2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the alternative?

he would not be the nominee if he had not played up his "I did not support this dumb war" in the primaries

He should stick to his convictions and choose Dennis Kucinich or Cynthia McKinney

I meant what's the alternative come November for Obama supporters who dislike his VP pick, not what are Obama's alternatives for VP.

Obama's supporters will support him no matter what, it seems.

He can change his Iraq pull out plan.

He can be for off shore drilling now.

He can be for FISA.

It seems that most of his 45% just want a change in what the next occupant of the Whitehouse looks like.

Bayh does seem to make a whole lot of sense. i would prefer the energy Biden would bring to the ticket -- and i think Hillary would be an interesting choice, though i agree with Obama, WTF does one do with Bill -- but the senator from IN does make sense.

the fact that INDY is so impressed with him speaks volumes to me.

and Bayh is a Clintonite. it's something of an olive branch.

I meant what's the alternative come November for Obama supporters who dislike his VP pick, not what are Obama's alternatives for VP.

Like deep said, it's not about the people already supporting him. He could pick Ronald MacDonald as his VP and they'd still vote for him. He needs to reach out to independents. Bayh is not greatly known outside Indiana. I think a lot of people aren't sure what Obama believes in, with him being so new and giving a handful of contradictory statements recently (drilling, financing, NAFTA, timetables, etc), and picking a VP who voted for the war and the PATRIOT Act may only confuse them more.

I do think Indiana is a crucial state. I have always thought that McCain would win it unless Obama picked Bayh, at which point it would be a toss-up.

Obama's supporters will support him no matter what, it seems.

He can change his Iraq pull out plan.

He can be for off shore drilling now.

He can be for FISA.

It seems that most of his 45% just want a change in what the next occupant of the Whitehouse looks like.

So the natural solution would be for us to just go ahead and vote for McCain right?

:shrug:

I don't think you really understand what motivates the Obama supporters (at least around here--I can't speak for the Obama Girls and whatnot). I know I've tried to articulate it, and it's like it just falls on deaf ears; you just keep characterizing us as mindless supporters of this guy.

So the natural solution would be for us to just go ahead and vote for McCain right?

:shrug:

not necessarily

my reaction to this election is: :shrug:

I do realize Nov is coming pretty quick
and I will have to choose one

I have always said Obama is a good candidate, but I prefer a candidate with more of a track record,

the one person that keeps making statements that bring this into consideration, is Obama himself

as for McCain he is the best person the GOP could have nominated,
despite this round of campaigning, he does have a track record.
that is the best indication of what kind of President he would be
and with Dem gains in the Senate there will not be any extreme appointments.

McCain has been positive? I must have missed that day :huh: Actually negative and scornful are two words that come to mind when I think about him.

(AP)

ARLINGTON, Va. — Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, often mentioned as a possible running mate for Republican presidential candidate John McCain, said Wednesday GOP candidates would do well to adopt a positive tone like that of McCain's Democratic rival, Barack Obama.

"Say what you will about Barack Obama," the Minnesota Republican told a conservative group, "people gravitate when you have something positive to say." He added that McCain has been positive as well.

"People want to follow hopeful, optimistic, civil, decent leaders," Pawlenty said in a speech to GOPAC, which helps recruit Republican candidates. "They don't want to follow some negative, scornful person."

Ronald Reagan still offers important lessons for today's Republican Party, Pawlenty said, because the former president was civil, optimistic, pragmatic and a good communicator.

"He actually had some ideas," Pawlenty said, adding that the Republican idea factory has seemed "a little stagnant in recent years."

Pawlenty, 47, said he came of age during President Reagan's tenure in the 1980s, but acknowledged the Republican icon is ancient history to young people.

"If you're under 40, that was a long time ago, man," he said to laughter.

The party needs to update its message to appeal to voters who want new ideas and government results and to counter the perception that Republicans are "not for the working person," Pawlenty said. He advocated policies like better training and performance pay for teachers, online college education opportunities and reworking health insurance to reward providers that show good results and save money.

Pawlenty shied away from talking about joining McCain on the ticket.

So abortion rights are negotiable but gay rights are not acceptable? Can't "work together" on that?

AP August 13

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Wednesday floated the prospect of picking a running mate who supports abortion rights and cited former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge as someone worth considering.

“I think that the pro-life position is one of the important aspects or fundamentals of the Republican Party,” McCain said in an interview with The Weekly Standard.

“And also I feel that — and I’m not trying to equivocate here — that Americans want us to work together,” McCain added. “You know, Tom Ridge is one of the great leaders and he happens to be pro-choice. And I don’t think that that would necessarily would rule Tom Ridge out.”

McCain had been asked about comments he made to several reporters during the GOP primary season about the prospect of picking New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg for vice president. The Arizona senator praised Bloomberg, but said the mayor’s support for abortion rights would make it tough to choose him.

Ridge, McCain told the magazine, would be more palatable to social conservatives who make up the base of the Republican Party.

“I think it’s a fundamental tenet of our party to be pro-life but that does not mean we exclude people from our party that are pro-choice,” McCain said. He called the gap between the two sides a disagreement - “albeit strong.”

“And I think Ridge is a great example of that,” McCain added. “Far more so than Bloomberg, because Bloomberg is pro-gay rights, you know, a number of other issues.”

McCain opposes abortion rights.

It will be one of Biden, Bayh, and Kaine. I think Kaine is a longshot.

Biden is the choice if he wants the most qualified of the three, the guy who will be the best VP.

Bayh is the choice if all he's thinking about his getting votes from Indiana/Ohio.

I'm really hoping for Biden. He is by far the best choice of the three.

Looking back, if I were Bush in 2000, I think I would have wanted someone with a long track record and an attack dog nature to silence some of my critics (re:experience).

And look what it did for him, he won. That's what it is all about.

Joe Biden FTW

It honestly doesn't matter who McCain picks, anything short of downright embarassing is all the same for him. I can't forsee a big problem unless he picks Romney.

another perspective

A Word On Trust; Or, Why John Edwards Still Matters

19 Aug 2008 11:47 am

Early in the spring, Barack Obama asked John Kerry for his advice on the vice presidential selection process. Kerry was too happy to oblige. Choose someone, he told Obama, that you trust completely. Don't expect the process to build trust. Don't choose someone with the expectation that you'll develop a trust.

This was, of course, the lesson that Kerry learned from 2004; he thought he could trust John Edwards; Edwards had promised Kerry that he deserved Kerry's trust; Edwards promised Kerry that he would be his full and complete partner.

It didn't work. And the recent revelations about Edwards personal life make Kerry's advice all the more acute.

In truth, there aren't too many potential VP picks who could be fairly said to have earned Barack Obama's trust. Not Hillary Clinton. Probably not Joe Biden. Not Evan Bayh. How could they? They've spent so little time with Obama, and none on neutral territory, when they have nothing to gain and thus no incentive to modify their behavior.

Michelle Obama, too, has counseled her husband about the imperative to trust the person he picks.

Assuming Obama agrees, it stands to reason that he won't choose someone he does not trust ALREADY.

He trusts Gov. Sebelius. He trusts Gov. Kaine. He trusts Sen. Jack Reed.

Why wouldn't he trust Joe Biden? I fail to see that reasoning.

Obama doesn't have many ties anywhere at the Fed level, so who is he to truly trust based on that reasoning? 4 years ago he was still at the State level.

The reason Edwards was a bad choice was because he always was a phony. And the insiders knew this but Kerry wasn't exactly a "rock star" and thought he needed to unite the party.

Moral to the story: forget uniting the party (Edwards-04), forget trying to piggyback a State (Gore-92), forget trying to go for a demographic (Lieberman-00) just go for someone who will not embarass you, who will strengthen the already wafer thin ticket and will help you win by eviscerating the Republican stooge in the VP debate. As far as trust...? Jack Reed goes on one trip with Obama and he supposedly has earned his trust, yet Biden and Bayh are 'outsiders'? I don't buy it but what do I know?

I tell ya one thing I was right about. John Edwards being a fake bastard.
"Hate to say I told you so!" ...that was a cool song. Whatever happened to those guys?

politico.com

McCain weighs a Lieberman surprise

Alexander Burns, Jonathan Martin, Mike Allen 53 minutes ago

John McCain is seriously considering choosing a pro-abortion-rights running mate despite vocal resistance from conservatives, with former Democratic vice presidential nominee Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) very much in the mix, close McCain advisers say.

Under strong consideration: former Pennsylvania Republican Gov. Tom Ridge, and Lieberman, who was Al Gore’s running mate in 2000.

Multiple GOP sources say that party officials in Washington and in the states have been contacted by the McCain campaign in the past two weeks and asked about the fallout from such a choice. One person familiar with the calls said the party was being instructed to prepare for different candidate prototypes — including one in the mold of Lieberman, who is an independent but still caucuses with the Democrats.

One obstacle for Lieberman may be legal. A GOP official said that since he is not a Republican, Lieberman may have a challenge being certified on some state ballots.

But GOP sources say McCain and his close friend Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) still haven’t given up hope on making what some believe would be a game-changing decision by tapping Lieberman.

Lieberman’s office declined to discuss the topic. “Those questions are best left to the McCain campaign at this time,” said Erika Masonhall, Lieberman’s Senate press secretary.

Speaking of Lieberman - very funny and apt spelling error in an article circulated by the Associated Press. Read the last paragraph closely:

AP-1.jpg

:tsk: With a last name like Pickler you'd think she'd be more alert to that particular mistake...

When I said I couldn't forsee a big problem with McCain's choice (short of Romney) I wasn't even considering Lieberman. That choice would end this race. And that's why he will never choose him.

Besides the abortion issue, he's a Democrat for Christ's sake. 72 year old John McCain picking a Democrat essentially to succeed him? Never in a thousand years.

politico.com

McCain weighs a Lieberman surprise

Alexander Burns, Jonathan Martin, Mike Allen 53 minutes ago

John McCain is seriously considering choosing a pro-abortion-rights running mate despite vocal resistance from conservatives, with former Democratic vice presidential nominee Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) very much in the mix, close McCain advisers say.

Under strong consideration: former Pennsylvania Republican Gov. Tom Ridge, and Lieberman, who was Al Gore’s running mate in 2000.

Multiple GOP sources say that party officials in Washington and in the states have been contacted by the McCain campaign in the past two weeks and asked about the fallout from such a choice. One person familiar with the calls said the party was being instructed to prepare for different candidate prototypes — including one in the mold of Lieberman, who is an independent but still caucuses with the Democrats.

One obstacle for Lieberman may be legal. A GOP official said that since he is not a Republican, Lieberman may have a challenge being certified on some state ballots.

But GOP sources say McCain and his close friend Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) still haven’t given up hope on making what some believe would be a game-changing decision by tapping Lieberman.

Lieberman’s office declined to discuss the topic. “Those questions are best left to the McCain campaign at this time,” said Erika Masonhall, Lieberman’s Senate press secretary.

The RNC just came out today and said McCain will not pick a pro-abortion VP, so no Ridge or Lieberman, thank God.

"Republican National Committee officials said Tuesday that McCain is no longer considering former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge.

Several sources at the RNC told FOX News that in the last 36 hours, senior McCain advisers and aides have told RNC officials that McCain “got the message” last week that choosing a running mate who supports abortion rights would not be helpful."

The RNC just came out today and said McCain will not pick a pro-abortion VP, so no Ridge or Lieberman, thank God.

"Republican National Committee officials said Tuesday that McCain is no longer considering former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge.

Several sources at the RNC told FOX News that in the last 36 hours, senior McCain advisers and aides have told RNC officials that McCain “got the message” last week that choosing a running mate who supports abortion rights would not be helpful."

Pro-choice. The term is pro-choice.

Back
Top Bottom