2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obys.jpg

nope.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26336195/

probably won't know till sat. morning via text according to what i read.

Yep. Apparently it's Biden, a guy who has been in Washington for 36 years.

So much for changing Washington. :up:

Not to mention his not one, but TWO miserable failures of running for president.

Not to mention his not one, but TWO miserable failures of running for president.

What does that have to do with anything?

Shall we talk about unsuccessful Presidential campaigns for everyone then?

John McCain lost to a talking chimpanzee 8 years ago.

Does that make him unqualified to run again?

What does that have to do with anything?

I just think it's funny how some people in here have said Romney would be a terrible pick for McCain just because he didn't win the nomination, yet Biden lost twice, and lost much worse than Romney.

I guess the Obama camp strung it out a little too long. It's not a big deal in the overall scheme, but it feels like they got a little greedy waiting until just before the Springfield event. If they'd released at 5-7 pm PDT it'd have been an actual event for the supporters who signed up.

I just think it's funny how some people in here have said Romney would be a terrible pick for McCain just because he didn't win the nomination, yet Biden lost twice, and lost much worse than Romney.

Well I don't agree with those people.

I think there are a lot of conservatives who see Romney as a big fake.

Just like John Edwards could never get any real traction for the same thing.

Yep. Apparently it's Biden, a guy who has been in Washington for 36 years.

So much for changing Washington. :up:

How long one has been in Washington does not necessarily have anything to do with whether or not one is of the 'change Washington' mindset. It's just a mindset. A willingness and desire to do things differently. You can have that mindset whether you've been in Washington for a a day or 36 years. True, a lot of people who have been in Washington for a long time are less likely to be of that mindset - or at least, of the belief that change can actually happen. But I believe Biden is of that mindset.

Biden was absolutely the right choice. I predicted it months ago and I really was hoping hard for him. I'm glad to be right. He's got a ton of experience, and in areas where Obama needs him to have it the most, he's got a mind of his own(i.e.he doesn't seem like a wishy-washy type who will change his positions with the wind), and he's capable of being president himself - the only reason he has no chance at winning a presidential nomination is because he's just a little too leftist...he's a New England liberal, he's one of the most liberal people in all of Congress, more so than Obama.

I think Obama/Biden is a tremendous ticket, and one worth fighting for.

And people don't say Romney is a bad choice because he lost his bid for president, they say he is a bad choice because it's a bad idea to add someone who is worth over $200 million to the ticket when the presidential candidate is already having issues with the perception of his wealth, and that it's a bad idea because Romney is a fake.

Who didn't gag after Romney's 'I can't think of anything I don't like about America/What makes this country great is the heart of its people' reply at one of the debates?

I guess the Obama camp strung it out a little too long. It's not a big deal in the overall scheme, but it feels like they got a little greedy waiting until just before the Springfield event. If they'd released at 5-7 pm PDT it'd have been an actual event for the supporters who signed up.

but the supporters who signed up got screwed over

the story was all over the internet and on the radio and T V News programs for several hours

without the text message released

except the fraudulent (joke) one from the Obama camp and all the hoaxes

Obama Plans Text Announcement Saturday Morning

By Scott Butterworth
Sen. Barack Obama's text message to announce his choice for running mate will come tomorrow morning, campaign aides said tonight.

The Obama campaign announced earlier this month its plan to make the announcement by text messaging, sparking a rush by political reporters (and many more Obama supporters) to sign up for the text deliveries. The campaign then used the cell phone numbers to send out targeted messages to their owners.

Obama is scheduled to appear with his running mate tomorrow afternoon at a rally in Springfield, Ill.

"Oh my God. Obama, announce already!" wrote itafroma.

Some killed time by sending out fake messages about Obama's choice, which we noted Thursday has become a popular online pastime in recent days.

"Will the last person to get fake Obama's veep text message please turn out the lights?" Time magazine blogger Ana Marie Cox wrote on her Twitter feed.

After thinking about it for a little while, I predict the Official Obama Spin for Biden's sharp verbal remarks about Big O's experience will be something like:

"To bring change to Washington, we need to hear contrasting opinions. Do Joe Biden and Barack Obama agree on everything? No. But after 8 years of squelching dissent, it's time for a change in D.C"

That's useful enough as a bland talking point to skim over a lot of Biden's differences. I hope his team has a good justification for Biden's 08 primary critiques, though, they sound trickier.

LATE EDIT- at least his camp salvaged a bit by released the text before the morning. If Bush had run this, I bet he would have stubbornly waited until 10:30 am, released news of a "time horizon" for the upcoming release, then not released the official word until 4 pm.

Biden is a good choice, fairly safe and acceptable. He could have done a lot worse.

Biden is not as safe as you think. He voted against the 1991 Gulf War to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait, a war that even the French actively supported with ground troops. His opinion on the whole issue was closer to that of Yemen and Cuba which voted against the UN resolution authorizing military force in the Security Council, than it was to the position of the rest of the members of the security council.

I'm not sure the Iraqi's will be pleased that someone who was in favor of chopping their country up into three or more pieces might be the United States next Vice-President.

Then, Biden was very outspoken about how the Surge would fail and was failing.

I'm not sure the Iraqi's will be pleased that someone who was in favor of chopping their country up into three or more pieces might be the United States next Vice-President.

Then, Biden was very outspoken about how the Surge would fail and was failing.

Of course you leave out the fact that 2 million Iraqis have fled the country and that the level of segregation has drastically increased. And Biden's plan was to have a limited central government, not to "chop it up".

the only reason he has no chance at winning a presidential nomination is because he's just a little too leftist...he's a New England liberal, he's one of the most liberal people in all of Congress, more so than Obama.

He's from Scranton, Pa. actually, and is less liberal than Obama according to this analysis:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007/03/mirror_mirror_on_the_wall_whos.html

the only reason he has no chance at winning a presidential nomination is because he's just a little too leftist...he's a New England liberal, he's one of the most liberal people in all of Congress, more so than Obama.

You know how it goes, though. If you're a Northern Democrat and to the left of Attila the Hun, then you're not "electable."

As for Biden himself, the choice is a bit "meh," but he could have done much, much worse (like that "Chet" fellow, who sounds like he's "Democrat" in name only). I also won't expect this administration to tackle banking/credit card abuses too much either, since, being from Delaware, Biden won't want to bite the hand that fed him. However, he's always been quite enjoyable to see on "Meet the Press," and he can help counter the view that Obama is too much of a lightweight.

I like Biden, and he's a safe choice, but I don't know if he helps in procuring more votes for Obama. He's more to the left than Obama is, and is from an area of the country where Obama was most likely going to win anyway.

That said, if Obama wins, Biden will be a great VP.

I think Obama/Biden is a tremendous ticket, and one worth fighting for.

I will say this. Of Kaine, Bayh, and Biden, (and Chet Edwards, I guess), Biden is the one I was most worried of.

Of course he does have downsides. Bayh or Kaine could have maybe brought in IN or VA, which will now likely go Republican I'd say. The northeast, except maybe NH, is safely Obama. And Obama is always talking about the war that should never have been authorized and waged, yet Biden voted to do just that. They'll have to explain that. Also, with the economy being the major issue in this campaign (43% vs. 11% National Security in a poll I saw), neither of them have great economic backgrounds. I think picking a governor could have better benefited him. Which is why I hope beyond hope that Romney gets chosen.

and is from an area of the country where Obama was most likely going to win anyway.

Pennsylvania and Virginia are nearby, and are considered swing states in 2008. Biden is from Pa. originally and Tom Ridge of Pa. is considered a possibility for McCain's choice.

i think they chose Biden, among other reasons, because the guy has a talent for the fight.

there's much i admire about Obama, but he's simply not very good at taking visceral joy in the destruction of his opponents in the way the Clintons or the Bushes do.

Biden will rip into McCain, and that's what a VP is there for, and this abets the point i made earlier about the possibility of the return of the HRC-Bomb.

Obama needs a shit kicker.

Why is Hillary subjecting herself to this vote? Does she know something we do not? Is she into self abuse, or does she have the votes for a very big surprise.:sexywink:

My friend got his text message at 3:16 am. I emailed him at 2:00 am with the pick and since I had a late night, I assume the info came out a while before I knew. That didn't work well.

That being said, it's not a horrible pick or anything which carries more weight than whether or not a gimmick worked.

Back
Top Bottom