2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Can you imagine the type of slander that would have come Obama's way, or any Democrat's way, if they were to completely ignore the troops? We'd be hearing all about how this is another sign of them hating America and hating the troops.
Yep-that's 100% correct

Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #392
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'll have to get back to you after I'm done running a sub-3 hour marathon.
Sarah Palin actually has at least one faster marathon time than he does. I don't trust people who lie about something like that. Maybe he just "misremembered" (over one hour faster is some vast misremembering). Or maybe he's very insecure.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #393
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:06 PM
a devotee of Ayn Rand would have to be exceptional
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #394
Blue Crack Addict

Eastwood talks about convention chat with chair
AP / September 7, 2012

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clint Eastwood said the idea to use an empty seat as a prop at the Republican National Convention was a spur-of-the-moment decision when someone backstage asked him if he wanted to sit down.

In his first interview since he attended the convention to pledge his support for Mitt Romney, Eastwood told the Carmel Pine Cone, a small California weekly newspaper, that his speech was not only unscripted, it was pretty much spontaneous.

‘‘There was a stool there, and some fella kept asking me if I wanted to sit down,’’ Eastwood told the newspaper, which published the article Friday. ‘‘When I saw the stool sitting there, it gave me the idea. I'll just put the stool out there and I'll talk to Mr. Obama and ask him why he didn’t keep all of the promises he made to everybody.’’

Eastwood’s peculiar, sometimes rambling conversation with an imaginary President Barack Obama in an empty chair set the blogosphere and social media ablaze. His appearance was intended to be a ringing endorsement for Romney, but the esteemed 82-year-old actor and director opened himself up to ridicule.

Eastwood said he achieved what he set out to do and got across three points.

‘‘That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job,’’ Eastwood said. ‘‘But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.’’

Eastwood’s longtime manager, Leonard Hirshan, told The Associated Press he was not aware of the Pine Cone newspaper article. ‘‘You’re telling me something for the first time,’’ he said. Hirshan stressed that as a manager, he wouldn’t necessarily know about Eastwood’s dealings with the media. The actor has no publicist.

While Eastwood said his presentation was ‘‘very unorthodox,’’ that was his intent from the outset and he had plenty of people giving him advice on what to say.

‘‘Everybody had advice for me, except the janitor,’’ Eastwood said.

Eastwood said he was told to speak for five minutes but he said it was difficult to gauge time and there weren’t any signals or cues telling him to wrap up.

Romney and his running mate, Paul Ryan, later came backstage to thank him.

‘‘They were very enthusiastic, and we were all laughing,’’ Eastwood said.

Eastwood, who stars in the upcoming movie ‘‘Trouble with the Curve,’’ maintains Obama doesn’t deserve a second term as president.

‘‘President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,’’ Eastwood said. ‘‘Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.’’
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #395
Blue Crack Addict

I think some of those Google April Fool's jokes were better hoaxes than Obama, but that's just me.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #396
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Eastwood talks about convention chat with chair
AP / September 7, 2012

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clint Eastwood said the idea to use an empty seat as a prop at the Republican National Convention was a spur-of-the-moment decision when someone backstage asked him if he wanted to sit down.

In his first interview since he attended the convention to pledge his support for Mitt Romney, Eastwood told the Carmel Pine Cone, a small California weekly newspaper, that his speech was not only unscripted, it was pretty much spontaneous.

‘‘There was a stool there, and some fella kept asking me if I wanted to sit down,’’ Eastwood told the newspaper, which published the article Friday. ‘‘When I saw the stool sitting there, it gave me the idea. I'll just put the stool out there and I'll talk to Mr. Obama and ask him why he didn’t keep all of the promises he made to everybody.’’

Eastwood’s peculiar, sometimes rambling conversation with an imaginary President Barack Obama in an empty chair set the blogosphere and social media ablaze. His appearance was intended to be a ringing endorsement for Romney, but the esteemed 82-year-old actor and director opened himself up to ridicule.

Eastwood said he achieved what he set out to do and got across three points.

‘‘That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job,’’ Eastwood said. ‘‘But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.’’

Eastwood’s longtime manager, Leonard Hirshan, told The Associated Press he was not aware of the Pine Cone newspaper article. ‘‘You’re telling me something for the first time,’’ he said. Hirshan stressed that as a manager, he wouldn’t necessarily know about Eastwood’s dealings with the media. The actor has no publicist.

While Eastwood said his presentation was ‘‘very unorthodox,’’ that was his intent from the outset and he had plenty of people giving him advice on what to say.

‘‘Everybody had advice for me, except the janitor,’’ Eastwood said.

Eastwood said he was told to speak for five minutes but he said it was difficult to gauge time and there weren’t any signals or cues telling him to wrap up.

Romney and his running mate, Paul Ryan, later came backstage to thank him.

‘‘They were very enthusiastic, and we were all laughing,’’ Eastwood said.

Eastwood, who stars in the upcoming movie ‘‘Trouble with the Curve,’’ maintains Obama doesn’t deserve a second term as president.

‘‘President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,’’ Eastwood said. ‘‘Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.’’

I read the article this morning. Thanks for sharing here.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
John Kerry made this point:

Bill Kristol has criticized Romney for the same but generally on the right there have been crickets. Can you imagine the type of slander that would have come Obama's way, or any Democrat's way, if they were to completely ignore the troops? We'd be hearing all about how this is another sign of them hating America and hating the troops.

You could de,liver electrical power to a major Major American City; like Chicago, LA or NYC for a whole year with that amount of reactive engergy!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #398
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

"Over and over again we're told by our opponents that bigger tax cuts and fewer regulations are the only way to go and that since government can't do everything it should do almost nothing."

Give me a break.
How is this not the very argument you yourself have been making in this forum ever since I can remember?

What government spending have you been on record as supporting, other than defense? What regulations have you supported? Which tax cuts have you opposed?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

this map looks good to me,
I think the only for sure pick up for Romney is NC
I think the debates will be a bit like the conventions, each side will do about as expected, Obama/ Biden will do a little better and the decision will be they have a slight edge. Economy will stay about the same, no Europe melt down before election. Also, I don't expect Israel to go nutzo and bomb Iran.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #400
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Nothing ever happens.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #401
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It's quite interesting how variable your concern over the truth is, Indy. Well, not variable, really, as it consistently crops up when its in response to statements made by those of the opposing political viewpoint, and is conspicuously absent in response to those who share your viewpoint.
I know Bill Clinton lies. He looked into the camera and lied to Americans, he lied to a federal judge and he lied under oath.

I'm predisposed not to trust what he says.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #402
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
That wasn't a lie. The deceptive part was the fact that Ryan's budget would do more or less the same. Oh, and then gradually drive Medicare into uselessness for those under 55 (you know, the demographic that isn't an enormous component of the GOP base and receiving pork for it).
1) Obama spends the 700 billion on his new entitlement program, Ryan uses it to pay down the debt. Not the same.

2) If you have a problem with Ryan's omissions of the whole truth you have to have the same problem with Bill Clinton when he says:

"In Tampa, the Republican argument against the president's re-election was pretty simple: We left him a total mess, he hasn't finished cleaning it up yet, so fire him and put us back in."

You have to flag Clinton for not mentioning that the seeds of the "total mess", the housing collapse, were planted during his presidency in the form of the Community Reinvestment Act and other pressures applied to the banking industry.

That's my only point.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #403
Blue Crack Supplier

So you're agreeing that much of the deregulation of the 1990s hurt us in both the 2001 recession as well as the near collapse in 2008?

Just want to be clear on that, as we construct an argument for a man who wants to cut even more taxes on the wealthy, deregulate even further, spend even more on defense, and start a war with Iran.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

Clinton
1. admits 2. regrets 3. apologizes

Quote:
Sunday, April 18, 2010
The Debts of the Spenders: Bill Clinton Regrets Repeal of Glass Steagall
Former US President Bill Clinton admitted to bad judgment in a tv interview. Specifically, Clinton blamed Robert Rubin and Larry Summers for deceiving him about the risks of unregulated derivatives products. Under Clinton, the Depression era Glass Steagall Act that separated banking activities from trading was dissolved.

Provisions that prohibit a bank holding company from owning other financial companies were repealed on November 12, 1999, by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, named after the influential senators who were bought and paid for by the banking community. As for Robert Rubin, immediately after his term as Treasury Secretary expired, he was appointed head of Citigroup Travellers with a $1 billion/annual paycheck. Completely coincidental? You decide.

Clinton also said that Republicans who controlled Congress would have stopped him from trying to regulate derivatives. “I wish I had been caught trying,” Clinton said. “I mean, that was a mistake I made.”
Clinton: I Was Wrong to Listen to Wrong Advice Against Regulating Derivatives* - ABC News
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #405
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
So you're agreeing that much of the deregulation of the 1990s hurt us in both the 2001 recession as well as the near collapse in 2008?
It wasn't deregulation it was the government forcing banks to make loans against their better judgement due to mythical redlining. It was Fannie Mae stepping in with government subsidizing to buy up these toxic loans.

Wall St played a role but it was under the supervision of regulatory boards and, from 2006 - 2008, the Congressional Banking Committee led by Barney Frank.