Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Baracopolis Greek setting last night

Quote:
McCain has the guts to do things outside the box by really doing it-unlike Obummer, who chose the "safe bet" picking a Senator who 's never swayed in his thinking and a Washington insider.
I don't understand where this notion of "whoever picks the riskier candidate" gets my vote/support/applause shtick came from. I don't want a risk. I want someone who is well-suited for the job. (Just speaking generally, I don't know much about Palin).

As an aside, it makes me wonder if McCain would have still picked this woman had Obama not announced his choice yet. This pick seems more like a response to the last two weeks than something well calculated and in the best interests of the country.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #572
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post

I don't understand where this notion of "whoever picks the riskier candidate" gets my vote/support/applause shtick came from. I don't want a risk. I want someone who is well-suited for the job. (Just speaking generally, I don't know much about Palin).

As an aside, it makes me wonder if McCain would have still picked this woman had Obama not announced his choice yet. This pick seems more like a response to the last two weeks than something well calculated and in the best interests of the country.

So did Hilary get robbed or not?

<>

Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #573
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Her son is heading off to Iraq in a few weeks....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #574
Blue Crack Addict

McCaincropolis?

Bob Cesca's Goddamn Awesome Blog! Go!: Presumptuous Greek God McBush
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #575
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

<>

No, she knew the rules of the game. It is not her fault the dems used proportional delegates and Florida would not count.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #576
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The experience argument really is about the top of the ticket.

When the candidate is perceived as a light weight, they must turn to their V P pick to boost their credibility. That is why Bush choose Cheney, and Obama chose Biden. They both needed gravitas.

McCain does not suffer from the light weight image problem,
GHW Bush 1 did not need gravitas either.
and easily won with (anti-gravitas) pick Quayle.

I disagree. First, what sort of gravitas does Palin provide, save for the fact that she criticized the Alaskan Repubs in her election for governor? "Maverick"--is that it?

Second, experience in this election applies to the top and the bottom of the ticket. As Dreadsox pointed out, McCain would be the oldest President in history, should he be elected. More than that, he is just a few short years from the endpoint of the average American life expectancy.

Palin spent more time as a sports reporter and a lowly city council member (and they criticize Barack's state legislature position!) than she has as governor of her state. In the split second it takes for a stroke to demolish a person, this would be the next leader of the United States of America:

Quote:
Sarah Louise Heath Palin (born February 11, 1964) is the current Governor of Alaska, and the presumptive 2008 Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States.[1] She is the second female Vice Presidential nominee representing one of the two major American political parties.[2]

Born in Idaho and raised in Alaska, Palin was a championship high school athlete and was the 1984 runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant. After graduating from the University of Idaho and working as a sports reporter at an Anchorage television station, Palin served two terms on the Wasilla, Alaska, City Council from 1992 to 1996, was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996, and ran unsuccessfully for Lieutenant Governor in 2002. After charging ethical violations by state Republican Party leaders,[3] she won election in 2006 by first defeating incumbent governor Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary, then former Democratic Alaskan governor Tony Knowles in the general election.

Nothing but a blatant stab at getting ex-Hillary voters.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #577
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFisher View Post
1. Obama was a senator for ab 5 minutes before he started running for President.

2. Ask Obama. He's run an entire political campaign on it.

when you want to be serious, and not swing wildly with generalizations, let me know.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #578
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
you severly underestimate facebook's reach on those in the 18 to 34 demographic by calling it "juvenille."

that said.. all i was doing was pointing out that nobody knows who the hell this person is.

and u ignore the fact that Palin hasn't been running for National office for the last 18 months.

<>
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #579
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
No, but if it had come down to Hillary versus McCain in November I probably would have voted McCain.

If Obama had picked Hillary it would have destroyed the Democratic party. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but somewhere along the way they would have stumbled and the Republican party would demonize the Democratic party.
Plus it's hard to have a two-headed dog make decisions.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #580
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
No, she knew the rules of the game. It is not her fault the dems used proportional delegates and Florida would not count.
robbed by being overlooked for VP slot, is what I meant.

<>
Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #581
ONE
love, blood, life

ahhhh - in that case - no
Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #582
Blue Crack Supplier

this seems to be the most coherent argument for Palin that i've found so far:

Quote:
We’re Surprised—but Why?

All right, now I'm excited. Back in March, I cast my primary vote for John McCain with confidence. His values, his stance on the issues matched mine better than those of any other Republican. His campaign was on a roll, the reports of its death the previous summer having been greatly exaggerated. He seemed to have the best chance of winning. But once he got the nomination, he just seemed ... lackluster. Granted, almost no one is going to look charismatic compared with Barack Obama, but when I saw an episode of The Daily Show with McCain talking to the press at a supermarket, standing in front of a large display of Dole orange juice, I knew what the joke was before Jon Stewart could open his mouth. . John McCain = Bob Dole.

But now he's gone and picked Sarah Palin, the young governor of Alaska for his running mate, and I could not be happier. Aside from her political bona fides, she is one cool woman. She's married to her high-school sweetheart, an Eskimo fisherman and "champion snowmobiler," according to her Wikipedia bio. They have five kids, all with slightly hippie-ish names, like Track and Willow. (No Prestons and Whitneys in that bunch.)

She's bound to appeal to fiscal conservatives, because she's as far as you can get from her fellow Alaskan Ted Stevens, the GOP senator recently indicted for "false financial disclosures" (read: corruption). She unseated Gov. Frank Murkowski in a primary and has both pushed through ethics reform and trimmed the fat from the state budget. She even killed the infamous "bridge to nowhere" project that brought Congress and Alaska so much ridicule.

Politically, it's a great move by McCain to appeal to the disgruntled Hillary voters that Obama might not have successfully wooed during the convention this week. Yes, she's pro-life, but she's not just talk. Faced with the heartbreaking news that her fifth child would likely have Down syndrome, she continued on with the pregnancy and gave birth to a son while in office, a son she calls "perfect." And like Hillary, she's one tough cookie. You don't take on an entrenched pol like Murkowski and succeed in a rugged state like Alaska if you're a lightweight.

She might have been a dark horse, but in hindsight, we should all be asking why that was so. A candidate who's going to appeal to the base, energize the campaign, and potentially reel in some Hillary supporters. Why would it have been anyone else?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
But Obama, Dean and Axelrod all changed the rules back to seat Michigan and Florida delegations 100% and give them 100% of their vote, as if they did not break the rules. There was no punishment.

Of course this was done after Obama had it locked up. And the Hillary wins could not influence the 20% of (super) delegate that no one voted for.

QthisFT.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #584
ONE
love, blood, life

OK but I want to know will breastfeeding be an issue?

Mrs. Springsteen? Do we know where she stands on the issue?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #585
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
and u ignore the fact that Palin hasn't been running for National office for the last 18 months.

<>
how am i ignoring that? please explain, i'd love to hear the answer.