2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really

here is the whole context from your article

Look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business—you didn’t build that.

it was an asshat statement, what is/ was his point ??

successful people don't deserve credit, getting up at 5 am and working 14 hour days are over rated?

the audience he was speaking to, did he need to boost their self esteem

were they a bunch of t-ballers, does everyone get a trophy for showing up?

I am so glad I was watching preseason football that was probably one of the worst NFL games of all time.

Then you may have missed the best speech of the RNC thus far.
Condi Rice gave an incredible speech. Not really partisan at all, that I recall.
I don't think she mentioned Obama one time. And no teleprompter. Very fluid.

I've seen her in countless interviews over the years. My impression of her has always been that she's been stiff and somewhat monotonous. Very rehearsed. I never had thought she'd make a good candidate. I was wrong. She was actually quite Presidential last night. I was impressed.

The ladies have done a good job thus far. Ann Romney>>>>>>>Chris Christie.
Condi Rice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paul Ryan.

Ryan was robotic and typical.
The teleprompter was
really
apparent because of
some strange

pause breaks and
awkward emphasis.

As a journalist, this saddens me. The media, who are more content to get stuff out there as quickly as possible rather than holding public officials accountable, are as much to blame for this than the Republican brass.

Stop Worrying About The Romney Campaign's Erasing Whole Lines From Obama's "You Didn't Build That" Riff. They Are Simply Disappeared. | The New Republic

Yep. They perpetuate the conflict. And they do it because it sells. The Democrats and Republicans pander to the LCD, say this stupid shit, react without nuance...all because it works. If being honest and forthright and objective were a 'winning strategy' on behalf of the media or the politicians, they would do it.

I blame most people in general.

U2DMfan said:
Then you may have missed the best speech of the RNC thus far.
Condi Rice gave an incredible speech. Not really partisan at all, that I recall.
I don't think she mentioned Obama one time. And no teleprompter. Very fluid.

I've seen her in countless interviews over the years. My impression of her has always been that she's been stiff and somewhat monotonous. Very rehearsed. I never had thought she'd make a good candidate. I was wrong. She was actually quite Presidential last night. I was impressed.

The ladies have done a good job thus far. Ann Romney>>>>>>>Chris Christie.
Condi Rice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paul Ryan.

That doesn't surprise me, I think she's a brilliant woman. The women in it are probably the best thing about that party. With a few exceptions.

Too bad there aren't more women in it with real power and influence.

Irvine511 said:
perhaps if the GOP would agree that women should have power and influence over their own anatomy the GOP would do better

Yeah, that's one hurdle

I'd love to see them try to tell Dr.Rice what to do with hers. She must be at least mildly disgusted with all of that. I have to believe she is, and that some male Republicans are too.

According to CNN the mystery speaker tonight is

Clint Eastwood. Get off of my porch! Make my day. I hope it's not on opposite his wife's reality show. GOP kicking butt and taking names!

As a journalist, this saddens me. The media, who are more content to get stuff out there as quickly as possible rather than holding public officials accountable, are as much to blame for this than the Republican brass.

Stop Worrying About The Romney Campaign's Erasing Whole Lines From Obama's "You Didn't Build That" Riff. They Are Simply Disappeared. | The New Republic

Next week we can post the entire speech and good luck trying to defend his "you didn't build that" comment. Especially in context of his policies and other jawdropping comments the past 4 years.

INDY, so you seem to be unbothered by Paul Ryan's blatant lies?

INDY, so you seem to be unbothered by Paul Ryan's blatant lies?

If by blatant lies you mean intentionally twisted interpretations, yes, I'm unbothered.

Ryan and His Panicky Critics - James C. Capretta - National Review Online

(edited by me)
These criticisms of Ryan’s speech are absurd. Everything Ryan said is factual and a fair reading of the record and prior events.

First, it is said that Ryan’s own budget cut Medicare by the same amount. But the Ryan budget not only repealed all of Obamacare’s spending, it also doesn’t specify the kinds of Medicare cuts Obamacare does: It calls for the same level of savings but doesn’t spend the money elsewhere and leaves room for Congress to pursue those savings in ways that don’t rely on price controls and the elimination of benefits.

Ryan’s critics are also up in arms over his mention of the closed GM plant in Janesville, Wis. They claim that Ryan blamed President Obama for the closing of the plant — but Ryan explicitly said that the plant was already closing when then-candidate Obama came to Janesville in 2008: “We were about to lose a major factory,” Ryan said last night.

But let’s step back and look at Ryan’s larger point. He was making the argument that, even with the Obama bailout, the Obama economy is so bad that the plant is still closed and, what’s worse, there’s no prospect that other vibrant industries will take its place. That’s absolutely a fair indictment of the Obama record, especially so because Obama went to the plant and promised hope and change in 2008.

Then there is the business of the U.S. credit downgrade and the Bowles-Simpson commission. Ryan pinned S&P’s decision to lower the credit rating for debt issued by the U.S. government on the president’s failure to lead on fiscal matters, and chastised him specifically for appointing the Bowles-Simpson commission and then doing nothing with the commission’s recommendations. Ryan’s critics say he is being hypocritical because Ryan himself also opposed the Bowles-Simpson recommendations.

But when Ryan opposed that plan (because it left in place Obamacare’s massive new entitlement spending), he proposed an alternative and passed it through the House of Representatives. What did President Obama do? Nothing. He appointed the commission to buy time during the 2010 campaign season, and then, in 2011, decided that leading on the deficit wasn’t in his political interest. So he proposed no plan of his own. And then when Ryan proposed his plan to actually head off a fiscal crisis, the president attacked it in the most partisan and demagogic terms possible. Is it any surprise, with this kind of behavior from the president, that the parties weren’t able to come to an amicable agreement? Any fair reading of the record shows that the president has abdicated his leadership responsibilities on fiscal matters. He richly deserves the blame for the downgrade.

Paul Ryan’s acceptance speech was a tour de force, and a clear success. One measure of that success is the intensity and emptiness of the attacks coming his way. The irony is that these attacks — intended to damage Ryan by undermining his credibility — are more likely to be seen by the electorate for what they really are: desperate and dishonest tactics from those willing to say and do anything to hang on to power.

Anything but a discussion of this president's economic record right? Anything but a discussion of his dismal failure to lead this country back to fiscal sanity.

The first thing a cult does is tell you everyone else is lying.

So, thanks for the dispatch from the Fox bubble. It's like listening to the Patty Hearst tapes.

I LOVED that. The fact that they couldn't figure out the contradiction in what they were saying was truly stunning.

But what the poor really need is opportunity, for better-paying jobs and mobility up the wage scale.

Can't argue with this. So are we going to get a proposal for such things from the Republicans that doesn't involve trickle-down economics and tax cuts for the rich (er, excuse me, "job creators")?

But what's got me very worried today is the blatant acceptance of post-truthiness that one feels creeping deeply into our national debate. Most -- not all -- of the news stories on the speeches from the convention -- and I'm sure this won't be limited to the Republicans -- focus on the emotional, the personal stories, the strategic (did the speech accomplish its goal...did is rally the base... did it appeal to [interest group]?), the political horse race.
And then there's this other section of the show or the newspaper-if you're lucky or interested in going there -- that asks... um... how much of what you just heard was true?
Think about this for a second. Just the fact that newspapers now need a fact-check section is itself evidence that we're deep into the post-truth era. There's the news... and then there's the question of how much of the news is true.
Jared Bernstein: America, We Have a Problem

It is sad that nothing can be trusted - the government, the media, even book authors have to be closely examined to understand where they are coming from in order to determine if what they wrote is factual. There is no real journalism anymore, its all PR, marketing and basic BS. At the same time, its all a big war - minus the violence - for power.

But hey, its human nature. Propaganda is nothing new, its always been there. It just feels so crushing these days because we're surrounded by the media these days - TV, the internet, Twitter, etc.

The first thing a cult does is tell you everyone else is lying.

So, thanks for the dispatch from the Fox bubble.

The Fox bubble, so unlike the objective, non-partisan New Republic bubble you posted from on the previous page.

It's like listening to the Patty Hearst tapes.

Patty's Marxist, anti-American rants were the result of being kidnapped and brainwashed by the Symbionese Liberation Army at the age of 19.

What's your excuse?

I'm about 30 minutes behind on my dvr

Romney's entrance was good, very much like a SOTU entrance.

I have never been a Rubio fan, But I will say I was impressed with his speaking ability, Probably one to watch.

Romney's best advocates, have been everyone else. He seems like a much more decent and capable person than what he comes across as when he is speaking. I really think he does not like to toot his own horn.

Romney and the GOP need to bowl a perfect game to win. No margin for error.

I think it is possible for them to win. This has been a very good convention for the GOP.

If Romney pulls a rabbit out of the hat and wins, he will owe a part of that success to John Stewart and his lemmings.

INDY500 said:
The Fox bubble, so unlike the objective, non-partisan New Republic bubble you posted from on the previous page.

Dude, Ryan's lies were homepage news this morning across most media outlets including Fox News, as was posted in here this morning.

Sensing distress among the ranks, the NRO dispatched its hacks to get to work and give people such as yourself something to hold on to.

I'll also add that I read The Corner frequently (NRO's opinion page) Soni well know from whence INDY posts.

Kathryn Jean Lopez is absolutely unmissable. Her post today about "Ryan at prayer" has to be read to be believed.

And remember, these are the people who will tell you the truth. No one else. The rest of the media is liberal and they lie.

Back
Top Bottom