2012 US Elections, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carlos Gutierrez, a top Hispanic American surrogate and adviser to Mitt Romney's campaign, on Sunday expressed outrage over the former presidential candidate’s comment that minorities voted for Obama because he bribed them with “gifts.”

“I was shocked. And frankly I don’t think that’s why Republicans lost the election," Gutierrez said during an appearance on CNN’s "State of the Union." "I think we lost the election because the far right of this party has taken the party to a place that it doesn’t belong."

Romney's remarks, made last week in a post-election conference call with donors, sparked Democratic outrage, with even top Republican operatives repudiating the 2012 Republican nominee. Second-term Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal -- the first Indian-American to be elected governor -- told reporters at the Republican Governors Association annual meeting in Las Vegas that he "absolutely reject that notion, that description." Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has sought distance from Romney after the controversial remarks.

Now Gutierrez, a former businessman and director of Romney's Hispanic outreach, is piling on.

"I don’t know if he understood that he was saying something that was insulting," Gutierrez told Candy Crowley. "The language, the attitude, the body language, that’s what Latinos watch."

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich had harsh words Sunday for GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s suggestion that he lost the election because President Barack Obama offered “gifts” to African-Americans, Hispanics, and young voters.

“I just think it’s nuts,” Gingrich said on ABC. “I mean, first of all, it's insulting.”

“The job of a political leader in part is to understand the people. If we can't offer a better future that is believable to more people, we're not going to win,” said Gingrich, who launched blistering attacks on Romney last spring while seeking the presidential nomination himself.

Gutierrez said during an appearance on CNN’s "State of the Union." "I think we lost the election because the far right of this party has taken the party to a place that it doesn’t belong."

This is it, plain and simple. If the GOP won't wake up, you're looking at sinking into irrelevant oblivon. The problem is, they are still listening to the far right's spin on this election. As soon as you put the Hannity(s) and Rush(s) out of a job, as soon as you stop courting the Tea Party ignorance, and stop parading around your token minority players(because it's just too transparent) then you may actually have a shot. This was your election to lose, if you don't learn from this one, you're looking at a decade or two of irrelevance.

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich had harsh words Sunday for GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s suggestion that he lost the election because President Barack Obama offered “gifts” to African-Americans, Hispanics, and young voters.

“I just think it’s nuts,” Gingrich said on ABC. “I mean, first of all, it's insulting.”

“The job of a political leader in part is to understand the people. If we can't offer a better future that is believable to more people, we're not going to win,” said Gingrich, who launched blistering attacks on Romney last spring while seeking the presidential nomination himself.

Things are getting pretty bad for the GOP when Newt Gingrich is the voice of reason.

It's shit like this that makes me weep for humanity.

Scientists agree: the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. But don’t tell that to Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) — he thinks the age of the Earth can be discovered by studying the Bible.
In an interview with GQ magazine, Rubio suggested that the age of the Earth was “a dispute among theologians” and that there is no way to know the truth about the age of the Earth:
GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
RUBIO: I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.
The age of the Earth isn’t much of a mystery to scientists, who use methods like radiometric dating to determine how old the Earth is with relative precision. To suggest we can’t know how old the Earth is, then, is to deny the validity of these scientific methods altogether — a maneuver familiar to Rubio, who also denies the reality of anthropogenic climate change.
Rubio isn’t the only figure in his party to challenge the scientific approach to the age of the Earth. Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) said “I don’t have any idea” how old the Earth is, while former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) suggested “we just don’t know.”

I was actually going to just post this exact same thing.

You don't have to be a scientist to accept scientific fact.

Things are getting pretty bad for the GOP when Newt Gingrich is the voice of reason.

not the voice of reason at all, he is just arrogant, he believes he could have won

if he were the nominee, the GOP would have loss by 10% instead of 2-3%

Gingrich wanted to give 11, 12 year old black children the gift of being the janitor at their schools for 2-3 dollars an hour, while taking away the 10 dollar an hour job from adults.

Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

the mind set of religious believers

ok, if it was not 7 days, it was 7 eras

it was still God's creation, and at most we will adjust one word to keep our concept viable

It's shit like this that makes me weep for humanity.

magnets.jpg

I don't wanna talk to no scientist, y'all motherfuckers lyin' and gettin' me pissed

I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow.

Can't argue with that. Which makes me wonder why the interviewer felt the need to bring up the topic, and why he didn't just say, "This has nothing to do with current political issues" and move on.

I really cannot believe we still have politicians who refuse to acknowledge scientific facts, that this is an issue that's still up for debate. Really, people?

My thoughts exactly. Wow.

Can't argue with that. Which makes me wonder why the interviewer felt the need to bring up the topic.

The biggest problem that Republicans have regarding economics is a problem regarding facts, specifically arithmetic. If Rubio basically admits he is at odds with scientific fact, as far as I'm concerned, he is disqualified as a legitimate Presidential candidate. And thus the question legitimizes itself.

Was it a 'gotcha' question? Sure. But it worked.

Remember the guy who was convinced the polls were skewed in favor of the Democrats? He then started a website to "Unskew" the polls? Remember how the election results proved the polls were correct? Well, this guy won't take math for an answer. He has a new website called BarackOFraudo.com (don't ask why it's OFraudo instead of OFrauda). It apparently posits that President Obama didn't really win, rather there was rampant voter fraud perpetrated by the Dems alone. :rolleyes:

From the Maker of Unskewed Polling Comes: The Obama Voter Fraud Map

The biggest problem that Republicans have regarding economics is a problem regarding facts, specifically arithmetic. If Rubio basically admits he is at odds with scientific fact, as far as I'm concerned, he is disqualified as a legitimate Presidential candidate. And thus the question legitimizes itself.

Was it a 'gotcha' question? Sure. But it worked.

Good point. I'm suddenly reminded of Paul Ryan's increasing frustration when he was being grilled about how exactly his economic plan was supposed to work and he pretty much finally brushed it off by saying it'd take too long to explain the math, or something along that line.

And I certainly agree with you about that not making him qualified, too. Just that unfortunately the right will likely see that as further ammunition, but eh, then again, they see pretty much any critique or questioning of their positions as an "attack" on them nowadays, so nothing new there, really.

Remember the guy who was convinced the polls were skewed in favor of the Democrats? He then started a website to "Unskew" the polls? Remember how the election results proved the polls were correct? Well, this guy won't take math for an answer. He has a new website called BarackOFraudo.com (don't ask why it's OFraudo instead of OFrauda). It apparently posits that President Obama didn't really win, rather there was rampant voter fraud perpetrated by the Dems alone. :rolleyes:

From the Maker of Unskewed Polling Comes: The Obama Voter Fraud Map

Remember how the Republicans kept telling the Democrats to get over it after the 2000 election and laughed at the idea of fraudlent elections back then? Yeah...

Also, really, "BarackOFraudo"? First off, ooh, clever name there, buddy! Second, this is why it's hard to take these people seriously. Are they at all aware of just how childish and immature they come off?

politico.com

Former Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Sunday the GOP needs to embrace a bigger tent and immigration reform - and leave abortion "alone” in the wake of the disappointing 2012 presidential elections.

“We have to have a bigger tent. No doubt about it. And obviously we have to do immigration reform,” McCain said on “Fox News Sunday.” “There is no doubt whatsoever that the demographics are not on our side.”

The Arizona senator added that the GOP needed to have a more proactive conversation about the policies it supports.

“We are going to give a much more positive agenda. It can’t be just being against the Democrats… You’ve got to be for things, and we have to give them something like the ‘Contract for America,’” he said.

While he was proud of his personal pro-life message, McCain said “as far as young women are concerned, I don’t think anybody like me – I can state my position on abortion, but other than that, leave the issue alone when we are in the kind of economic situation, and frankly, national security situation that we’re in.”

While he was proud of his personal pro-life message, McCain said “as far as young women are concerned, I don’t think anybody like me – I can state my position on abortion, but other than that, leave the issue alone when we are in the kind of economic situation, and frankly, national security situation that we’re in.”

BINGO.

Where the hell were you with all this in 2008, McCain? We could've used more comments like this back then.

politico.com

“We have to have a bigger tent. No doubt about it. And obviously we have to do immigration reform,” McCain said on “Fox News Sunday.” “There is no doubt whatsoever that the demographics are not on our side.”

There ya go. Toss out the ones we've got, and keep out any more that might come in and support the other party. 'Murica!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one. I wonder if they'll talk about gifts.

WASHINGTON -- The White House says President Barack Obama will meet privately Thursday with his vanquished rival Mitt Romney, their first face-to-face encounter since the election.

Obama promised in his victory speech on Nov. 6 to engage with Romney and consider his ideas.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one. I wonder if they'll talk about gifts.

WASHINGTON -- The White House says President Barack Obama will meet privately Thursday with his vanquished rival Mitt Romney, their first face-to-face encounter since the election.

Obama promised in his victory speech on Nov. 6 to engage with Romney and consider his ideas.

Obama had to make a couple of concessions to get him to come.
Film director Ang Lee will be there, Romney gets to call him a currency manipulator. If any of the service people are Latino, Romney gets to shout, 'self deport!'.

deep said:
Obama had to make a couple of concessions to get him to come.
Film director Ang Lee will be there, Romney gets to call him a currency manipulator. If any of the service people are Latino, Romney gets to shout, 'self deport!'.

Ang Lee is from Free Taiwan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom