2010 - U S Midterm Elections - opinions - results - what now? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #166
has a

Local Time: 02:41 AM
It is too early to start to criticize Boehner for flying a big, expensive jet from DC to Ohio and back?
I mean, does he think he's like third in line to the presidency or something? Didn't he learn from Pelosi's excesses?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 AM
This is interesting

John Boehner Handed Out Checks From Tobacco Industry On the House Floor Just Before Tobacco Vote

if you watch the video, he does not evade, he owns up to it.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
LOL, no kidding, Mark. Where's the Republicans' outrage like the kind they had when Obama took his expensive trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
My sense is that this is a pretty good read of the Midwest's political climate, at least the eastern portions of the Midwest (i.e. excluding the Plains states, which are often included in the category). Although those "old industry towns" comprise only small portions of the region, nowadays even the rural areas are far more dependent on light manufacturing and services than farming, so that the mood in the declining steel towns spills over into them. Half a century ago, these people's parents and grandparents found the abundant factory jobs a sturdy ladder from being (mostly) poor ex-farmers to secure, comfortable middle-class livelihoods, and took for granted their children could have the same or better. That economy is gone, and nothing that really resembles a replacement for it appears to be in the offing. Maybe when you're in SF or Seattle or NYC or DC it elicits anticipation and excitement to hear about "green jobs" or "the information economy," but no one here is buying it. It's not that they're opposed to those things, it's just that they don't have the ring of anything that sounds likely to support such large numbers of people across such broad swathes of territory within a single national economy. I also get the sense that most fear or suspect (probably rightly) that neither party really has any Big Ideas of a way up and out for them--the politicians will toss around vague if sensible-sounding stuff about better sci-tech education and more money for aspiring entrepreneurs' pockets, but they sure don't sound very clear or confident about what exactly the desired result might look like and how many new jobs it might deliver. And perhaps in truth it's a misunderstanding of what politicians are ultimately good for, and capable of facilitating, to really expect otherwise--but that's almost too despair-inducing to contemplate.

Now I didn't actually grow up here, so maybe I'm reading the regional mood wrong; maybe 2861, or Lies, or indra, or whoever else is from these parts would see a different picture. But this is more or less what I'm seeing, in my students, my neighbors, and all the other people I regularly interact with in my community. And as exasperating as all this rootless casting around for political 'deliverance' can be, I do understand the underlying sense of impending doom, and the panic that can foster. I just don't think that The Answer for problems this big lies much with whichever lever(s) you pull on Election Day.
to all of this. I can say for a fact that every word of your post is true, as is that article you shared.

As to the mention of the baby boomers-thing is, even after they fade away, there's still nothing being done to help the generations coming up. So many young people, after high school/college, try and hightail it out of the Midwest because, quite frankly, there's nothing for them here. And those that stay usually wind up on the lower echelons of society-working low-paying jobs, getting pregnant and having kids they can't really afford to take care of, living in sorta dumpy areas, etc. There's no "excitement", there's no attempt at a youth-oriented culture except in the big cities like Minneapolis or Chicago. I know there are people in older generations out there that are "hip" to what's going on nowadays, but in this part of the country, most of the older people I know/have come across are lucky to know how to work a computer. Maybe they get on Facebook to communicate with their families. But that's about it. Too many towns in our area of the country are clinging to a past that they refuse to admit is long gone, and they're either too worried about or too content in their lives to really be concerned with what their children and grandchildren will inherit, what the town offers for them.

There's also a strange contradiction that constantly goes on in that the Midwest wants new opportunities and better jobs and such...but then when some big city development comes in, like a nationwide chain or something, a lot of those same people then complain that their small town is being messed with by the big city guys. Nobody's figured out how to properly maintain the balance of small town charm with big city entertainment/jobs and such. Course, people need to remember that some in the Midwest are perfectly happy with the rural, quiet life, they're not at all impressed by a New York City or a Denver or a Los Angeles. Which is fine. Just that they'll need to figure out how to keep their small town thriving, is all. If they could take the business savvy of the "olden days" that allowed people to live comfortably and put a modern twist on it, they could do quite nicely.

Maybe these decisions shouldn't be left up to politicians. If we feel they're not doing it right, why don't we do it ourselves? We've got that kind of a spirit/attitude here. Look at Greensburg, Kansas. After that devastating tornado, the town as a whole agreed to rebuild with green technology and are working on it to this day.

Quote:
On the one hand, people are living with the daily grind of getting by on $40,000 a year
My family would be thrilled if we were making that kind of money.

Angela
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Memories.
Pics of winners, los..err, 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio - Yahoo! News Photos

<>

PS-

I highly recommend listening to this song as you click thru the pictures.
You will need to minimize the video however:

Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
This is interesting

John Boehner Handed Out Checks From Tobacco Industry On the House Floor Just Before Tobacco Vote

To be fair to Boehner, he later apologized for it, but it does show this guy is old school, cigar-smoking, hard drinking Washington. Money is part of the game if you want to be on that stage.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:
Jobs growth shows some zip; unemployment rate unmoved

The economy created more jobs than expected – 151,000 – in October, the best showing since May. Jobs are being added in many sectors, including health care, retail, and temp agencies. The unemployment rate, though, still stands at 9.6 percent.
Wow, those Republicans sure work fast
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Breaking news that Pelosi is running for minority leader. Let the chaos in the Democratic Party begin.

Nothing could be better for the GOP than to have her and Reid continue to be the face of the Democratic Party going into 2012.
Do you really, seriously, truly think that nutcase Sharon Angle would've been better for Nevada/the country than Harry Reid?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #173
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
This is interesting

iron horse is very thankful for this small government type of politician
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Keep in mind, however, that there is a lot less possibility of chaos in the Democratic party post-midterms because all the Blue Dog dems are gone. All of them. They got in back in 2008 on the back of dissatisfaction with the Bush administration, and now their swing states have gone Republican again. If anything the post-2010 Democratic Party will be more united than 2008 due to the absence of the Blue Dogs, who had to cover their own asses during the entire stimulus + healthcare debates.

I'm hoping they dump Pelosi.

I never liked her as a congressional leader, and unfortunately for her career she helped push through a lot of legislation during a period where the Republican Party had their horses in line and were able to oppose the house Dems and the President in lockstep. No matter who was Dem house leader during the first half of the term, he or she would have gotten battered, and Pelosi did.

I do think it is best for the Democrats to take a new house leader, but not someone who they want to groom into a future presidential candidate. The next two years will be absolute gridlock in Congress. Beyond a possible compromise on the Bush Tax Cuts for that 250K+ income bracket, I don't see any major legislation getting through from either side until 2012
I disagree. I don't want Pelosi to step down with her tail between her legs just because the GOP doesn't like her. I want progressives in congress to scream as loud as they can for as long as they can, not cower in the shadow of the GOP.

I sincerely hope you're wrong about congress being a gridlock, I think Obama needs to get a little more partisan - The GOP has spent the last two years reacting to every legislative move in congress by slamming their hands on the table and screaming NO NO NO. And now they have the gall to say the Democrats should move to center and compromise? Fuck that. At the same time, though, the only way anything is going to get done for the next two years is to compromise with the GOP. But I really don't feel like compromising with people who are, imo, so wrong about so much. I don't know, I don't want a gridlock, but I don't want the Democrats to bend to the GOP's will either.

Just winning this first battle about the tax cuts would be a nice victory. Making sure the rich don't get unnecessary tax cuts would be great.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #175
has a

^I like that Boehner, Cantor, Pence and McConnell have all said this week that the American people have spoken and that it is their job to listen.

Umm... ...the people spoke in 2006 and 2008, too.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
^I like that Boehner, Cantor, Pence and McConnell have all said this week that the American people have spoken and that it is their job to listen.

Umm... ...the people spoke in 2006 and 2008, too.
Excellent point.

namkcuR's post was great, too. Yeah. The Democrats need to start fighting back, and hard.

Angela
Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Have they ever fought back? Even when they had the majority, they still let the GOP call the shots
Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #178
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Have they ever fought back? Even when they had the majority, they still let the GOP call the shots
Really.

I'm not sure I support Pelosi for Minority Leader. I hate that it is generally a seniority position. I think Steny Hoyer deserves a shot.

And, Reid as Senate Minority Leader? Please let there be someone with a stronger spine for that post.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #179
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
exactly. i'm not one of those "hurr obama didn't do anything" people, but more could've been accomplished for sure. instead we've been pandering to a (very vocal) minority to appease them.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

And that's why we need to start fighting back. We need to regain the energy and power of 2008. We need to make it clear to the Democrats that they can go ahead and go through with their policies, because they are good and there are people who will support them. A big part of the Democrats' fear is that they're not sure if the country is ready to embrace a lot of their ideas, and we need to let them know there are people out there who are, and even so, you're still supposed to do what is best for the country as a whole. The Democrats need to take charge, yes, but their supporters dropped the ball by not pushing them as much as they should've, too.

It won't surprise me if Pelosi and Reid gain those respective posts. I honestly don't know who would be a better choice-I've no doubt there's people out there who probably are, but I can't think of them right off the top of my head at this moment.

Angela