2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baracopolis Greek setting last night
:lol:

McCain has the guts to do things outside the box by really doing it-unlike Obummer, who chose the "safe bet" picking a Senator who 's never swayed in his thinking and a Washington insider.

I don't understand where this notion of "whoever picks the riskier candidate" gets my vote/support/applause shtick came from. I don't want a risk. I want someone who is well-suited for the job. (Just speaking generally, I don't know much about Palin).

As an aside, it makes me wonder if McCain would have still picked this woman had Obama not announced his choice yet. This pick seems more like a response to the last two weeks than something well calculated and in the best interests of the country. :hmm:

:lol:

I don't understand where this notion of "whoever picks the riskier candidate" gets my vote/support/applause shtick came from. I don't want a risk. I want someone who is well-suited for the job. (Just speaking generally, I don't know much about Palin).

As an aside, it makes me wonder if McCain would have still picked this woman had Obama not announced his choice yet. This pick seems more like a response to the last two weeks than something well calculated and in the best interests of the country. :hmm:

So did Hilary get robbed or not?

<>

The experience argument really is about the top of the ticket.

When the candidate is perceived as a light weight, they must turn to their V P pick to boost their credibility. That is why Bush choose Cheney, and Obama chose Biden. They both needed gravitas.

McCain does not suffer from the light weight image problem,
GHW Bush 1 did not need gravitas either.
and easily won with (anti-gravitas) pick Quayle.

I disagree. First, what sort of gravitas does Palin provide, save for the fact that she criticized the Alaskan Repubs in her election for governor? "Maverick"--is that it?

Second, experience in this election applies to the top and the bottom of the ticket. As Dreadsox pointed out, McCain would be the oldest President in history, should he be elected. More than that, he is just a few short years from the endpoint of the average American life expectancy.

Palin spent more time as a sports reporter and a lowly city council member (and they criticize Barack's state legislature position!) than she has as governor of her state. In the split second it takes for a stroke to demolish a person, this would be the next leader of the United States of America:

Sarah Louise Heath Palin (born February 11, 1964) is the current Governor of Alaska, and the presumptive 2008 Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States.[1] She is the second female Vice Presidential nominee representing one of the two major American political parties.[2]

Born in Idaho and raised in Alaska, Palin was a championship high school athlete and was the 1984 runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant. After graduating from the University of Idaho and working as a sports reporter at an Anchorage television station, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, City Council from 1992 to 1996, was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996, and ran unsuccessfully for Lieutenant Governor in 2002. After charging ethical violations by state Republican Party leaders,[3] she won election in 2006 by first defeating incumbent governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary, then former Democratic Alaskan governor Tony Knowles in the general election.

:ohmy:

Nothing but a blatant stab at getting ex-Hillary voters.

you severly underestimate facebook's reach on those in the 18 to 34 demographic by calling it "juvenille."

that said.. all i was doing was pointing out that nobody knows who the hell this person is.

and u ignore the fact that Palin hasn't been running for National office for the last 18 months.

<>

So did Hilary get robbed or not?
No, but if it had come down to Hillary versus McCain in November I probably would have voted McCain.

If Obama had picked Hillary it would have destroyed the Democratic party. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but somewhere along the way they would have stumbled and the Republican party would demonize the Democratic party.
Plus it's hard to have a two-headed dog make decisions.

this seems to be the most coherent argument for Palin that i've found so far:

We’re Surprised—but Why?

All right, now I'm excited. Back in March, I cast my primary vote for John McCain with confidence. His values, his stance on the issues matched mine better than those of any other Republican. His campaign was on a roll, the reports of its death the previous summer having been greatly exaggerated. He seemed to have the best chance of winning. But once he got the nomination, he just seemed ... lackluster. Granted, almost no one is going to look charismatic compared with Barack Obama, but when I saw an episode of The Daily Show with McCain talking to the press at a supermarket, standing in front of a large display of Dole orange juice, I knew what the joke was before Jon Stewart could open his mouth. . John McCain = Bob Dole.

But now he's gone and picked Sarah Palin, the young governor of Alaska for his running mate, and I could not be happier. Aside from her political bona fides, she is one cool woman. She's married to her high-school sweetheart, an Eskimo fisherman and "champion snowmobiler," according to her Wikipedia bio. They have five kids, all with slightly hippie-ish names, like Track and Willow. (No Prestons and Whitneys in that bunch.)

She's bound to appeal to fiscal conservatives, because she's as far as you can get from her fellow Alaskan Ted Stevens, the GOP senator recently indicted for "false financial disclosures" (read: corruption). She unseated Gov. Frank Murkowski in a primary and has both pushed through ethics reform and trimmed the fat from the state budget. She even killed the infamous "bridge to nowhere" project that brought Congress and Alaska so much ridicule.

Politically, it's a great move by McCain to appeal to the disgruntled Hillary voters that Obama might not have successfully wooed during the convention this week. Yes, she's pro-life, but she's not just talk. Faced with the heartbreaking news that her fifth child would likely have Down syndrome, she continued on with the pregnancy and gave birth to a son while in office, a son she calls "perfect." And like Hillary, she's one tough cookie. You don't take on an entrenched pol like Murkowski and succeed in a rugged state like Alaska if you're a lightweight.

She might have been a dark horse, but in hindsight, we should all be asking why that was so. A candidate who's going to appeal to the base, energize the campaign, and potentially reel in some Hillary supporters. Why would it have been anyone else?

No, she knew the rules of the game. It is not her fault the dems used proportional delegates and Florida would not count.

But Obama, Dean and Axelrod all changed the rules back to seat Michigan and Florida delegations 100% and give them 100% of their vote, as if they did not break the rules. There was no punishment.

Of course this was done after Obama had it locked up. And the Hillary wins could not influence the 20% of (super) delegate that no one voted for.

QthisFT.

OK but I want to know will breastfeeding be an issue? :cute:

Mrs. Springsteen? Do we know where she stands on the issue?

i also wonder if this isn't something of a sacrifice fly.

it's now looking worse and worse for McCain ... perhaps this puts a 21st century potential GOP star into a national figure for the future?

dunno, just speculatin'.

I do have to go and work today.

I need to make some money, since Obama is going to raise my taxes.

But, later I share my opinions why this was a very good pick by McCain.

1. Obama has been a senator for 4 years. he is on the Senate FRC. so it's not even close. Biden has more foreign policy experience than McCain.

Yeah, and Obama was against removing Saddam from power while his Vice Presidential Candidate voted the same way as Castro, against using military force to remove Saddam from Kuwait in 1991.

McCain's foreign policy experience began when Biden was still in High School and more than 15 years before Biden was in the Senate. Its absurd to suggest that Biden has more Foreign Policy experience than McCain. Biden has lived most of his life in the state of Delaware. When McCain entered congress in 1981, the longest place he had ever lived in his life was Hanoi Vietnam.

if we're going to talk about judgment, when it comes to the single most important decision a candidate has to make, tell me, who has made the pick that is better for the United States?

Obama picked a VP candidate who voted against removing Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991 with military force. Even the French supported military action against Saddam at that time, sending an entire Light Infantry Division to support the US led military intervention to remove Saddam from Kuwait. Probably the most important vote of Biden's career at that time, and he got it wrong. Biden wised up in 2002, but had a very different position from the person he is running with in 2002 on whether or not to remove Saddam from power.

As yourself, which ticket is more representitive of America, the Republican ticket or the Democratic ticket. While she has much less experience than McCain or Biden, she is the only one on either ticket that has executive government experience. When was the last time the country elected a ticket that did not have governor or former governor on the ticket.

Obama picked Biden partly because they thought he was a great attack dog. I hope he goes after Palin in the debate, I'm sure the women of America will love that.

Definitely not the conventional choice for McCain. There is some risk involved, but McCain needs to take some political risk in order to win in this environment.

What is it with this stage thing? And why am I not surprised Diamond brought it up?

It seemed obvious that it was modeled to look like the White House from a distance, which is what everyone was looking at it from at Mile High Stadium.

Face it guys, Johhny Mac outsmarted everyone GOP/Dems/MSM/Interference.Com-the man's shrewd.

I think we all should slap ourselves-if you're humble enough to do so.

<>

i also wonder if this isn't something of a sacrifice fly.

it's now looking worse and worse for McCain ... perhaps this puts a 21st century potential GOP star into a national figure for the future?

dunno, just speculatin'.

it is something to think about... is she the obama for the GOP, and this run is perhaps setting her up for a future run at the big seat the same way the Dems set Obama up with his speech in 2004.

Yeah, and Obama was against removing Saddam from power while his Vice Presidential Candidate voted the same way as Castro, against using military force to remove Saddam from Kuwait in 1991.

McCain's foreign policy experience began when Biden was still in High School and more than 15 years before Biden was in the Senate. Its absurd to suggest that Biden has more Foreign Policy experience than McCain. Biden has lived most of his life in the state of Delaware. When McCain entered congress in 1981, the longest place he had ever lived in his life was Hanoi Vietnam.

Obama picked a VP candidate who voted against removing Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991 with military force. Even the French supported military action against Saddam at that time, sending an entire Light Infantry Division to support the US led military intervention to remove Saddam from Kuwait. Probably the most important vote of Biden's career at that time, and he got it wrong. Biden wised up in 2002, but had a very different position from the person he is running with in 2002 on whether or not to remove Saddam from power.

As yourself, which ticket is more representitive of America, the Republican ticket or the Democratic ticket. While she has much less experience than McCain or Biden, she is the only one on either ticket that has executive government experience. When was the last time the country elected a ticket that did not have governor or former governor on the ticket.

Obama picked Biden partly because they thought he was a great attack dog. I hope he goes after Palin in the debate, I'm sure the women of America will love that.

Definitely not the conventional choice for McCain. There is some risk involved, but McCain needs to take some political risk in order to win in this environment.

wow! i couldn't have asked for more from a STING post! did you know that McCain was a POW!

koolaid5b.jpg

I disagree with your assessment there Irvine - it is sub par and missing something....

what could it beeeeeee?:doh:

I disagree with your assessment there Irvine - it is sub par and missing something....

what could it beeeeeee?:doh:

i, for one, want to know what Sarah Palin's position on Resolution 1441 was.

it's absolutely critical to my vote.

Palin-Jindal in 2012!!!

Back
Top Bottom