2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Then, facing more intense scrutiny in his 2005 gubernatorial bid, Kaine changed positions and said he favors abortion limits."

What exactly is meant by "abortion limits"? For example, restricting late-term abortions to medical necessities is a favourable proposal in my eyes and far from a "flip-flop".

Obama would balance the ticket by picking an old guy with foreign policy experience (Biden, Lee Hamilton, maybe a retired general)......

rather than a likeable guy but novice politician like Kaine. If the last eight years were any indication, the vice president has taken on a greater role. Would Obama ever call Kaine for advice on foreign policy? Has Kaine distinguished himself on any issue in his time in office? The one plus is that Kaine would help in Virginia, where McCain is competitive.

2008729153032510784_8.jpg

if the above comes to pass, it will seem that O sees VA as his path to V.

i'd go for Biden. i really would. O can play in nearly any state, anywhere. get someone to increase the overall power of the ticket -- Biden's superp foreign policy credentials -- and someone who, critically, *knows* Congress, instead of someone who seems to be more of a strategic choice.

if the above comes to pass, it will seem that O sees VA as his path to V.

i'd go for Biden. i really would. O can play in nearly any state, anywhere. get someone to increase the overall power of the ticket -- Biden's superp foreign policy credentials -- and someone who, critically, *knows* Congress, instead of someone who seems to be more of a strategic choice.

I agree. I'm flattered that Kaine is getting so much attention but I really don't think he adds that much to the ticket.

However if he did get the VP that would really give me a leg up into an Obama administration :hmm:

But I'm not that selfish :wink: Biden :up:

For some reason I don't have a feeling in my gut that it will be either Biden or Kaine. I don't think Obama needs Kaine in Virginia - he will win it or lose it without Kaine's presence on the ticket. Plus Kaine doesn't really add anything else beyond VA. As for Biden, I think he's a reasonably good pick, but he has also really ripped into McCain which I don't think he would have done so openly and explicitly if he were looking for a VP spot. Plus I can totally see him ending up with a very good cabinet position.

I really do wonder who it will be.

And I still want Mittens with McCain, great comedy potential there.

And I still want Mittens with McCain, great comedy potential there.

I'm glad to see all these Obama supporters rooting for Romney to be on the ticket. I saw a poll not long ago showing that McCain's best bet by far is with Romney, and that adding him improves McCain's poll numbers tremendously, much more than Pawlenty or anyone else.

As for Biden, I think he's a reasonably good pick, but he has also really ripped into McCain which I don't think he would have done so openly and explicitly if he were looking for a VP spot. Plus I can totally see him ending up with a very good cabinet position.

I think Biden, after 35 years as a senator, would consider anything below VP to be a demotion.

Biden is my man, I've expressed it before but he is chairman of the FRC and he was arguably the most powerful Dem Senator in Congress before the '08 race and with his increasing public stature, I'm not sure there is doubt anymore. Of course, I am biased.

It would be a demotion for him and Kaine or Bayh might serve Obama better strategically.

Biden, as much as I like him, is viewed as another "token NE liberal" in large part. I can hear it now, the comparisons to Dukakis, Kerry etc.

Bayh and Kaine might bring in some of those demos that Obama is struggling to keep.
I'd rather have Biden tearing up people in Senate hearings than going to glad-handing ceremonies.

i think bayh is a good choice.

true, it could be considered a demotion for Biden, but he is a giant on foreign policy, and he also wants the presidency. this legitimizes him for a run in 8 years -- whether or not Obama gets a second term -- or for another run in 2012 if Obama loses (though Hillary will be super-hard to beat should Obama lose).

McCain considering Eric Cantor

In veep search, McCain asks Cantor for records - Yahoo! News

Cantor has strong support among the party's conservatives, perhaps comforting a segment of the GOP base that has been reluctant to embrace McCain, who has often been at odds with members of his own party on several issues, including a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, federal funds for embryonic stem cell research and campaign finance reform.

Since his four terms in the Virginia House of Delegates starting in the early 1990s, Cantor has been part of the anti-tax wing of Virginia's Republican Party. His longtime advocacy for business and corporate interests in the General Assembly earned Cantor the derisive nickname "Overdog" from Democrats in Richmond.

Cantor is Jewish and is among Israel's most avid congressional supporters. His addition to the ticket could help the GOP win over Jewish votes this year. If McCain wins, Cantor would become the first Jewish vice president.

Cantor also would provide youth to the ticket as McCain turns 72 later this month.

Cantor could provide McCain with an important asset in Virginia, a state that last backed a Democrat for president in 1964 but which both parties are now targeting as a battleground.

When you're John McCain and you can't find a Right Wing Christian that you can stomach long enough to campaign with and sure up that base, it's probably just as good to go with the only Neocon Zionist in Congress.

McCain considering Eric Cantor

In veep search, McCain asks Cantor for records - Yahoo! News

Cantor has strong support among the party's conservatives, perhaps comforting a segment of the GOP base that has been reluctant to embrace McCain, who has often been at odds with members of his own party on several issues, including a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, federal funds for embryonic stem cell research and campaign finance reform.

Since his four terms in the Virginia House of Delegates starting in the early 1990s, Cantor has been part of the anti-tax wing of Virginia's Republican Party. His longtime advocacy for business and corporate interests in the General Assembly earned Cantor the derisive nickname "Overdog" from Democrats in Richmond.

Cantor is Jewish and is among Israel's most avid congressional supporters. His addition to the ticket could help the GOP win over Jewish votes this year. If McCain wins, Cantor would become the first Jewish vice president.

Cantor also would provide youth to the ticket as McCain turns 72 later this month.

Cantor could provide McCain with an important asset in Virginia, a state that last backed a Democrat for president in 1964 but which both parties are now targeting as a battleground.

I think I speak for everyone when I say "who?"

Come on John, pick someone good.

Obama VP Pick: Kathleen Sebelius (Gov. of KS)

obamasebelius2.jpg

The person actually winning the Veepstakes market (trading in the highest)over at CNN (I do spend time at OTHER websites too) is Kathleen Sebelius, the 2nd term Governor of Kansas.

Think of what Obama has said about his VP:

"I'm going to want somebody with integrity. I'm going to want somebody with independence -- who's willing to tell me where he thinks, or she thinks, I'm wrong. And I'm going to want somebody who shares a vision of the country: where we need to go -- that we've got to fundamentally change not only our policies, but how politics work, how business is done in Washington."

So far one of the only people on the vetting lists that really meets that is Kathleen Sebelius.

Obama doesn't need or want someone strong on Defense etc etc. He doesn't need to remind people of what people perceive he is weak in. He has shown he has the wisdom to make good judgments in this area, and that he can surround himself with a strong cabinet and advisors. He doesn't need it in a VP. Polls show VPs have little impact on people's selection at the poll, it's all about who is at the top of the ticket, not at the bottom. He doesn't need someone to help him win a State. Sadly, he needs someone who believes as he does should something happen to him.

Her politics match his. She refused to take campaign contributions from insurers, and she has been praised for her bipartisan approach to governing, a useful trait in a state where Republicans have usually controlled the Legislature, and in the spirit of Obama's goals of "reaching across the aisle".

Talk about reaching across the aisle. This Kansas governor convinced a Republican to leave his party, become a Democrat, and run as her lieutenant governor. Kansas is full of stories of Republicans undergoing conversions, and Sebelius gets a hefty amount of credit for this.

In February 2006, the White House Project named Sebelius one of its "8 in '08", a group of eight female politicians who could possibly run and/or be elected president in 2008.

In November 2005 Time named Sebelius as one of the five best governors in America, praising her for eliminating a $1.1 billion debt she inherited, ferreting out waste in state government, and strongly supporting public education all without raising taxes.

She was chosen by the Democratic Party's congressional leaders to give their party's official response to Republican President George W. Bush's State of the Union Address. The next day, she endorsed Obama's campaign, one week before the Kansas caucus on Super Tuesday (which he won handily - winning more votes than Clinton and McCain combined).

Her only negative appears to be a "dry" speaking style in speeches. But Obama himself more than makes up for it in the charisma department.

Her official bio is here.

I used to think Obama needed Sebelius to gain back women...now I realize that's not the case. He needs her to compliment his vision of Change in Washington.

Last edited:
obamasebelius2.jpg

"I'm going to want somebody with integrity. I'm going to want somebody with independence -- who's willing to tell me where he thinks, or she thinks, I'm wrong.

You see how Obama gins up that mass hysteria with this kind of talk. The guys dangerous, people, I'm telling you. You gotta watch him!

I don't think there is any way Obama will pick a woman other than Hillary. He still has a left of Hillary supporters who aren't on his side yet and may vote for McCain, and picking a woman would probably only make it worse.

And I disagree that he doesn't need to pick someone with foreign policy/defense experience. I think he desperately needs that.

Who the heck is Eric Cantor?

In other breaking news John McCain just knocked on my neighbor's door and asked him to be VP

Eric Cantor is my congressman ( :crack: ), he lives about 10 minutes from me in a very hoidy-toidy community. He's one of the most conservative members of congress, Jewish, and he's been one of Bush's biggest cheerleaders. This district is solidly conservative for him, I don't see him losing his seat in reelection anytime soon unless he gets caught in some horrid scandal :shrug:

By the way here's a fun little tidbit from Time magazine in 05:
Lawmakers and their staffs took golfing trips that Abramoff arranged--and sometimes paid for--to Scotland and the Northern Mariana Islands. Abramoff's now defunct restaurant Signatures was host to more than 60 fund raisers for members of Congress and often neglected to send a bill. At the lobbyist's delicatessen Stacks, Abramoff even named a sandwich after Congressman Eric Cantor at a $500-a-plate fund raiser in January 2003. (Cantor later asked the deli to switch his namesake sandwich from tuna to roast beef on challah, "a deli special that exudes Jewish power," wrote the Jewish newspaper the Forward.)

I don't think there is any way Obama will pick a woman other than Hillary. He still has a left of Hillary supporters who aren't on his side yet and may vote for McCain, and picking a woman would probably only make it worse.

And I disagree that he doesn't need to pick someone with foreign policy/defense experience. I think he desperately needs that.

Again, this is a misnomer. He needs to do nothing of the sort. He has displayed he has the judgment to lead on foreign policy/defense and that he has top notch foreign policy advisors ready to be part of his team.

As far as the whole he can't pick a woman thing, not true. The woman that he CANNOT pick is Hillary Clinton. She does not represent what he is hoping to bring. She was a great Presidential Candidate, but their ways of governing are profoundly different, and she does not represent what he is looking for in a VP.

I can't help but notice you are on the Straight Talk Express. It's no surprise you think he needs someone strong on Defense (which would then be manipulated in the Fall tv ads..."He is not strong on Defense so he picks someone who is...but hes the Commander in Chief...Ready to Lead?" and geez the Republicans have wanted Hillary in this in some way shape or form forever because of the enormous amount of partisan baggage she brings with her. It's not going to happen.

Obama's VP pick will not have anything to do with whether they have a penis or a vagina, it will have to do with if they meet his criteria to assume his type of leadership in DC should something happen to him.
And that's what it SHOULD represent.

Who is Chet Edwards?

Veepstakes: A New Name
Michael Isikoff
NEWSWEEK
Updated: 12:40 PM ET Aug 2, 2008

The "shortlist" of options to be Barack Obama's running mate is longer than most media accounts have suggested. In addition to the familiar front runners—Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine—there are at least two other veepstakes contenders: New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who enraged Hillary Clinton supporters by endorsing Obama during the primaries, and a genuine dark horse, Texas Rep. Chet Edwards, whose district includes President George W. Bush's ranch in Crawford. Obama's campaign had hoped to announce his pick this week to grab the spotlight before the Beijing Olympics. But now a decision is unlikely to come until the week before the party convention, which begins in Denver on Aug. 25. According to party sources close to the selection process, who asked not to be identified discussing an internal matter, progress was slowed by Obama's overseas trip—and because his list is more fluid than generally thought. Edwards, 56, has been pushed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other congressional Democrats who cite his work on veterans' affairs and nuclear nonproliferation, as well as his potential to attract Southern white blue-collar voters. Pelosi has called Edwards "one of the finest people I've ever served with." His stock rose further, one source said, after a meeting with Obama, though his low national profile remains a hurdle.

In fact, Obama aides have identified potential drawbacks to all the front runners. Biden brings foreign-policy expertise, but there are lingering concerns that his garrulous tendencies might knock the campaign off message. Bayh, who the sources say has been lobbying hard for the nod, brings solid centrist credentials. (An aide says Bayh is not "actively" pursuing the job.) But his wife serves on numerous corporate boards, and she also previously worked as a lawyer for drug giant Eli Lilly—an inconvenient link for a party committed to health-care reform. Kaine is seen as a "change" candidate, but he has no national-security experience. Clinton remains a possibility, but her chances are seen as remote, if only because of the near impossibility of vetting her husband's business affairs.

^ I guess we can forget about exciting VPs. No Romney, no Jindal, no Biden... looks like we might get a couple of basically unknown congressmen.

:yawn:

I don't think there's any "silver-bullet" VP for either McCain or Obama, there doesn't seem to be a single perfect choice, which is probably why this process is taking so long.

Senator Obama will be in Indiana on Wednesday. :hmm:

I think highly enough of our senator that I would support a Bayh/Obama ticket, but that's not how the ballot will read this Fall.

what do you like about Bayh?

i don't know much about him.

He, like Obama, is a wonderful family man (married to a woman :wink:) and just a decent, caring, fiscally responsible public servant. He's grounded in traditional Midwest values (list available upon demand) and is actually more conservative than several Republican senators. He's not perfect, I was disappointed by his votes on recent Supreme Court nominees but I've always voted for him as both governor of Indiana and as our senator.
Just don't tell anybody that.

He may get in trouble over his Iraq vote as well as with far-left groups like NARAL and Moveon, but I think if the Obama campaign and Democrats wants to win in the Fall than Bayh helps his chances greatly.

I wish McCain would pick him.

Lookin alot like Obama/Bayh

obamabayh2-small.jpg

This is breaking all over the blogosphere right now...mine included but in a nutshell, Bill Browning over at Bilerico.com makes a compelling argument that Obama wil announce his selection of Bayh this Wednesday.

To me, the smoking gun is the URL: http://www.obamabayh08.com , which has now started re-directing to the DNC's website!

I'll like this ticket, I approve of Bayh. Only he other than Sebelius really get my support. Should be interesting...

^ Not a bad strategic choice. As of right now, Indiana is the flip of a coin. However, he supported the war in Iraq and voted for the Patriot Act in 2006, both of which may anger some Democrats.

What's the alternative? They'll take what they can get, if he's Obama's pick.

It would almost certainly guarantee Obama a win in Indiana; hard to say how much those 11 Electoral College votes would matter though, and Bayh doesn't seem to have much name recognition nationally (yet). He's certainly not lacking on the 'experience' front, is squeaky-clean and has consistently been very popular across the spectrum in Indiana throughout his career as governor and Senator.

Back
Top Bottom