2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2861U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I figured VP discussion was worthy of its own thread...

So now that each side has a nominee, the interest is quickly turning to who they each might pick as their running mate. Who are your top choices for your preferred candidate and why, and who are you most worried about your opponent choosing?

1) Mitt Romney: Since McCain clinched, I've been hoping for Romney to be his running mate. He has more economic background and knowledge than almost anyone either candidate could choose, and with the economy likely to be the top issue, he would be a big asset. It would be a longshot for Romney to help McCain pick up Massachusetts, but he could possibly help in his home state of Michigan, one of the key battleground states this year. Conservatives love him, and he could help excite the party about the ticket. Romney brings in big crowds, too. Judging by the rallies I saw on tv, he brought in a lot more people than McCain. As we saw during the primary, he's not afraid to go after his opponents hard, something McCain either will not do or doesn't do as well.

2) Kay Bailey Hutchison: McCain won't need any help winning Texas, but she could help secure the south, where Obama has the possibility of winning a state or two. She's well-known among conservatives and has a strong conservative record. In 2006, she was named by TheWhiteHouseProject.org one of the "8 in '08" female politicians who could possibly be elected president in 2008. Assuming Obama does not pick a woman as his running mate (or even anyone other than Hillary), Hutchison could attract a good number of female supporters who use to support Hillary.

3) Bobby Jindal: Jindal is young (only 37) and may attract some youth vote. He is also a minority which could help gain votes. He has a strong conservative record and is extremely well-liked. As with Hutchison, he could help secure the south and has done a lot for Louisiana since the storm. He's also an excellent speaker and could bring some excitement to the ticket.

As of now, I'm probably still most worried about an Obama/Clinton ticket. I highly doubt he'll pick her, though.

Here's a question I was thinking about the other day. Does the VP really bring in voters? I'm not asking to be a smartass; I really want to know. I can't ever remember voting for a president based on his VP choice. Are there really that many people who vote that way?

Here's a question I was thinking about the other day. Does the VP really bring in voters? I'm not asking to be a smartass; I really want to know. I can't ever remember voting for a president based on his VP choice. Are there really that many people who vote that way?

Only if people are on the fence...

If some are leary about Obama and Iraq due to experience, someone like Clark may put them over the fence...

i think the above list is a strong one, and i think that KBH might be his best bet.

i :heart: your avatar!

McCain=Charlie Crist
Obama=Mark Warner

as a resident of VA, i gotta agree with laura here. Warner needs to stay. we're still undergoing a massive color change from red to a blue. we need more time, and Warner still has work to do.

McCain may very well pick Romney but I have a suspicion he may go the other way and pick Huckabee (to pick up the Evangelical wing of the party). Then there's the most bizzare possibility...Condeleza Rice!!!

People may not vote for a ticket because of the VP, but they will vote against a ticket because of a VP, in fact voting against is the driving force all around.

We need Mark Warner in that Senate seat more than we need him in the VP spot.

/So says the Warner for Senate intern.

Well, it's a good point but I think if asked, he's say yes out of obligation.

Why couldn't the Governor run for Senate?
He's a popular Dem, right? Kaine?

That said, another Dem in the Senate in a purple state, that's a pretty compelling argument. Especially with some pretty good candidates otherwise.

If he went in another direction, I might pick Joe Biden but he was my pick all along, so I am certainly biased.

I would love to see Jim Webb as Obama's vice presidential pick. Seems like a good guy overall with a similar anti-war stance, the military hero thing going on to counter McCain's edge in that department so far, and a fair amount of government experience to go along with it. Also, he certainly wouldn't hurt Barack's prospects of carrying Virginia in November. :sexywink:

I think Biden would be excellent either as VP or Secretary of State, I've always been a big fan of him.

I have some reservations about Webb on the ticket...not only because I want to keep that senate seat but he has said things in the past about women in the military that really got him in hot water. Those things would resurface and it may drive more women away.

ETA-It sure is good to be a Virginia Democrat these days! If 4 years ago you would have told me that 3 Virginians were getting a lot of buzz to be on the Democratic ticket I would have laughed. :D

ETA 2-Here's a cool Boston Globe article on my favorite governor :D http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/12/va_governor_could_help_fill_gap_for_obama/

I figured VP discussion was worthy of its own thread...

So now that each side has a nominee, the interest is quickly turning to who they each might pick as their running mate. Who are your top choices for your preferred candidate and why, and who are you most worried about your opponent choosing?

1) Mitt Romney: Since McCain clinched, I've been hoping for Romney to be his running mate. He has more economic background and knowledge than almost anyone either candidate could choose, and with the economy likely to be the top issue, he would be a big asset. It would be a longshot for Romney to help McCain pick up Massachusetts, but he could possibly help in his home state of Michigan, one of the key battleground states this year. Conservatives love him, and he could help excite the party about the ticket. Romney brings in big crowds, too. Judging by the rallies I saw on tv, he brought in a lot more people than McCain. As we saw during the primary, he's not afraid to go after his opponents hard, something McCain either will not do or doesn't do as well.

2) Kay Bailey Hutchison: McCain won't need any help winning Texas, but she could help secure the south, where Obama has the possibility of winning a state or two. She's well-known among conservatives and has a strong conservative record. In 2006, she was named by TheWhiteHouseProject.org one of the "8 in '08" female politicians who could possibly be elected president in 2008. Assuming Obama does not pick a woman as his running mate (or even anyone other than Hillary), Hutchison could attract a good number of female supporters who use to support Hillary.

3) Bobby Jindal: Jindal is young (only 37) and may attract some youth vote. He is also a minority which could help gain votes. He has a strong conservative record and is extremely well-liked. As with Hutchison, he could help secure the south and has done a lot for Louisiana since the storm. He's also an excellent speaker and could bring some excitement to the ticket.

As of now, I'm probably still most worried about an Obama/Clinton ticket. I highly doubt he'll pick her, though.

Sarah Palin, the current governor of Alaska might be a great choice as well. She has the highest approval rating of any politician in the country at 85%. A women at 44 years old, she has the gender and youth that McCain does not. I can see a lot of independent and Democratic women swinging to McCain with her on the ticket as well as those in the younger demographic.

Sarah Palin, the current governor of Alaska might be a great choice as well. She has the highest approval rating of any politician in the country at 85%. A women at 44 years old, she has the gender and youth that McCain does not. I can see a lot of independent and Democratic women swinging to McCain with her on the ticket as well as those in the younger demographic.

She would have been number 4 on my list :up:

Kucinich for Obama. Absolute legend, should've won the Democrat nomination. His policies come across as very Liberal like Obama's, and if something were to happen to Obama, Kucinich would fill the breach kinda seamlessly.

For the scum, go Cheney just cause it's be funny. McCain-Cheney, the Grumpy Old Men ticket.

Back
Top Bottom