Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #451
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This is patently absurd. The goal is not a Godless society. The goal is a government that doesn't sponsor religion. You know the difference, but you don't agree that it exists because you are trying to accuse the left of the dog whistles, without a hint of irony.
See the post after yours. I respect Trojanchick for at least being honest.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #452
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the superstitious folk in flyover country do realize Hussein Obama told the party to put those things back in, right?
He approved it's removal and then scurried to repair the damage. If he wins he'll have "more flexibility" after the election to thumb his nose at God-fearing and pro-Israel Democrats.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #453
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Flyover country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
And this is coming from someone who lives in "flyover country", too, thank you.
Me three...I think most people that care about such things were never going to vote for Obama anyway.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #454
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

And somehow Trojanchick is more representative of democrats because... ?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I really wish people would stop getting so obsessed over how much God is mentioned in politics. You can talk about him all you want and invoke his name as often as you please, doesn't automatically prove you're more religious than someone else or that you're more equipped to run things or whatever.

Besides that, didn't Jesus have some thoughts on not being showy with one's faith?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Yeah, one registered Democrat does not a party make. I recognize that I am in the minority in this country. I stand by my belief that religion should be kept out of government, but I have no issue with people practicing whatever religion they believe. Hell, I don't care if there's a Christmas/Holiday tree in the White House as that particular holiday has become very secular.

I also think the people who booed the inclusion of God and Jerusalem into the platform were disrespectful.

The Democratic party is extremely diverse. There are Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, Pagans, and well probably many other religions as well. I embrace that diversity. I just don't want the religious beliefs of one group to infringe on my rights. How upset would you be if a Hindu decided to ban beef? Or a Jew banned pork for everyone? This is how I feel when the religious right try to legislate my uterus and forbid people I love from marrying the people they love.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #457
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
He approved it's removal and then scurried to repair the damage. If he wins he'll have "more flexibility" after the election to thumb his nose at God-fearing and pro-Israel Democrats.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #458
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Yeah, one registered Democrat does not a party make. I recognize that I am in the minority in this country. I stand by my belief that religion should be kept out of government, but I have no issue with people practicing whatever religion they believe.
I think that this is the perspective of most on the left, or at least those on the left with whom I regularly speak. I do not know a single person who identifies as liberal who also has said that he or she wants religion abolished or removed from American culture life. Yet somehow there are circles in the right who for whatever reason see the left like this:

Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New Age Of Liberal Darkness' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

The problem to me is when "freedom of religion" becomes equated with everyone needing to celebrate that religion or acquiesce to its moral precepts.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #459
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
As a truly godless heathen from New Sodom AKA Los Angeles, I was happy they initially took the word God out of the platform. I dream of the day the US is a secularly governed country where people's religious beliefs aren't foisted upon me.
A "secularly governed country where people's religious beliefs aren't foisted upon me" is not a "godless society" it is merely a secularly governed country. Nothing in that says no one can believe in god...just that the nation is governed in a secular as opposed to a religious manner. That isn't really that hard to comprehend, is it?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #460
45:33

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra

A "secularly governed country where people's religious beliefs aren't foisted upon me" is not a "godless society" it is merely a secularly governed country. Nothing in that says no one can believe in god...just that the nation is governed in a secular as opposed to a religious manner. That isn't really that hard to comprehend, is it?
and nothing is going to isolate atheist voters quicker than bible bashing. Thank goodness I live in a secular country. Now if only we could get rid of our pesky British overlords, I'd be happy.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
She agreed with me! She dreams of a day with a secularly governed country, not an exclusively secular society. Again, there is a huge difference. Society is not just its government. I figure you of all people would appreciate that notion.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #462

Hey quick question... I see there is also a Greens candidate, and a Libertarian candidate running for election. Would the more left of you here consider voting for either one of them? How many votes do they usually get? Is it pointless?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #463
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Many people do say it's often pointless, because they mess with the voting of one of the two main candidates often or something like that.

But I don't really care about that. If I like what I hear from a candidate in one of those third parties, sure, yeah, I'd vote for them-even if their chances are small, it never hurts to throw your support out there and see what happens.

The big problem with the third party candidates here in the States is that they hardly ever get any airtime on TV. They're never invited to be part of the main debates with the Democratic and Republican candidates, either, which I think is kind of bullshit. So in order to find out they're even running, let alone find out what their stances are on various issues, you generally pretty much have to check out their websites or catch them if they happen to pass through your area.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #464

That's a shame. Would be good to see them have big televised conferences too.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #465
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Hey quick question... I see there is also a Greens candidate, and a Libertarian candidate running for election. Would the more left of you here consider voting for either one of them? How many votes do they usually get? Is it pointless?
This is why I like voting in Australia and New Zealand: it's not winner-take-all, and third parties matter. You actually have to make a real effort to waste your vote, especially for the Australian Senate or on the New Zealand party list.

So glad I don't get to "enjoy" voting in the US. I'd hate to have a choice of just centre-right versus far-right.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote