2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The calculation was simply:

Hillary = woman
Palin = woman
woman = woman
QED

She's gonna have to debate Biden...yowza.

Yeah, that's going to be so beautiful to watch!

it's so funny.

you're now defending Palin for all the things that's been used against Obama.

it makes every argument against Obama totally, completely disingenuous.

The flipside, of course, is that we can't really knock her for being inexperienced, no matter how tempting it is. If it were to be used as an issue, I think the successful approach would be to call McCain a flip-flopper or to say he has poor judgment. Soemthing along the lines of: "We don't think that experience is an issue. We think Barack Obama has everything he needs to be President of the United States. John McCain, however, does think that experience is an issue. His campaign has said so for the last several months. And yet, he picks a VP who lacks the experience he says is necessary. John McCain----flip-flopper/John McCain---do you trust his judgment?"

"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency."
-statement from Obama spokesperson

sooo... a) are they ignoring that she's a governor, b) are they assuming, with the statement that she is now a "heartbeat away," that john mccain is going to win?

"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency."
-statement from Obama spokesperson

Alaska is only slightly smaller than Delaware, where Obama's VP is from, who by the way, has no executive governing experience.

Alaska is only slightly smaller than Delaware, where Obama's VP is from, who by the way, has no executive governing experience.

who has been in the senate for 32 years and is widely considered the most well-versed Senator in Congress when it comes to foreign policy.

i don't see how "executive governing experience" is now such a sticking point.

when McCain doesn't have any.

I keep hearing people on radio, TV, in here stress that she's a mother...

Did I miss something?! :huh: No one said this about Hillary. No one stresses fatherhood with male politicians.

who has been in the senate for 32 years and is widely considered the most well-versed Senator in Congress when it comes to foreign policy.

Because governors win elections. Gore/Lieberman? 2 senators. Kerry/Edwards? 2 senators. Obama/Biden? 2 senators. Why Obama didn't get the message to pick a governor, I don't know. Governors, not senators, win the white house, at least in recent history.

Exactly. "Executive" being the Executive Branch---you know, the President and the Vice President. Jeez, seems to me like there've been only a limited few in all of American history with that experience. :shrug: "Executive" as in state? If Obama is knocked for having little experience, why do two measly years as Alaskan governor carry such heft as "executive experience?"

To edit what I said earlier about the Biden-Palin debate going to be beautiful.... As a huge Biden fan (esp. with debates & performance), and looking through Palin's stuff on youtube right now, he's going to tuck her away pretty nicely. I wonder, though---if he comes off as attacking her, will that be seen as cruel? Will the gender card be slyly played? I don't think that it should be an issue, but I do wonder if it will.

Because governors win elections. Gore/Lieberman? 2 senators. Kerry/Edwards? 2 senators. Obama/Biden? 2 senators. Why Obama didn't get the message to pick a governor, I don't know. Governors, not senators, win the white house, at least in recent history.

so McCain is toast, isn't he.

Known governors.

Because governors win elections.

Then ya'all should have gone with Romney when you had the chance.

Pat Buchanan thinks she's not ready to be commander in chief. She's also being ripped to shreds over there at the librul National Review.

Because McCain thinks that women are just simple vaginas, I truly think he made a terrible, terrible choice. Mitt would have been way better. I know STING is sold on Ridge but I still don't think the base cares about pro-choice candidates. But he would have been better too in some states. Pawlenty I thought was a bad choice, and this is just about on the same level, except worse.

I wonder, though---if he comes off as attacking her, will that be seen as cruel? Will the gender card be slyly played? I don't think that it should be an issue, but I do wonder if it will.

i think this was part of the calculation.

The strange looking blonde commentator on my TV keeps stressing the fact that she's a hunter, a fisherwoman, and a "hockey-mom"

I've heard it like 10 times now. Great.

Alaska legislators on Monday voted to spend up to $100,000 to investigate Gov. Sarah Palin's controversial firing of former state Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. The decision came from the Legislative Council, a bipartisan panel of state senators and representatives.

The committee itself will not conduct the probe. Rather, it will hire an independent investigator to explore whether Palin, her family or members of her administration pressured Monegan to fire an Alaska state trooper involved in a rough divorce from Palin's sister.

Monegan contends he did feel such pressure, and the question for the investigator will be whether Monegan might have lost his job for failing to dismiss trooper Mike Wooten.

Palin has denied applying any pressure or otherwise abusing her power as governor.
Palin abruptly fired Monegan on July 11 and later explained she wanted to take the Department of Public Safety in a different, more energetic direction. She replaced him with Chuck Kopp, the former Kenai police chief. But Kopp resigned Friday over questions about a reprimand he received after a sexual harassment complaint lodged against him in Kenai.
On Monday, the council voted 12-0 to spend up to $100,000 "to investigate the circumstances and events surrounding the termination of former Public Safety Commissioner Monegan, and potential abuses of power and/or improper actions by members of the executive branch."

This is happening as we speak.

Full story here.

Full story here.

If that's the best that liberals can come up with, bring it on- a situation where I would guess most Americans side with Palin and would do the same thing in her spot if their family was being abused or threatened.

Full story here.

One benefit of picking someone with little history is that there aren't many skeletons in the closet. It's so odd to choose someone with little history and already a decent skeleton in her closet. :confused:

If that's the best that liberals can come up with, bring it on- a situation where I would guess most Americans side with Palin and would do the same thing in her spot if their family was being abused or threatened.

I really hope that this is how they explain it.

:lol:

You have to match things up tit for tit and tat for tat.

Obama 2 weeks of a Senator vs Mc Cain suporter of surge and f policy exp.. Huge Advantage- Camp McCain

and then Biden never governed plus a a dismal approval rating. Advantage Sarah P Camp McCain.
Governing a state is much harder than being a Senator. Advantage Sarah P Camp McCain
Plus you guys conveneiently ignore her 80% approval rating....hellooooo. Advantage Camp McCain
Independent thinking woman-Advantage Camp McCain.

Advantage McCain tic-totally.

Dems, your ship has hit an ice berg- you haven't realized it yet.

Us open minded compassionate McCain supporters will be here w the lifeboats.
:)

<>

The strange looking blonde commentator on my TV keeps stressing the fact that she's a hunter, a fisherwoman, and a "hockey-mom"

I've heard it like 10 times now. Great.

So, she's borderline Canadian. Do we need Canadians right now? I mean, hockey? Ice? Hunting? Ice fishing? Snow? I thought that's why we lived south of Canada. To avoid the snow and ice. And then what? Maple syrup? An army with people like DaveC? C'mon!

Again, let's dumb down America and assume that we'd all abuse power to do something to another person in a way that won't even help my family member. Seems rather spiteful and amoral to me. :shrug:

But, alas! Perhaps we are all that simple and don't hold ourselves to any higher standards. What a sad nation we have become.

You realize this investigation has been going on well before there was talk of her being VP, that the commitee is bi-partisan, and the investigators are independent? So what does this have to do with liberals?

An abuse of power is an abuse of power. It questions whether she'd be able to do the right thing for the American public.

Back
Top Bottom