2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
after all that,

i think you and i both agree

that the Clintons are pulling for McCain.

it is just a question of overt or covert

and to be fair

if Obama had missed by the narrowest margin
there would be a lot of anticipation about 2012,
but not as urgent, because of his youth.

it is just a question of overt or covert

and to be fair

if Obama had missed by the narrowest margin
there would be a lot of anticipation about 2012,
but not as urgent, because of his youth.

if you want 4 years of disinterest in economics

disinterest in weaning the country off oil

continued solidification of the upper/ruling class

and continuous conflict with each and every cough and sneeze on the geopolitical map hysterically presented as the "defining existential crisis of our time!"

then you know who to vote for.

if you want to change the American Flag to the Big O

if you want to change the motto from 'e pluribus unum' to Latin for 'yes we can"

if you want to put a sail on your skate board and a solar panel on top of you backward ball cap

if you want to buy scratch cards at the 7-11 to learn who the next Supreme Court Nominee is

then you know who to vote for. :up:

I have to just say that living here has only made it that much more obvious how whack your politics are.

This idiotic election has lasted two years - I don't even care anymore who wins at this point. You can't get any kind of meaningful dialogue on the TV because all you have is people going back and forth making the most inane, exaggerated arguments that you could come up with. Half the time I wonder if they are doing stand up comedy, but no, they are real.

No wonder that the elections go the way they do and no wonder that the Congress does nothing. It's quite pitiful, to be honest I feel it's almost undemocratic really.

The worst is the primary. They set the rules and so I think that you should play by them, but these rules should not be as they are. It's really very silly, I don't understand many things about it. Like the Puerto Rico voting and the sheer # of delegates that they get - what the hell? The pandering to a few states every single time, because heaven knows that the most pressing issue in this country is how a farmer in Iowa likes his corn subsidy (I have to say here that at least I can respect McCain for not pandering to this group, give credit where it is due).

But the general election with the electoral college is really not much better. If at all.

I would very much like to see something more democratic with each each citizen's vote having equal weight in both the primaries and general election.

The 100 U. S. Senators were selected by electors (muck like the President) up until the early 1900s. Then they amended the constitution to have them elected by the popular vote in each of their respective states.

Why they have not done that for the President? there is no legitimate reason.

Speaking of the Senate, I don't really understand why it's fine that a state like CA or NY has 2 senators and so does someplace like Rhode Island or Wyoming. If that's not undemocratic, I don't know what is. I get the argumetns for it, that else small states would never be represented, but that is no reason to give them absolutely equal representation when they are proportionally insignificant.

Speaking of the Senate, I don't really understand why it's fine that a state like CA or NY has 2 senators and so does someplace like Rhode Island or Wyoming. If that's not undemocratic, I don't know what is. I get the argumetns for it, that else small states would never be represented, but that is no reason to give them absolutely equal representation when they are proportionally insignificant.

But isn't that what the House is for?

I don't believe that provides a sufficient check/balance at all.

It absolutely is important to protect the rights of the smaller states. It is brilliant. I completely disagree. The house, proportionaly is able to give weight to the population. The Senate provides the balance to protect states rights.

I fail to see how it is not fair. It is bad enough that Texas and California influence education (TEXT BOOK COMPANIES) because of the sheer size of their states. So they are pandered to.

The system works as does the electoral college.

if you want to change the American Flag to the Big O

if you want to change the motto from 'e pluribus unum' to Latin for 'yes we can"

if you want to put a sail on your skate board and a solar panel on top of you backward ball cap

if you want to buy scratch cards at the 7-11 to learn who the next Supreme Court Nominee is

then you know who to vote for. :up:

it's clear the Britney/Paris ad has worked on you

if these are your concerns.

It absolutely is important to protect the rights of the smaller states. It is brilliant. I completely disagree. The house, proportionaly is able to give weight to the population. The Senate provides the balance to protect states rights.

I fail to see how it is not fair. It is bad enough that Texas and California influence education (TEXT BOOK COMPANIES) because of the sheer size of their states. So they are pandered to.

The system works as does the electoral college.

I have heard all these arguments

similar ones have been used to defend the Electoral College

they just do not hold up

many states have Bicameral legislative branches

in CA we have a State Assembly and a State Senate

there are different numbers in the Assembly and Senate. and different terms

But, there is proportionality in the districts.

Pick the 25 smallest U S States, they may have 15% of the population,
and that 15 % can control the Senate?

as for Texas and CA controlling the Text Books, that is silly

it is not 2 states

it is 25% of the U S population that effects what text book companies want to publish, why is that unreasonable

would you prefer 5 % dictating what text books are available?

If the 5% included 15 States?

Is it 15 States vs. 2 States

or

Is it really 25% of the population vs. 5 % ?

I suppose CA, NY and Texas choose what films are made and Utah, Wyoming and Idaho get no real say.

Why should those first 3 states have more influence than the last 3 states?

it's clear the Britney/Paris ad has worked on you

(CNN) -- The question is starting to feel a little old: Whom will Barack Obama pick as his vice president?

Sen. Barack Obama has a big event scheduled Saturday. Will his No. 2 man (or woman) be by his side?

Sen. Barack Obama has a big event scheduled Saturday. Will his No. 2 man (or woman) be by his side?

With the clock ticking (the Democratic VP candidate delivers a big speech next Wednesday) the announcement is at most days and at least a few hours away.

Everyday seems to be "the day," the day the guessing game will finally end.

The Obama campaign sent an e-mail to reporters Wednesday with the subject line "Vice presidential ..."

The first line of the e-mail: "Just kidding."

The e-mail contained details about Obama's schedule with no mention of any of the potential vice presidential candidates.

the Obama people have done themselves in

they are just too smug and silly

this may be cute for the kids, the Colbert Report, and yes the Paris Hilton crowd

this is not adult behavior, (we don't need another goof in the WH)
it certainly is not Presidential

call me a cranky old man if you want

my execrated prediction is starting to look like it could be a reality

he gains nothing by this asinine behavior, but turning off potential swing voters

the Obama people have done themselves in

they are just too smug and silly

this may be cute for the kids, the Colbert Report, and yes the Paris Hilton crowd

this is not adult behavior, (we don't need another goof in the WH)
it certainly is not Presidential

call me a cranky old man if you want

he gains nothing by this asinine behavior, but turning off potential swing voters

Oh come on, it was a meaningless little joke. I bet some of the reporters that e-mail was sent to had a chuckle about it.

Oh come on, it was a meaningless little joke. I bet some of the reporters that e-mail was sent to had a chuckle about it.

you know who likes meaningless little jokes. celebrities.

not prisoners of war who give us Straight Talk like John McCain the Maverick.

the joke is the very fact

that his people think an important announcement like a V P nominee
should be handled like some American Idol gimmick?

The Presidential thing to do is to hold a news conference.

It is a no brainer :shrug:

So much for his great judgment. :huh:

Swing voters will be repelled and repulsed at his smug, arrogant decision to let average citizens know his VP pick before the elite media.

Slavish adherence to ritual is a sign one's mind has nothing better to do.

and idiot Presidents

do you remember W looking for the WMDs behind the curtains in the Whitehorse?

I called bullshit on that, too.

There's a big. fuck. difference. between a presidential candidate's staff(for all we know, Obama himself had FUCK ALL to do with this) having a little joke with reporters about a release that IS going to happen in the next couple days, and someone who already IS president joking around about a CAUSE OF WAR that MAY VERY WELL HAVE BEEN FABRICATED to begin with and that EVENTUALLY LEAD TO THE LOSS OF HOW MANY THOUSAND LIVES.

Big. Fuck. Difference.

just who is the smug one here?

The texting of VP is a very poor choice.

It is telling many people over 30-35 you are not in tune with me, you are out of the loop, how can they consider that he is the person to represent them?

Do I really need my 20 year old ganga-reeking tenant, to smirk at me and tell me he knows who the O man chose for V P? :rolleyes:
and I don't have a clue as I break out my check book to write a check for the higher taxes Obama wants to take from me?

Why not have the courtesy to look me in the eye and say this is my choice for Vice President?

It is telling many people over 30-35 you are not in tune with me, you are out of the loop, how can they consider that he is the person to represent them?

Do I really need my 20 year old ganga-reeking tenant, to smirk at me and tell me he knows who the O man chose for V P? :rolleyes:
and I don't have a clue as I break out my check book to write a check for the higher taxes Obama wants to take from me?

Why not have the courtesy to look me in the eye and say this is my choice for Vice President?

as someone who has written with such a pungent wit and moral clarity about the tragedy of Iraq,

i am stunned by what you continue to write about this election and the determinations you are making about voting and what's important to you.

again, it seems Britney has worked.

I'll have you know that nobody sends me more text messages than my 54-year-old mother. She's not yet managed to master the art of the digital cable box or the VCR, but she can text like a fiend.

"What's up today? Did you have lunch?"

"Just saying hi. What was for dinner?"

Apparently she thinks that at 28, I will forget to eat if not reminded.

I'll have you know that nobody sends me more text messages than my 54-year-old mother. She's not yet managed to master the art of the digital cable box or the VCR, but she can text like a fiend.

"What's up today? Did you have lunch?"

"Just saying hi. What was for dinner?"

Apparently she thinks that at 28, I will forget to eat if not reminded.

do you reek of pot, not pay your rent, and vote for Sanjaya/Obama?

because that's all anyone under 35 does, evidently.

get those damn skateboarding Obama voters OFF MY LAWN!!!

Cable News' prime demographic is smelly old people. I for one am outraged and offended that John McCain will be pandering to the elderly and telling hardworking people under age 35 who don't watch cable news all the time because they have jobs, that they can suck it; he's running a press conference.

This arrogance will turn off many swing voters, of this I am sure.

So nobody over the age of 35 owns a cell phone?

About ten seconds after the text message gets sent out, every news station will report it.

The text message thing is a good idea. The reason? Because it goes directly to the people, rather than through the media. Even though the media will report it ten seconds later, it is a symbolic communication directly with the people. Symbolic in that it is the antithesis of the Bush Administration's historically secretive communication policies. The Bush administration hasn't communicated directly with the people once in eight years.

do you reek of pot, not pay your rent, and vote for Sanjaya/Obama?

because that's all anyone under 35 does, evidently.

get those damn skateboarding Obama voters OFF MY LAWN!!!

I think deep and I

are in the same tax bracket.

But don't tell him that.

Swing voters will be repelled and repulsed at his smug, arrogant decision to let average citizens know his VP pick before the elite media.

Slavish adherence to ritual is a sign one's mind has nothing better to do.

I think this is a generational thing.

What do you think the average age of the most active texter is?

I have an iPhone
and I don't text.

Leave me a voice mail or email.

Actually the elite media will get the text before most of the average people hear about it.

A live news conference would have been the best.

and I have no problem with a text, and emails and voicemail? sent out at that time, too.

To say it will only be released in a "surprise unannounced text" is a bit arrogant. and then to follow up with the bullshit text, is a bit much.

as for the swipe

"Slavish adherence to ritual is a sign one's mind"

fine throw all us Hillary supporters under the bus with insults, ain't no way to build a winning coalition.

Back
Top Bottom