2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? It is? Weird.

I'd like to see McCain pick Romney, but I predict Pawlenty.
I'd like to see Obama pick Kaine, but I predict Biden.

I really want Obama to pick Biden.

Biden is by far the best candidate.

Nobody knows who Kaine is, and Bayh is too much a political decision, just to get votes in Indiana/Ohio.

Hey this would be great...

Two people who plagiarized on the same ticket....LOL They can learn from each other....

HAHAHHAHA:doh:

Obama and veep choice to campaign on Saturday

Aug 19, 9:43 PM (ET)

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS and BETH FOUHY

www.Newsmax.com

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Barack Obama's newly minted running mate will join the Democratic hopeful onstage Saturday at a rally in this capital city where Obama launched his White House bid, a campaign official said.

A senior Obama adviser told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Tuesday that Obama and his veep choice will appear in front of the former state Capitol where Abraham Lincoln once served. The last time Obama appeared there, he announced he was running for president.

The disclosure narrowed the window Obama has to reveal his running mate. The list of possibilities is widely believed to be down to Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, who planned to campaign with Obama Thursday in his home state.

Obama strategist Anita Dunn wouldn't respond directly when asked if the Springfield event would be Obama's first appearance with his choice, but she suggested the two wouldn't necessarily be related. The campaign has said it will announce the choice on an episode of South Park, where Obama will appear at a rally playing himself sending a cell phone text message to supporters.

"We could pick up the V.P. any time an episode of South Park airs." Dunn said in an interview.

Biden plagiarized in the 1980s, but that was not a felony.

Well, he also was guilty of international plagiarism, which by my book makes him a step up on Obama, who plagiarized from the Massachusetts governor's race two years ago.

:hmm:

Two peas in a pod.

I have been thinking this

and Nader has now said it

so I will post it.

Nader predicts Obama to pick Clinton
By: John F. Harris

August 19, 2008 09:30 PM EST

Count Ralph Nader as unimpressed by the crop of supposed finalists to be Barack Obama’s running mate.

“I don’t think he’s that dumb,” said Nader, commenting on widespread speculation that Obama’s choices are down to Sens. Joe Biden, Evan Bayh, or Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine.

The smart pick, according to Nader, is Hillary Rodham Clinton. Nader phoned into Politico Tuesday afternoon to offer his prediction that a surprise nod to Clinton is actually what Obama has in store—never mind the talk of mistrust between the Clintons and Obama.

“He just has to swallow hard and do what JFK did” in picking rival Lyndon Johnson in 1960, said the liberal activist and maverick presidential candidate.

It would be the smartest thing he could do.

It would give him an instant jump of 10 - 15 points.

Also, he could do this the same way Cheney choose himself in 2000.

Obama could say after interviewing everyone else, there were many fine candidates.

But Hillary Clinton has lived though eight years with one of our best Presidents ever and has been an outstanding Senator for 8 years. Plus, she has proven to be a campaigner that can reach the American people because she understands them. I could do no better as President than to have her available to assist me in bringing the change the American people want and deserve.

Will he see the wisdom in having the strongest ticket for November?

I believe it is the only thing he can do to win.

Sweet Jezus, you are right

Poll shows McCain takes 5-point lead over Obama
Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44am EDT

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.

The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

"There is no doubt the campaign to discredit Obama is paying off for McCain right now," pollster John Zogby said. "This is a significant ebb for Obama."

McCain now has a 9-point edge, 49 percent to 40 percent, over Obama on the critical question of who would be the best manager of the economy -- an issue nearly half of voters said was their top concern in the November 4 presidential election.

He better do it quick (time to bring the adults in)

before these pros that are advising him
with their viral, techie, animation style of campaigning get Obama voted off the stage, ala Sanjaya
sanjaya.jpg

“He just has to swallow hard and do what JFK did” in picking rival Lyndon Johnson in 1960, said the liberal activist and maverick presidential candidate.

Or Reagan/Bush in 1980. It's not all that unprecedented.

I can't imagine it being worse than Adams/Jefferson in 1796. :wink:

I don't think it is Hillary simply because Obama hasn't done anything to lay out the foundation for her. I was watching to see over the last few months whether he would sort of put his "change" message in context and somehow include the Clintons in this sphere as well, saying that they brought change in the early 90s and can play a similar role in the new century, or some such. But he hasn't done or said anything like this so I would find it very surprising now if he picked her.

I am not opposed to her specifically as a VP, and truth be told I doubt he is either - it's Bill that's likely the sticking point.

I don't think it is Hillary simply because Obama hasn't done anything to lay out the foundation for her. I was watching to see over the last few months whether he would sort of put his "change" message in context and somehow include the Clintons in this sphere as well, saying that they brought change in the early 90s and can play a similar role in the new century, or some such. But he hasn't done or said anything like this so I would find it very surprising now if he picked her.

I am not opposed to her specifically as a VP, and truth be told I doubt he is either - it's Bill that's likely the sticking point.

I agree completely...

Again, Biden should be the choice.

What has Evan Bayh done in comparison to Biden? The only reason to pick him over Biden is the perception that having him on the ticket will give Obama a better chance of winning Indiana and maybe Ohio.

Biden is the most qualified, the most experienced of the candidates by a large margin. He's got the most gravitas. And the fact that he's a 'New England liberal' doesn't hurt either.

I don't think it is Hillary simply because Obama hasn't done anything to lay out the foundation for her.

he does not have to vet her, he (they) know her (them) inside and out.

and Kennedy and Reagan both shocked when they chose their bitter rival, runner-up

I agree completely...

I don't disagree with anything you both are saying

and you probably are right.

I did post yesterday, I expect it to be Biden.

and I am TIVOing South Park so I don't miss the announcement.

But, if this is solely, or mostly about getting a more sure win in November, Hillary would be best to have on the ticket.

Whatever friction exist between Obama and the Clintons, is is less than 1/3 of what existed between LBJ and JFK in 1960. I will even venture to say that Bush 1 and Regan had a bigger gap than Obama and the Clintons.

As for Bill Clinton being the problem, that is just silly. Once Obama is elected, he very easily could sideline Bill.
And if you think he is not capable, you are supporting someone that does not have the skills to be President.

Obama's biggest danger is that his circle of advisers, that did manage to capture a Democratic Nomination for him, are still influencing him in what now is the "real world'.
Sure, they got him though 'grade school'. We are beyond that now.

Two Against The One
By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

In the dead of night in a small hideaway office in the deserted Capitol, a clandestine meeting takes place between two senators with one goal.

They grin at each other as they lift their celebratory shots of brutally cold Stolichnaya.

“Our toast to The One,” they say in unison, “is that he’s toast.”

“Obama should have picked you, Hillary,” John McCain tells her. “It isn’t fair, my friend. But it just makes it easier for me to whup him.”

“Don’t worry, John, I’ve put it behind me,” Hillary replies. “I’m looking toward the future now, a future that looks very bright, once we send Twig Legs back to the back bench.”

They chortle with delight.

“He’s a bright young man, but he got ahead of himself,” McCain says. “He needs to be taught a lesson, and we’re the ones to do it. Have you seen the new Bloomberg poll? Obama’s dropped and we’re even again. The Bullet’s getting all the credit, but you and I know, Hillary, that it’s these top-secret counseling sessions we’re having. And thanks again for BlackBerrying me the Rick Warren questions while I was in the so-called cone of silence.”

“Oh, John, you know I love you and I’m happy to help,” Hillary says. “The themes you took from me are working great — painting Obama as an elitist and out-of-touch celebrity, when we’re rich celebrities, too. Turning his big rallies and pretty words into character flaws, charging him with playing the race card — that one always cracks me up. And accusing the media, especially NBC, of playing favorites. It’s easy to get the stupid press to navel-gaze; they’re so insecure.”

“They’re all pinko Commies,” McCain laughs. “Especially since they deserted me for The Messiah. Seriously, Hill, that Paris-Britney ad you came up with was brilliant. I owe you.”

Looking pleased, Hillary expertly downs another shot. “His secret fear is being seen as a dumb blonde,” she says. “He wants to take a short cut to the top and pose on glossy magazine covers, but he doesn’t want to be seen as a glib pretty boy.”

McCain lifts his glass to her admiringly. “If I do say so myself, while the rookie was surfing in Hawaii, I ate his pupus for lunch. Pictures of him pushing around a golf ball while I’m pushing around Putin. Priceless.”

“I have a little secret to tell you about that, John. Bill made it happen. He loves you so much. He called Putin and told him that if he invaded Georgia, he could count on being invited to the Clinton Global Initiative every year for the rest of his life.”

“Wow. Should I call him? I saw your husband’s kind words about me in Las Vegas on Monday, saying I’d be just as good as Obama on climate change.”

“I think he’d like that,” Hillary smiles. “He’s still boiling at Obama. And you don’t have to worry about my army of angry women. We’ve spread the word in the feminist underground — as opposed to that wacky Obama Weather Underground — that ‘catharsis’ is code for ‘No surrender.’ My gals know when I say ‘We may have started on two separate paths but we’re on one journey now’ that Skinny’s journey is to the nearest exit.”

“But Obama’s says he’s finally ready to hit back,” McCain says, frowning. “He’s starting a blistering TV campaign and attacking me for attacking his patriotism.”

“Now, John, you know that every time he tries to get tough, he quickly runs out of gas. Sometimes in debates, he’d be exhausted by the third question. He must use up all his energy in the gym. He doesn’t have any stamina, and he certainly doesn’t have our bloodlust. Besides, you can throw that Mark Penn stuff at him that I couldn’t use in a Democratic primary about how he’s not fundamentally American in his thinking and values. While he’s up on his high-minded pedestal, you’ll scoot past him in your Ferragamos.”

“How can I ever thank you, my friend?”

“You can announce that you won’t be running for re-election because you’d be 76, and you can pick somebody really lame to run with, like your pal Lieberman. That means one term for you, and two for me.”

“It’s a deal,” McCain says, sticking out his hand to shake on it. “That was inspired to snatch his convention away — makes him look so weak. Listen, why don’t you stop in Sedona on the way to Denver? Wear a black wig and I’ll spirit you up to the cabin for the night. I’ll catch a catfish in the mill pond and grill it for you. It will be an adventure.” There’s a knock on the door. Jesse Jackson sticks his head into the meeting.

“Is it over?” he asks his co-conspirators.

“Yes, he’s over,” they respond in unison.

oh, MoDo.

As for Bill Clinton being the problem, that is just silly. Once Obama is elected, he very easily could sideline Bill.
And if you think he is not capable, you are supporting someone that does not have the skills to be President.

I don't think Hillary could sideline Bill.

And I have long gotten the sense that she was not 100% okay with everything he did/said back in the primary.

My feeling is that Bill feels slighted over how he was perceived in the primary (esp. the race stuff), but I think he was also honest when he said the wished that he hadn't done certain things. So if he could not be sidelined for and by his wife....should I assume she doesn't have the skills to be President either?

Like I said, I'm not opposed to Hillary being VP at all. I am not a fan of Biden because I think he suffers from the foot-in-mouth disease a lot and that is something that they can't gamble with. But oh well, nobody is asking me anyway!

I think too much - and chemicals have turned my brain into a sponge.

oh, MoDo.

/\ that may be a fun exercise in creative writing.

and will win some favor with people that are 'blinded' by their hatred of all things "Clinton".

but, anyone with moderate intelligence will not take it seriously.

why? just too many moving parts.

my theory for a McCain win, and it is only my theory.
but, it is more plausible. imho.

why? less moving parts.

and it is almost entirely contingent upon McCain's actions, alone.

here it is:

McCain surprises with his V P nomination, Mitt Romney.

and he pledges to serve only one term.

1. Romney won over many conservatives during the GOP primary

2. A couple of things about those Mormons, they are anti- gay marriage and strong pro-life (something the conservatives seem to agree with? maybe? )

now here is the part that you may need to prepare yourself for.

3. with the one term pledge from McCain and Romney as the V P, who would be the likely GOP nominee in 2012 ????? one guess >>>>> Romney :shrug:

but he is a smelly Mormon :barf:

the Democratic Nominee would have a cakewalk :yes:

and who would the Democratic nominee be?

not Obama, he is a loser :no:

I wonder who ???

Now, who will win the most if Romney if the nominee ????

Will PUMAS like the McCain/ Romney ticket / pledge, could some (just enough) even cast a vote for 2012 in 2008?

(it is kind of like chess, a lot of strategy and planning 5 moves ahead. )

I am not a fan of Biden because I think he suffers from the foot-in-mouth disease a lot and that is something that they can't gamble with.

I would argue that that is a good thing. His foot gets in his mouth not out of stupidity or lack of knowledge but out of his tendency to speak off the cuff, off the top of his head. This, to me, makes him come across to be more like a real person, whose every word isn't calculated to please this group or that group.

Biden - a typical white person, just like Grandma !

I would argue that that is a good thing. His foot gets in his mouth not out of stupidity or lack of knowledge but out of his tendency to speak off the cuff, off the top of his head. This, to me, makes him come across to be more like a real person, whose every word isn't calculated to please this group or that group.

It will be fun to watch him introduce Obama,

Barack Obama, "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

or

This isn't his first such lapse: In another unguarded moment last summer, Biden said, "You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin Donuts [in Delaware] unless you have a slight Indian accent."

is there more here than meets the eye?

Is Obama going after those "gun clinging" and "religion clinging" Hillary voters? :scratch:

/\ that may be a fun exercise in creative writing.

and will win some favor with people that are 'blinded' by their hatred of all things "Clinton".

but, anyone with moderate intelligence will not take it seriously.

why? just too many moving parts.

my theory for a McCain win, and it is only my theory.
but, it is more plausible. imho.

why? less moving parts.

and it is almost entirely contingent upon McCain's actions, alone.

here it is:

McCain surprises with his V P nomination, Mitt Romney.

and he pledges to serve only one term.

1. Romney won over many conservatives during the GOP primary

2. A couple of things about those Mormons, they are anti- gay marriage and strong pro-life (something the conservatives seem to agree with? maybe? )

now here is the part that you may need to prepare yourself for.

3. with the one term pledge from McCain and Romney as the V P, who would be the likely GOP nominee in 2012 ????? one guess >>>>> Romney :shrug:

but he is a smelly Mormon :barf:

the Democratic Nominee would have a cakewalk :yes:

and who would the Democratic nominee be?

not Obama, he is a loser :no:

I wonder who ???

Now, who will win the most if Romney if the nominee ????

Will PUMAS like the McCain/ Romney ticket / pledge, could some (just enough) even cast a vote for 2012 in 2008?

(it is kind of like chess, a lot of strategy and planning 5 moves ahead. )

after all that,

i think you and i both agree

that the Clintons are pulling for McCain.

I read that earlier today. It was a funny piece. Almost posted it myself.

i posted it for it's entertainment value. i'm pretty sure that the Clintons are trying to play this both ways, that they'll have to seem like they're supporting Obama, but, yes, they do want McCain to win.

because it's always, always about them.

and some of us were Clinton fans up until February of 2008.

Back
Top Bottom