Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #121
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Washington Post

WASHINGTON - Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel (Neb.)
That would be fun...especially if McCain responded by picking Lieberman.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:37 PM
"Then, facing more intense scrutiny in his 2005 gubernatorial bid, Kaine changed positions and said he favors abortion limits."

What exactly is meant by "abortion limits"? For example, restricting late-term abortions to medical necessities is a favourable proposal in my eyes and far from a "flip-flop".

Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #123
Refugee

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Obama would balance the ticket by picking an old guy with foreign policy experience (Biden, Lee Hamilton, maybe a retired general)......

rather than a likeable guy but novice politician like Kaine. If the last eight years were any indication, the vice president has taken on a greater role. Would Obama ever call Kaine for advice on foreign policy? Has Kaine distinguished himself on any issue in his time in office? The one plus is that Kaine would help in Virginia, where McCain is competitive.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 AM

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

if the above comes to pass, it will seem that O sees VA as his path to V.

i'd go for Biden. i really would. O can play in nearly any state, anywhere. get someone to increase the overall power of the ticket -- Biden's superp foreign policy credentials -- and someone who, critically, *knows* Congress, instead of someone who seems to be more of a strategic choice.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
if the above comes to pass, it will seem that O sees VA as his path to V.

i'd go for Biden. i really would. O can play in nearly any state, anywhere. get someone to increase the overall power of the ticket -- Biden's superp foreign policy credentials -- and someone who, critically, *knows* Congress, instead of someone who seems to be more of a strategic choice.

I agree. I'm flattered that Kaine is getting so much attention but I really don't think he adds that much to the ticket.

However if he did get the VP that would really give me a leg up into an Obama administration

But I'm not that selfish Biden
Old 07-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

For some reason I don't have a feeling in my gut that it will be either Biden or Kaine. I don't think Obama needs Kaine in Virginia - he will win it or lose it without Kaine's presence on the ticket. Plus Kaine doesn't really add anything else beyond VA. As for Biden, I think he's a reasonably good pick, but he has also really ripped into McCain which I don't think he would have done so openly and explicitly if he were looking for a VP spot. Plus I can totally see him ending up with a very good cabinet position.

I really do wonder who it will be.

And I still want Mittens with McCain, great comedy potential there.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

And I still want Mittens with McCain, great comedy potential there.
I'm glad to see all these Obama supporters rooting for Romney to be on the ticket. I saw a poll not long ago showing that McCain's best bet by far is with Romney, and that adding him improves McCain's poll numbers tremendously, much more than Pawlenty or anyone else.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
As for Biden, I think he's a reasonably good pick, but he has also really ripped into McCain which I don't think he would have done so openly and explicitly if he were looking for a VP spot. Plus I can totally see him ending up with a very good cabinet position.
I think Biden, after 35 years as a senator, would consider anything below VP to be a demotion.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Biden is my man, I've expressed it before but he is chairman of the FRC and he was arguably the most powerful Dem Senator in Congress before the '08 race and with his increasing public stature, I'm not sure there is doubt anymore. Of course, I am biased.

It would be a demotion for him and Kaine or Bayh might serve Obama better strategically.

Biden, as much as I like him, is viewed as another "token NE liberal" in large part. I can hear it now, the comparisons to Dukakis, Kerry etc.

Bayh and Kaine might bring in some of those demos that Obama is struggling to keep.
I'd rather have Biden tearing up people in Senate hearings than going to glad-handing ceremonies.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

i think bayh is a good choice.

true, it could be considered a demotion for Biden, but he is a giant on foreign policy, and he also wants the presidency. this legitimizes him for a run in 8 years -- whether or not Obama gets a second term -- or for another run in 2012 if Obama loses (though Hillary will be super-hard to beat should Obama lose).
Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
McCain considering Eric Cantor

In veep search, McCain asks Cantor for records - Yahoo! News

Cantor has strong support among the party's conservatives, perhaps comforting a segment of the GOP base that has been reluctant to embrace McCain, who has often been at odds with members of his own party on several issues, including a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, federal funds for embryonic stem cell research and campaign finance reform.

Since his four terms in the Virginia House of Delegates starting in the early 1990s, Cantor has been part of the anti-tax wing of Virginia's Republican Party. His longtime advocacy for business and corporate interests in the General Assembly earned Cantor the derisive nickname "Overdog" from Democrats in Richmond.

Cantor is Jewish and is among Israel's most avid congressional supporters. His addition to the ticket could help the GOP win over Jewish votes this year. If McCain wins, Cantor would become the first Jewish vice president.

Cantor also would provide youth to the ticket as McCain turns 72 later this month.

Cantor could provide McCain with an important asset in Virginia, a state that last backed a Democrat for president in 1964 but which both parties are now targeting as a battleground.

When you're John McCain and you can't find a Right Wing Christian that you can stomach long enough to campaign with and sure up that base, it's probably just as good to go with the only Neocon Zionist in Congress.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
McCain considering Eric Cantor

In veep search, McCain asks Cantor for records - Yahoo! News

Cantor has strong support among the party's conservatives, perhaps comforting a segment of the GOP base that has been reluctant to embrace McCain, who has often been at odds with members of his own party on several issues, including a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, federal funds for embryonic stem cell research and campaign finance reform.

Since his four terms in the Virginia House of Delegates starting in the early 1990s, Cantor has been part of the anti-tax wing of Virginia's Republican Party. His longtime advocacy for business and corporate interests in the General Assembly earned Cantor the derisive nickname "Overdog" from Democrats in Richmond.

Cantor is Jewish and is among Israel's most avid congressional supporters. His addition to the ticket could help the GOP win over Jewish votes this year. If McCain wins, Cantor would become the first Jewish vice president.

Cantor also would provide youth to the ticket as McCain turns 72 later this month.

Cantor could provide McCain with an important asset in Virginia, a state that last backed a Democrat for president in 1964 but which both parties are now targeting as a battleground.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "who?"

Come on John, pick someone good.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:01 AM   #134
War Child

Obama VP Pick: Kathleen Sebelius (Gov. of KS)

The person actually winning the Veepstakes market (trading in the highest)over at CNN (I do spend time at OTHER websites too) is Kathleen Sebelius, the 2nd term Governor of Kansas.

Think of what Obama has said about his VP:

"I'm going to want somebody with integrity. I'm going to want somebody with independence -- who's willing to tell me where he thinks, or she thinks, I'm wrong. And I'm going to want somebody who shares a vision of the country: where we need to go -- that we've got to fundamentally change not only our policies, but how politics work, how business is done in Washington."

So far one of the only people on the vetting lists that really meets that is Kathleen Sebelius.

Obama doesn't need or want someone strong on Defense etc etc. He doesn't need to remind people of what people perceive he is weak in. He has shown he has the wisdom to make good judgments in this area, and that he can surround himself with a strong cabinet and advisors. He doesn't need it in a VP. Polls show VPs have little impact on people's selection at the poll, it's all about who is at the top of the ticket, not at the bottom. He doesn't need someone to help him win a State. Sadly, he needs someone who believes as he does should something happen to him.

Her politics match his. She refused to take campaign contributions from insurers, and she has been praised for her bipartisan approach to governing, a useful trait in a state where Republicans have usually controlled the Legislature, and in the spirit of Obama's goals of "reaching across the aisle".

Talk about reaching across the aisle. This Kansas governor convinced a Republican to leave his party, become a Democrat, and run as her lieutenant governor. Kansas is full of stories of Republicans undergoing conversions, and Sebelius gets a hefty amount of credit for this.

In February 2006, the White House Project named Sebelius one of its "8 in '08", a group of eight female politicians who could possibly run and/or be elected president in 2008.

In November 2005 Time named Sebelius as one of the five best governors in America, praising her for eliminating a $1.1 billion debt she inherited, ferreting out waste in state government, and strongly supporting public education all without raising taxes.

She was chosen by the Democratic Party's congressional leaders to give their party's official response to Republican President George W. Bush's State of the Union Address. The next day, she endorsed Obama's campaign, one week before the Kansas caucus on Super Tuesday (which he won handily - winning more votes than Clinton and McCain combined).

Her only negative appears to be a "dry" speaking style in speeches. But Obama himself more than makes up for it in the charisma department.

Her official bio is here.

I used to think Obama needed Sebelius to gain back women...now I realize that's not the case. He needs her to compliment his vision of Change in Washington.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiloj View Post

"I'm going to want somebody with integrity. I'm going to want somebody with independence -- who's willing to tell me where he thinks, or she thinks, I'm wrong.
You see how Obama gins up that mass hysteria with this kind of talk. The guys dangerous, people, I'm telling you. You gotta watch him!