2010 - U S Midterm Elections - opinions - results - what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. Quit using that bullshit talking point, and provide real examples.

Obama has done nothing to my knowledge that infringes on my rights.

It's nothing but a catch phrase to these types of voters, but when you start asking them specifics, they run.

Yet, they still have the right to vote. :shrug:

They don't need facts, someone just tells them it was unconstitutional and that's good enough for them.

A conspiracy theory website will give them some anecdotal evidence and it's now the truth.

You don't need to think if someone does it for you.

And of course voting in a bunch of Republicans will make it all better

Washington (CNN) -- The number of Americans who say things are going badly in the country, at 75 percent, is higher than it has been on the eve of any midterm election since the question was first asked in the mid-1970s, according to a new national poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday also indicates that the economy remains, by far, the top issue on the minds of Americans. Fifty-two percent of people questioned say the economy's the most important issue facing the country.

"That's more than the deficit, education, health care, terrorism, energy, illegal immigration and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq combined," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "No other issue was named as the country's top problem by more than 8 percent."

The top concern remains unemployment, with 58 percent saying it's the most important economic issue facing the country today, followed by the deficit at 20 percent, and taxes and mortgages tied at 8 percent each.

Get the most comprehensive polling data available at CNN's Polling Center

Just one in four polled Americans say things are going well in the country today, with three-quarters saying things are going poorly.

"Even in 1994, when the Republicans last took control, and in 2006, when control flipped back to the Democrats, roughly half the public was satisfied with the state of the nation," adds Holland. "Only 25 percent say that things are going well in the country today, and voters appear poised to take it out on the Democrats on Tuesday."

Despite the current gloom, 55 percent say that things will be going well in the country a year from now, and 78 percent believe that things are going well in their own personal lives.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted October 27-30, with 1,006 adult Americans -- including 921 registered voters and 542 likely voters -- questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

So if that high a group of people think things are going well in their personal lives, how do they also figure that things are going bad in the country at large?

I guess I figure it this way-if this country managed to survive the Great Depression, and any other economic hardships it's experienced over the years, we'll make it through this one, too. My fear isn't that we won't get out of this mess, my fear is that once we do, will people learn from this so we don't get ourselves into this fiasco yet again?

Ah finally a partisan campaign ad I can actually agree with. It'd be really interesting to see how US politics would be if the Democrats had a PR wing as effective as the right.

YouTube - STUNNING - 'I REMEMBER, SO I'M VOTING, AND NOT REPUBLICAN.'

That is an awesome ad. Pretty much sums up my thoughts-unfortunately a lot of the Republicans running in my state do cling to the mindsets/actions that the people in that ad stated as problems. And as such, I can't vote for them because of that. My favorite line was from the one guy who mentioned remembering which party was in power during each big bank crisis since 1900-seriously, no kidding, odd coincidence much?

It would be incredibly fascinating to see the Democrats with a strong PR, no question. This "don't give them the keys back" mantra they're using now is...kind of limp, to put it mildly. They don't even need to get personal and do mudslinging, they could just use all the facts at their disposal about the faulty leadership of the Republicans, and you'd think that'd be more than enough to convince everyone. It really should not be that hard.

Angela

Well, I've voted already (absentee, since I haven't registered in Franklin Co. since moving from Dayton).

Not sending any Republicans to Washington if I can help it. Anyone who uses the phrase "ObamaCare" or uses "Pelosi" as a slur has neither my vote nor my respect. I feel the Republican party has truly been a disappointment since Obama's election.

Locally, however, it's a different story. I'm about evenly split, with perhaps an edge to the Republicans for various state offices here in Ohio. I even ended up voting for Kasich though it galled me to do so. It's just that our current governor really squandered to an opportunity to show real leadership during a tough time in Ohio, and I think we need someone different in the governors mansion right now. Hopefully I won't come to regret that vote.

I even voted for a Libertarian! The Dem and GOP candidates for State Treasurer are just awful. I was so disgusted with both that I actually researched the Libertarian candidate, a guy named Matthew Cantrell. I liked what I saw! Granted if the mainstream candidates weren't such losers I probably would never have given Cantrell as second glance, but he actually sounds really good. (He looks like he's about 12 years old, but all three candidates are quite young).

Do 3rd party candidates ever win in OH for statewide office? What are the polls saying?

Yes, I do get that is is nice to vote our conscience, for the most decent candidate. But if the race will only be won by a Dem or a GOP candidate. And one you agree with 20% of the time and the other 45% of the time, the 45% candidate is your better choice. Better than a 3rd party that you agree with 90% of the time. Why? because if the independent can only get 5% of the vote you will never get the benefit of your 90 % agreement with him.

Also, if the 20% candidate wins, he will vote against your interest 4 out of 5 times. The 45% candidate will vote your interest almost 1 out of 2 votes.

That 25% difference, could be the vote that carries the day on an issue that is most important to you.

Agreeing with deep here.

When Republicans and Democrats have legislated out third party candidates' chances, there really is such a thing as a wasted vote.

I wonder if we'll ever see decent campaign finance reform in the States. Probably not, considering Washington runs on special interests.

Tomorrow 3rd parties* can win some races. In Alaska, the write-in Senate candidate may upset Palin's tea-party GOP Candidate Joe Miller.

Also, it looked like independent Crist was going to beat GOP candidate Rubio in Florida, he will come in 2nd with the Dem Meeks 3rd.

*What we really have is independents that choose to align themselves with one of the major parties after the election.

The main thing to consider on a local/state level is redistricting from the new 2010 Census data.

Several states are going to lose or gain seats in the House of Reps., so expect plenty of bullshit surrounding redrawing the district lines.

This really is the key, could be the most important thing to watch tomorrow.

Currently we have 26 Dems to 24 GOP Governors.

In most of the 50 states the Governor has a lot of influence with redistricting.

The GOP is expected to end up with 30 Governorships, with a win in Ohio you can expect to see the districts drawn to favor the GOP big time in both Congressional districts and State legislator seats. The GOP will end up with a pretty good grip on Ohio politics for the next ten years.

Well, I've voted already (absentee, since I haven't registered in Franklin Co. since moving from Dayton).

Not sending any Republicans to Washington if I can help it. Anyone who uses the phrase "ObamaCare" or uses "Pelosi" as a slur has neither my vote nor my respect. I feel the Republican party has truly been a disappointment since Obama's election.

Locally, however, it's a different story. I'm about evenly split, with perhaps an edge to the Republicans for various state offices here in Ohio. I even ended up voting for Kasich though it galled me to do so. It's just that our current governor really squandered to an opportunity to show real leadership during a tough time in Ohio, and I think we need someone different in the governors mansion right now. Hopefully I won't come to regret that vote.

I even voted for a Libertarian! The Dem and GOP candidates for State Treasurer are just awful. I was so disgusted with both that I actually researched the Libertarian candidate, a guy named Matthew Cantrell. I liked what I saw! Granted if the mainstream candidates weren't such losers I probably would never have given Cantrell as second glance, but he actually sounds really good. (He looks like he's about 12 years old, but all three candidates are quite young).

I will be voting for Strickland, solely because I think Obama is going to need a Democrat in the Ohio governor's mansion in 2012. Obama must get re-elected.

I am depressed at the thought of John Boehner being the Speaker of the House. I am worried that this new congress is going to be like the congress of the late 90s, which was one of the most disgusting congresses in recent history.

This really is the key, could be the most important thing to watch tomorrow.

Currently we have 26 Dems to 24 GOP Governors.

In most of the 50 states the Governor has a lot of influence with redistricting.

The GOP is expected to end up with 30 Governorships, with a win in Ohio you can expect to see the districts drawn to favor the GOP big time in both Congressional districts and State legislator seats. The GOP will end up with a pretty good grip on Ohio politics for the next ten years.

I'm hyper-aware of this since Republicans in Minnesota (Gov. Tim Pawlenty chief among them) have been trying to lump Minneapolis and St. Paul into one super-Democratic district and trim the suburban edges into the more moderate to conservative, middle- to outer-suburban districts. Currently, our Metro area is 2 congressional districts, and each include some 1st ring suburbs.

We have a pretty good government in Minnesota, and people here are active. It scares to think of how some of the other states will be redistricted with their less-engaged populations, Arizona and Florida chief among them.

I can't remember which states are most likely to loose Congressional seats, but watch for the edges of urban areas to be combined with more conservative suburban districts in the redrawing.

For some dumb, fucking reason we are restricted to 435 seats to represent us in the House, when in reality we need 5-10 times that many Reps. in total. Fewer Reps. means fewer doors to knock on and fewer checks to write for lobbyists.

Do 3rd party candidates ever win in OH for statewide office? What are the polls saying?

Yes, I do get that is is nice to vote our conscience, for the most decent candidate. But if the race will only be won by a Dem or a GOP candidate. And one you agree with 20% of the time and the other 45% of the time, the 45% candidate is your better choice. Better than a 3rd party that you agree with 90% of the time. Why? because if the independent can only get 5% of the vote you will never get the benefit of your 90 % agreement with him.

Also, if the 20% candidate wins, he will vote against your interest 4 out of 5 times. The 45% candidate will vote your interest almost 1 out of 2 votes.

That 25% difference, could be the vote that carries the day on an issue that is most important to you.

This is for State Treasurer. I see your point with the higher profile offices, but not with these more localized ones. If I hadn't vote for Cantrell, I would have just left it blank.

I will be voting for Strickland, solely because I think Obama is going to need a Democrat in the Ohio governor's mansion in 2012. Obama must get re-elected.

I hadn't thought about that, or the issue with redistricting. But my wife hasn't vote yet (she's registered here in Franklin already), so maybe she can even things up a bit. ;)

I've been checking in with Fox News today.

Brit Hume said GOP will pick up 60+ seats in the House

Dick Morris just said GOP will set a record with 60 - 80 seats
and more than likely beat the record of the 74 seat gain set in 1922.

Agreeing with deep here.

When Republicans and Democrats have legislated out third party candidates' chances, there really is such a thing as a wasted vote.

I wonder if we'll ever see decent campaign finance reform in the States. Probably not, considering Washington runs on special interests.
agreed. i really think a country as large and diverse as america could benefit from mmp, but that's for another thread.

We've got 5 districts set up in our state. Generally it seems we're split down the middle-the eastern half tends to be the more liberal part of the state, and the western half is more conservative. Those smack dab in the center kinda bend one way or the other (my town generally being more left-leaning. Same with Des Moines). And as I understand it, that's typically how it goes most of the time. (I remember learning about the redistricting of states like California in school. Yikes. Thankful I'm not a politician who has to mess with that setup).

It sounds like I'm hearing more and more that a lot of Iowans want to vote out the three judges up for retention, which is rather depressing :(. But our Democratic candidates seem to be getting a good deal of support, so it could be a strange mix tomorrow.

I've been checking in with Fox News today.

Brit Hume said GOP will pick up 60+ seats in the House

Dick Morris just said GOP will set a record with 60 - 80 seats
and more than likely beat the record of the 74 seat gain set in 1922.

Not even close to being likely to happen, but I've been wondering on occasion just what it would be like if all the confidence and predictions about a GOP sweep tomorrow turned out to be wrong. At the very least I'm really looking forward to seeing just how well the Tea Party candidates do, and how their winning or losing will affect the Republican Party's choice to embrace or distance themselves from the group.

Angela

I now am prepared to heartily and enthusiastically endorse

Dick Strong

for Minneapolis Soil and Water Conservation District 4 Supervisor

He will be a Strong, Dick in our dirt and water.

:wink:

(-real candidate though. Not everything has to be serious today.)

:lol: What is it with people whose names refer to genitalia getting into politics, seriously?

Interesting article from Yahoo! News, with something for Republicans to consider:

2010: a campaign year driven by conflicted emotions | The Upshot Yahoo! News

Republicans are sure to benefit from this widespread voter dissatisfaction -- but the party shouldn't take much comfort from tonight's election results. Unlike previous "wave" elections, polls show voters aren't any happier with Republicans than they are with Democrats. Just 34 percent of likely voters have a "favorable" view of the GOP, compared with 39 percent for Democrats, according to the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

Just got back from voting, by the way :). Yay!

Angela

Bow down to Aqua Buddha ( or get your haid stomped!)

6259BE6D4E51F5721EE6359AF555A8.jpg

its official, we have our first tea party Senator - Paul Rand

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39962482/ns/politics-decision_2010/?GT1=43001

I don't understand people. Two years ago, they wanted the government to do more, now they've done too much? How does that work?

And if that many people think we're on "the wrong track", please, enlighten me, what do we have to do to get on the right track? I keep hearing we're on the wrong path, but I never really hear WHY, or how to fix it. So I'm curious.

Boo to young people not showing up much, either :down:. But then again, there hasn't been a hell of a lot of attention paid to the issues that concerned them this year like there was in '08, so that's probably why. Still, though, that's sad to hear.

Angela

Begin rooting for the coming Republican Party cataclysm when the Tea Party realizes the big boys' party will not be pursuing their values doggedly with their majority in power.

CNN has declared that the GOP has won control of the House of Representatives, that means they will pick up 39 + seats

Fox News has projected the GOP will pick up 60 seats.

The polls have not even closed on the West Coast
we have over 2 1/2 hours to go.

Back
Top Bottom