2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When did I say he was evil and wouldn't show any compassion? Or heartless? He made some comments fairly recently about disaster aid after something happened and said basically that's what the insurance companies are there for.

1. that's of course if you have insurance

2. there are people in my state still waiting for insurance settlements over a year later after tornadoes destroyed their homes

I'm sure he can be pastoral and compassionate and all those things, but when all those people have left you and you need food and clothing and shelter what do you do when aid has been cut and budgets have been cut? I think it's lazy and easy to say and do all the right things to victims' faces then pull the rug out from under them when you are asked to put your money where your mouth is. He also comes from an out of touch perspective, as witnessed by his shop around for college and borrow money from your parents comments (and probably countless others that you could Google). If disaster struck any of his homes he's got plenty of others to live in, and the cash to just buy a new one. Does that make him "evil" or lacking in compassion? No. Out of touch with the average person? Yes. You can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps if you literally don't even have any bootstraps left.

I definitely get this argument. You're absolutely right about that. The "insurance" comment is amazingly naive. I just happened to agree with Sean's general comment, but your points are valid, too.

Also, ummmmmm...Jackson? Shut up. You're not helping. How about we hope EVERYONE make it through this hurricane okay, hmm? And I wasn't aware weather systems could be racist.

I am now watching Mia Love, give em' hell.

082812_al_love_640.jpg

We built this !!!!!!

This is Love's story: Her parents had $10 in their pockets when they left Haiti for the U.S. 39 years ago. Her father worked several jobs to support the family, including paying for his daughter to attend the University of Hartford, where she graduated with a degree in fine arts.

"I remember taking my dad to college with me on the first day of orientation and he looked at me very seriously and he said 'Mia, your mother and I have done everything we could to get you here. We've worked hard. We've never taken a handout. You're not going to be a burden to society. You will give back,'" Love said in an interview Tuesday with Fox News.

"It actually stayed with me," she said.

Love, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and raised primarily in Connecticut, moved to Utah in 1997 and married Jason Love. She converted to Mormonism, and served on the Saratoga City Council for six years before running for mayor.

Love, a favorite among the Tea Party movement, champions fiscal responsibility and limited government. Her chief mission, she says, is to run a "fiscally sound city."

"It's not rocket science," she told Fox News. "The most I've done is really step out of the way and allowed the economy to thrive ... allowed businesses to come and add resources."

She describes President Obama's vision for the country as a "divided one."

"If you listen to even the vice president's comments when he comes out and he says 'They want to put ya'll back in chains' ... it's inappropriate," she said, referring to Vice President Biden's controversial remarks two weeks ago in which he told voters that Romney planned to "unchain Wall Street" and that "they're gonna put y'all back in chains."

"People just want opportunity," Love said. "They don't want a handout."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...o-feature-rising-star-mia-love/#ixzz24t6mg7E4

Rising GOP star Mia Love glides into the spotlight at convention | Fox News

She converted to Mormonism, and served on the Saratoga City Council for six years before running for mayor.

Lucky for her they now let black people in.

images

Putting up a U.S. debt clock in the convention center. Brilliant :up: It reminds folks what this election is really about.

It's not free contraception or Mitt's tax returns.

images

Putting up a U.S. debt clock in the convention center. Brilliant :up: It reminds folks what this election is really about.

It's interesting that Republicans are concerned about government debt once again, finally.

Certainly, I welcome the return to traditional conservative values, but you would have to admit your party went hog wild in the Bush years.

yes, ^ Romney promised to buy him a NBA franchise

i think it is actually Thursday night

my guess, Nancy Reagan :shrug:

Last edited:
Mia Love's story is a definitely an inspiring one, and possibly based on luck. How often do we hear about someone - particularly an immigrant - getting by without going on welfare?

I don't think welfare should be a must for those who qualify, but I also don't think it should be seen as a sort of cancer in American society as some would make it out to be. Poverty is a complex issue with a lot of gray areas. What I do believe is those on welfare should be heavily encouraged to get on their own feet and not rely on welfare forever. True, some are unable to work because of disability and no, I don't think they should be sneered at for being on welfare.

I guess my views on this issue comes from having gone to school with some people who lived on welfare or at least on low-income, and today are living the same lives as their parents. Of course, there are various reasons why they continued the cycle, and no I don't see them as lazy. I think calling these people lazy is too easy and one should look closely as to why generations of some Americans stay on welfare.

Of course he is :rolleyes:!

images

Fully agreed, the economy should be the big concern. Can you tell that to your Republican politicians who feel the need to try and make laws about the first thing under your spoiler, then? And can you tell Santorum to shut up about the "assault on marriage" as well?

And as for Mitt's tax returns, hey, again, if we could waste time hounding Obama about his birth certificate...:shrug:.

Mia Love's story is a definitely an inspiring one, and possibly based on luck. How often do we hear about someone - particularly an immigrant - getting by without going on welfare?

I don't think welfare should be a must for those who qualify, but I also don't think it should be seen as a sort of cancer in American society as some would make it out to be. Poverty is a complex issue with a lot of gray areas. What I do believe is those on welfare should be heavily encouraged to get on their own feet and not rely on welfare forever. True, some are unable to work because of disability and no, I don't think they should be sneered at for being on welfare.

I guess my views on this issue comes from having gone to school with some people who lived on welfare or at least on low-income, and today are living the same lives as their parents. Of course, there are various reasons why they continued the cycle, and no I don't see them as lazy. I think calling these people lazy is too easy and one should look closely as to why generations of some Americans stay on welfare.

When you or I talk like this we may be called mean spirited.

Her parents could have gone on aid and raised her that way.

Now her children will most likely be self-sufficient like she is and their grand parents are. Sometimes what is called the safety net, can become a web that traps, or a hammock.

:up:

It's just frustrating to hear people who've never been in the low-income/welfare class sit there and bring up the "lazy" accusation. Either that, or they patronize us and think we're too stupid or whatever. I feel like telling them, "You don't think we're trying? You think we LIKE living this way?"

Any job is better than nothing, obviously. But when you've got a family to support, or when you're looking for a place to live (and I'm not even talking about buying a house, I'm talking about merely renting an apartment or something), or when you want to go to the friggin' doctor and NOT be in debt doing so, you're going to want a job that pays you more than the bare minimum wage. And if there isn't much in the way of jobs that offer that, if you're being rejected for potentially good jobs because you only have a high school degree at best, and when you hear about the CEOs of businesses getting large bonuses while they're letting the underlings go because they "just can't afford to keep them on anymore" or some BS like that, it gets really frustrating really fast, and so some people probably do think, "You know what, fuck it, at least I'm getting some definite money through government benefits."

And again, I don't know how it works from state to state, but I remember my parents had to go through tons of paperwork to prove they were worthy of getting government aid to begin with. So this idea that people are scamming on some grand scale or something...some people are, yes, with every system comes a way for people to work around it. But is it really happening THAT often? It's never come off to me like they're just handing out the benefits willy-nilly to just anyone.

Santorum is talking about the assault on marriage. :hyper:

Yes, that's so much more important than the fact the economy is lousy and millions have been out of work for far too long. :rolleyes:

I wonder if those who are struggling financially really care who marries who or what a woman does with her body? Honestly, I hope some Americans have their priorities straightened out.

Who is assaulting marriage?

And then INDY tells us how it's about the economy. As if we are all imagining the endless commentary on the assault on marriage and the well wishes for the unborn. Gimme a break.

When you or I talk like this we may be called mean spirited.

Her parents could have gone on aid and raised her that way.

Now her children will most likely be self-sufficient like she is and their grand parents are. Sometimes what is called the safety net, can become a web that traps, or a hammock.

Like I said, poverty is very complex and no one should pigeon hole those who live like that. I don't see how looking down on those on welfare or encouraging to stay on it for unnecessarily long periods of time is good for this country at all.

By the way, once again, I'm just LOVING hearing the party of "small government" talk about wanting to support denying gay people the right to marry and making laws about what women can do with their bodies :up:. Remember: getting involved in regulating businesses so they don't screw people over=bad. But getting involved in regulating people's love lives and women's bodies? Yeah, that's fine.

By the way, once again, I'm just LOVING hearing the party of "small government" talk about wanting to support denying gay people the right to marry and making laws about what women can do with their bodies :up:. Remember: getting involved in regulating businesses so they don't screw people over=bad. But getting involved in regulating people's love lives and women's bodies? Yeah, that's fine.

It is bizarre!

Sometimes when I really analyze what role should the government play in society and in the country, I feel as if the whole idea of how this government is set up should change radically. Not only should the government stay out of social issues, but also local economics. I don't know, I just believe that local communities should get together and help each other in times of a bad economy, teen pregnancies, drug addiction and things like that. Its like I want tribalism to come back and have some sort of an institution do all the foreign work in this increasingly globalized world.

I know, I know, what I just said is extremely laughable. But I really believe the government should stay away from social issues and local businesses and economies. There's too much government all around to me.

Ha ha, I'm funny.

I, unlike most of you, actually listened to the Santorum speech and didn't hear one mention of anything related to gay marriage. Here's the line:

The fact is that marriage is disappearing in places where government dependency is highest. Most single mothers do heroic work and an amazing job raising their children, but if America is going to succeed, we must stop the assault on marriage and the family," he said. "Under President Obama, the dream of freedom and opportunity has become a nightmare of dependency with almost half of America receiving some government benefit."

The former Pennsylvania Senator offered up his formula for economic success: Work hard, go to school, and get married before having children.

"In America we believe in freedom and the responsibility that comes with it to work hard to make that dream of reaching our God-given potential come true," he said. "Graduate from high school, work hard, and get married before you have children and the chance you will ever be in poverty is just two percent."

He went on to talk about "family; the first rung to success" being missing or broken for so many children.

At this point I have to ask: Do some of you even give a rat's ass about the truth? Pearl? Anitram? Moonlit? Deep?

It's interesting that Republicans are concerned about government debt once again, finally.

Certainly, I welcome the return to traditional conservative values, but you would have to admit your party went hog wild in the Bush years.

That's why the GOP lost the House and Senate in 2006 and the White House in 2010. The base was demoralized and independents rightfully went in the direction of "change" as well.

It's why the "right track, wrong track" numbers were so high during Bush's 2nd term. Democrats and a lot of conservatives all thought we were on the wrong track albeit for different reasons.

Finally, Bush's bailouts were the genesis of the Tea Party.

I, unlike most of you, actually listened to the Santorum speech and didn't hear one mention of anything related to gay marriage. Here's the line:

He went on to talk about "family; the first rung to success" being missing or broken for so many children.

At this point I have to ask: Do some of you even give a rat's ass about the truth? Pearl? Anitram? Moonlit? Deep?

Did I write anything about "gay marriage" ?

Santorum is talking about the assault on marriage. :hyper:

Santorum, standing ovation "all God's children born and unborn"

those are direct quotes from his speech

Back
Top Bottom