2012: any third party contenders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron Paul has just stepped up his war of rhetoric with his nemesis the Archchairsatan Rudolf Vissarionovich von Bernankestein (because never before have we had a genocidal central planner hell bent on printing the world's fate out of a deflationary collapse), and in an interview with Larry Kudlow said what everyone who is watching the day after day melt up (and wondering what comes next) openly thinks: that when all is said and done, and there is no incremental vapor and no incremental HFT levitation effect, that the US collapse will be comparable only to that of the Soviet Union. Needless to say, we are confident he is optimistic. Some economic observations from Paul: "We have so much unemployment, it is so undercounted. The free market economists report that there is probably 22% of unemployment. They pumped in $4 trillion, they should have added a lot of jobs, but how much did it cost us, and that of course is the price inflation that will come. We are moving into another 30 year period where we are going to see a reversal of interest rates, and we are going to see a crashing of the bonds like we saw 30 years ago and it's going to last a long, long time. The Fed deserves the blame for the inflation, and for the unemployment." On the amount of damage done by the Fed: "I think it's unimaginable, it could be so devastating, and could bring a strong, worldwide run on the dollar. We are in uncharted territories. I think we will see changes in our economy and our country almost equivalent to the change that occurred in the Soviet system. I think it will bring down our empire, we won't be able to afford our welfare state, and we won't be able to afford taking care of the world." And as Zero Hedge suggested previously, Ron Paul believes that the Fed's policies will actually lead to a spike in unemployment when all is said and done. Lastly, on Ron Paul view of Bernanke's central planning:"One time when Greenspan was before the committee, I told him if you can make this fiat system work as if it is the market system working, you have repealed economic law. It is positively baffling that we as a country have accepted that one individual can control the economy... I'd like to get the monopoly power away from this cartel that pretends that they know how to run the entire economy."

Ron Paul Says Next US Crash Will Be Comparable To That Of Soviet Union, Claims QE2 Is "Total Failure" And Fed Is A "Central Planning Cartel" | zero hedge

I think there are a lot of shifts and changes going on in the United States right now.

A lot of stuff churning and being spit.

A crossroads of do we stick with the original idea of our country or do we go a totally different direction?

Ron Paul is a speaker at this moment.
I am glad that some young people are thinking about this.

Libertarian Party | Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government

Oh, I do hope the Tea Party will field a candidate of their own! :macdevil:

I think Mr. Nader might run in the nation-wide election for a fourth time (he also ran in the Democratic Primary in 1992 and just in California in 1996). I voted for Nader in 2004 and 2008 and plan to do so once again. However, if he does run this time, it won't be easy street like 2008. Since this election will be much closer than the last one, I'd expect the Democrats to result to their old tactics of illegally keeping him off various state ballots. This will again show just how anti-democracy that party can happen to be and Nader will inevitably win a bunch of the state lawsuits he files, just like in '04.

It is uncertain the future of political parties in the US, considering at how many political issues and disagreements are at the moment between the Democrats and Republicans.

Third parties might at some point take power, but the electoral college makes it extremely difficult for their candidates to get on the ballot.

I don't see a third party candidate doing anything earth-shaking.

The U.S. political system is set up to make things as difficult as possible for a 3rd party, because it's controlled by the two major parties.

It is uncertain the future of political parties in the US, considering at how many political issues and disagreements are at the moment between the Democrats and Republicans.

Third parties might at some point take power, but the electoral college makes it extremely difficult for their candidates to get on the ballot.

I think the Dems are more united right now than they have been in a while--which is NOT saying much.

I would love to see the Electoral College go away. It is doing the opposite of what people claim it does these days. Does anyone campaign in Wyoming? Idaho? Delaware? Rhode Island? or even Massachusetts?

Republicans should be licking their chops at the prospect of popular vote totals from California alone. If we elected President by popular vote, the candidates would want to campaign everywhere because the votes would follow and add up nicely.

Look at Minnesota for our previous 4 Governor elections. Third parties have made a difference each time (and won one of them).

The U.S. political system is set up to make things as difficult as possible for a 3rd party, because it's controlled by the two major parties.

I think 2012 could see a "Ralph Nader 2000" effect for the Republicans. Not that Obama can't win a comfortable victory, but there are plenty of states where it'll be tight enough that 5 percent to a third party could switch the state from Blue to Red.

Does anyone campaign in Wyoming?

Nope. Obviously you can vote Democrat in Wyoming if you want, but it's so heavily Republican it's pretty much a moot decision in the end anyway, and since both parties know that, nobody bothers with campaigning. And you and I are fully in agreement on the whole thing with the Electoral College and such as well, so yeah, well said on your post there.

In some ways it's surprising that Ron Paul would attract younger voters, because, well, he's NOT young, to put it frankly, but in some ways it's not, too, because there are occasional areas here and there where he does stray from the traditional Republican mantras and rhetoric, and young people usually tend to find that refreshing.

Angela

I think Mr. Nader might run in the nation-wide election for a fourth time (he also ran in the Democratic Primary in 1992 and just in California in 1996). I voted for Nader in 2004 and 2008 and plan to do so once again. However, if he does run this time, it won't be easy street like 2008. Since this election will be much closer than the last one, I'd expect the Democrats to result to their old tactics of illegally keeping him off various state ballots. This will again show just how anti-democracy that party can happen to be and Nader will inevitably win a bunch of the state lawsuits he files, just like in '04.

did you vote for Nader in 2000?

if so, this is all your fault.

In some ways it's surprising that Ron Paul would attract younger voters, because, well, he's NOT young, to put it frankly, but in some ways it's not, too, because there are occasional areas here and there where he does stray from the traditional Republican mantras and rhetoric, and young people usually tend to find that refreshing.
Ron Paul had a lot of internet grassroots support in the last GOP nomination cycle.

In my eyes he skews much more Libertarian than Republican, and got a lot of support from those tired of the usual Washington B.S. Also helps that he doesn't think it's the government's job to tell you what you can smoke or who you can give money to for sex.

In my eyes he skews much more Libertarian than Republican, and got a lot of support from those tired of the usual Washington B.S. Also helps that he doesn't think it's the government's job to tell you what you can smoke or who you can give money to for sex.

But, he's not afraid to tell you what you CANNOT do with your body:

Anti-abortion
Ron Paul on the Issues

Not a very Libertarian stance.

He still has that liberal-minded ideology, but he has always been republican since the 1988 presidential election. All candidates know that young people have the lowest voting turnout, and hence they try to throw some liberal ideas to the young audiences for an insignificant number of votes.

How would third party candidates gain attention if they have no money for campaigning?

:applaud:

It would be right if the debates would allow third party candidates to talk and be seen by the public.

The only time that happened was when Ross Perot was running.
They let him participate.

He had the $$$.

What "liberal-minded idealogy" does he have?

He throws around false information that falls into the category of liberalism, like supporting abortion for example.

It's the people who work for things the ones that make the difference expected by everyone, not the politicians.

He throws around false information that falls into the category of liberalism, like supporting abortion for example.

It's the people who work for things the ones that make the difference expected by everyone, not the politicians.

But he doesn't support abortion.

Back
Top Bottom