2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in Michigan. I don't care what any polls say. I would put money on the fact that McCain won't win here; even if he picked Jesus as his running mate. Our economy is in the toilet. It's currently one of the worst in the entire nation. We haven't voted Republican since 1988, and with our state in the shape it is now; I doubt that will happen this year. Some of the most staunch Republicans that I know have said they're seriously considering voting for Obama because they feel McCain doesn't understand what's going on. I understand that it will be likely be close here, but I think hell would freeze over before McCain could win my state.

The Romney family is very popular in Michigan. All the polls right now are very close. I'm thinking Michigan is a lot like Ohio and Indiana, both likely Republican states this year. The economy is hurting, but the Democratic governor (I would imagine) is probably getting a lot of the blame. If Romney is the VP, I think they can pull off not only Michigan but the whole election.

do you really think two ungodly wealthy men are going to be able to speak with any sort of credibility about the Michigan economy?

/\ hey - they are *godly* wealthy men.

I live in Michigan. I don't care what any polls say. I would put money on the fact that McCain won't win here; even if he picked Jesus as his running mate.

I understand that it will be likely be close here

If you believe

it will be likely be close here

that suggest that it could go either way :shrug:

looking at it pragmatically and not emotionally.

( and I do believe Jesus would help with the Catholic vote )

the main motive for these hypothetical African-American voters staying home would be that they can't conscience voting for a party that failed to speak up when racist jibes were employed in the media (by Democrats no less) against one of its own candidates.

I was thinking about this the other day. (And I agree with you, yolland.) I was thinking how if this had been the case, if the same kinds of things had been said about Obama, and for the same reasons, I have a feeling that more people would have been outraged, and people may even have lost jobs and positions for saying such things. Now, keep in mind that I don't watch TV, and for sure don't read blogs and such, so I may not really have a true idea of what was said, but I think that people really are much more tolerant of gender-based insults and name-calling than they are of the race-based equivalent. We still have a long way to go as a nation.

Romney: Biden Clips Are Worse Than Mine

August 26, 2008 4:19 PM

ABC News' Teddy Davis reports: Mitt Romney suggested Tuesday that criticisms he leveled at John McCain during the GOP primaries would not block him from becoming the Republican nominee for vice president, arguing that he never questioned his one-time rival's readiness to be president the way the Democratic nominee for vice president questioned Barack Obama.

"The clips that they have of Joe Biden," said Romney, referring to a McCain attack ad, "are ones in which he questioned Obama's readiness to be president.

"I didn't say that he was not qualified to become president," said Romney, referring to his criticism of McCain. "Republicans in our debates pointed out differences on issues and relative capacity. That's very different from saying that he is not qualified to be president."

The former Massachusetts governor downplayed the significance of his primary clashes with McCain following a Christian Science Monitor lunch with reporters. Romney was in Denver, Colo., as part of a broader Republican effort to frame Obama as "A Mile High and an Inch Deep."

Romney is scheduled to campaign for McCain on Wednesday in Henderson, Nev. His office has not, however, released details on where he will be on Friday when McCain is expected to announce the identity of his running mate at a large rally in Dayton, Ohio.

Asked where he would be on Friday, Romney told ABC News, "Still T.B.D."

Sources say McCain has decided on his running mate, and will announce it Friday at 11 in Ohio.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now. There were rumors today that he would announce it tomorrow, which would be extremely stupid. As of now, Obama's gotten no bounce from Biden or from the convention thus far. No need to announce on Thursday.

Sources say McCain has decided on his running mate, and will announce it Friday at 11 in Ohio.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now. There were rumors today that he would announce it tomorrow, which would be extremely stupid. As of now, Obama's gotten no bounce from Biden or from the convention thus far. No need to announce on Thursday.

Haha, sources now reporting that McCain has chosen Pawlenty.

Haha, sources now reporting that McCain has chosen Pawlenty.

this is Gov. Pawlenty:

dan_quayle.jpg

Well, I heard it on MSNBC, but if something's on one network, it's only a matter of time before it's on the others. And I know you don't care for MSNBC, to put it nicely, but it's MSNBC, I don't think they'd go out of their way to report something like this about the Republican Vice-Presidency right in the middle of the DNC unless they were fairly sure about it.

Well, I heard it on MSNBC, but if something's on one network, it's only a matter of time before it's on the others. And I know you don't care for MSNBC, to put it nicely, but it's MSNBC, I don't think they'd go out of their way to report something like this about the Republican Vice-Presidency right in the middle of the DNC unless they were fairly sure about it.

This will be interesting-for future credibility issues.

We should be certain by tomorrow afternoon, if there are secret service all around Gov P's home, or Mitt's.

<>

Not to be outdone by Obama's text announcement

John McCain wants to show the young people he is 'with it".

He will announce his V P pick tomorrow on Wheel of Fortune with Pat Sajak and the ever popular Vanna White turning the letters over. :up:

politico.com 8/26

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact John McCain to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

“Rove called Lieberman,” recounted a second source. “Lieberman told him he would not make that call.”

Rove did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rove, President Bush’s former top campaign adviser and arguably the most prominent political operative of the past generation, has no formal role in McCain’s campaign. But he knows much of the Arizona senator’s high command and has been offering informal advice, both over the phone and in his position as a Fox News analyst, since McCain wrapped up the GOP nomination.

His decision to wade into the vice presidential selection process could provide Democrats fresh ammunition to tie McCain to the polarizing Bush.

It is also chafing some Lieberman allies and others wary of the selection of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“Rove is pushing Romney so aggressively some folks are beginning to wonder what's going on,” grumbled one veteran Republican strategist.

From his perch on Fox, Rove has touted McCain’s fierce primary rival as strong vice presidential material.

“Romney is already vetted by the media, has strong executive experience both in business and in government, has an interesting story to tell with saving the U.S. Olympics, and also helps McCain deal with the economy, because he can speak to the economy with a fluency that McCain doesn’t have,” Rove said on “Fox News Sunday” in June.

The sources spoke about Rove’s involvement after Robert Novak, writing his first column since being diagnosed with brain cancer, reported Wednesday that McCain and some of his close associates would like to tap Lieberman for the number two slot but that putting an abortion-rights-supporting former Democrat on the Republican ticket was likely to be unrealistic.

The column said Lieberman had made that clear to McCain personally at the behest of a “close friend,” but a Lieberman source called that “totally and absolutely false.”

Reached by phone, Novak would say only: "I don't talk about my sources."

The maneuvering comes just days before McCain is to publicly unveil his pick Friday at a large rally in Ohio. A senior campaign official said Wednesday that McCain has settled on his ticket mate and that the person is to be notified Thursday.

Lieberman has his advocates, especially among those who believe McCain needs to make a transformative pick to help disassociate himself from Bush and the GOP, but most establishment Republicans believe tapping the Connecticut senator would blow up next week’s Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn., and create major problems for McCain and the conservative base of the party this fall.

A source close to Lieberman said: "If it's Lieberman, none of us know about it" — meaning staff, aides and friends. The source said Lieberman is currently on vacation on Long Island, N.Y.

I hope John McCain picks Tom Ridge as I think that will maximize his chances of winning in November after taking everything else into account. The McCain campaign seems to have locked down Florida and Missouri, and are getting closer to locking down Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia.

The problem is that they are generally unlikely to pick up any Blue 2004 states, and have lost the red states of Iowa and New Mexico already essentially. Colorado is in the toss up catagory now that McCain has recieved his first lead in the polls there, but its likely the Democrats will win in Colorado. With Democratic pick ups of the red states of Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado, and no Republican pick ups of Blue states, the Democrats win the election.

I think if McCain picks Tom Ridge, McCain would have a serious shot at picking up Pennsylvania and would secure Ohio and Virginia. I doubt that Romney can give McCain Michigan or help with Colorado. Pawlenty is definitely the safe choice, but even with Pawlenty on the ticket and the Republican convention in MN, McCain is not going to be able to pick up the state.

It may be a risk to pick Ridge because of his pro-choice stance on Abortion, but in this election year, its the type of risk that McCain needs to take in order to have a serious chance at winning the election. The Republican party made the right choice in picking McCain, now to maximize their chances of winning the Presidency for the 3rd time in a row, only the second time it would have been done since World War II, I think they need to pick Ridge. Although I can still seem them doing well in many states, they will likely lose if they go with Pawlenty or Romney, because its unlikely either could pick up any Blue States or prevent Colorado from going Blue.

I hope John McCain picks Tom Ridge as I think that will maximize his chances of winning in November after taking everything else into account. The McCain campaign seems to have locked down Florida and Missouri, and are getting closer to locking down Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia.

The problem is that they are generally unlikely to pick up any Blue 2004 states, and have lost the red states of Iowa and New Mexico already essentially. Colorado is in the toss up catagory now that McCain has recieved his first lead in the polls there, but its likely the Democrats will win in Colorado. With Democratic pick ups of the red states of Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado, and no Republican pick ups of Blue states, the Democrats win the election.

I think if McCain picks Tom Ridge, McCain would have a serious shot at picking up Pennsylvania and would secure Ohio and Virginia. I doubt that Romney can give McCain Michigan or help with Colorado. Pawlenty is definitely the safe choice, but even with Pawlenty on the ticket and the Republican convention in MN, McCain is not going to be able to pick up the state.

It may be a risk to pick Ridge because of his pro-choice stance on Abortion, but in this election year, its the type of risk that McCain needs to take in order to have a serious chance at winning the election. The Republican party made the right choice in picking McCain, now to maximize their chances of winning the Presidency for the 3rd time in a row, only the second time it would have been done since World War II, I think they need to pick Ridge. Although I can still seem them doing well in many states, they will likely lose if they go with Pawlenty or Romney, because its unlikely either could pick up any Blue States or prevent Colorado from going Blue.

I disagree. As of right now (and I know it's just right now), McCain is barely losing the electoral college, but he's winning Missouri, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, and Florida. If the state polls hold, all McCain has to do is flip either Colorado or Michigan and he wins. Romney could do that easily, IMO. I don't think Ridge would help anywhere, not even Pennsylvania.

sorry Strongbow

I know you do very good sourcing on your information (and I believe you are in the midwest?)

But, I agree with 286
what I have seen Romney helps in the West,
Colorado and Mich, can't say for sure it is a lock,
but it will be McCain's job to close the deal.

touche'

then again i did vote for the guy who won, so perhaps mccain and obama should be begging for my vote :hi5:

McCain might be your guy,
apparently he will do anything, say anything to get your vote,
( he'd even give you his adopted Indian daughter, or so I've been told. :huh: )

now Obama would not even walk across the hallway and meet with Hillary and her supporters on Monday, and that was for 18,000,000 votes
(but he would fly half way around the world to meet with that Iranian guy who wants to wipe Israel off the map, and he has no vote. :shrug: )

I disagree. As of right now (and I know it's just right now), McCain is barely losing the electoral college, but he's winning Missouri, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio, and Florida. If the state polls hold, all McCain has to do is flip either Colorado or Michigan and he wins. Romney could do that easily, IMO. I don't think Ridge would help anywhere, not even Pennsylvania.

Ridge is very popular in Pennsylvania, a State that Barack Obama was crushed in by Clinton. His status as a Veteran will help in Virginia, the state with the largest number of veterans in the country. People in both Virginia and Ohio are familar with Ridge.

I've thought about Romney in Michigan, but I don't think his ties to the state are enough to help win it. It certainly does not compare to Ridge's ties to Pennsylvania.

I think Romney could help in Nevada, which is 10% Morman, but I skeptical he will help in Colorado which is only 2.5% Morman, although it sits next to Utah which is nearly 80% Morman.

I think Romney would be better than Pawlenty, but what Ridge can do that Romney is unlikely to be able to do is win over important Blue Collar Democrats, Reagan Democrats, who are up for grabs now that Hillary is not on the ticket. While Ridge is a move to the left of Romney, thats the move that McCain needs to take in order to have the best chance of getting the center and winning the election.

Unfortunately, the rumor mill right now is saying that he is going with Pawlenty.

sorry Strongbow

I know you do very good sourcing on your information (and I believe you are in the midwest?)

But, I agree with 286
what I have seen Romney helps in the West,
Colorado and Mich, can't say for sure it is a lock,
but it will be McCain's job to close the deal.

Why would Romney appeal more to Blue Collar Democrats, Reagan Democrats and Clinton supporters than Ridge?

I don't think this is an election the Republicans can win by staying right of center. They picked the right guy to head the ticket in the current political environment, but I think to maximize their chances they need to go with someone who will be a little controversial to the base, and have a broader appeal among independents and Democrats.

Ridge is very popular in Pennsylvania, a State that Barack Obama was crushed in by Clinton. His status as a Veteran will help in Virginia, the state with the largest number of veterans in the country. People in both Virginia and Ohio are familar with Ridge.

Does McCain need any help with Veterans, really?

I've thought about Romney in Michigan, but I don't think his ties to the state are enough to help win it. It certainly does not compare to Ridge's ties to Pennsylvania.

I think Romney could help in Nevada, which is 10% Morman, but I skeptical he will help in Colorado which is only 2.5% Morman, although it sits next to Utah which is nearly 80% Morman.

I think Romney is more than just a Mormon thing.

It could be a Western thing, too.

Utah has similar land, ranchers rights issues.

Obama and Biden and big zeros on these.

Back
Top Bottom