2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In NYC, my taxes are higher than they are back home.

i may not make quite as much as you or deep,

but i'm near that top tier

and i have medical insurance that i pay for out of my own pocket

and i've still been slammed by costs over the past year

hence

taxes and tax brackets mean little to me

when i can be cleaned out every month by a health care system that's designed for the lucky.

I pay nothing for health insurance.

Here or in Canada. So I am lucky in that respect.

But I self-medicate with the ganja thrice a day so that keeps the doctor away.

as for the swipe

"Slavish adherence to ritual is a sign one's mind"

fine throw all us Hillary supporters under the bus with insults, ain't no way to build a winning coalition.

It just might be a generational thing. The official VP announcements have always come in press conferences. Why do they need to be held in press conferences? Just because something has always been done one way doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way or the right way. I bet he's still holding a press conference, he's still going to be looking the camera in the eye and saying the VP's name, but you seem to be offended that exact particular moment won't be the first time people will know the pick. (The name always leaks minutes or hours before the press conference anyways so that ideal never even happens)

Hillary? :huh:

Do I really need my 20 year old ganga-reeking tenant, to smirk at me and tell me he knows who the O man chose for V P? :rolleyes:
and I don't have a clue as I break out my check book to write a check for the higher taxes Obama wants to take from me?

I think you've written a lot of...odd things here deep over the years. We all have, no doubt.

But the above is just insulting. It used to be that you were simply condescending about the age, intellect, and ability to reason of the Obama "fangirls" which in itself was not particularly nice, but whatever. Now you're just being really offensive for no reason at all.

I've never tried to classify you as an ignorant dinosaur quasi-racist voter and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop classifying Obama voters in this remarkably offensive way.

It just might be a generational thing. VP announcements have always come in press conferences.

this may surprise you

but he is running for one of our most "traditional offices".

I know. "New Coke" sounded like a great idea.

But, Coca Cola Classic is still number one.

and here is the important part.

Obama already has all the textheads, fist bumpers, no flag pin wearing youth votes tied up.

Why keep playing to them?

Will they desert him if he chose to do the "traditional things:"
that might actually give some comfort to the undecideds that are still standing on the sidelines and looking for a reason to say "Yeah, I can relate to this guy. I'll vote for Obama"?

I've never tried to classify you as an ignorant dinosaur quasi-racist voter and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop classifying Obama voters in this remarkably offensive way.

You should be impressed I choose to rent to a self-medicater.

In conservative Newport Beach most landlords are not so tolerant. :shrug:

(I have read it three time slowly, and I can not find anything to justify "quasi-racist".
"ignorant dinosaur", perhaps)

Will they desert him if he chose to do the "traditional things:"
that might actually give some comfort to the undecideds that are still standing on the sidelines and looking for a reason to say "Yeah, I can relate to this guy. I'll vote for Obama"?

turnout

I don't think Democrats have ever had the young vote in doubt, it's locked up for them. The holy grail has always been reversing their pitiful turnout. Texting not only is more relevant then old farts hosting cable news with breaking reports about the VP pick, it is a potent weapon in giving the Obama campaign the phone numbers of devoted supporters. They can then call in October/November and organize/rally these voters for GOTV operations (or sign up their young friends to vote). pretty brilliant really.

OMG we're tlkn about a fking txt msg

wateva

l8r

McCain 4 prez

original.jpg

Okay Obama campaign, what the fuck does that mean? Did Obama have Pinkberry and love it? Was this an invite to go get some fake frozen yogurt with Obama? Or, better yet, has Obama named Pinkberry as his VP? Now that would be pretty awesome, as we'd finally get a delicious dessert product with fresh fruit topping into the White House, but not even Obama is that savvy. One thing is for certain, this campaign sucks at text messaging!

so, thinking about things ... it seems to me that the best thing someone can ask for in a VP is that they become an effective advocate for the candidate. the geography thing doesn't matter much, if at all, or not enough to make a difference. the VP should strengthen, sharpen, and round out not the candidate, so much, but more the campaign.

which is what's leading me to think that we might have a surprise in store by the Obama people.

precisely what's so great about Obama, and why i've supported him from the beginning, is because he's cool as a cucumber. he's calm, collected, always on an even keel, and not prone to hysteria or overreaction. he's nuanced, thoughtful, and thorough. this are also not good attributes to have if you're seeking to win a national campaign against Rovain Republicans who has a candidate who, now, will apparently say anything and lie consistently through a series of unrepentant negative ads.

what Obama needs is a pit bull. someone vicious. someone who loves the taste of blood. someone with a bone to pick and someone who will stoop to any level in order to win.

you know who i'm beginning to think just might be the pick?

yup.

hillary.jpg

oh, the CATHARSIS!!!!!

I doubt it. Obama will want to be in control of his presidency. Hilary and Bill don't know how to sit in the back seat, so-to-speak.

Besides, I want someone more liberal than that. Like Biden.

I doubt it. Obama will want to be in control of his presidency. Hilary and Bill don't know how to sit in the back seat, so-to-speak.

this has been the line of thought all along, and i agree.

but given the gutter campaign McCain has been running, and given the dynamics of the race, i think it makes sense.

here's an analysis from one of my favorite polling sites:

here is another important strategic implication of choosing Hillary Clinton now. Three of the worries/concerns that people had about Clinton would be that she would fire up the Republican anti-Clinton machines, in times of both money and energy as well as do the thing that John McCain couldn't do--unite the Republican party.

1. Clearly McCain has been able--for the most part--to unify his party. Now that may change depending on his VP pick, but chances are the pick will be fairly conservative (in both senses of the word.)

2. Clearly much of the anti-Clinton machine has already turned their sights--predictably--on Obama. That machine has latched onto the Obama as other/celebrity/whatever attack and will be relentless about it, aided and abetted by a docile media.

3. Clinton's presence may be able to gin up Republican fundraising...except, because they are taking public financing, the McCain campaign will have precisely one week to both collect AND spend that money. In short, absent some increase in RNC money and possibly 527 money, for the most part McCain's advantage here would be completely neutralized by the clock. If Hillary had been the VP nominee all summer long the Republicans would be dining out on this--but now they simply would not have enough time to do it.

As for the turnout, I would have to imagine that any increases in Republican turnout would be matched or bested by older female voters turning out for their hero.

The case for picking Clinton doesn't have all that much to do with Obama's deteriorating poll numbers -- although you can certainly make a separate argument based on the electoral math. Rather, it's that the Republicans have shown their hand -- and made it clear that they aren't going to be running any sort of nice, safe campaign where Obama coasts to victory while the base stays asleep.

In fact, I'd go one step further than my reader. I think that if Obama picks Clinton, the Republicans are likely to overplay their hand. One thing that Obama has not really been able to do is to generate some organic level of backlash when he is attacked. This is separate and distinct from the notion of "fighting back"; it is voters stepping in and refereeing the match themselves. Voters recognize that McCain has gone negative but they aren't really punishing him for it -- his favorables haven't moved at all. Why not? I think it has to do with the nature of Obama: he is new, he is confident to the point of being arrogant, and up until recently, he has been leading. To the extent there is any genius in the "celebrity" line of attack, it's that nobody feels much sympathy when celebrities are made fun of (well, except for this guy); it is a sort of sport to try and pierce their bubble.

With Clinton, on the other hand, voters naturally want to come to her defense -- and overzealous attempts to whip the Republican base into a frenzy will be counteracted with outrage from significant numbers of older and working-class women.

so, thinking about things ... it seems to me that the best thing someone can ask for in a VP is that they become an effective advocate for the candidate. the geography thing doesn't matter much, if at all, or not enough to make a difference. the VP should strengthen, sharpen, and round out not the candidate, so much, but more the campaign.

which is what's leading me to think that we might have a surprise in store by the Obama people.

precisely what's so great about Obama, and why i've supported him from the beginning, is because he's cool as a cucumber. he's calm, collected, always on an even keel, and not prone to hysteria or overreaction. he's nuanced, thoughtful, and thorough. this are also not good attributes to have if you're seeking to win a national campaign against Rovain Republicans who has a candidate who, now, will apparently say anything and lie consistently through a series of unrepentant negative ads.

what Obama needs is a pit bull. someone vicious. someone who loves the taste of blood. someone with a bone to pick and someone who will stoop to any level in order to win.

yup.

hillary.jpg

oh, the CATHARSIS!!!!!

pretty radical thinking

I would never have thought of that :wink:

I have been thinking this

so I will post it.

HRC

It would be the smartest thing he could do.

It would give him an instant jump of 10 - 15 points.

Also, he could do this the same way Cheney choose himself in 2000.

Obama could say after interviewing everyone else, there were many fine candidates.

But Hillary Clinton has lived though eight years with one of our best Presidents ever and has been an outstanding Senator for 8 years. Plus, she has proven to be a campaigner that can reach the American people because she understands them. I could do no better as President than to have her available to assist me in bringing the change the American people want and deserve.

Will he see the wisdom in having the strongest ticket for November?

I am 'nervous' about an Obama Presidency, too many unknowns

I am less nervous about a McCain Presidency, with a strong Dem Senate to control appointments, tax cuts for us 'fat cats' etc.

but with Hillary on the ticket, it clearly is Obama's best shot and I won't have to listen to as much whining if they lose.

and it absolutely amazes me to see and hear people that support Obama say he won't be able to deal with/ control Bill Clinton or Bill and Hillary.

what confidence they have in their champion :huh:

anyone that says that should follow it up with, therefore he really is not ready to be President.

and it absolutely amazes me to see and hear people that support Obama say he won't be able to deal with/ control Bill Clinton or Bill and Hillary.

what confidence they have in their champion :huh:

anyone that says that should follow it up with, therefore he really is not ready to be President.

you realize, though, that she couldn't control Bill Clinton.

yup.

hillary.jpg

oh, the CATHARSIS!!!!!

I'd say if Obama picks her, he is indeed feeling desperate.

I am less nervous about a McCain Presidency, with a strong Dem Senate to control appointments, tax cuts for us 'fat cats' etc.

I don't know where you find all this optimism regarding the Democratic Senate.

I would expect them to be inept with 70 votes at this point. They are useless, they've shown that they are useless. The leadership has been absolutely terrible.

I don't know where you find all this optimism regarding the Democratic Senate.

I would expect them to be inept with 70 votes at this point. They are useless, they've shown that they are useless. The leadership has been absolutely terrible.

You have asked this before

When I get back tonight, I will try and do a better job of explaining.

(I am going to memorial at the Nixon Library, for a good friend.
He worked pubic relations for Nixon in the 60s, 70s, interesting job.)

If Obama actually does pick Clinton then McCain will probably go with Romney...however, if Obama picks a white male then if McCain was really smart he'd go with Sarah Palin...the evangelicals love her, the fiscal conservatives love her...and she's a woman!!! Do I hear the footsteps of thousands of bitter Hillary supporters running to that ticket??? Probably. It would truly be the worst case scenerio for the Democrats. O.K., maybe there is one that is worse...McCain/Rice.

Back
Top Bottom