2012 Conventions; Tampa & Charlotte - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #316
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
So? They're Americans first. You want to put another nation's security above our own? Go live there and get the hell out!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Bill Clinton is an incredible public speaker. He is gifted at explaining complex policy.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Apparently large portions of the speech were entirely improvised.

The biggest political talent of my lifetime (so far).
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I am hoping it is Biden that brings an empty chair.

I'm one of the few people that actually like Biden. I think his 'gaffes' are total exaggerations in lieu of comedians/satirists having the sack to make fun of a Black President. Or in the media's case, to criticize to any meaningful degree.

That's how the media show their 'impartiality', by piling on Biden.
i like Bidden, too. there's gaff here & thwere...but he seems to work hard.. he with Michele have done seriuos work for the wounded warriors and seeking new jobs, education....

he's got seriuos cred on World issues.... and a down too earth background
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #320
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Apparently large portions of the speech were entirely improvised.

The biggest political talent of my lifetime (so far).
too bad he screwed the gays over
Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I'm not sure what I find more amusing: Obama's speech being moved indoors due to "empty seats" or Democratic delegates booing God and Jerusalem being put back in their party platform.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/3872849
ya know why some Democrats "booed God" ?

Because they are tired of Uber Right Wing Republicans trying to shove their idea of God and the way God "should be" and the way "He" should be Worshipped down the throats of everyone else's personal religious, spiritual, or ethical humanistic views. That's why.

they are the American Taliban along witrh some Uber Right Catholics.... and not much if a fan of Ultra-Orthodox Jews either Except THEY (usually) don't go around trying to shove their religion down non-Jewish folks! That's goys, people.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #322
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
I pledge allegiance to the UNITED STATES not the state of Israel. There's no reason to put Jerusalem in any party platform unless you're bowing to AIPAC. They've got the money and guns- let them sort out their own shit.
ugh AIPAC .......

what's SO deffieciant and sad is that in Israel there's much more of a broader debate between Ultra-Religous, Religious, more Reform and probably some secular Jews and a very much Active Peace Movement, and Jews already working with Palestinian Peace & cooperation people through the years....
...not that many non-Jewish Americans even know this !!!

How do I know this?

I'm not Jewish, I just play one on TV!

j/k.... i spent a lot of years my later kid, tween & teen years ESP when we first moved into the middle section of the area there... it was? oh 60-65% Jewish. A mix of secular, Reform, Conservative but not Ultra-Orthadox Jews!

It was great fun when they're be the High Holy Days ( Sept - Oct depending on older Calander) and the rest of us... some Protestians, a lot of various Ethnic Catholics: Irish, Greek, and anti-Castro Cubans and Puerto Ricans Catholics too.....
and there'd be only 35-30% in the class!

Anyway i'm a native NYC'r, there's big a big Jewish presense and concentrated in certain neighborhoods more than others, so sort of picked up some of the lingo.....
Israel could do no wrong.

Over the decades i learned a way more nuanced view. I still support their Statehood alot, but their are issues of fairness & abuse etc that have not been well adressed.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Bill Clinton is an incredible public speaker. He is gifted at explaining complex policy.
He really has a way of being animated, funny and clear-spoken wonkiness all in one!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #324
45:33

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Just watching Clinton's speech now. Pretty gripping stuff, the man is very good at this. And to me it looks like a hell of a lot of it was off the top of his head, even if he knew what he was going to talk about. Amazing.

Also loved that the second time he mentioned the GOP was to praise the efforts of previous Republican presidents and promote cooperation, rather than attacking them.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Is Bill Clinton still speaking? Couldn't make it through the whole thing.

He's thinner than ever.

48 minutes. How long was his infamously long speech? Can't remember.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

I really, really feel, without the support of polls or anything of the sort, that this election is essentially all but over for Mitt Romney.

What a stark contrast between the conventions. How clear it is that one party is living in decades past.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram
I really, really feel, without the support of polls or anything of the sort, that this election is essentially all but over for Mitt Romney.

What a stark contrast between the conventions. How clear it is that one party is living in decades past.
It'll be interesting to see what polls do next week. They've been inching towards a dead tie since the GOP convention started, but there's likely a convention bump in there, of course. Whether you chalk it up to press bias or a legitimately better performance, the DNC has had two nights in a row of good press, with Clinton's speech doing a lot to overshadow Obama's speech moving inside and the party platform shenanigans. Much better than Clint Eastwood's bizarre circus act and Paul Ryan's lies (as noted the morning after by Fox News).
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #328
Blue Crack Addict

You can't make this stuff up. Almost as awkward as Clinton/Obama after the "Obama would have been getting us coffee/carrying our bags" comments.

ABC News’ Michael Falcone reports:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — This could get awkward.

Rabbi David Wolpe of Los Angeles’ Sinai Temple, where Monica Lewinsky and her family were congregation members for decades and where Lewinsky attended religious school, is scheduled to deliver the benediction at the Democratic National Convention tonight — not long after Bill Clinton speaks.

Not only was Wolpe the Lewinsky family’s rabbi, he also sharply condemned President Clinton at the time his sexual relationship with Lewinsky, then a 24-year-old White House intern, was dominating national headlines.

“He was a brilliant, talented, extraordinary child, and for the leader of the United States we need an adult,” Rabbi Wolpe told his temple, according to a 1998 Associated Press account. He said Clinton needed to “cleanse his soul.”

And other news reports from the time noted that Wolpe accused Clinton of hiding behind a “flinty legalistic apology,” for his romantic dalliances with the young intern.

President Clinton will deliver a much-anticipated speech on Wednesday to close out the convention’s second night.

According to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency: “Wolpe said his prayer on Wednesday evening will focus on the ideals animating the United States. … This year, Wolpe was named the most influential rabbi in America by Newsweek magazine and one of the 50 most influential Jews in the world by The Jerusalem Post. He is the author of seven books, and is widely known as a newspaper columnist and radio and television commentator.”

In 2009, Wolpe wrote a commentary in the Washington Post reflecting on the episode, which resulted in Clinton’s impeachment but not his removal from office: “During the Lewinsky scandal, it was the lying and smearing of Monica Lewinsky that marked the low point of the event, not the sex, which was primarily an issue for the individuals and families involved.”
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

Oh Ann, you are so funny

Ann Coulter sent a controversial tweet about President Bill Clinton and Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke during the Democratic National Convention on Thursday.

Shortly after 8:00 p.m., Coulter tweeted:

@AnnCoulter

Bill Clinton just impregnated Sandra Fluke backstage...

When a follower responded to Coulter, asking if Fluke was "the most exciting speaker at the DNC tonight," Coulter responded, "They're spicing things up with a live abortion on stage!"
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #330
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Bill Clinton is a rock star. He is the only reason I watched any of the DNC (didn't watch the Republicans at all) For the rest of the speeches I can scan the texts online, but I don't like to miss a Clinton performance no matter how long winded he might be. The Clintons are the only politicians left who still move me.

That being said, I'll be reading the factchecks.