates and that joker Greenwald was a load of nonsense. Nothing wrong with a bit of surveillance. Govts should be allowed to keep a few secrets here and there.

My preference was to vote NZ First but i stuck with National in case Winston teamed up with Labour.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #25
Vocal parasite

I'm going to take that as satire of an idiot National voter.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #26
Refugee

All politicians are the same. I'm sure Labour would get involved in dirty shenanigans if they had the chance

NZ doesnt need a bunch of crazy lefties with silly living wages. Bring on the fracking and stable govt for 3 years. Clearly NZ doesnt care about Dirty Politics. Hager's audience is left wing loonies, who hate John Key anyway so his book was bound to make no difference. As for Dot Com, Snowden and Assange. They all need to be locked up.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Good to know that MFI is a Tory. Noel would be so proud.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #28
Refugee

I'm no Tory. I have an equal dislike for lefties and posh people. In fact i dislike most people.

I'm not rich. I work for every penny and others should to.

Labour are in complete disarray here. If it was David Shearer, Grant Robertson, Hipkins or Jacinda Ardern i may have voted for them. But i dont believe in raising the minimum wage or having a living wage so thats what made be vote for JK. Winston is a legend though. Shame he is so old.

Tags
new zealand