2012 Presidential Debates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, with all the shenanigans going on in all these states, that the democratic voting process is a joke in the USA. So many parties and partisans trying to influence the outcome of the election by disenfranchising voters, preventing registrations, preventing persons to vote, etc. Why is it even necessary to register to vote? It should be easy for an (independent) organisation organizing the elections to send everyone who is legally allowed to vote a voting card a few weeks before the election. On election day that person can use the voting card to cast his/her ballot.
In the end, I think the election result will be fairly democratic, but that also depends on the lawsuits that will be started up after the elections. The process, however, is a joke.

:up: Amen to all of this. Our system is horribly broken and we desperately need to fix it. How to do that, though, I don't know-it's hard enough to get people enthused about this stuff anymore, and the ones that are often wind up so divided that to agree on anything is something of a miracle.

God, I wish that would be the case, more for the sake of state politics than anything. Unfortunately, the GOP is so hopelessly entrenched in state politics that it will probably artificially drag out how long it takes for Texas to become a swing state. The GOP here is pretty nutty.

With an ever changing demographic, the fact that local politics in San Antonio and Houston are leaning more Democratic, and the fact that in 2008 Obama won not only the usual border areas and Austin but he also won San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas has some key players a little scared. Yeah it may take awhile, I hope Perry's epic failure will help speed up things.

I might be biased but I believe San Antonio will get some notice for being a city that has comparably strived during this recession and has a mayor that is basically implementing a lot of the same economic strategies that Obama has put forth.

Austin is a pretty great city. The weather in the summer is abhorrent, and I've gotten a little bored after living here for nineteen years, but I should consider myself lucky. It's a good place to live. And it's indeed very liberal. The suburbs lean to the right, but probably not to the degree that Plano and Southlake and Sugar Land and The Woodlands do.

Powell Endorses Obama (Again); Obama Calls 'Other Guy' a 'Bullshitter' - The Ballot 2012 (usnews.com)

Obama also let loose during a just-published interview with Rolling Stone magazine. As reported by Politico, after Obama was told that the magazine's executive editor's 6-year-old daughter wanted to tell the president, "You can do it," the president replied, "You know, kids have good instincts."

"They look at the other guy and say, 'Well, that's a bullshitter, I can tell,'" Obama said.

Keeping it classy :up:

I'm the last to get uptight over swearing, normally. However, I do think there is certain language that is, and is not, appropriate for the President of the United States to use in interviews. I was very critical of Santorum over this, as well.

I'm the last to get uptight over swearing, normally. However, I do think there is certain language that is, and is not, appropriate for the President of the United States to use in interviews. I was very critical of Santorum over this, as well.

I know!

He should have used "fucking wanker" instead. ;-)

(although if taken literally "fucking wanker" is an oxymoron....)

I think there are other, more serious ways to degrade the presidency than swearing in an interview. Lying, messing up with a lot of issues, the list goes on.

Is there any way to consolidate these three threads - Debates/Obama/GOP Nominee?
More or less, they are all talking about the same thing.

Normally, I am not one to be a stickler for such things but I'm just saying - do we really need separate threads at this point? There are no more debates. And the GOP Nominee has been decided for months. At this point it's just Obama v Romney. Maybe close these down and go with one general Election thread? If not, whatever. Just a suggestion.

U2DMfan said:
Is there any way to consolidate these three threads - Debates/Obama/GOP Nominee?
More or less, they are all talking about the same thing.

Normally, I am not one to be a stickler for such things but I'm just saying - do we really need separate threads at this point? There are no more debates. And the GOP Nominee has been decided for months. At this point it's just Obama v Romney. Maybe close these down and go with one general Election thread? If not, whatever. Just a suggestion.

Why don't we just do an election superthread? I'll make it myself in a bit if no one else does.

I have always been of the belief that politics could use a little more swearing. I would LOVE to hear Romney respond to this by calling Obama "a real asshole" or something. I would have more respect for both of them.

I have always been of the belief that politics could use a little more swearing. I would LOVE to hear Romney respond to this by calling Obama "a real asshole" or something. I would have more respect for both of them.

Agreed. Don't dance around it. Say what you feel FOR FUCKING ONCE.

Maybe we'd get lucky and Romney would call Obama a monkey or something.

Why don't we just do an election superthread? I'll make it myself in a bit if no one else does.
i'm assuming you guys would want this thread (which is really done with anyone now that the debates are over) as well as the gop and obama threads closed once that one is up?

agreed. i'm not a fan of that kind of attitude where you hold shit back. sometimes it can be better to just call someone an ass or a wanker and just get it out rather than dancing around it. because then it's out in the open and you can move on. politics would be a lot better if the candidates were more honest and didn't mince words.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm assuming you guys would want this thread (which is really done with anyone now that the debates are over) as well as the gop and obama threads closed once that one is up?

I personally think that would be a good idea.

Whatever you guys want to do with the threads is fine with me.

Or, calling it as he sees it :shrug:. Because Romney is a bullshitter.

I too have no real issue with any president, or presidential candidate, cussing from time to time. Believe me, given some of the blatantly offensive things I've heard the GOP politicians, Obama calling Romney a "bullshitter" is nothing.

Also, regarding Austin, I want to go there someday just to check out their music festival. They always seem to have at least a couple acts I like there each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom